PDA

View Full Version : anyone mind if I switch armies?

carldooley
08-04-2009, 00:26
with the coming of the Valkyries with the new codex, if I was to use Tau models (properly converted, weapons, walking) in place of Imp Guard, would anyone mind? something along the way of subbing crisis suits for sentinels, devilfish for Valkyries, etc. would anyone here throw a fit?

Sorry, I read John Ringo - Vorpal Blade through Claws that Catch, and much as I like IG, they don't have models that fit my mental image of wyverns.

Vedar
08-04-2009, 00:35
would anyone here throw a fit? Yes. Of couse somebody would. This is Warseer.

TheDarkDuke
08-04-2009, 00:41
My only question is... if you like all the Tau stuff, and not the IG stuff... why NOT use Codex Tau... you can convert to make IG suit your vision...

SimonL
08-04-2009, 00:41
*Looks around for a fit to throw...*

Long as they were suitabley converted I'd have no problem. Otherwise I'd accuse you of playing Poorhammer, and once you start down that road, it's only a matter of time until you have popcan Ork Dreadnoughts and paper squares with "Space Marine" written on them :D

carldooley
08-04-2009, 00:45
come on, I'll throw down money when I need to - just look at my line of mordian dreadnoughts - if we ever play together.
I prefer the old metal dreadnoughts, which can cost, and then the weapons cost more than a couple of the dreads did.

kultz
08-04-2009, 01:19
Somebody here will definitely mind, as would some folks you will play against.

Some hard-lined folks will be pissy at the WYSIWYG issues.

Others will simply refuse to play against you due to the headache of "Okay, so the firewarriors with blue helmets are veterans, but the ones with red and blue and knives are penal legions, and what the hell do they do again? The darn Codex just came out. Was that a sentinel or an Ogryn? Was the devilfish supposed to be a Centaur, Manticore, or Scorpion? What the hell is a Scorpion?"

Couple that with the anticipation of the bandwagon folks that spout "I have totally played guard since forever". You're not looking at particularly friendly pools of opponents there.

Do make sure you look like you actually tried to convert. Then folks will take you seriously. Otherwise someone is going to rant on this board about "TODAY SOME DARN KID TRIED TO PLAY HIS TAU ARMY AND HE'S ALL LIKE 'MAH DEVILFISH IS TOTALLY A LEMAN RUSS KAY?' GAH RAGE RAGE!"

Perhaps I'm too cynical.

Threeshades
08-04-2009, 01:24
Wait, you want to use tau models by IG rules? Why?

Jackmojo
08-04-2009, 02:15
Go for it.

Some folks are losers and will complain, this is a good way to learn not to play with them as it indicates they're ******s.

If you worry about the issue kultz cites (unit ID confusion), get out a digital camera and make a legend for your army and let your opponent hold on to it during games (personally, their are a few units in several armies I am unable to identify on sight, tau battlesuit weapons can be as WYSIWYG as the day is long and I still dunno what kind of guns half of them have, so when I need to know I just ask my fellow player).

Jack

Nym
08-04-2009, 02:30
I don't mind proxy armies like Kroots mercenaries using the Orks codex, or Rebel grotz with the Guard codex, since they don't have a dedicated codex.

However, I can't think of any reason to do what you want to do, beside benefiting from the flashy new rules, because you think the current Tau codex sucks. Therefore, I would probably say...

Sure, do it !

I'll use the Eldar codex for my Necrons, I hope you don't mind ? That Necron Destroyer lord is a Farseer on jetbike, and all these destroyers are Warlocks on Jetbikes. My two Monoliths are fire prisms and my pariahs are Banshees.

sydbridges
08-04-2009, 02:34
I wouldn't mind. You have +1 internet approval.

Disclaimer: internet approval is worth about one billionth of a thousandth of a percent of 'actual opponent' approval. It is generally more worthwhile to convince people you will actually play against to allow you to do this than to try to convince the internet.

Vaktathi
08-04-2009, 02:38
I personally wouldn't mind under those circumstances of just saying "this devilifsh is a Valk" etc for most things. In a serious competitive environment it may become an issue as size and weapons mount differences become problems (a Valk has a footprint the size of a baneblade) if they are materially different, but I still probably wouldn't care a whole lot. As long as it was made clear exactly what everything was from the outset explicitly it would be ok.

