PDA

View Full Version : [WOTR]General discussion

Lotoc_Sabbath
07-04-2009, 14:05
Hi guys, here is the general thread of wotr any problems for rules for hobby discussions and for modellism post them here!

Hope you enjoy it!

takaetun
07-04-2009, 14:09
Yes. This is, indeed, the general forum for discussion of War of the Ring, questions, complaints, rules queries, hobby discussion, etc.

So, why did you feel it necessary to post this thread in said forum?

Lotoc_Sabbath
07-04-2009, 14:12
Hey Guys I just have one important question you guys you need to help me figure out.
So in the wotr rule book there is written that the fellowship of the ring base needs to be minimum 100mmx75mm and this is indicated also for the nazguls...mimimum 50mmx120(i belive i'm not sure.) but also in the book there is the nazgul base is just 2 in infantry bases attached together what does this mean? and if it is written minimun can the base be bigger? I need your help plz!

Rirekon
07-04-2009, 14:16
Yep, those sizes are just the minimum size, you can make them bigger if you want to.

Lotoc_Sabbath
07-04-2009, 14:24
So a base for The Fellowship can also be 200x150?

Spider-pope
07-04-2009, 14:33
If thats what works for you then yup. Larger movement tray sizes dont really give you any unfair advantages so as long as its at least the minimum size listed then youre sorted. For my own fellowship im trying to get my hands on the resin base that came with the Battle Games for middle Earth magazines. Although at the moment it would seem i would need a second mortgage to afford it off ebay.

takaetun
07-04-2009, 14:47
Larger bases, if used horrendously unfairly, can give a terrible advantage - I'd personally never play against them, but there are few who would not like a formation so wide that id cannot be flanked. I'm not sure if you can edit the sizes of basic infantry and cavalry formations, but stretching out a could of legendary units side by side could be justified as having the models in single file, and make them almost impossible to lap around.

Rirekon
07-04-2009, 15:00
You forget that making your base wider means your opponent can get more Companies into contact with it, increasing the number of attacks you'll be taking. If used on Companies which form Formations larger than 1 you'll be getting fewer of your own Companies into combat too.

Reducing your chances of being flanked is a poor pay off when you're getting mobbed, especially with the maneuverability hit you'll be taking as you get wider. It all balances out really.

Mouldsta
07-04-2009, 15:28
You'd also find it harder to manouver, harder to turn (since if your base is 3 feet wide you can't turn 90 degrees because some points of that base would definately move more than 6"). I guess you could have 1 goblin company stretched out infront of your entire army so they couldn't be shot, but it would die incredbly fast

shadowz
07-04-2009, 15:31
Actually, for the fellowship or any single figure model they normally count as a monster so that means only one company per formation an be in actual combat with them.

Rirekon
07-04-2009, 15:58
Actually, for the fellowship or any single figure model they normally count as a monster so that means only one company per formation an be in actual combat with them.

The Fellowship is a Formation of one Company actually, as are all of the other multi-character units.

Off the top of my head the Monster characters are;
Glorfindel
Sauron
The Necromancer
Winged Nazgul
Gulavar
Buhrdur

Hellfury
07-04-2009, 16:15
If thats what works for you then yup. Larger movement tray sizes dont really give you any unfair advantages so as long as its at least the minimum size listed then youre sorted. For my own fellowship im trying to get my hands on the resin base that came with the Battle Games for middle Earth magazines. Although at the moment it would seem i would need a second mortgage to afford it off ebay.
Is there a pic floating around on the net anywhere of this? I cannot seem to find what you are reffering to, so it must be either extremely rare or I am just not looking in the right places or both.

edit:

is it this one?
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/7273/0014xq.jpg

Captain Shrike
07-04-2009, 16:35
I have that base!

Spider-pope
07-04-2009, 18:19
Larger bases, if used horrendously unfairly, can give a terrible advantage - I'd personally never play against them, but there are few who would not like a formation so wide that id cannot be flanked. I'm not sure if you can edit the sizes of basic infantry and cavalry formations, but stretching out a could of legendary units side by side could be justified as having the models in single file, and make them almost impossible to lap around.

A larger tray is obviously acceptable only if its within reason. A slightly larger base doesnt give you many bonuses. And even a stupidly bigger base like you suggested would be terribly flawed as Rirekon said. Plus in addition to his points it would screw up your own shooting.

Hellfury, Captain Shrike thats the banana. My plan is/was to pretty much decimate it by filing it down into a square shape, with a bit of greenstuff to neaten it out.

Llew
07-04-2009, 18:25
Don't the rules say something about base sizes? I remember reading (either in the book or the Quick Play Rules) a sentence along the lines of, "you can make your bases a little big bigger than this, but you should try to keep it close."

Hellfury
07-04-2009, 18:26
Yeah that base gives me some ideas actually. I am already having the hardest time getting flocking to stick to the company bases with PVA because of those really thin points. The sand just chips off and then the rest peels away.

