PDA

View Full Version : The revised Codex: Tau thing (AGAIN!!!)

philbrad2
04-05-2005, 09:55
This from DAKKA ( http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakka/Default.aspx?tabid=27&g=posts&t=6459 )

The rumor mill has fired up once again. Since retailers have been complaining about the slow release schedule (two codexes a year), GW is accelerating the schedule to include three codexes a year. No suprise there.

The suprise is that the next Codex will be Tau - not Black Templars.

The source for this information was GW's regional hobby rep out of LA, Mike.

Anyone able to shed any light on this. At what I would expect as a pretty mid to late stage in development Codex:BT's would be pushed back to bring us a revised 'Chig' codex? We've seen this rumour on these very forums. Wondering if anyone with GW studio contacts could get some heads up. All the talk at GD seminars has been Nids then BT's, as we're just in the 6 month window for info on this project (release Oct/Nov 05) then I's expect we start to get some details coming through. Any one care to comment? ENGEL, BRIM???

Also the upping to producing 3 codices per year. Since 4th ed's release Game Dev have said on numerous occasions that there's no major rush to get revised product out in the shops. Has marketing shot this down? We're aware that there seem to be no separate development teams ofr the core systems anymore so all and sundry could be writing the next armylist/codex for 40K. Much as I welcome new 'blood' into the games development team I still have a nagging sense of dread as I picture certain individuals being given certain projects.... no names no pack drill! So any info on this little nugget either :confused:

:cool:

Karhedron
04-05-2005, 10:04
As far as I recall, the whole "2 codices a year thing" was never set in stone. Rather it was a fan interpretation based purely on the fact that the first 2 codices were released 6 months apart. From what I recall before old Portent went down, the official line from Gw was that there was not a fixed timetable for releasing codices. Ones requiring less work might be released less than 6 months after the previous one.

Slazton
04-05-2005, 10:11
Do the Tau need revising that bad? Oh this is rich. I feel sorry for the Ork and Eldar players, I mean heck the Tau codex was released at least two years ago, and now has a revision codex in the making?

Okay I think GW now officially hates Orks and Eldar, or marketing has now infiltrated the Design Team and dictacted that Ork/Eldar don't sell well, so ignore them for last. Hmm, I think GW got it right there :rolleyes:

Meh, I don't want the Black Templars, all I want is a new Eldar codex to drool over :(

Sai-Lauren
04-05-2005, 10:15
Hmm,
So maybe the GW guy I was speaking with at salute who said don't believe what's coming next until it's announced wasn't involved in any kind of rumour obfuscation.

BT is pencilled in for November (yes, marines for christmas again - so they're basically a lock), and WE are September? Lustria's now-> May, so if there is (and I really do stress the if) going to be a Tau codex before BT, the only logical slot is something like July/August for release this year - which would be roughly when IA3 is supposed to ship. Might be some confusion with that - I guess we'll see.

charlie_c67
04-05-2005, 10:25
Hmmm I'm sceptical, if was one of the dev team then I might take it more seriously but why would a hobby rep be the only person to make such a claim?

lord_blackfang
04-05-2005, 10:33
Much as I welcome new 'blood' into the games development team I still have a nagging sense of dread as I picture certain individuals being given certain projects....

As do I...

Rich
04-05-2005, 11:15
Can see them releasing three 'dexs next year but not this year - 'nids isnt out until june, and then they would have to go for september to fit Tau in with three months to spare, which would push BTs back to january? I would say rather that plans for this year will stay the same, only difference is next year they will pull their fingers out and release a second codex in feb/march as well as the june and november releases.

jeroen84
04-05-2005, 20:35
Personally, Im very sceptical about this rumour as well. I think it can go either way. I would much rather have that they bring out a Chapter Approved about the tau and redo the codex in a year or so and spend more time on it.

About revising the tau codex, check out my thread here (http://portent.net/forums/showthread.php?p=28225) about hotfixes for 4th edition tau.

Bruen
04-05-2005, 20:39
Do the Tau need revising that bad? Oh this is rich. I feel sorry for the Ork and Eldar players, I mean heck the Tau codex was released at least two years ago, and now has a revision codex in the making?

On the other hand it would be fairly easy (and hopefully quick) for the Studio to do Tau. All they really need is a fix for Shield Drones and some love for Broadsides and its ready to go.

Inquisitor Engel
04-05-2005, 21:06
BLACK TEMPLARS ARE THE NEXT 40K CODEX

How many times do I have to say it?!?!?

THE COVER IN THE SLIDESHOW IS THE BLACK TEMPLAR COVER

Bruen
04-05-2005, 21:12

So you say, but your credability is shot since you claimed it was being written by a horse :P

Negafex
04-05-2005, 21:15
what do you think should be revised if there is a tau revision codex? perhaps they ( battle and stealth suits) will finally get ballistic skill 4 i mean what good are awesome guns if they cant even use them, and you would figure that the battle suit would have targeting sensors to compensate and give them BS4 to compensate for thier horrible WS and Initiative.

Ohman
04-05-2005, 22:17
It's more likley that the Tau are getting a "2:nd editon" codex like the Dark Angels and Dark Eldar got. Someone could easily have misinterpreted what the GW guy was saying.

Inquisitor Engel
04-05-2005, 22:45
I give up, I really do.

d_p
04-05-2005, 23:49
I give up, I really do.