But I'd encourage you to eventually build the IG list you were proxying. There is an element of awkwardness using entirely different models for various things.

starlight
08-04-2009, 02:40
It's called *counts as* and it's both within the rules and perfectly acceptable. :)

As long as it's clear what represents what, game on. :D

Norsehawk
08-04-2009, 03:27
From what I understand however the Valkyries are much larger than a devilfish so you would be running into some major wysiwyg issures there alone.

Thud
08-04-2009, 05:35
Sure.

Tau models with IG rules aren't harder to beat than IG models with IG rules.

People throwing hissy fits about it seriously need to re-examine their lives. IMHO. ;)

Nexus Trimean
08-04-2009, 05:39
i would let you do it once or twice, i can understand you wanting to try out the IG. but more than that, stuff needs to start being converted/purchased. thats 2 games with me, not 2 games at the FLGS. so you could probably get 8-10 games in.

But you would probably have to buy a Valk, they are bit big to convert up to.

Infectum
08-04-2009, 05:53
The general attitude that I've come across is that most people don't care so long as you're clear as to what is what. However, if you are a regular and IG becomes a main army for you, then I'd like to see it start getting populated with the proper models. Plus with the numbers that they are dependent on, you would probably need to start buying eventualy.

unclejimbo827
08-04-2009, 06:16
As long as you convert the hooves. Goddamn fish-horse people and their hooves...

Ddraiglais
08-04-2009, 08:17
I would play a couple of games against that if you were considering IG. That would be a great way to test the IG dex out to make sure you wanted to invest the money. I would not continue playing against that army though. The Tau have their rules. What you seem to be suggesting is that you want the newest most flashy rules for your Tau. That just doesn't sit right with me.

I'm usually for all kinds of off the wall ideas. If you wanted to build an army that doesn't exist, then that's great. I'd love to see an AdMech, LatD, whatever army. Use whichever codex you want. My biggest problem is that the Tau have their own rules. If you wanted to use IG that have converted to the greater good, that'd be fine. If you wanted to use the IG dex for Demiurg or some other race, that would be great. I just can't see any justification for an existing army using another's rules.

Sleazy
08-04-2009, 08:30
Properly modded you could buidl a kind of Human Auxilery Tau force, check out Lackofs blog in sci fi projects for a great example.

Otherwise I'd say keep your tau and just start putting together a guard force serperately. Gives you options for which army to use. You could model the guard to look like they're in a campaign against your tau - veteran tau hunters etc.

If you decide to do that can I suggest you buy 2 boxes of Cadians NOW before GW rejigs the boxes into 10 for 12.

Bunnahabhain
08-04-2009, 12:11
Keeping the counts as clear is the main issue.

If I were to do this, I'd start by getting a few platoons of basic guardsmen, so I could have the basic weapons for much of the army easy to identify. Counts as for the tanks, sentinals etc is easier to keep track of.

It also gives a clear theme of human auxilies, just using guard rules for smplicity.

Mojaco
08-04-2009, 13:35
Sure. You can play my Orks -count as- Sisters of Battle. Perhaps we can do a 4-way battle with my friends Lego Space Marines and his mate's Beercan Nidzilla army.

O wait, that would be completly stupid.

People who like squats or genestealer cults or whatever with no codex can do anything if they do their best to make it WYSIWYG and pick suitable rules (ie. human models have T3). However, if you use Tau models but refuse to use the Tau codex, I'm curious to what your interest is. Do you think IG rules better fit the Tau then the Tau rules? Or are you having a hard time winning with the Tau codex so you feel you should try another army's codex? The second is the more likely IMO, so no, in a pick-up game I wouldn't play you.

Someone trying out guard before spending the money is something I can respect, so that's fine (as long as there is progress in the form of new correct models being added).

It also gives a clear theme of human auxilies, just using guard rules for smplicity.
That would be cool, if they are modelled as humans. I'd still use Tau rules though, perhaps with houseruled IG allies.

Templar Ben
08-04-2009, 13:40
I have played against IG using Tau rules so I wouldn't care but the question is will the people you actually play care.

Frontier
08-04-2009, 13:44
would anyone here throw a fit? Yes. Of couse somebody would. This is Warseer.

This is the only answer you need to read. Period.

electricwolf
08-04-2009, 14:09
with the coming of the Valkyries with the new codex, if I was to use Tau models (properly converted, weapons, walking) in place of Imp Guard, would anyone mind? something along the way of subbing crisis suits for sentinels, devilfish for Valkyries, etc. would anyone here throw a fit?

Sorry, I read John Ringo - Vorpal Blade through Claws that Catch, and much as I like IG, they don't have models that fit my mental image of wyverns.

