PDA

View Full Version : Help with an army - and the dedication to finish it

Severoth
08-04-2009, 03:38
Hey All,

New to the forums and thought long and deep about how one should start their first thread.

A little about me - Thirty year old with not a huge amount of spare time on his hands due to being engaged and having a stressful job. I've always watched GW games from the side line - but always when I start to collect I find myself suffering from what MMO players would call alt-itis. I always change armies and buy bits and pieces and get side tracked never finishing things that I start. I have the best intentions - yet never actually get around to finishing it.

So I come here hoping to learn a good solid way of getting through this and actually constructing an army - one that is APOC sized and fully painted.

What tips and tricks can veteran collectors give me on overcoming speed bumps and really knuckling down? How do you do it? Do you start painting logs and set goals that you then drive yourself to complete - do you alternate with odd miniatures from different armies to break up the same style of miniatures? Any advice would be great!

On actual army selection things that I love:

Fluff - to me an army isn't just a collection of models there needs to be story behind it - from a Necron Forgeworld that's awakened to a renegade imperial guard army.
Elite style troops such as Terminators, Obliterators etc
Bigger style minatures such as Cavalry, Dreadnaughts
Non horde armies - I'd hate to have to cart 100 miniatures for a 1k point army.
Whilst I'm fairly non vehicle orientated I love some of the larger FW models such as the tank with the huge titan Gatling canon on it.

I had thought about things like using DKoK models to represent a renegade army - but wouldn't have a clue how to actually go about it rules wise. And then expand them out to include some traitor marines and a brass scorpion or two. I'm a huge fan of the Gaunts Ghosts novels - The Blood Pact have a fascinating flavour to them.

Finally I generally play against an Imperial army and an eldar army - I'd want to avoid them.

I'd love to have a reasonable sized force centred around some Super Heavy that has a great deal of fluff involved with it. A road less travelled perse - an army that isn't fairly generic.

Wow, reading back I ask alot - I hope people can help me down with some choices and give me advice on how to follow everything through from scratch to completion.

RichBlake
08-04-2009, 04:09
You are asking a lot! :p

In terms of collecting and painting then I would say that the best motivation is to write a list and try and get all the models for it. The best way to do this is have a game planned for say a weeks time. Obviously starting from scratch you may want to leave it more then a week but still.

If you think you'll find it hard to motivate yourself to keep settling down to do the "boring" guys in your army you need something to push you other then "I want to have these models to win with". Personally I love every aspect of the Imperial Guard, if this new codex was rubbish I'd still play Guard.

If you're looking for an elite army with lots of fluff then either of the Inquisition armies is a good choice, though Grey Knights being the better choice. The models are expensive but gorgeous, the army is about as Elite as you can get and there are at least a million (warning: Exageration) books written about the Inquisition. The only downside then is you wont be able to centre your army around a superheavy other then a Thunderhawk transport.

If you want to avoid Imperials though then your options start getting a little slimmer. When you cut out the Eldar too there's not really many Elite forces with a Super Heavy and good fluff left.

Obviously there is Chaos Space Marines and certain Chaos Daemon builds can be quite eliteist, both have nice "super" sized units, though for Daemons these are just huge daemons rather then vehicles.

Grey Knights and Chaos Space Marines are probably the two best forces if you're going with "Elite, lots of fluff, don't rely on vehicles" though if you want to go Anti-imperial/edlar too then CSM are definetly the best choice.

A1TEC
08-04-2009, 04:26
You need to work out what army you would most like to use. Go down to your local club and ask questions, look at the models and see if you can have small games with so of the clubs armies.

When you work out what you want, buy the codex, rules and apoc expansion book. Go to your club at a time when there is nearly no one around. Write your list over and over again. (I wrote my Ultramarines list about one hundred times).

Now that you have worked out your list, buy your starter models that you want to assemble and paint.

Set aside at least an hour per day and make a roster of what you are going to do.

If you stick to this then you should keep to task. (Make sure that you don't get magazines and other sorts of things that will distract you.)

Good Luck:skull:

Severoth
08-04-2009, 04:41
Thanks for tips guys.

Question regarding FW stuff.

How many styles of armies are available through theirs? I know that DKoK seem rather popular, are there any other lists in their books?

Also are their lists Tournament friendly or are you not able to play with them due to not being "official GW lists".

Cheers!

