PDA

View Full Version : The bounty of bits that is the stompa

cuda1179
08-04-2009, 06:11
I know that this review of the stompa kit is a couple months too late, but hey, it's new to me.:D

I am just thrilled with all the optional and extra parts that come with the Stompa. I currently have a scratch built, although unfinished stompa as well. Now I can finish it without all the tedius scratch building.

My one and only complaint is that the standard stompa kit looks a little "busy" for my tastes. I know that the Orks like their bling, and will weld anything and everything to the vehicles, but if I included all the options that are suggested it would just be too much.

All in all I give the Stompa a 9.5 out of 10.

Clang
08-04-2009, 06:31
It's a very nice kit, I'm building mine now. But I don't think it's customisable enough, other than random minor bling like armour plates and glyphs etc - all kit-built stompas look painfully similar (and thus a bit un-orky). I'm making an effort to build a unique stompa (splitting the kit parts and adding scratch-built bits to make 2 stompas, and magnetising all the arms for easy weapon swaps), but I know a lot of modellers won't bother

A1TEC
08-04-2009, 07:16
It is a great kit but if you have a bunch of them in an apocalypse game, then it just doesn't look good.

zombied00d
08-04-2009, 07:21
There should have been different arms. Even the Baneblade had some customizability to it.

a squig
08-04-2009, 07:44
just like the orginal banebladeand titans it only has one option before other varients were added later so give it 6/12 months or so and we will see some new stuff. :D

DarkReaver
08-04-2009, 09:00
GW released a Stompa??!? I thought that was just a box of random bits :D

Clang
08-04-2009, 21:00
I can certainly see Forgeworld releasing some variant kits for replacement arms and heads etc - it is suspicious that the arms are on separate sprues, almost as if GW had planned for that possibility. And a GW expansion sprue would also be possible. But either will be of little consolation to modellers who've already assembled their kit and glued on the standard arms :(

BobTheZombie
08-04-2009, 21:08
I disliked it when I first saw it, but it's grown on me to the extent that I picked one up. There is scope for cutomisation, and any experienced mek can churn out some excellent stuff with the kit as a base, as seen in the datasheets.

Marshal Sinclair
08-04-2009, 21:08
Now that you can buy Reaver weapons seperately we might finally start seeing some decent looking Stompas built with the kit. I like the body, but the arms look terrible if you don't do a lot of extensive conversion. I'd love to see a Stompa with Gatling Blaster (Gatling Blasta!) and Power Fist (Powa Smasha!), with perhaps some sort of belly cannon (made from the weapon parts from the Shadow Sword kit (don't use the whole cannon obviously)). You could make some pretty good vehicles.

brightblade
08-04-2009, 21:16
I think the stompa kit is fantastic. I built mine the wrong way round (deliberately) so I could put a nice belly gun in and so I could make it look like it was taking a big step. Turned out great!

A lovely kit that is easy and fun to chop up and change. Great stuff GW. :D

Gazak Blacktoof
08-04-2009, 21:38
just like the orginal banebladeand titans it only has one option before other varients were added later so give it 6/12 months or so and we will see some new stuff. :D

The current scuttlebutt from the Forge Wold open day thread is that GW has no plans to produce add-ons for the stompa but FW will do some.

Calibrate
09-04-2009, 00:55
I saw one at the local GW. Thought it looked pretty cool... Orky in my opinion. Though, I could see how 3 or 4 of them (standard issue) would be a little too linear for orks...

Just my thoughts....

MrGiggles
09-04-2009, 01:00
GW released a Stompa??!? I thought that was just a box of random bits :D

Dude, I think you just described most of the vehicles in my army. Man, I love me Orks.

Meriwether
09-04-2009, 01:04
It gets a '0' out of 10 from me because they released it only a year after I had already scratch-built three...

Meri

RichBlake
09-04-2009, 01:57
It gets a '0' out of 10 from me because they released it only a year after I had already scratch-built three...

Meri

A bit harsh :p

I'll be honest I don't collect Orks but if someone by me doesn't buy a Stompa soon I'll bloody buy one.

CommissarKlink
09-04-2009, 02:36
I decided that, as cool as stompas are, $95 is a little steep. So, I told myself that if I bought a Stompa kit, I would have to build 2 stompas from it. I promptly bought it, and am slowly but surely scratchbuilding my through this project. When they are done, life will be awesome.

In the meantime, rivets and hydraulics are such a pain.

Hellebore
09-04-2009, 03:18
I'm still unsure exactly how its legs go on. The plastic model has what look like chains running front to back along which the 'feet' slide, but the stompa poster that came out shows the internal workings and actual knees and legs.

I think that if I make one it will have to have proper legs modelled into it.

Hellebore

Templar Ben
09-04-2009, 03:33

Sales are high enough for that?

Torga_DW
09-04-2009, 04:19
I hate the new line of ork stuff. I've got the ork codex but i can't put a list together that i'm happy with. But looking at all these new trukks, battlewagons and stompas, i just want to buy one. I was happier when the stuff looked like crap or simply didn't exist, there was no tempation before. ;)

Orion the Lost
09-04-2009, 04:33
I'm about halfway done putting mine together. gotta start on arms so i can see what i need to build a lifta droppa. i have a belly gun ready to be put on, the gaze of mork already in place, and made my own custom bad moons glyph for it. painting it will be the challenging bit.

Phunkmanyeman
09-04-2009, 05:19
I hate the new line of ork stuff. I've got the ork codex but i can't put a list together that i'm happy with. But looking at all these new trukks, battlewagons and stompas, i just want to buy one. I was happier when the stuff looked like crap or simply didn't exist, there was no tempation before. ;)

Yeah, jump on that bandwagon. What is it they say If you cant beat em join em :)