Have you read "into the looking glass", the book before "vorpal blade" it introduces all the characters and is really great. I can totally see the mech suits looking like crisis suits.

I wouldn't complain as long as you use things from ONE codex only. If you want to use Tau pulse rifles but use something like a Valkyrie for troop transport then yes i would have a problem. If you want to use Crisis suits with gaurd weapons and use all the rule for sentinels COOL go for it( coming from the guy who uses jeeps for sentinels).

Nostro
08-04-2009, 14:16
I definitely wouldn't mind, as I am all for count as, let's you be a bit creative and change playstyle without having to buy minis you don't like the look of.

But contrary to some people I wouldn't dismiss as "idiots" people who would refuse to play you.

First thing is to make very clear and easy to remember (ie consistent) the use of weapons, ie railguns = lascanons and only that or burst canons = multilasers and only that or something of the sort. That should be fine for most people.

Second is when things get more competitive, ie for tournaments, campaigns at your FLGS or if you have competitive friends. Because especially for vehicles some things matter: size, heigth, sponson emplacements etc. By using a devilfish instead of a valk you are reducing its size and therefore gaining an advantage. This is why I can understand people who would have a gripe against it.

I understand that you do that for modelling/good looking purposes so tend to be generous with lines of sight. For instance, I don't like Crisis suits so use Stealth suits instead. They are quite smaller and can be accused of getting advantage, so I put them on larger bases, and I carry around a "dummy" crisis suit that I can substitute for a second with my crisistealth if the opponent wants to make sure he "could have shot them if they were the actual models". If he could have, then he can shoot them, even if the models I use are too small to be seen. You could cary around a plasticard/foam valkyrie for the same purposes.

While my method flies in friendly environments, I can understand more competitive settings not liking it.

carldooley
08-04-2009, 15:54
sorry, I was a bit logy the last time that I posted. I have no problem using karskin for stormtroopers or krieg for troops - to fit the fluff of my 'expeditionary force' I would be content to use the crisis suits as 'counts as' models for sentinels as I prefer the mecha look to the walker look.

I probably would prefer to do this as I prefer the mechas, though to be fair to the WYSIWYG crowd, I'd be more than willing to mount imperial weapons on them.

Come to think of it, I prefer the Eldar skimmer look to the tau one, maybe take my fire prism base and put a railgun on top...
hmmm, sounds fun...

Bunnahabhain
08-04-2009, 16:21
Now you've made yourself clear, I don't think many people will have a problem with it. Some tournaments, maybe, and some people who are arses, and not prepared to be flexible for converted army, but beyond that you should be fine....

You'd clearly be making a good effort with the size issues, and using a clear and consistent counts as on the weapons. Doesn't matter if they're imperial or not. For instance, if every pulse cannon is a multilaser, that's easy to remember as it's consistent, and they're roughly equivalent weapons.

If one of your crisis suit sentinels is drastically posed on a rock, jumping in the air or such like, and so just happens to be the same height as a normal sentinel, then you have a convient model to check LOS if needs be.

Nostro
08-04-2009, 17:07
Come to think of it, I prefer the Eldar skimmer look to the tau one, maybe take my fire prism base and put a railgun on top...
hmmm, sounds fun...

You mean lascanons or whatever weapons a Valkyrie can be equipped with, I guess ;)

Nym
08-04-2009, 17:13
and some people who are arses

It's really insulting. It's not being an **** to refuse this kind of thing.

As I said earlier, if suddenly every single Necron player came with an Eldar codex and told you he was about to proxy his whole army, would you be happy ?

I know I wouldn't, because it opens a can of worms. If all those guys who don't like their codex start proxying their army as another one, then why bother making army codices ? Just give us 12 generic set of rules, and let's pick the one we prefer.

The OP stated that he liked the "feel" of Imperial Guard, yet doesn't want to use the models. I fail to see what "feeling" a ruleset conveys. It only gives game advantages.

Nostro
08-04-2009, 17:20
I know I wouldn't, because it opens a can of worms. If all those guys who don't like their codex starts proxying their army as another one, then why bother making army codices ? Just give us 12 generic set of rules, and let's pick the one we prefer.

You mean like picking a Codex among 12 ? ;)

If people like a set of rules for the playstyle and variety of units, but don't like the minis (how to blame DE? you could like necron style but not the "robot zombie" thing; like the concept of fast moving/diversely armed suits but not that japanese mecha style, like chaos units but not the spikey minis, etc), it's too bad to force people to stick to minis they don't like because they dig the rules.