Yes yes... we know the artwork is Black Templars (or at least most of us do I think :) ) and that they are in fact coming after 'Nids next month and after Wood Elves this fall, most likely being released in October/November/December-ish. That has been confirmed by GW at both of the most-recent US Games Days.

But are you saying that there is no Tau codex coming out at all? Because there are several independent rumors floating on other boards that Tau is AFTER Black Templars and that it will be the first codex of '06. One rumor has the list in play-testing as we speak.

Ass Goblin
04-05-2005, 23:49
I believe you Engel! I'm just hoping with the BT new codex they will release the Assult termies and possible Plastic Scouts. But I can only dream.

cyndre
04-05-2005, 23:58
Nothing to do with if I believe or not that next codex will be Tau (I put my money on BT).
Still Tau could be released about anytime, since none of their models are out of date, they could just do a revision, maybe add a few blisters with different options, and there you have it. But in my sense it would be overkill, a clear and complete update FAQ, which include new rules for drones would be enough, I say let Orks and eldars get revised! (btw, i don't play Tau)

Creamy Goodness
05-05-2005, 00:00

You sound like you need more fibre in your diet. ;)

Seriously though back on topic, I can see them releasing 3 next year, but in '05 the release schedule for both systems is pretty crammed as it is. It's a nice thought though, maybe next year will be a little more exciting than this one. Can you say orks, eldar and tau? Mmmmmmm...........crap, forgot about marines. :mad: :cool:

Nurgling Chieftain
05-05-2005, 00:08
Remember that "main" codex releases are model driven. So unless they're seriously expanding or redoing the Tau line, I doubt they're coming up with a new codex. Maybe a new "edition" like Dark Eldar, Dark Angels, etc., to better incorporate Tau into 4th edition.

Delicious Soy
05-05-2005, 00:16
Or maybe the wires got crossed somewhere and Tau are coming out after Black Templars? I think the arguement that Tau are the biggest selling xeno race would lend it some credence.

philbrad2
05-05-2005, 01:11
I give up, I really do.

ENG I'm with you dude honestly. GW are so far down the road with BT's it would take a major upset to not see it in the shops at the end of 05. After that.. well who knows. I still think we're getting some gamers seeing that IA3 is coming out, looking at what's gone before with FW releases, put 2 and 2 together and come up with a tiger striped marshmallow called Gertrude! Just wanted to here it from one of the 'men' hereon the 'tent. Now take your pill and lie down in a darkened room like the doc told you to in these situations ;)

Or maybe the wires got crossed somewhere and Tau are coming out after Black Templars? I think the arguement that Tau are the biggest selling xeno race would lend it some credence.

No that's what I'm leaning towards. Although if it does come off - and we're looking towards mid/late summer before getting any official word on what's next after BT's, there will be a LOT of pissed Ork & Eldar players out there.

Creamy Goodness
05-05-2005, 01:12

Then what is to be made of the adversarial theory on codex releases, for example SM's/nids, BT/orks? Who would be the Tau adversary? I still say BT, Orks and Eldar, then take your pick from the remaining SM flavours for the following dex. Tau would be a good placeholder for the summer of 2006, between Orks and Eldar, if these rumours about GW releasing 3 dexes next year instead of 2 prove to be true.

philbrad2
05-05-2005, 01:19
Then what is to be made of the adversarial theory on codex releases, for example SM's/nids, BT/orks? Who would be the Tau adversary? I still say BT, Orks and Eldar, then take your pick from the remaining SM flavours for the following dex. Tau would be a good placeholder for the summer of 2006, between Orks and Eldar, if these rumours about GW releasing 3 dexes next year instead of 2 prove to be true.

Interesting theory this adversary vs adversary codex release thing. Not heard it before. But of course even though SM's are a big money spinner for GW, I really think Nids have come out next purely to follow on the momentum of their inclusion in the BfM set. If new players want to go further into 40K chances are they'll go with one of the races in the BfM set, it was a logical ploy to cover Nids after SM's. BT's and Orks have a 'history' with GW since Armageddon. It would be nice if GW tied in releases with a good guy/bad guy roll on army (re)releases. With GW wanting to use 40K history more and the fact we're due to be getting some sort of 40K campaign book in the near(ish) future we might actually see this.

inquisitorautry
05-05-2005, 02:45
I also believe Engel. It makes more sense for GW to do a release schedule of 2 regular codices a year with a SM mini-dex add-on in the same year. That way there is a constant supply of new marine minis (which is what GW makes most of it's money on) along with the other two dexes to keep the players of other armies happy.

Sepheroph
05-05-2005, 09:38
It would be my guess, that the Tau thing is either confusion over IA3, or just simply confusion over the english language.

The 'nids are the end-may/june release. We know this.

Wood Elves are the end-july/august.

Black Templars are the end-november/december release.

While that does leave a nice little hole between the Wood Elves and the Black Templars, one that sorta fits the Tau, I would seriously doubt the validity of the suggestion. The middle of this year has a lot of shakeups, the relaunch of LotR, the re-do of the modelling materials, the Lustria/Conquest of a New World world-wide campaigns. It doesn't make sense, to focus on ANOTHER army, between all this.

My thoughts anyway.

athamas
05-05-2005, 09:47
Tau are an easy fix for GW, They require alot less work than eldar or orks...if they are being asked to speed up their release skedule then they would be an easy fill in...

Is it possible the Tau codex would be released to coinside with IA3?

Rich
05-05-2005, 09:57
I still hold with the adversary theory. BTs next, then Orks to follow as their adversary. Possibly accompanied by the release of a 'battle for macragge' style campaign pack detailing the third war for armaggeddon.