Sitting down thinking about it I really want to have a Vulcan mega bolter tank in my army...just wondering what type of armies I could do that with. If you were making a Renegades army would you just use Imperial Army rules paint them differently and call them Chaos?

PreacherGerry
08-04-2009, 04:50
After going through several armies, I'm convinced you should always select the army who's models you like best. Also, make your painting time a multi-media experience. Don't just listen to music you like, get music that in your mind relates to your army. That way, when your spirits are lagging, the music can re-inspire you to paint your models. Don't trick yourself into playing something you are indifferent towards just because no one else is playing them. You might end up liking them, but then again, you might not...

Play small games, 250, 500, 750 pts every once in awhile while building your army. Nothing gets your urge to paint going like a good game!

I like the Bretonnian for Fantasy battles, but I don't like painting those models. So now I have 3 boxes of peasants just sitting around and I can't bear to finish them. On the other hand, I love Slaanesh stuff, and have painted units of daemonettes for the sheer fun of it. But I don't like Chaos Space Marines anymore.

So, finally I found the best of all worlds for me.

Sisters of Battle. I love the models, they are beautiful! I love the fluff, it's very spiritual. I have chosen as their theme song 'Like a Prayer' by Madonna. When I'm not quite in the mood to paint, this song puts me back in the zone. I am scheduling small games so I can start playing as soon as possible. I mean, if I wait to have 2000 pts of models purchased and painted, I won't actually play for months! That's a real drain on my creativity, so I'm scheduling a 250 pt game for this month.

This was my approach to choosing my army. I hope some of the tips and ideas help you to complete your apocalypse army. It's good to have books and movies and music that will inspire you about your models. They will refresh your creative energies when they are ebbing!

As for which army to play, Chaos is neat. Go Slaanesh! You could get a chaos titan, plenty of dreadnoughts, that awesome Forgeworld Greater Keeper of Secrets... If I wasn't doing Sisters of Battle, I'd be doing Slaanesh myself:) For music to inspire you, try the 'Magic and Ecstasy' track from 'The Exorcist II' soundtrack, sounds like yowling daemonettes, lol!

Good gaming to you!
PreacherGerry

RichBlake
08-04-2009, 05:37
Thanks for tips guys.

Question regarding FW stuff.

How many styles of armies are available through theirs? I know that DKoK seem rather popular, are there any other lists in their books?

FW doesn't tend to make their own armies as such. The Elysian Drop Troops, Death Korp of Krieg and Chaos Renegades are basically Imperial Guard + funky rules and units.

If I remember rightly the three lists mentioned above don't actually need the IG codex as they re-printed a lot of the information, but they are still technically "modified" armies from the original codex.

Mostly FW provides additional units to exsisting armies.

Also are their lists Tournament friendly or are you not able to play with them due to not being "official GW lists".

As far as I'm aware most tournaments ban them. It's not because they aren't "official" because thats hard to define. I like the attitude they take which is that FW is "official" in the same way "Cities of Death" is. So while it is official you can't just go use their rules without getting consent.

Sitting down thinking about it I really want to have a Vulcan mega bolter tank in my army...just wondering what type of armies I could do that with. If you were making a Renegades army would you just use Imperial Army rules paint them differently and call them Chaos?

Imperial Guard not Army! :p

If I remember rightly the FW Renegades list uses the (current until may) Guard codex plus some special rules to represent the fact they are Renegades. While the next version of the codex wont have Doctrines I think the Renegade army list is self contained (i.e it doesn't say: Refer to Codex: Imperial Guard. I'm not 100% sure on that though).

Failing that you can just paint al your Guardsmen in black and red armour with pale faces and called them renegades.

Corax
08-04-2009, 09:17
In terms of maintaining the painting "rage" as it were. I try to paint a boring unit (troops), then reward myself by painting something fun (character, Dread, tank), and alternate between the two so that I don't get bogged down.

As for which army you should go for, you need to know that anything by FW is hideously expensive, and DKoK are a Guard army and Guard = horde (unless you go tank heavy), ergo FW horde = $$. The Forgeworld Chaos Renegade conversion kits are really nice, and can be used to make something that passes reasonably for the Blood Pact. I would probably just use Guard rules in "official" games and the FW rules in casual games.

Otherwise, I would suggest you might like to look at Tau (if you are interested in anime style mecha at all), or good ol' Chaos Space Marines, which come in a mind boggling array of colours and styles.

Hope some of my rambling suggestions help...