PDA

View Full Version : Space Wolves???

Getifa Ubazza
07-04-2009, 18:03
Im thinking of doing a Space Wolves army.

LordofWar1986
07-04-2009, 18:05
If i used the Wolves codex, i would try to stick to stuff that i know wouldnt be changed to much or that contradicts the new BRB. So again, mostly Grey Hunters and maybe a squad or two of bloodclaws with detachable backpacks, just in case i need to change them to jump packs and a couple tanks.

This would be the option I would take. SW's will be getting a new codex within the next year or so. Unless you wanted to splurge right away and game very soon, I would still say use the SW's codex ;)

Lord Damocles
07-04-2009, 18:10
Seconded.

There's no point buying the codex when it'll (probably) be the next to be released.
It's not like you're missing out on all that much model-wise...
I perhaps wouldn't go buying some of the units like Thunderfire Cannons and Redeemers though, since the Wolves might not get access to them.

Ubermensch Commander
07-04-2009, 18:10
Either option is good. Eithe way, you are likely to bring some serious pain. The Old SW codex is just mean in alot of ways, and the new SM codex is just very nice. Probably one of the best examples of internal balance and how units work well when used with proper synergy, not just as sledgehammers by their lonesome. Not that its perfect or anything, just good, flexible, and with some work could be a good fit for a modified SW army

perplexiti
07-04-2009, 19:21
There's only one way to play Wolves, with thier proper codex. It still holds up well even being so old, and if you don't have it yet you can email canadian mail order and they send out a pdf of it for free. It's a photocopy but it's at the right price.

Direct.Services@Games-Workshop.ca

Most units shouldn't change much IMHO so if you stick to the basic stuff you should be fine. Although we will probably lose the exterminator from the list.

Netherghoul
07-04-2009, 22:05
I am thinking about picking up SW as well, any links for excisting miniatures & oop(also regarding decals)?
besides the stuff GW has atm?
thanks

Bjorn Stormwolf
07-04-2009, 22:13
I've got the 'old' codex, but not the new space marine codex... (been out the game a while... again!)

I have a few squads painted (see sig) but was wondering what the opinion might be about new plastics? Any chance or is it worth getting 'old' grey hunter boxes on ebay?

Otherwise it may be a few predators and forgeworld wolf guard termies in the meantime!

miasma
07-04-2009, 23:41
Huh, why do you think the Land Raider Redeemer isn't available for SWs? I've just bought one, but well if it's not possible to have one then I'll use it as a "normal" land raider or a crusader.

perplexiti
07-04-2009, 23:45
Wolves can use all the new land raider variants, its in the newest FAQ thats on GWs site.

Drakon
08-04-2009, 01:04
Wolves can use the redeemer I always run it in my army list and noone ever complains.

Wolves should be done as wolves. This means you should use the current SW codex. There are lots of benefits for doing this with all the counter attact and assault cannon terminators etc.

I have also stoped buying for my wolves until the new codex comes out. But if i go to add it will be basic choices such as more grey hunters, drop pods, preds etc.

spaze_marihines
08-04-2009, 01:06
well considering the faq says we can use all variants of the land raider and dreadnaughts thats a given.

tacoo
08-04-2009, 01:45
use the wolves. they have there own codex and are alot better in HtH compared to normally marines in new codex. i tried them out and my friend doest play nidzilla against it when i pul it out anymore. a squad of bloodclaws on the charge can rip a carnifex in half

miasma
08-04-2009, 02:12
Uhm I don't think they will create new Grey Hunters or Blood Claws, I think they are pretty nice and up to date, don't you think?

Maybe redoing some characters like Ragnar (I don't like the pose that much) and adding some new units

spaze_marihines
08-04-2009, 02:15
a marine is a marine no matter what. so buy power armoured space marines and give half bolters and the other half bolt pistols and close combat weapons and if need be a quarter bolters and close combat weapons

A1TEC
08-04-2009, 04:10
Go oldschool

Darkstar2586
08-04-2009, 12:57
Think you should hold fire to November *cough*