PDA

View Full Version : quick combat question

sim
08-04-2009, 00:55
hello all,
just a quick rules question. Epic hero Lurtz says he can expend 1 might point to make all hits wound.
Im a little unsure of what this means. Heres my interpretation.

If Lurtz is in a full strength company of 8 models and he calls the heroic attack thingy, you just remove 8 enemy models with out even rolling a dice.

The confusing part for me is the part about all hits that wound as there isn't a to hit roll as such its just a roll to wound.
any help would be great...

sim

Nu Fenix
08-04-2009, 00:59
What Might Blow does, is each hit causes a casualty regardless of the Resistence of the enemy, so eats units such as cavalry alive.

sim
08-04-2009, 01:22
so theres no dice rolling involved at all? so a full strength infantry company would wipe out an enemy infantry formation or remove 2 stands of cavalry?

Nu Fenix
08-04-2009, 01:32
You still have to roll to hit, and against Resistence 1 infantry, would be a waste of a Might point.

The game classes rolling as rolling To Hit, not rolling to wound.

sim
08-04-2009, 01:42
hmm think i might need to read thru the rules again!
i assumed that all companies automatically hit each other you just rolled to wound them.
So you basically roll to hit then have to roll to wound using your Strength versus defence.
Can you tell im a noob?:)

cheers for the help

Nu Fenix
08-04-2009, 01:45
Rolling to hit is when you compare Strength vs Defence - What you think of as rolling to wound IS rolling to hit, and there is no term as rolling to wound in the game.

If you successfully hit a model a number of times equal to its Resistence, it dies.

JHK
08-04-2009, 06:31
hmm think i might need to read thru the rules again!
i assumed that all companies automatically hit each other you just rolled to wound them.
So you basically roll to hit then have to roll to wound using your Strength versus defence.
Can you tell im a noob?:)

cheers for the help

I undertand your confusion. In the case of Lurtz (or Boromir, who has the same ability), your company still has to roll to successfully hit. What the mighty blow does is make each hit automatically cause a casualty. This is always the case when Lurtz and Co. (or anyone else) are attacking infantry so the ability doesn't make any difference.
But if Lurtz and Co. are attacking a Cavalry unit, then it makes a huge difference, since each hit from a Mighty Blow causes a casualty, regardless of their resilience of 2. Normally Cavalry have to be hit twice to become a casualty, Lurtz and Co. only have to hit them once.
I am not sure how it interacts with hard to Kill however, so it may be better against Cav. than monsters...

sim
08-04-2009, 07:01
ahhhhh, the penny drops! now i get it!
the to hit table is a combined to hit/to wound affair. So with R1 infantry you have already hit/wounded them so there is no need to use the mighty blow effect. Yeah, quite clear now thats sorted out.
cheers all!

sim,