Sure if everybody does it it starts to get a bit confusing, but if the count as is well done (size, consistency, easyness to remember) it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

But I'm with you on the name calling. I said earlier I'm all for that idea but can understand why people would be against it without being close minded idiots...

Ddraiglais
08-04-2009, 17:38
Now that it's been cleared up, that sounds like a cool idea. Human auxileries with Tau support (suits and armor). That could even be fluffy. The Tau letting humans fight at the front, but supporting them with firepower.

shin'keiro
08-04-2009, 17:46
*throws a fit*

no one here cares... BUT your opponents might if they have to remember every single weapon your subbing for another weapon... so i dont think its a good idea.

AdmiralDick
08-04-2009, 17:51
But I'd encourage you to eventually build the IG list you were proxying. There is an element of awkwardness using entirely different models for various things.

from what?

if the whole point is that he likes the IG rules, but none of the models, he's not proxying, he just using different models.

personally i would have no issues with this at all, as long as you weren't a jerk about it and said that some pulse rifles were lasguns and others were plasma guns, which mysteriously switched between goes.

Templar Ben
08-04-2009, 17:58
I know I wouldn't, because it opens a can of worms. If all those guys who don't like their codex start proxying their army as another one, then why bother making army codices ? Just give us 12 generic set of rules, and let's pick the one we prefer.

Agreed. That is precisely what should be done. Just have balanced rules and let people build the army they like and represent them with models.

Akuma
08-04-2009, 18:09
It's really insulting. It's not being an **** to refuse this kind of thing.

As I said earlier, if suddenly every single Necron player came with an Eldar codex and told you he was about to proxy his whole army, would you be happy ?

The OP stated that he liked the "feel" of Imperial Guard, yet doesn't want to use the models. I fail to see what "feeling" a ruleset conveys. It only gives game advantages.

Agreed.

If you are my friend and pull something like this on me - once ok. Twice No way.

If I'm going to tournament I will use each and every advantage I can get - even beeing an ass. If I see kroots as obliterators or Hammer Head as Wave serpent - even if it is coverted to show more advanced Tau sept I will call Org of the tournament and say that to me this army is a PROX.

All in all I wouldnt mind if it would be - I want to buy guard but want to try diffrent variations - sure great - but in any other circumstances - no way.

Besides LRBT is not a hammer head - and with TLOS it is extreamly important that each vechicle is what it realy should be.

Mojaco
08-04-2009, 19:25
hmmm, sounds fun...

Tau and eldar models with IG rules? And only a few people here object? Is this still Warseer? :)

Seriously, what I think is a bad idea just became worse. Rules + models form a combination that defines that army and its fluff. Mixing it together at random is just... so random. Where's the fun? If I build a beautiful Space Marines army and pick a nice army list from the codex, it's instantly recognizable and represents a part of the rich fluff of 40k. If you start doing this random stuff, it doesn't represent anything, aside from poor taste.

This is a generalisation, I know. Some people can do great things by mixing and matching different rules and models. But from the OP the only thing I'm getting is that you like the IG rules more then the Tau rules. That's a very poor basis of a creative army. Just slap on imperial weapons and throw in an Eldar vehicle with a railgun, why not? I'm surprised you're even using models.

It's fine if people think I'm narrow minded about this and would refuse to play me for it. Doesn't sound like I'm missing anything.

edit; I have no idea who that John Ringo guy is. Perhaps Tau models with IG fit perfectly with his book, and this becomes a great-looking coherent army that makes sense. In which case this would be a very cool project and I'd be happy to play you.

Sir_Lunchalot
08-04-2009, 19:40
I just got a flood of images of ridiculous looking conversions by less than bright 12 year olds I saw in my days as a redshirt. Even if the conversions look good, I'd still call cheese - as has been said, Tau have their set of rules, so what you're proposing is essentially proxying. Again, I'll go with earlier posts and say it looks like the start down a slippery slope to poorhammer 40000, where I'm going to use my Guardsmen as Tau fire warriors because they're human auxiliaries. Or maybe I'll use my catachans as genestealers, because they're just that good, and I think the whole hive mindset fits the Imperial Guard really well.but instead of a hive Tyrant model, I'm just going to use Sly Marbo, 'cuz he's just that good.

I might not be leading the lynch mob, but I'll be watching with interest.

And there's the daily hissy fit.