After that, well we know that Eldar are being worked on and we also have the Tau theory. To me, if the adversary theory is to be believed, we will see a space marine chapter shoe-horned in there as well. Most of the work is done on SMs, and it is not inconceivable that they could fit in a new SM dex in between Orks and Tau or Orks and Eldar.

At the end of the day though, we won't know anything until the six month window comes around. lets face it, we don't even know if BTs will be accompanied by plastic scouts or not, so which codex is coming next is mostly guesswork and pure speculation 9except for those in the know, and they aren't saying). Even the store managers are on a tight leash nowadays, and from what I can tell, most of them didn't know about the BT codex until recently.

Karhedron
05-05-2005, 11:09
Then what is to be made of the adversarial theory on codex releases,
It is just a theory from the fans, it is not anything that has come from GW themselves. So far we only have Ultramarines and Nids and one pairing is not enough to confirm a pattern of any sort. We would need at least one more confirmed pairing (and prefferably two) before I lend any weight to the adversaries idea.

XaNder
05-05-2005, 11:20
I still hold with the adversary theory. BTs next, then Orks to follow as their adversary. Possibly accompanied by the release of a 'battle for macragge' style campaign pack detailing the third war for armaggeddon.

I'd really like to get my hands on the one starting the adversaries theory... In the 40k universe, any two armies except IG and SM are adversaries.

Back on topic. There's very little doubt BT will be the next codex. Anyhow I wouldn't bet on November/December release date. As for Tau... I'm sorry I've started the other post a week ago. Probably if it wasn't pubblished, or if I worded it better, noone would have thought to start other rumours. Unfortunately there are such people who like throwing gas in fire.

So I suppose noone can deny or confirm anything except BT having already been playtested and this would imply with a good degree of certainty that we'll soon (in GW terms ;) ) be able to say "Habemus Codicem Templarium Obscurorum' .

Will we have a Nid Codex. Sure. We' ve got it. Will there be a BT Codex. They are designing it meanwhileso... Yes, but we don' know exactly when. Will Tau have a new Codex soon? We don't know. Will Eldar have a new Codex soon? We don't know but many studio guys pointed towards this. Will there be a new Ork Codex? We don't know but they really deserve it (personally I think more than Eldar).

Unfortunately rumors spread very fast and out of control. Probably the first error was mine posting a rumor I didn't heard personally but read it on an stupid forum.

I beg your pardon, guys,
XaNder

Cypher
05-05-2005, 11:43
I would have though it fairly obvious that the confusion is about IA3, given that it is fairly Tau-centric. Believe and speculate all you want, but I would say with almost certainty that there will not be a new Tau codex until 2007 at the earliest.

philbrad2
05-05-2005, 12:00
Possibly accompanied by the release of a 'battle for macragge' style campaign pack detailing the third war for armaggeddon.

Hope not, Armageddon has been done to death IMHO, there's plenty more out there in the 40K universe for a campaign pack than yet another rehash of Armageddon.

I'm with KAHEDRON on the adversary theory. although I can see a pattern in the theory, it sounds like something dreamed up by the fanbase rather than GW. The fact Nids came in with 4th ed starter was Orks and DE had already been done. Nids are easily identifiable to new players as an 'alien' horde. Whereas more humanoid races like Eldar/Necron's etc could have been included the Nids do make for a better adversary force for starters IMHO.

SM's were always going to be in the starter set, GW has been saying since the end of EoT its not progressing the game timeline much beyond the end of EoT and is looking back at 40K history for a source of inspiration. BfM is an excellent setting for such a set. A 40k historical event, it involves SM's, those SM's are Ultramarines all the better. And surprise, surprise the next two codices after BfM comes out are SM's and Nids ... didn't see that one coming did we :D

There is a degree of planning in this 'adversary' theory from GW but I think its more geared upon keeping interest up in the armies and alllowing new players, who are most likely to pick SM's or Nids after BfM to have access to lots of spanky new models to start their army/armies off with. Planning that SM's would fight the ravening horde of the devourer so Nids were the next logicial release? Sort of, but I don't think so, planning so GW can cash in on the interest in SM's/Nids post BfM - I'd say this was more like it. There simply aren't enough codices out for 4th ed that could even substaniate this theory.

We've a series of releases that currently fits in with releases. BT's are established as pretty much Ork adversaries after the games and background post Armageddon III but as to whether they'll be next codex after BT's who knows yet? I for one hope its not Tau. As has been said, I think the Tau need little work doing to them and would sooner see a prolonged project to expand them ready for their 4th ed incarnation that a rush job by GW simple to tie in with something FW is releasing or pressure to put out 3 armies per year. The philosophy with everyone in 40K games dev I've spoken to in the past 18 mths has been quality and not quantity when it comes to 4th ed. But as the financial result have shown and the slow down in sales perhaps Gw is looking at upping the ante to try and generate more interest and thereforesales by forsaking this in pursuit of the consumer buck/euro/pound, after all its a business and needs to make money. Personally I'd be happy with 2 well crafted armies per year with good codices, models and background than 3 armies of lesser quality. How about you lot :confused:

boogle
05-05-2005, 12:07
hey i came up with adversary thing on the old portent

philbrad2
05-05-2005, 12:50

Oh so its BOOGLE's fault then :D

boogle
05-05-2005, 13:04
it just seems logical.............oh wait if its logical, then i won't happen (most likely because Orks won't follow BT, if you believe the rumours :P)

Creamy Goodness
05-05-2005, 13:07

Stop lying, it's mine. I also invented the internet back in 1994 too, funny story actually......

charlie_c67
05-05-2005, 13:18
And invented Napster too? Only to have it stolen by your college flatmate while you slept. :D

Inquisitor Engel
05-05-2005, 15:06
Less spam. Stay on topic boys.

