PDA

View Full Version : WotR Dumb question

miker1
07-04-2009, 15:07
Sorry about asking this - I have been ifluenced by the current Dwarf article......

A full cavalry company has an A of 2. If it takes damage and a model is removed this becomes an A of 1. OK, no probs there.

However, if there is a Hero on the base [ie Hero and cavalry] how many attacks does the company have?

************** DON'T BOTHER READING - I AM AN OLD FOOL! GAH!! *****************

backslide
07-04-2009, 15:20
1 but once a company gets that small it runs away

Rirekon
07-04-2009, 15:23
I don't believe Heroes have an Attack characteristic(?) so you would use the normal Companies attacks minus casualties - in this case 1.

That's only if it's the last Company in the Formation - it's possible the Hero is in a Company other than the Command Company due to the number of character models.

i.e. Captain, Banner Bearer, Epic Hero

takaetun
07-04-2009, 15:41
The company has two attacks, plus bonuses for charging, and, more importantly in this case, the bonus of the Hero's fight value in opposition to the enemy, as this would usually be higher and thus grant more attacks.

If a hero and a banner bearer are charged by a unit with an equal fight value, they have only two attacks.

miker1
07-04-2009, 17:42

I understand that - so in your [and my!] opinion 3 companies of cavalry including 1 hero have a basic 5 dice for attacks before modifiers?

The Muster of Rohan
07-04-2009, 18:28
Remember that the number of Epic Heroes in a Company (not Formation) can never exceed the number of "ordinary" (un-upgraded) Warriors. So a cavalry Company of 1 warrior and 1 Epic Hero, if forced to remove a casualty, would HAVE to remove the Epic Hero, otherwise there are more Epic Heroes than ordinary Warriors. Therefore you can NEVER have a cavalry Company consisting of a single Epic Hero. Likewise, you can never put an Epic Hero in the same cavalry Company as a banner bearer, Captain or hornblower.

See the fourth and fifth paragraphs on page 68 for more information on this.

miker1
07-04-2009, 18:56
Remember that the number of Epic Heroes in a Company (not Formation) can never exceed the number of "ordinary" (un-upgraded) Warriors. So a cavalry Company of 1 warrior and 1 Epic Hero, if forced to remove a casualty, would HAVE to remove the Epic Hero, otherwise there are more Epic Heroes than ordinary Warriors. Therefore you can NEVER have a cavalry Company consisting of a single Epic Hero. Likewise, you can never put an Epic Hero in the same cavalry Company as a banner bearer, Captain or hornblower.

See the fourth and fifth paragraphs on page 68 for more information on this.

I know!!

I am trying to ascertain whether a hero in a company REDUCES the initial number of dice that company gets before bonus'.

Rirekon
07-04-2009, 19:16
No it doesn't.

Sorry if I confused you with my reply - I thought you were asking how many if a Company containing a Hero suffered a casualty.

miker1
07-04-2009, 19:55
No it doesn't.

I asked this cos of WD.

The 60 dice that Alessio used in his combat report would be perfect for 5 figures plus Hero [3 companies], otherwise there is no other way that 60 can be arrived at!

I know that WD is notorious for being wrong [they didnt expand their frontage for an example!].

However a hero WITHOUT an "A" value REPLACES a trooper who has an "A" value, who if taken away due to casualties reduces the COMPANIES "A" by one..........................

Rirekon
07-04-2009, 20:39
Models don't have A stats, Companies do ;)
I believe the WD has failed to mention that Alessio rolled a 6 for his charge move (Unstoppable Charge, p47), giving him an additional D3 attacks for each Company - in this case it appears he rolled and got +2

So each Company has;
2 (basic) + 6 (charging) + 2 (unstoppable charge) = 10
6 Companies x 10 Attacks = 60 :)

miker1
07-04-2009, 22:26
Models don't have A stats, Companies do ;)
I believe the WD has failed to mention that Alessio rolled a 6 for his charge move (Unstoppable Charge, p47), giving him an additional D3 attacks for each Company - in this case it appears he rolled and got +2

So each Company has;
2 (basic) + 6 (charging) + 2 (unstoppable charge) = 10
6 Companies x 10 Attacks = 60 :)

The removal of a model from the company reduces its "A" stat though.

They mentioned the King called an Epic charge which improved their fight value by 2 AND the fprmation can use Theodens special F rule [too whose fight value was now 7]

2 [basic] +6 [charge] +4 [Theodens 7 F v Orcs3] +4 = 12.
5 companies = 60, 6 companies 72.

Only 5 could have got in if they expanded.

WD WRONG!

ME WRONG

OLD MANS BRAIN = SENIOR MOMENT! GAH!!!! For some inane reason I was saying 12x5=60 and getting the 5 from the ruddy number of figures - GAHHH!
D'OH!!

ALL IGNORE THE FOOL!

Rirekon
07-04-2009, 22:36
Ah, I forgot about the bonus attacks from Fight... er... I guess there wasn't an unstoppable charge then...

lol, what a mess!