Threeshades
08-04-2009, 19:41
I still don't get it. Why do you want to use guard rules for Tau?

If you like the tau models, use them and the fitting rules that represent the fluff best.

If you like the guard rules so much then play guard. If you want to have guard with tau flair, you can sure build a gue'vesa auxiliary force. But then your infantry shouldnt be tau but humans with tau armor. Then you could also use appropriately converted battle suits for sentinels. Grav tanks for Valkyrie? Only if its heavily converted to look more choppery.

But plain tau with guard rules? Or even mixed with eldar models? Just no. It doesn't make sense. Where's the reason behind that? Where would the flair in it be?

Inquisitor_Tolheim
08-04-2009, 19:47
I still don't get it. Why do you want to use guard rules for Tau?

If you like the tau models, use them and the fitting rules that represent the fluff best.

If you like the guard rules so much then play guard. If you want to have guard with tau flair, you can sure build a gue'vesa auxiliary force. But then your infantry shouldnt be tau but humans with tau armor. Then you could also use appropriately converted battle suits for sentinels. Grav tanks for Valkyrie? Only if its heavily converted to look more choppery.

But plain tau with guard rules? Or even mixed with eldar models? Just no. It doesn't make sense. Where's the reason behind that? Where would the flair in it be?

Honestly, if your plan is to run a human auxiliary to a tau army then you would probably be better off running TAU rules and kitbashing your infantry with Tau and Guardsmen models. That way you don't have confusing counts as going on for your entire army, and just have an interesting converted force. I mean if the only concern is looks then you are much better off converting based on the rules of the army who's models you will predominantly use (in this case, the Tau).

Unless you're cherry picking your army choice based on rules alone but want to use whatever models you feel like. In my personal opinion that's not cool, but I suppose it's technically legal with "counts as" rules.

Mojaco
08-04-2009, 19:50
Hey, a series of people I can agree with. Hooray!

Threeshades
08-04-2009, 20:04
Honestly, if your plan is to run a human auxiliary to a tau army then you would probably be better off running TAU rules and kitbashing your infantry with Tau and Guardsmen models. That way you don't have confusing counts as going on for your entire army, and just have an interesting converted force. I mean if the only concern is looks then you are much better off converting based on the rules of the army who's models you will predominantly use (in this case, the Tau).

Unless you're cherry picking your army choice based on rules alone but want to use whatever models you feel like. In my personal opinion that's not cool, but I suppose it's technically legal with "counts as" rules.

Well if you use imperial weapons it wouldnt be too bad to go by guard rules. But combining them with the look of tau might be hard to get done decently.

Kyrolon
08-04-2009, 20:05
I can totally sympathize with wanting to do an army based on the "Through the Looking Glass" series. I am not sure the IG codex does it best though. Here's the things I remember from the books (at least once you get the suits involved).

The forces they detail for the Vorpal Blade are all Marine Recon (and one navy SEAL :) ). I don't recall them deploying by any kind of Skimmer (unless you count the Battle Boards), and yet you mention the Valkyrie.

If you wanted to do it right, rules wise I'd model them off of a Dark Angels Deathwing list. If you do that, and do the whole army using Tau suits instead of terminators it does a couple things.

1.) The suits are on the same size base IIRC.
2.) Using the suits in place of Terminators could hardly be called "poorhammer".
3.) Since the whole army is essentially all the same base model and the whole army is all terminators, your confusion factor drops.
4.) Deepstriking terminators better represent the marines landing on their space surf boards IMHO.
5.) Once you are done reading the Looking Glass books start the Legacy of the Aldenata series and you can use the same suits as a Fleet Strike ACS unit. :)

The cool factor would be doubly confirmed if you then did a Tyranid army to fight your guys and modeled them to look like the Dreen. :) I've always thought the Dreen were eerily similar to the 'Nids.

Lamenter
08-04-2009, 20:12
You can do whatever you like, your opponent may not approve but that depends on the person.

My suggestion to you would be if you want to play guard but can't afford a second army, sell the Tau (paint 'em real nice you may make a profit), and use the money on new guard figs.

FeetOfClay
08-04-2009, 20:43
I say, go for it, I mean, I can hardly complain, I'm seriously considering using Tau rules for my guard, so disagreeing with the opposite would be stupid:p.

Also, I've been looking for a good sci-fi book (apart from warhammmer:rolleyes:), and John Ringo's look like a nice read, thanks.