Venerable Dred
05-05-2005, 15:25
I'm just hoping with the BT new codex they will release the Assult termies and possible Plastic Scouts. But I can only dream.
Well I think then that you shall be very happy with the Fall BT Codex release (and the Assault Terminators and Plastic Scouts/Neophytes to be released with the codex).

And what about some plastic Stealth Suits for the revised Tau Codex (which is after the BT codex)?

Sgt John Keel
05-05-2005, 15:37
As far as I recall, the whole "2 codices a year thing" was never set in stone. Rather it was a fan interpretation based purely on the fact that the first 2 codices were released 6 months apart. From what I recall before old Portent went down, the official line from Gw was that there was not a fixed timetable for releasing codices. Ones requiring less work might be released less than 6 months after the previous one.

Point exactly. This year we have three fantasy army books. The Ogre Kingdoms, the Warhammer Realms: Lustria and the Wood Elves. There's not exactly that much credibility to that statement.

Anyway Engel, I believe you too.

/Adrian

Samoth
05-05-2005, 16:44
Tau might be soon, but not before templars. Think, people.

Though it's possible they'll be before orks and eldar, despite all common sense.

MonkeyKnifeFighter
05-05-2005, 18:13
This thread should be titled: How I learned to stop worrying and love the Space Marines.

Seriously, just switch. It makes life great! :p

boogle
05-05-2005, 18:53
well my local Indy retailler was telling me today that Tau were the 2nd best seller over the christmas period 2004, so, that could lend some credance to the rumour, but it still seems silly to me to have 2 'quick fix' codexe in a row, just hope that if they go down this route, they get the Eldar and Orks Codexes spot on, or there will be a lot of unhappy player out there

Flame Boy
05-05-2005, 19:26
Hmm... if this adversary theory is correct, when they finally get an Eldar Codex on the shelves, who will their adversary be? Chaos and the Necrons have both been the Eldar's mortal enemy in some way, and both of those codices are fairly new and not in ungent need of an update, surely? Maybe they qould just cram them into a pair with the xenos hunter codex? That would also seem an odd choice to me.

As for a new Tau Codex, I think a revision codex is a bit silly when they seem to put up FAQ's and small articles in WD for that sort of thing these days. A large scale codex reworking also seems silly, because their codex is still quite fresh off the press, and the more time they spend developing old armies to update them, they less chance the Tau will end up treading on the toes of potential codex updates for other races.

I think the Forge World Taros Campaign is just messing with a few people's heads.

Inquisitor Engel
05-05-2005, 20:31
I think the Forge World Taros Campaign is just messing with a few people's heads.
Yeah, you're telling me.

No one will listen. :(

Oh, and I have it from the developers themselves that that cover is the BT Cover, it just has the background colour applied, so there's understandably not much black there yet. ;)

Negafex
05-05-2005, 21:05
hey this may be a little off topic but what is the shield drone problem? ive used them for a while and never had any problems, at least not yet.

Bruen
05-05-2005, 21:29
hey this may be a little off topic but what is the shield drone problem? ive used them for a while and never had any problems, at least not yet.

Since GW released the Tau FAQ you now need many more drones than before for the same effect because the FAQ overrides the drone special rule about taking hits for their attached unit. Considering how expensive they are it makes them cost-ineffective in many peoples opinion.

GW have repeatedly said that they are going to do something about it.

twisted_mentat
06-05-2005, 05:43
I'm thinking maybe it was the After BTs, because the BT codex has aparantly reached the end phase of playtesting (at least according to some of my sources), which means that its release is counted in months (thats not like 3 months, but in the 6 month window).

Tau though, maybe they will come out before Orks or Eldar, which i know are in the playtesting phase.

I think that what we might see with tau is basicly the same codex. some point values changed, maybe some rewording here and there, but i doubt we'll see Battlesuits go to WS4...evne though i'd love that...

Delicious Soy
06-05-2005, 07:31
I think that what we might see with tau is basicly the same codex. some point values changed, maybe some rewording here and there, but i doubt we'll see Battlesuits go to WS4...evne though i'd love that...How about powerweapons, S10, and 5 attacks? If we're going to ignore th fluff why not go whole hog?

In other news, depending on which way you look at it, the Tau codex may not really be that much of a quick fix. They're only edged out by Necrons in terms of limited variability. New units and more background to integrate them better into 40k are needed before I truly accept them (we'll just ignore the 1200 points of them I own ;)).

Nurglitch_PS
06-05-2005, 08:48
Yeah, you're telling me.

No one will listen. :(

I am wondering - would it be possible for GW to slap some sort of "honcho approved" sticker and make Tau and Elysian army lists official and not requiring opponents consent? Sort of on level with all the other codices?

