PDA

View Full Version : What is the most popular SPace Marine Chapter

orange-peel
07-04-2009, 20:50
I was just wondering what you guys thought was the top 5 most popular Marine chapter (you can do top 10 if you wish)

invinciblebug
07-04-2009, 20:56
1. Ultra smurfs
2. Black templars
3. Dark angels
4. Salamanders
5. Imperial fists

At least were I play.

Eldartank
07-04-2009, 21:56
CRIMSON FISTS! I couldn't care less about the others. ;)

Mannimarco
07-04-2009, 22:01
smurfs smurfs and more smurfs, usually led by a special character who is not a smurf but is painted like one

SPYDER68
07-04-2009, 22:04
Id almost say Salamanders is higher up on the list now.

Threeshades
07-04-2009, 22:10
1. Ultra smurfs
2. Black templars
3. Dark angels
4. Salamanders
5. Imperial fists

At least were I play.

The only smurf armies ive ever seen are in GW stores or the marine codex

weirdo2590
07-04-2009, 22:12
Too much smurf hatred from everyone above the age of 12 for many ultamarine armies nowadays.

Surpised no-ones mentioned blood angels, they're often highly played. Them and Crimson Fists.

LonelyPath
07-04-2009, 22:19
Based on armies I see being played:

1. Smurfs
2. Dark Angels
3. Crimson Fists
4. Blood Angels
5. Salamanders

the_reaper
07-04-2009, 22:28
Calling them smurfs, great, original, as far as I can tell, people only dislike them because they recieve the most attention and praise by GW, much the Geek vs Popular person in stereotypical teen movies, so well done conformists.

Ultramarines
Black Templars
Dark Angels
Iron Hands
Blood Angels

-reaper

orange-peel
07-04-2009, 22:33
Im actually surprised how many people have said Black Templars 2nd round where i play there is only my brother and he doesnt really play them anymore.

Inquisitor_Tolheim
07-04-2009, 22:36
Calling them smurfs, great, original, as far as I can tell, people only dislike them because they recieve the most attention and praise by GW, much the Geek vs Popular person in stereotypical teen movies, so well done conformists.

It's a nickname. Like many nicknames it exaggerates an aspect of what it represents, which could offend someone who is out to be offended. Smurfs is faster to type then Ultramarines, and everybody here knows who they are. It's really not that big of a deal.

From my region:

Black Templar
Blood Angels
Ultramarines
Dark Angels
Grey Knights

Most of the DA players use the vanilla marine codex, with a few die-hards who want to play DW or RW using the old one. I'm counting Grey Knights as a marine force, since you can run them as a pure army if you want.

Xelloss
07-04-2009, 22:39
Calling them smurfs, great, original

Agreed. Think of the smurfs.

Well from what I seen at my FLGS, outre-marins are the most common (well lot of kids bought black reach recently). Blood Angels and Crimson fists comes in second position.
Black Templars are not common (I'm the only one), but popular as people usually say "cool BT Let me look !"

Neftus
07-04-2009, 22:45
I see a lot of DA and BT.

Ironically the "non-conformist" marines seem more popular than the 'nilla ones where I play.

I have yet to see a smurf army.

Lord Malorne
07-04-2009, 23:02
Woo hoo! Black Templars!

Over the years I have seen pretty much every chapter, though in terms of how many:

1:Ultras
2:Space wolves/Blood angels
3:Black Templar
4:Everything else

Fixer
07-04-2009, 23:10
I was once told by GW staff at GWHQ Nottingham that 80% of everything they sell is Space Marines. 80% of those space marines are Ultramarines simply because the kids paint what they see on the box.

As for veteran gamers... we have a fairly even spread at my club. 2 Dark Angels, one White Scars, One black Templar, one iron hands, one Salamanders (mine), one Raven guard and then bizzarrely 3 Imperial Fists.

Must be something about Wycombe and yellow.

Robineng
07-04-2009, 23:12
I have never seen a Ultramarines army other then the one I painted when I just started. Space Wolves seem very popular over here though of the existing chapters, otherwise people tend to make their own ones.

Murrithius
08-04-2009, 00:48
In my Club:

1. Imperial Fists and Dark Angels with 2 each.
Then joint 3rd are Ultra's (mine), White Scars, Brazen Claws and Grey Knights with 1 each.

A lot of non marine/ non 40k players at the club...

MrGiggles
08-04-2009, 00:48
I see lots of Marines, but I see plenty of variation in the actual chapters round my area.

I think there are a couple of Black Templar players though, so I suppose they'd be the most common chapter here. I'm far from sure about that though.

whitewolfmxc
08-04-2009, 00:57
the topic is most popular space marine chapter , Not what you see in your shop recently . Some people like a chapter more than others , but yet they dont play , some people own a chapter army but they dont field them (all sorts of reasons)

now how can we just say some chapter is most popular because you see them in stores more than others in a given period of time of your choosing ?

For me , most popular chapter will be based on how many people own the army (wither play them or not) and how much reputation it has earned among players

my list :

1) Ultramarines
2) Space wolves / Blood angels
3) Grey knights
4) Dark angels / black templars
5) Crimeson fist / imperial fist
6) others ( including self made chapters)

kultz
08-04-2009, 01:09
Everyone has seen Ultramarines. So, if by popular you mean "Oh yeah, those guys", then Ultramarines followed by the angels of all flavours, then the black templars.

If you meant popular by "Oh I so totally should play that chapter", then ranking first would be the Dark Angels, then Black Templars. There are so few actual "Ultramarines" out there, only legions of "I wanna paint it like the box cover" chapters.

Folks hate the latter. Which looks just like the former. Unfortunate.

techman
08-04-2009, 01:48
Ultramarines is the most popular..now I have a reason for mine (besides I love the figures and all the blue) I love the fluff on Tyranid hate, my dad place nids...nid's are my mortal enemy...

Deadmanwade
08-04-2009, 07:14
Looking in my army cases...:D
Crimson Fists
Dark Angels (Angels of Redemption to be precise)
Ravenguard
Salamanders
White Scars

Aurellis
08-04-2009, 07:19
In my area:

1. Ultramarines
2. Dark Angels
3. Space Wolves
4. Blood Angels
5. Imperial Fists

DarkPrince
08-04-2009, 07:21
Ultra Marines
White Scars
Crimson/Imperial Fists
Dark Angels
Howling Griffons.

Well, those are the ones I've played against the most

the1stpip
08-04-2009, 07:39
Where I live, the only chaptrs I see are Dark Angels and Mentor Legion.

Everyon else does their own chapters (although my friend as an undead Ultramarine army, counts as Death Guard).

DarkPrince
08-04-2009, 07:42
undead Ultramarine army.

Sounds interesting! Altho Cassius already looks dead. Lol :chrome:

burtnernie
08-04-2009, 11:45
I understood it that, Space Wolves were one of the most popular SM armies out there which is why they are being done in the near future, especially as BA only got a WD codex this kinda ties in nicely, in terms of locally it's a 50/50 split with wolves and Dark Angels although I know Sallies are now popular because of the beard toting Carlton Hestan.