Somerandomidiot
08-04-2009, 21:00
This EXACT same thing happened when the new marine codex came out, and all the chaos marine and dark angel players looked in envy at the new toys, and asked if it'd be ok to proxy as normal marines. Heck, somebody's still got a signature... samiens!

There's a name for Dark Angel players who use a different codex legitimately... Fallen- and don't we have enough of those to deal with without jumping on the shiny new toys bandwagon?

Ranger S2H
08-04-2009, 22:31
when your opponent agrees you can do anything you want, as long as its clear what you are doing, so your opponent can agree at it.

I had an idea for prox and counts as armies: just make a few metal-wire stands with notes or post-its attached, telling people what what is and what upgrades they have.
it would be like your opponent has a battle interface or something, showing info about enemy units

Johnnyfrej
09-04-2009, 02:11
This normally leads to a headache with regards to swapping codex's. If you were trying it out because you want to start Guard but only have Tau and want to play-test that is perfectlly understandable. That said, if you just want to play Guard but don't want to fork over the cash and time to build one that is a no-go. For the Tau Auxila idea I think using the Tau codex and simply converting the models to be humans in Tau gear would work better.

Personally, if you tried to play me in a Tournament with the Tau Guard-proxy I would have a problem with it. Especially if it is very obvious no attempt at converting the models to be more Guardsmen-esk was present.

Torga_DW
09-04-2009, 04:25
Personally i just don't think the tau are suited to represent IG. Tau are closer to the line of elite armies, with suits and decently armoured troops. IG are more hordes with big tanks. They don't really fit with each other. Playing one would be a nightmare for me, i have enough trouble remembering whats going on during the battle without having to remember that the army isn't what it looks like. I'd be forever looking at it and seeing a tau army and planning around that.

If you really want a mech army that looks way harder than it is (using IG rules), what about choosing a third alternative? Don't games like star grunts 2 and starship troopers have suitish-style mechs and troops? You could pick your troops from non-gw sources, so at least people will immediately recognize that they're not fighting what they're seeing.

omgadinosaur
09-04-2009, 04:39
I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I'm going to start using Tyranids as Tau.

Seriously, Hormagaunts= Firewarriors. Hecka Ez.

I don't like the tyranid rules or feel but i do like their models so i'm going to use them for tau.

Kosher?

rcal13
09-04-2009, 06:10
I have seen this done actually and THE ONLY REASON PEOPLE PLAYED HIM IS eVERY HEAD WAS A BARE HEAD HUMAN AND THEY ALL HAD BOOTS. The hammerhead/ l russ was a tread base hammer head with a smothed terret with a rail gun for a barrel. The lass guns were casts of a Star ship trooper looking gun over all a unquiqe fill and and was fun to play. oh the missle luncher team was a 60mm base with a spoter and a guy with a track with a seeker missle and the plasma,flamer and melta were tau but use all of the IG rules. If you are willing to put the effort into making you army IG even though you are useing tau, then go ahead, if not then DON'T!

Charistoph
09-04-2009, 07:36
I have seen this done actually and THE ONLY REASON PEOPLE PLAYED HIM IS eVERY HEAD WAS A BARE HEAD HUMAN AND THEY ALL HAD BOOTS. The hammerhead/ l russ was a tread base hammer head with a smothed terret with a rail gun for a barrel. The lass guns were casts of a Star ship trooper looking gun over all a unquiqe fill and and was fun to play. oh the missle luncher team was a 60mm base with a spoter and a guy with a track with a seeker missle and the plasma,flamer and melta were tau but use all of the IG rules. If you are willing to put the effort into making you army IG even though you are useing tau, then go ahead, if not then DON'T!

Just had a scary thought of a Leman Russ with a Hull-Mounted Rail Gun, a Turret-mounted Ion Cannon and CIB, Marker Light, Burst Cannon, or SMS sponsons... <shudder>

Mojaco
09-04-2009, 09:12
I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I'm going to start using Tyranids as Tau.

Seriously, Hormagaunts= Firewarriors. Hecka Ez.

I don't like the tyranid rules or feel but i do like their models so i'm going to use them for tau.

Kosher?
Normally I can spot sarcasm, but this one I'm not sure of. This is a joke, right? :D Hormies and firewarriors couldn't be further removed from each other.

Eldoriath
09-04-2009, 11:26
I have seen a similiar idea, but the other way around. A nicely converted IG army using many tau bits and models. But i can't really remember if it used the IG rules or the tau rules, on had a glance of it at a tournament i went to.

I would have been okay with it, as long as it's quite clear and apparent what things are and such =)