Please note - it's not a theory, I don't know smack (and care less) about GW's release schedule, I'm just wondering.

philbrad2
06-05-2005, 10:02

Just think its FW doing what they do best, superbly produced minis to a theme. Just happend this current 'theme' comes with a fully illustrated book for about £40/45 and people can't grasp the concept that FW would issue something totally independent of what's going on within GW... I mean anyone would thought they'ed been founded as a speicalist models arm of GW and a separate entity from the main company wouldn't they :D If FW were supporting GW releases why are they putting out lots of new bug bits? Rather than cover lots of 'I want' ideads from gamers/staff. FW have some up with this system of the campaign/reference book. Making models that fit into this book with some other bits like Temri pads to support other GW bits. This way they can to an exten do tgeir own thing and gamers can expect as seriesof releases rather than bits here and there. Just so happen this project involves the Tau so it MUSt mean a new Tau codex is on its way - mind you if the new Battlesuits are anything to go by, especially the new Shas’o R’myr suit then GW might want to use FW to redo the battle suits as their designs are far superior to the original blocky designs.

FW can 'toe the line' with GW and produce supporting models for projects when asked. Unless FW comes up with a stunnig idea that will make GW a mint of cash I really don't think its going to be the other way around. I just hope GW take a leaf out of the FW books and give us a 40K campaign tome that will be up to the quality of the exisiting FW books.

Malakai
07-05-2005, 22:04
This thread should be titled: How I learned to stop worrying and love the Space Marines.

Hahahah, honestly I thinkyou have the right of it.

Rabid Bunny 666
07-05-2005, 22:50
so if there is (and I really do stress the if) going to be a Tau codex before BT, the only logical slot is something like July/August for release this year - which would be roughly when IA3 is supposed to ship. Might be some confusion with that - I guess we'll see.

wasn't forge world doing the taros campaign?

maybe its a fan based slip up?

Dreachon
08-05-2005, 15:29
Yes, FW will release IA3 in the summer, most likely people are mistaking this book for the new tau codex rumour.

Judicator
08-05-2005, 20:06
Today was the GD Vienna. And guess what is the news?
At first I thought that these rumours here on portent were just a confusion between FW Taros Campaign and GW, but apparently it seems that the "new" Tau Codex will be released in Juli supported by the FW Taros Campaign book.
This is from the FW Crew and confirmed by the German Studio Crew. They told me -I was not believing them at first- that it has two reasons: First the Tau do not sell enough, and because of that they want to refocus the community s interest on them again. Secondly, they said that the Tau were to weak compared to other races and do need an overhaul.
The Gw staff mentioned especially the Kroot (why???) and the Firewarriors (why????).
I -a tournament Tau player- myself find this is a little bit far stretched, as the Tau were the only Codex of 3th edition, designed to functionate in 4th ed. too.
In my mind there are only two things which have to be fixed: The Drone Rule and the crappy Krootox.
But even now I am not really sure if there is a new codex on its way...

boogle
08-05-2005, 20:34
never heard of GD Vienna, is it officially sanctioned by GW?

t-tauri
08-05-2005, 20:40
July? Seems odd as that would run into the tailend of the Tyranid releases and a July codex would also have appeared on some trade lists by now, never mind any previews.

boogle
08-05-2005, 20:43
'readys hat to go into oven with some roast patatoes if this is true', smells like a field of cows to me to be honest, unless its going to be like the DA and DE updated Codexes with the addition of Railrifles, addedum to the shield drones and the addition of maybe Kais

Inquisitor Engel
08-05-2005, 21:01
I've never heard of GD Vienna either. And as for July... if that isn't hogwash I don't know what is. Two 40k Codexes in June and then July? Yeah... right.

Maybe by the time July rolls round people will see what a load of crock this really is. :rolleyes:

boogle
08-05-2005, 21:09
FW seem to have lead everyone on a merry dance by confusing people into believing that the Tau Codex is coming out when it is all bull and we'll not see them (if they are coming out) until this time next year at the earliest

t-tauri
08-05-2005, 21:20
Could this mean a WD addendum or a FAQ fix of the problems to tie in with the Taros campaign and lost in translation between English and German studios?

boogle
08-05-2005, 21:26
Graeme McNeill has supposedly said that they aren't going to do any FAQ's for the forseeable future, so i'm not hopeful of any sort of FAQ fixing the Drones in the near future.

woot 500 posts

Bruen
08-05-2005, 22:29
It seems to me that there is more to this rumour than just a new book from Forgeworld. Its just too persistant, I have heard it from several sources.

I wonder if GW are going to put out a Chapter Approved article in WD to coincide with the FW book and the two have been mixed up.

rkunisch
08-05-2005, 22:43
Although I have not been there myself, I can at least confirm that the Gaming Day Vienna is an official event (http://www.games-workshop.de/home/veranstaltungen/gaming_day05/index.shtm) set up by GW Germany.

Have fun,

Rolf.

Delicious Soy
09-05-2005, 10:43
the Tau do not sell enough, and because of that they want to refocus the community s interest on them again. That pretty much flies in the face of the concensus elsewhere that they've become the best selling Xeno race (it may be different in Germany itself, I dunno) But it won't be till after BT, and at least 3 months after that.

philbrad2
09-05-2005, 11:09
It seems to me that there is more to this rumour than just a new book from Forgeworld. Its just too persistant, I have heard it from several sources.

Nah I still think this is fan propogated, seeing IA3 coming out and jumping too conculsions.

Next big GW event with a seminar is Balitmore IIRC in mid May. Any east coast US attendees be able to field the question 'is there a revised Tau codex due out in next 12 months?

Any Tau 'fixing' I can see would be best done as a CA article first of all.

( whoohoo 100 posts :) )

the Tau do not sell enough, and because of that they want to refocus the community s interest on them again.

