PDA

View Full Version : Charging while wheeling

Bum
08-04-2009, 06:41
It's been a while since I've played so I was a little rusty on this. On top of that I guess I lost my little rulebook (have a replacement on the way!) so I had to use the other guy's rulebook the last game I played.

Now, he was relatively new so he made some mistakes, but one I let go involved wheeling (It didn't make a difference over the game, all our charges were obviously there or straight ahead charges).

I know you get a free wheel before a charge, but I thought this still came out of your movement. Instead, he would wheel then measure the distance. Again, I felt this was wrong but after making him pull out the rule book 5+ times I started to let minor things go that wouldn't effect the game.

So, my basic question is when you charge and are allowed a "free" wheel does it still come out of your movement?

Thanks

d99

Necromancy Black
08-04-2009, 07:21
the free wheel happens when you come into base to base contact with the enemy. Until this time all movement is measured including the single wheel you can make before touching the enemy.

Bum
08-04-2009, 07:26
Thanks, that sounds more like it.

WusteGeist
08-04-2009, 07:28
The "free wheel" is a misnomer from way back in 6th ed. There is no free wheel in this edition. What you get is a wheel at any point during the charge. You still must pay for the wheel, you just get to commit it at any point. The only thing that is free during a charge is that monsters and chariots may make a free pivot at any point during a charge.

Necromancy Black
08-04-2009, 07:59
Page 21 says you get a free alignment, which is exactly the same as a free wheel once you contact the enemy.

EDIT:: No it's not, but it's as close as you can get :p

Gazak Blacktoof
08-04-2009, 08:59
Indeed, anybody who has been playing for more than 7th edition or was taught by anybody who played prior to 7th edition will call "aligning the combatants" a "free wheel to align" or something similar.

Spirit
08-04-2009, 09:11
Tell me, how much do you have to wheel when charging? Enough to maximise your units or enough to get one model into combat?

This is because it requires a lot less movement to only wheel a little, so you can charge from a more "odd" angle, if you only have to wheel a little.

If this was the case, i would play the "encouraged" way and avoid clipping by moving the units into combat anyway. But im never sure if i'm doing it correctly...

Gazak Blacktoof
08-04-2009, 09:33
Your charge move must bring the most number of models (both friendly and enemy) into contact- Its on p.21 under, "manoeuvring during a charge".

Against skirmishers you can wheel tactically to change the angle of your attack as the maximum number of models is always brought into contact, this is clarified as being legal in the 1st (?) BRB FAQ.

Clipping only occurs when a unit is charging a unit at the extreme edge of its charge or else through awkward positioning of other units and terrain.

Chicago Slim
08-04-2009, 12:00
Quite right-- the upshot of the charge movement rules (p 21) are that you DO have to wheel in such a way as to maximize models in combat, but that gets trumped by your maximum distance-- that is to say, if it's a choice between maxing fighters OR getting in at all, you still get in...

Atrahasis
08-04-2009, 12:53
Getting in in that case IS maximising fighters: one is more than zero.

Spirit
08-04-2009, 13:23
Quite right-- the upshot of the charge movement rules (p 21) are that you DO have to wheel in such a way as to maximize models in combat, but that gets trumped by your maximum distance-- that is to say, if it's a choice between maxing fighters OR getting in at all, you still get in...

This is the main issue i was talking about, if i can wheel 2" and charge 6" to get into combat with one model, but could not wheel 4" to engage most models because i have no movement to reach the enemy, what exactly do i do?

Fail charge or charge one model? Atrahasis's way of doing it is how i've always assumed to do it, but it can be a bit awkward to physically do.

How do you do it in games, keep a marker where the unit is, so you can check your move to ensure your maximising? This situation seems to be coming up more and more in my local store.

Gazak Blacktoof
08-04-2009, 14:07
Yep put a marker there if you can't work it out without moving the unit.

Spirit
08-04-2009, 14:40
Good good, something i've never been sure on.