PDA

View Full Version : WoTR 1500 point Gondor

backslide
07-04-2009, 11:53
well I have mordor and fallen kindoms stuff coming out my ears! so figure i should make a goodies list, like the Minas Tirith models over the Rohan so going with it

Epic Heros

Aragorn (can't help myself)
Legolas

Common formations

Minas Tirith warriors
4 companys
Banner

Minas Tirith Knights
6 companys
Banner, Captian

Minas Tirith Knights
2 companys

Rangers of Gondor
2 companys

Legendary Formations

The Grey company
5 companys
Halbarad
Banner of the king

Court of the Dead King
6 companys

if needed Aragorn can take all 6 companys of of grey company on an epic journey although it will take all of his might

combined with the court of the dead kings ablity to make his unit move 24" on 4 plus, could make for some rapid redeployment to turn a flank

add the moblity of the knights and it could get ammusing, legolas means a second infantry unit in the army can strike at the same time as cav or allow the knights to eliminate other cav but striking as a moster, though I'm tempted to get a wizard instead

Captain Shrike
07-04-2009, 12:38
This looks good, but I see no reason for the 2 knights, unless they are just an arrow magnet?

Jorgen_CAB
07-04-2009, 14:57
This looks good, but I see no reason for the 2 knights, unless they are just an arrow magnet?

Two company knight formations are great. You have them behind your lines and use them to flank enemy units or charge anything that break through the lines. They are 50 points well spent. I have used them in all of my two real WotR games and never failed me so far.

I do the same with Wargs in my Mordor force...

backslide
07-04-2009, 15:14
thats what I figure just use them as expendables, and go for a flank and rear charges

Captain Shrike
07-04-2009, 17:15
Two company knight formations are great. You have them behind your lines and use them to flank enemy units or charge anything that break through the lines. They are 50 points well spent. I have used them in all of my two real WotR games and never failed me so far.

I do the same with Wargs in my Mordor force...

Ignore, this you've answered my question.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
07-04-2009, 23:45
No one from Dol Amroth? The Knights of Dol Amroth are beast cavalry and nice models IMO. They are the lotr equivalent of Dragon Princes which are obviously dandy (hence the name ;) ) 48 ghosts that is scary :( . Its a good list but doesnt strike me as Gondorian just because there arent any real "Gondor" characters. But thats just my nonsense.
Good luck!

08-04-2009, 00:41
No one from Dol Amroth? The Knights of Dol Amroth are beast cavalry and nice models IMO. They are the lotr equivalent of Dragon Princes which are obviously dandy (hence the name ;) ) 48 ghosts that is scary :( . Its a good list but doesnt strike me as Gondorian just because there arent any real "Gondor" characters. But thats just my nonsense.
Good luck!

Second that about the Gondor theme. I'm fussy that way too. At least one Gondorian Epic Hero. Boromir in a larger formation of Gondorian Knights maybe.

I'm also not a fan of Army of the Dead for story reasons. As your opponent, I'd sooner see Rohan allies than ghosts. Again, purely for narrative reasons and the broader game experience. But that's just me.

Knights of Dol Amroth would be great but assumed the bank won't give you a loan to purchase a decent sized unit of them. :p

Nu Fenix
08-04-2009, 01:13
Depending on which look of Aragorn it is, it could most certainly keep the theme. One from ROTK would certainly fit the look, so it wouldn't mean he should use another hero just for theme.

Legolas I hate though because he is an Elf, and I hated what he did in the CCG years ago, lol.

Whilst theme isn't an issue for the Court of the Dead King for me, the high cost for the ability it provides is! That is alot of points to possibly move 24" in a turn. How often do you think you will need an ability like that? I ask as I found that getting into combat happened very quickly. Or is it to run through an enemy unit and turn around to face their rear and then proceed to charge them? As even against Orcs you will only be hitting on a 4+, since your Strength is only 3.

stonehorse
08-04-2009, 01:18
Needs some Avanger Bolt Throwers, those things are too good to pass on, they tempt me to collect Gondor, how I wish that Easterlings got their Artillery from A Shadow in the East in SBG... envy is a creul mistress.

backslide
08-04-2009, 01:31
that Easterlings got their Artillery from A Shadow in the East in SBG... envy is a creul mistress.

I suspect very few people would actually care if you just used modor boltthrower with easterling modeling the crew keep the same stats of course

contemplating droping legolas for Gandulf, can't afford to make him the white, but I suspect his spells of dismay would be a help to the court of the dead king, and story wise hes riding out to meet aragorn etc..

Dol Amroth, fiscal pain and I really do like the gondor knights models

I'm also not a fan of Army of the Dead for story reasons.

Iassume because GW followed the movie rather than the book?

Lord Asuryan
12-04-2009, 21:03
what are you talking about? court of the dead king is absolutely *******' incredible!

think about it. 145 points for a company with a captain (effectively) and banner, and shadowstride.

regular army of the dead with that loadout: 60+50+35:145. -shadowstride. and extra companies are half price. there is no reason NOT to take them.

Sarah S
12-04-2009, 21:05
It's 145 + 30 for the first company. So 175 points for the first company for the Court of the Dead King.

Jorgen_CAB
12-04-2009, 22:09
And any player fielding Warriors or Riders of the dead against me would have to endure me saying...

"Moreover, I advise that 'Court of the Dead King' must be removed from the game."

...at the end of every turn. ;)

Yes, they are a silly unit that shatters my experience of the game every time they are fielded. I also must say that I myself play with Gondor as well as Mordor...

Sarah S
13-04-2009, 00:52
What? Why?

Jorgen_CAB
13-04-2009, 01:25
What? Why?

They are a rip of from the movies who did a very bad interpretation of the Army of the Dead. That's why...

Game wise i have no problem with them, but they really hurt my imagination when I play. Anyone that want to field them against me will get that for doing so... :D

In addition to that they would only appear at one particular battle, most other troops are more generic and could more believably be part of fictional battles in Middle Earth, that is another reason for despising them as a troop choice...

wazyu
16-04-2009, 11:20
i personnally like the list but i would consider dropping aragon and go for a cheaper hero so then that you have more points to play with

wazyu