I agree, this statement seems to be incorrect. The Tau are selling nicely. Of course any revamp with associated codex will boost sales of any race

Bruen
09-05-2005, 11:37
[QUOTE=philbrad]Nah I still think this is fan propogated, seeing IA3 coming out and jumping too conculsions. [QUOTE]

On reflection the different divisions within GW are not usualy sufficiently coordinated for simultaneous releases anyway.

charlie_c67
09-05-2005, 12:11
Well Engel is the best placed of anyone to talk on the subject so I'm gonna with him on this one. It makes no sense, the provisional 6 month rumour window has turned up nothing. Sorry but I think it's just a fan-based piece of rubbish. Too many things going against it.

Samoth
09-05-2005, 15:13
the Tau do not sell enough, and because of that they want to refocus the community s interest on them again.

Even if this was a reason ro revamp a codex, it would put the tau at almost the bottom of the pile.

*cough*eldarorksdarkeldarnecrons*cough*

Farseer Cirdan
17-05-2005, 00:42
This from DAKKA
[I]
The suprise is that the next Codex will be Tau - not Black Templars.

Tau will be AFTER Templars, not instead of them.

Creamy Goodness
17-05-2005, 16:46
Hehe. It's always fun to see these "word of God" posters be proved so wrong. Where are you all now? :D

I can see why Ork and Eldar players will be steamed about this, but personally, speaking as someone who's thinking of starting 40k again and likes the Tau concept, this couldn't be better timed for moi.

charlie_c67
17-05-2005, 16:51
I can't. As I've said elsewhere....

Edit: the getting worked up that is.

plasmadaemon
17-05-2005, 17:41
space marines
tyranids
black templars
tau

remember the 'imperium-xenos-imperium-xenos' pattern ?
black templars are definetly next, although it should be orks/eldar in my opinion.

boogle
17-05-2005, 22:21
just had a thought what they might add to the tau, maybe not variant lists, but customisable battlesuits (each type has x amount of hardpoints, that can be used is various combinations)

Lainer
17-05-2005, 22:34
Actually a TAU codex next year seems sensible. Redoing the orc or eldar model line is a lot of work and and will take time. They'll probably redo the whole model-lines. The Tau will probably get one or two new models at most and will probably not delay an orc/eldar release.

hood_oz
18-05-2005, 00:42
Actually a TAU codex next year seems sensible. Redoing the orc or eldar model line is a lot of work and and will take time. They'll probably redo the whole model-lines. The Tau will probably get one or two new models at most and will probably not delay an orc/eldar release.

However it annoys me, I have to agree with the current belief of Tau, Dark Angel (for xmas) which leaves a good amount of time to finish work on the eldar (sorry I think orks deserve a quicker release) and a big chance for them to get a lead in onto the orks, with updated ranges for Eldar and orks taking up a lot of the plastic developement time. (as most SM stuff is already in the works)

The Tau, well, I dont think it will be TAU getting the work done to them, I have a feeling it will be the allied contingents, like kroot, or possibly a new race or two for them. Like humans, or even something new and shiny... (just a thought, not a rumour)

The large sized model army like Ogre Kingdoms.... Well, kroot ox are large and could do with being plastic... But rumour has it with a full army and soon. So we may see an allied army that can be used on its own like kroot? Clawed Fiends? Tarellians? Something else? Maybe one of the more interesting psychic predators perhaps? (all speculation on my part, not based on rumours)

Orks are going to take a longer time to get inot production, due to the huge need for so many vehicle and model kits. Eldar, almost to the same degree. Orks are on the cards, and have been for a while (in regards to new vehicles) but the B.O.V. has been rumoured for so long it is like a wave serpent.... I can see the sense in getting a revised codex out, to boost model sales, pump in a SM dex, and a third more time consuming dex, along with working on a 'environment' codex like Zero G or similar to cityfight. Nice, but a book on boarding actions is a tempting rumour as we saw in a recent WD someone making a Chaos 'boarding party' so maybe it IS in playtest...

Inquisitor Engel
18-05-2005, 01:18
The Tau, well, I dont think it will be TAU getting the work done to them, I have a feeling it will be the allied contingents, like kroot, or possibly a new race or two for them. Like humans, or even something new and shiny... (just a thought, not a rumour)Let me say the following:

Well, the "Nemesis" approach, of Ultramarines VS Tyranids, Black Templars VS Orks has a large amount of weight as far as the Game Development Team is concerned. The Marine Codex had a lot of stuff regarding Tyranids in it.

*Flips through shiney new Black Templars Codex*

Yes, I certainly see alot of anti-Ork material there.

*Smells that new book smell*

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I have a copy, no I cannot confirm or deny rumours regarding the list, rules, points costs or changes, so don't even bother asking. It's for my playtesting, and revealing anything from it would violate my NDA. I'll say that again - You will not get any Black Templars info out of me.

rogal_dorn
18-05-2005, 03:37
All right then Engel, without giving anything away, would you say it is something to look forward to and start saving for? I've had templars since I saw the 2nd Ed colour scheme and I don't want another disappointment.

the spook
18-05-2005, 07:30
He's just all but said that its going to be orks. Nemisis approach. BT hate orks... He's flipping throught BT codex etc... yadda yadda, where's my lobster bisque?

I sort of hope you're wrong though Mr. Inquisitor...

philbrad2
18-05-2005, 09:11
I sort of hope you're wrong though Mr. Inquisitor...