I think I might try my hand at making some scenic resin bases. Especially for the odder formations like the fellowship and 'The Nine'. Single sided gravity molds are easy as hell mold and cast.

miker1
07-04-2009, 19:00

That is only due to the base being an oval or circle.

If your base has parallel sides, more can contact it!

Rirekon
07-04-2009, 19:43
That is only due to the base being an oval or circle.

If your base has parallel sides, more can contact it!

With regards The Fellowship; It's a square base for WotR, 100mm x 75mm

08-04-2009, 00:31
I am already having the hardest time getting flocking to stick to the company bases with PVA because of those really thin points. The sand just chips off and then the rest peels away.

More power to you on making your own, but in the meantime, here are two recommendations:

1) apply another layer (or two) of PVA on top of the sand after it dries the first time. Then prime and paint. All those layers should hold it down.

2) Try concrete patch instead of PVA + sand/ballast. It has a coarse texture and goes where you want it to go. You can even dash a bit of sand on it when it's wet and lightly (very lightly) press it into the patch for added texture. It's pretty inexpensive for a small tub which should last ages.

If you put it on your model bases, just spread a nice thin layer, clip the slotta tab on the model - not all the way just leaving tabs under each foot - and push into concrete patch gently so as to rest on top. If you leave the whole tab on then you'll create more work for yourself filling in the gap reopened between the feet.

The added plus using it on the bases of the plastic models is that it gives some heft to otherwise feather-light, flyaway figures.

For your consideration.

Lotoc_Sabbath
13-04-2009, 08:40
Thx for your help guys i'm starting my 150mmx120mm Nazgul base!

Lotoc_Sabbath
13-04-2009, 08:51
Hey! today paying a match of mordor vs Gondor I had a problem with the poin of view of my Mordor siege bow.

The Mordor siege, that was on a hill bow needed to fire on a gondor catapult which was on the ground on the other side of the game board. But there was another hill in the middle which covered 50% of the catapult I could see the other 50%. Was it regular to shoot or not?

Kroot Lord
13-04-2009, 09:07
Could you see the crew members?

rakath
13-04-2009, 09:51
The hill in between would block LoS, but if you could see any part of the company (in this case the 120x80mm base the catapult is on), you could shoot at it.

(pages 98 for the Catapult and page 37 for LoS)

It doesn't matter if you could see the crew or not. Or if you could see the top of the catapult over the hill.

Lotoc_Sabbath
14-04-2009, 15:43
I couldn't see anyone of the crew but I could see the catapult and the base and 50% of the first crew men..

Rirekon
14-04-2009, 16:01
I couldn't see anyone of the crew but I could see the catapult and the base and 50% of the first crew men..

Line of sight and ranges are all drawn/measured from base to base. Other bases block line of sight unless either side is in an elevated position (special terrain feature or Mumak)

jkin1962
16-04-2009, 00:13
I'm new to WOTR and am currently building a Mordor force. I had a question about Morgoul Knights. Why are they included as an option for the Fallen Realms army list and not Mordor? They seem like a unit that belongs in Mordor instead, especially since the Mouth of Sauron is a character option for Mordor lists. Why do you think this is?

Nu Fenix
16-04-2009, 00:47
Because Morgul Knights are Black Numenoreans but mounted on steeds. Since they live in what is considered to be the Fallen Realms and not Mordor itself, it works better.

Plus, I think they wanted to keep Mordor as non-Human.

For the Mouth of Sauron, he has been serving the Eye for so long he doesn't even know his own name, and was likely chosen at a young age to serve him.

jkin1962
16-04-2009, 01:33
Thanks. That makes much more sense now.

Nu Fenix
16-04-2009, 01:48
Quite alright.

However, I do see them turning up as allies in Mordor lists, as it gives them much needed heavy cavalry, whilst still fitting the look of the army. So unless you intend to burn all your ally allowance on other units, then you should have plenty of room for them :)

Lotoc_Sabbath
19-04-2009, 16:43
Quite alright.

However, I do see them turning up as allies in Mordor lists,

For me Morodor has everything and its a perfect, perfect list.

Also at 1000 you can do what you want as putting the nine orgetting full of trolls.

However I have noticed that In a mordor list having a catapult and a siege bow is and very very important, helpful and it is a key to victory.

for example yesterday Glorfindel was annihilating my Nine nazguls...In one turn he was annihlated by my siege bow..in one turn!

Nu Fenix
19-04-2009, 19:06
I have to ask how, as the probability of one-shotting Glorfindel is extremely low?

He is Very Hard to Kill, so you would need to get at least 1 Wound on him first to even try and get a 6 on the second roll, requiring at least 4 hits.
With him being Defence 7 you would have needed 4's to hit him.
Because he is a Formation of one Company, you get -1 to your Ballista Table chart roll, so unless there was an Epic Hero with your Siege Bow, the best you could get is D6 Strength 8 hits.

So you must have had some amazing dice rolls to do that!