PDA

View Full Version : Making the best out of a bad situation-- The Bloodthirster, and Warriors of Chaos

Desalbert
07-04-2009, 19:12
Hey everyone, I'm trying to get my brother back into playing 40k and Warhammer with my group, because it was always fun with him, but he seems to always lose interest. Anyway, in my effort to help him remember how much fun it was years ago, I'm trying to get him back into the only army he used Chaos-- (in both universes).

Problem-- with the release of Warriors of Chaos now outdating his horde army, the Bloodthirster (his favorite unit) cannot be fielded anymore.

I'm sure that telling him that he can no longer use his most powerful and favorite model in his all-mortal (save the thrister) force will keep him out of the hobby, so, what can I do?

I notice the Daemon Prince has wings and such now, and seems to be the only closest thing to the Thirster, so, has anyone fielded the bloodthirster as a Daemon Prince w/ a mark of khorne? Has anyone converted this? Would this be an objectionable concept?

Otherwise, what about using the thirster as a giant with a khorne mark, if it didn't use wings? Is that ridiculous too?

In all, what are some game-legal suggestions to get the most out of a bloodthirster when your army is a mortal (now, warriors of) chaos army...

Malorian
07-04-2009, 19:19
You could say he is a deamon prince or could count as a lord on a dragon.

Or the new plastic blood letters look nice and are fairly cheap to buy.

The Anarchist
07-04-2009, 20:08
If its your brother and jsut having some fun games so you can remind hm how much fun he cna have then let him use his bloodthirster, and see if he wanted to take it further and maybe get a daemon amry with his beloved Bloodthirster.
also with the new plastic and relativly cheap model cost of the bloodletters he could easily go down this route.

hope it all goes well.

DarkTerror
07-04-2009, 20:17
I know it's not what you want to hear, but...

I wouldn't. After enough attempts in life, you begin to realize that trying to get someone into a hobby they're not naturally drawn to is often a bad idea. Why?

It's in his nature. If he wasn't into it before, there's a strong chance that even if you got him to play again, it probably still wouldn't mean as much to him as it does to you. And he'd probably be OK with leaving it again.

The result usually ends up with you being disappointed because of the effort you put into getting him to play, and him being disappointed in 'wasting time and money' on a hobby he doesn't care all too much about.

There's a chance he might want to come back. But given that he's tried it before and decided to give it up and you think it will be hard for him to come back leads me to believe that if he does, he won't be playing for too long.

W0lf
07-04-2009, 20:22
what he said...

Ubermensch Commander
07-04-2009, 20:31
Don't try and drag him back in! Let him roam free! He has done the nigh impossible and sundered GW's hold on his soul! Heh, ok just kidding on that last part.

But seriously, don't try and make him play something he does not want to play. My friend tried to do this with me with Warmachine and Hordes. If you just do not want to paly, do not play. and do not force others to play. Simply remember you had good times, offer to let him borrow an army once in a bit and play a game for old times sake. He may get the itch to play again if left to his own devices.

phoenixlaw
07-04-2009, 20:42
Let him use the old book !

simplest answer

sulla
07-04-2009, 22:06
Hey everyone, I'm trying to get my brother back into playing 40k and Warhammer with my group, because it was always fun with him, but he seems to always lose interest. Anyway, in my effort to help him remember how much fun it was years ago, I'm trying to get him back into the only army he used Chaos-- (in both universes).

Problem-- with the release of Warriors of Chaos now outdating his horde army, the Bloodthirster (his favorite unit) cannot be fielded anymore.

I'm sure that telling him that he can no longer use his most powerful and favorite model in his all-mortal (save the thrister) force will keep him out of the hobby, so, what can I do?

:evilgrin:Buy him the daemon armybook and 3 boxes of bloodletters...

Otherwise, what about using the thirster as a giant with a khorne mark, if it didn't use wings? Is that ridiculous too?
Not a bad idea. Take the wings off and greenstuff him up.

AramilSairSianontel
08-04-2009, 01:38
Let him use the old book. Play for fun.

Urgat
08-04-2009, 08:48
Or let him take the bloodthirster in his army of mortals.
But I agree if he doesn't want to play, there's little point.

Sleazy
08-04-2009, 09:00
In our group we have no problem with the old book.

If someone wants to mix units they use the old book to represent that, if they want the new gubbins they use the new book but miss out on daemons.

As long as someone doesnt cherry pick rules from both books we dont mind

Fenrir
08-04-2009, 09:00
I reckon the daemon prince option is best (even if a Khornate Prince is impossible - fighting gifts anyone?). You'll know what the BT is supposed to be and he won't need to purchase anything other than the book, unless he has already done so.