Somehow I doubt that :D

pullsyjr
18-05-2005, 09:36
What accounts for Necron, Tau and Eldar? They all are just 'generic' opponents - there's no great histories (Macragge, Armageddon etc) to build the nemesis armies from.

Sai-Lauren
18-05-2005, 10:10
What accounts for Necron, Tau and Eldar? They all are just 'generic' opponents - there's no great histories (Macragge, Armageddon etc) to build the nemesis armies from.

Necron vs Ordo Xenos? Deathwatch do spend a lot of time as sentries on tomb worlds.
Haven't the DA had a long emnity with one of the Eldar craftworlds?
Tau? Don't know. Where's Baal supposed to be? ;) The other alternative is they follow Orks on the nemesis plan.

philbrad2
18-05-2005, 11:23
Orks & BA have a history going back to Armageddon II might be used a tie in to move from Orks to BA. IF there is a theme between codex releases to attempt a tie in with 'nemesissssesss' (is that nemisii??) would it be logical to go BT - Ork - BA? Where would Tau tie in with this? Unless of course Tau are paired with BA as an adversary - high tech shooty vs furious h2h ??? From the exisiting background the Tau's SM related entanglements have been UM's and IF's. Not saying the 'Nemesis' rule is hard and fast, I dare say GW can use it to help tie forces together as they're released. It just seems to get a bit stuck around Tau.

Even if as ENGEL hints Orks are probably the 'big' 40K army for 2006 when will we see them? Early 06 on summer 06?

Seems GW are keen to keep Q4 in the next few years open for SM Chapters. Makes financial sense with Xmas being a big sales period and SM's being big sellers. However the timing of Orks or Tau first for '06. Of course its not neccessary to have an SM vs Xenos as 'Nemesis' adversaries. Tau have a degree of 'previous' against Orks. Perhaps the releases will be BT's - Orks - Tau - SM chapter (BA???)

rkunisch
18-05-2005, 11:34
Well, I don't read anything about the release schedule in Engel's post. All he talks about is, that the BT Codex pictures the Orcs as the Nemesis. I see it more from the background point of view and that is good for me. It gave the armies some more flavour.

Have fun,

Rolf.

Rich
18-05-2005, 11:44
In the 'post christmas' period everyone tends to be low on cash, so i doubt a new year codex release would see release before march? Then you have march, maybe july release and november release? Three codexes a year with a decent amount of time in between them? Fact is though, it won't happen like that 'cus GW follows its own marketing plan which makes no sence to us mere mortals...

The nemesis theory has always been popular, and has always been a reason for orks to follow BTs. Eldar could then follow another Sm army (doesn't really matter which one - the only real adversary eldar have is chaos and the c'tan).

mangustheix
18-05-2005, 11:49
Well, following what I read about in the report from GD Baltimore (http://portent.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2256) it seems that Tau will be after BT. I guess I can understand why as well. They probably dont need to redo lots of artwork, keep the same template from the last one, and just make some modifications. I would guess it is going to take about 1/2 the time as a normal codex.

It is annoying that we will have to wait for Eldar and Orks, but I guess it means that there is going to be more work done on them and hopefully they wont be rushed.

charlie_c67
18-05-2005, 12:05
However since Engel's a playtester you'd have thought he'd have a clearer idea than someones speculations from a simple chat wouldn't you?

philbrad2
18-05-2005, 12:15
Well, I don't read anything about the release schedule in Engel's post. All he talks about is, that the BT Codex pictures the Orcs as the Nemesis. Rolf.

Sorry my post intimated it was ENGEL who said that. BRIMSTONE mentioned the possible release schedule I was simply picking up on ENG's info and BRIM's musing in the Baltimore GD thread (http://portent.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2256) and putting the two together to come up with a caramel flavours glass elephant called Harold. Ap-a-logies for any in-con-weinience

Have fun,

Oh I will you can count on that :)

rkunisch
18-05-2005, 13:08
Sorry my post intimated it was ENGEL who said that. BRIMSTONE mentioned the possible release schedule I was simply picking up on ENG's info and BRIM's musing in the Baltimore GD thread (http://portent.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2256) and putting the two together to come up with a caramel flavours glass elephant called Harold. Ap-a-logies for any in-con-weinience

Wow, I think my post sounded a lot ruder than it was meant, mea culpa. :eek:

I am aware of the facts outlined, but all I meant was that Engel's post could easily be misunderstood. It may well be me who misunderstood Engel's intention.

Have fun,

Oh I will you can count on that :)

I am glad to hear this. :D

Have fun,

Rolf.

Tim
18-05-2005, 17:41
It occurred to me that we are making a lot of assumptions here. The worst is that GW may be inserting Tau to add more releases next year and that this would give them more time to work on Eldar and or Orks.

Truth is that we don't know the release schedule, Tau may have been there all along and neither Eldar nor Orks will actually get any additional work for a few years yet.

As far as we know the schedule could have one if not both of those codexes last. GW dosen't make its decisions based on existing customers, we have most of the models we will buy, they target new customers, the ones who will buy new armies, many of which won't even come out of the boxes they are sold in. Which army needs a new codex most is inmaterial.

The only Sure thing is that Tyranids are now, and Black Templars are next. In time we will know whos after that.

What makes no sense is why GW is doing the 6 month (or less) window. Most other game companies let their customers know whats comming as soon as its on the schedule. This builds expectation and excitement and leads to more sales.

Starship troopers have been on our radar for over a year. This has built it a huge following and its only just now being released.

