PDA

View Full Version : Hmm, VC fighty lord, anyone thought of this?

Major_Blackhart
07-04-2009, 05:17
I'm sure someone else has thought of this, but I was wondering about an idea for a Vampire Counts fighty lord. Kind of expensive (maybe) but at the same time he can be insanely damaging in close combat:
Lord, Level 3 Wizard, Forbidden lore, Red Fury, Lore of Fire.
He uses the flaming sword of Rhuin and just keeps on hacking. S 8 attacks that hit on a +2, if used properly, can make him one of the most feared cc units in the game. In a good round, he can easily make maybe 2 or three additional close combat attacks. In an amazing round he can get 10 total (if he hits on all and wounds on all, possible with his strength and his to-hit rolls). One of the things worth noting is that he really doesn't need much (if it doesn't get dispelled) in terms of magic items. It can all at this point be mitigated towards defense.
It's a build I've been thinking about for a while, but I've been wondering: is it viable? Has anyone used this build?

Walls
07-04-2009, 07:04
I always play a vampire fighty guy. They're so completely underrated. Almost everyone I've played thinks they'll mow over them with their exalted hero or thane or whomever and then die. Infinite Hatred and Red Fury are amazing together.

Monsterzonk
07-04-2009, 07:36
For my Blood Knight themed Vampire Lord I use:

Vamp Lord w/ Dread Knight, Infinite Hatred, Frostblade in a unit of Blood Knights with the Banner of Blood Keep. Sometimes I'll add Beguile to his arsenal.

He's doing quite well so far, even though it is a LOT of points in one unit. Nowadays people just don't expect a fighty Vampire...

sulla
07-04-2009, 07:49
I salute all of you who bring fighty counts. It's so boring to rock up against a VC army who play with the count bunkered at the back. Kudos for at least giving the rest of us a chance to kill him without a large flyer.... I wish you luck.

vahouth
07-04-2009, 12:22
I'm sure someone else has thought of this, but I was wondering about an idea for a Vampire Counts fighty lord. Kind of expensive (maybe) but at the same time he can be insanely damaging in close combat:
Lord, Level 3 Wizard, Forbidden lore, Red Fury, Lore of Fire.
He uses the flaming sword of Rhuin and just keeps on hacking. S 8 attacks that hit on a +2, if used properly, can make him one of the most feared cc units in the game. In a good round, he can easily make maybe 2 or three additional close combat attacks. In an amazing round he can get 10 total (if he hits on all and wounds on all, possible with his strength and his to-hit rolls). One of the things worth noting is that he really doesn't need much (if it doesn't get dispelled) in terms of magic items. It can all at this point be mitigated towards defense.
It's a build I've been thinking about for a while, but I've been wondering: is it viable? Has anyone used this build?

I would also suggest Lore of Beasts and Bear's anger...+3Att, +2Str, +1T!
This way u could even bring down a Blood Thirster!
(Yes I know it's a longshot:D)

TheLionReturns
07-04-2009, 12:54
I've been playing around with the army list a bit because I am thinking of VC as my next project. I came up with something similar:

Vampire Lord on Abyssal Terror, level 2, Forbidden Lore (lore of fire), Red Fury, Rod of Flaming Death, Wristbands of Black Gold, Flayed Hauberk

My thinking was using him as a disruptive unit with his terror causing mount, and potential to unleash 2 panic causing magic missiles. Should a suitable challenge present itself then he can fire up the flaming sword of rhuin and charge in.

My main concerns are the vulnerability of the mount to massed missile fire, and the unreliability of getting the flaming sword cast. He is also a heavy point investment for a caster that will not really help much in supporting the rest of the army with magic (ie raising and movement).

I could downgrade to a hellsteed but that removes the terror which given his disruptive role is quite useful. Another option is to make him level 3 which opens up the higher casting value spells of the lore and adds a dispel dice. The higher casting level spells aren't really that important for the strategy though and the magic level adds cost to an already expensive model.

I'm sure there are more optimal choices but I think he would be fun to use and should make a good modeling project. This is all theory though as I am still in the planning phase so I can't give any feedback about how he performs.

Classical Mushroom
07-04-2009, 15:42
I normally use a combat lord always sounds better when you hear a Vampire ripped 20 people limb from limb with his hands. I have him using Red fury,Infinite Hatred and dread knight, with The balefire spike. Tho I have played with Red fury, forbidden lore using Lore of fire or Beasts. Makes for some fun games tho once someone knows your little dark secret they then dispel your Flaming sword/Bears anger :(

explorator
07-04-2009, 16:23
The problem with Bears Anger/Rhuin Sword builds is that your opponent will see it coming as soon as you announce what lore you are using. If you do get the spell off (look, double 6's!), the low casting value means your opponent will dispel it in his magic phase. Great on paper, but hard to pull off in a game.

Classical Mushroom
07-04-2009, 16:30
The problem with Bears Anger/Rhuin Sword builds is that your opponent will see it coming as soon as you announce what lore you are using. If you do get the spell off (look, double 6's!), the low casting value means your opponent will dispel it in his magic phase. Great on paper, but hard to pull off in a game.

You sir have hit the nail on the head.

You can get it off if you use enough dice but you opponent could have a Dispel scroll waiting in the wings, and like explorator said your opponent can just dispel it in his own magic phase. So really you have to make sure that when you use it what ever your attacking dies or runs away or you could be in a bit of a pickle.