Brimstone
18-05-2005, 17:59
What makes no sense is why GW is doing the 6 month (or less) window. Most other game companies let their customers know whats comming as soon as its on the schedule. This builds expectation and excitement and leads to more sales.

Starship troopers have been on our radar for over a year. This has built it a huge following and its only just now being released.

That's because Starship Troopers was a brand new game and most of the good stuff was very slowly leaked out, mainly because Mongoose as a far smaller company was able to keep fairly tight control on it.

GW's releases tended to be shown a lot earlier Ogres for example the basic models were shown a year before the actual release and many details were known for quite some time.

This elminates a lot of the buzz behind any launch and leads to unexcited and jaded consumers which when you are trying to sell as much as GW does is not a good idea.

Saying that however the people that are interested in that sort of stuff i.e. us represent a very small proportion of GW's userbase, we just tend to be more vocal. ;)

That's why I can understand the reasons behind the 6 month barrier but that's not to say I agree with it.

Just makes life a lot harder but the game is the thing. :cool:

All the release schedules posted and discussed here are speculation mixed with few facts and many conclusions, however the Portent community seems to be right more often than it's wrong.

Negafex
18-05-2005, 18:02
on the topic of orks and eldar what about dark eldar? Will they ever be redone or will they be forgotten?

Brimstone
18-05-2005, 18:11
on the topic of orks and eldar what about dark eldar? Will they ever be redone or will they be forgotten?

They will be redone but in their own book at some point in the future.

Like the variant marine codicies and the marine codex their background and theme will developed alongside the main Eldar codex.

However I'd imagine there are a lot of models to be redone so it's debatable if it would slip in as a "filler codex" rather than the major or marine ones.

However this is pretty OT for a Tau thread If you want to discuss it further you should find one of the numerous Eldar threads in rumours.

mangustheix
18-05-2005, 18:50
We have heard from various members of the design team that they have a rough schedule, but dont set anything in stone after the codex they are currently working on. I would think that they are approaching the end of BT and trying to work out what will come next. Obviously they planned Eldar, as I think everyone agrees. Maybe something has changed in the Warhammer schedule and now they need to put out a codex faster. This means they will probably get Tau done, rather than rushing Eldar or Orks through.

Creamy Goodness
18-05-2005, 19:07
Somehow I doubt that :D

Someone's in luuurve...... :p

philbrad2
19-05-2005, 09:46
Someone's in luuurve...... :p

I'm a happily married man (so my wife tells me!) I don't do lurrrvvvvveeee ;) (not recently anyway) :D

panda
19-05-2005, 10:28
I'd put some faith in SW and DE as adversaries- the most noble of marine chapters vs the most depraved xenos. Makes sense to me ( but then again so did fluro shoes and an undercut in the 90's).

athamas
19-05-2005, 10:48
hmmm with Bt being the next chapter, if tau followed, it would kinda make sense dou to the crusade, if this was the case, it would not surprise me to see BA [the mos tnoble chapter!] vs orks, as they have always been enimies, then as panda said, SW vs eldar, though that does leave a gap as to who the DA would face, unless they faced craftworld eldar, and SW faced dark....

philbrad2
19-05-2005, 13:06
We're looking at this in very much an SM vs XENOS line of thought. Tau have documented background of their struggle against the Orks. There are a couple of big 'IF's' here but if GW switch to doing 3 codicies per year in 2006 and if Orks follow BT's I think we'll see Tau follow Orks.

Of course this is total speculation, but speculation that ties in with exiting rumour and fact. We know BT's are next. The Tau re do is still very much a rumour until confirmed and the Ork theory has some strong 'hint' elements thanks to ENGELS musings on the BT codex/armylist, plus the fact we've seen rumours about Ork vehicle sprues and modular Ork vehicles since Xmas 2004. Putting all three together (I think) it souds quite credible.

We may get an incling of what's post BT's at Chicago GD but I'm not banking on it as it barely 6 months from the GD date. The 6 month time frame will take up up to the tail end of possible BT releases.

Creamy Goodness
19-05-2005, 14:58
I'm a happily married man (so my wife tells me!) I don't do lurrrvvvvveeee ;) (not recently anyway) :D

Hehe.

Back OT, I'm happy with the choice of orks as BT's nemesis, makes sense as I could think of no other xenos they have so much history with. Looks like eldar will be the big summer '07 release. Suck for them.

Deadnight
31-05-2005, 21:36
damn, i thought these boards were dead! glad to see the'yve rolled a 4+ on the WBB rolls!

Tau do need an update-i can't see why people say they don't.

Firstly, crisis suits (ui-o) stat increases seem odd. they get better in cc despite zero training in it. THere is a very valid argument shas'vre deserve bs4. then maybe we'd take bodyguards! Some new systems would be nice as well. New models would be appreciated (shoulder pads and nicer helmets!)
Broadsides need new models- damn they're ugly!
Drones need to be seriously re-worked.
Carbines need an upgrade.
Pathfinders are too handicapped by the obligatory fish. they need rules that do justice to their fluff, and the fish does not qualify.
Krootox and Kroot hounds should be kroot squad upgrades.
better codex cover artwork!

I'm not too sure if the tau dodex is really near- i've always heard it would be 2007-8, but i HAVE heard a lot of rumours of a new codex lately, and where there is smoke, there could be fire.
I just hope GW does a decent job playtesting, and doesnt rush it IF the rumours prove to be true. I want a nicem fixed list, not the old list with a grubby band-aid!