PDA

View Full Version : Blood Ravens

bocaj
08-04-2009, 13:40
I just got Dawn of war 2 and I now want to collect blood ravens but don't know where to start. I would like to have a fully mechinised force when the army is complete. Do you use the normal SM codex or do Blood Ravens have their own? And what should I get to start with?

captainramoz
08-04-2009, 13:42
I just got Dawn of war 2 and I now want to collect blood ravens but don't know where to start. I would like to have a fully mechinised force when the army is complete. Do you use the normal SM codex or do Blood Ravens have their own? And what should I get to start with?
Normal codex chapter
I recomend libis and tac squads in rhinos or razorbacks

bocaj
08-04-2009, 20:28
I just got the codex and a box of tactical marines and I can't find mention of them in the codex so dose any one have any datasheet with any Blood raven characters. Also what paints should I use?

AbyssRaven
08-04-2009, 20:29
there arn't any

use the special characters in codex and re name them

SimonL
08-04-2009, 20:34
Indeed; introducing Craven Shriek of the Blood Ravens! :D

sydbridges
08-04-2009, 20:51
I just got the codex and a box of tactical marines and I can't find mention of them in the codex so dose any one have any datasheet with any Blood raven characters. Also what paints should I use?

I believe in the 4th ed codex, Blood Ravens had a set of traits which were theirs. That's the closest they've ever been to having 'special rules'. Traits are out with the 5th ed codex, so pretty much you can do whatever you want. A Librarian would be pretty fluffy, though, since the Blood Ravens are supposed to have a higher-than-normal number of them.

As far as paints, there used to be a guide to painting Blood Ravens on the GW website, but since it was useful information, it was probably removed with the website redesign. I think Scab Red highlighted up to 50:50 Red Gore and Blood Red might do for the red parts of the armor?

Eldartank
09-04-2009, 00:55
I would love to build a Blood Ravens army. I could easily do a nice job with the color scheme. The problem is their chapter symbol. As far as I know, Blood Raven decals aren't available, and I really can't hand-paint that symbol.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
09-04-2009, 00:59
Well, because I'm such a nice fellow....

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2008/06/blood-ravens-logo-sheet.html

You're welcome.

sabre4190
09-04-2009, 02:29
The blood ravens have no special chapter organization that makes them unique. They are a codex chapter, and although they fight with their own style, they are still a codex chapter with the same flexibility as every other chapter. Their characters can just as easily be represented by standard options. So you can take whatever you want from the book, and it will be appropirate.

The one distinguishing thing about BRs is that they have alot of librarians. This is kind of funny, because there has only been one librarian in the video games, who was of course, executed.

sabre4190
09-04-2009, 02:30
Well, because I'm such a nice fellow....

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2008/06/blood-ravens-logo-sheet.html

You're welcome.

And i must mention: Epic Win my friend. Epic Win.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
09-04-2009, 14:35
And i must mention: Epic Win my friend. Epic Win.

*laughs*

Bell of Lost Souls does some amazing thing, they are probably my second favorite Warhammer website.

bocaj
10-04-2009, 14:01
The way I'm going to collect them is first make a 500pts army then 750 then 1000 then a 1500pts army.
My first army will include 2 tactical squads with flamer and missile launcher. But what else should I put in it?

Tennboy
10-04-2009, 14:26
Maybe a Rhino or Two, or a Dread.

Leftenant Gashrog
10-04-2009, 14:28
All kudos to the BolS chaps, they did a very admirable job of replicating the chapter badge from the Index Astartes article.

Personally however I would never defile a Blood Raven with the godaweful chapter badge from the IA article - thankfully Bolter & Chainsword does some decals that actually bear a passing resemblance to the chapter badge from the computer games:
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?automodule=downloads&showfile=41

SPYDER68
10-04-2009, 14:34
The way I'm going to collect them is first make a 500pts army then 750 then 1000 then a 1500pts army.
My first army will include 2 tactical squads with flamer and missile launcher. But what else should I put in it?

Razor backs are always a good option with heavy bolters on top.

- Deathwing -
10-04-2009, 14:37
But that isn't the original Chapter Badge. The Ravens head should be like the one at Bell of lost souls. The rest from B&C looks fine.

bocaj
10-04-2009, 15:12
Ok so 2 tactical squads w missle launcher flamer and razor back and what for anti-tank/aumor, cc squad and HQ

Tactical squad 170
-Missile launcher
-Flamer
-Rhino

Tactical squad 170
-Missile launcher
-Flamer
-Rhino

90pts left what to get?

sigur
10-04-2009, 15:50
I suggest having a few games and deciding for yourself. Just try out things. It's half the game actually.

But if I was you, I'd get a commander of some sort to have your army playable. Do you own a rulebook at all? If not, get one. Now. And then learn it. For games of 500pts, I suggest using combat patrol or 40k in 40k minutes rules.

bocaj
10-04-2009, 16:22
I have 4th edition mini rulebook which dosen't have conbat patrol and I dont want to spend 30 on one which dose.

Sirroelivan
10-04-2009, 16:33
Well, you'll have to buy the latest version of the rulebook, meaning fifth edition.

The combat patrol rules used to be on the GW site I think, but with the revamp...

rev
10-04-2009, 16:51
I ran a really successfull BR list until I sold them,

1 libby
4 x full squads in rhinos with flamers (libby in with one 9 man squad)
2 x 5 man HB squads
1 x 10 man RL squad (combat squadding)

61 marines.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o276/revmatt/Minis/Blood%20ravens/DSC_0361.jpg

Possibly the most successful list I've ever used in fact.

captainramoz
10-04-2009, 17:22
I think sicarius will fit well for davian or angelos.
Pd:Angelos is better

bocaj
10-04-2009, 18:33
I think sicarius will fit well for davian or angelos.
Pd:Angelos is better

I was thinking that (names from DOW2)
Cyrus as tellion
Avitus as devastator captain
Thaddeus as assauly marrine captain
Tarkus as either Tactical marrine captain or termi captain (my tactical marines were in termi aumor)
Davian Thule as a dreadnaught

Forlorn
10-04-2009, 20:05
@bocaj

Set your army up to your play style. Your army could also go with drop pods. And remember you can take a 10 man tactical squad with a razorback and split the squad into -2- 5 man squads. 1/2 of the squad would be in/with the razorback and the other 1/2 could have a Hvy weapon in it and be placed in support. :p

sabre4190
11-04-2009, 06:09
I was thinking that (names from DOW2)
Cyrus as tellion
Avitus as devastator captain
Thaddeus as assauly marrine captain
Tarkus as either Tactical marrine captain or termi captain (my tactical marines were in termi aumor)
Davian Thule as a dreadnaught

This would be a great idea. I say go for it, as its a nice idea to add that extra little touch.

Of course, youll be needing more tactical squads in the army, and possibly more assault/devastator squads depending on how big the army gets. Use the opportunity to add new characters as sergeants. I would have 4 fleshed out characters and the rest be "sergeant A" and "sergeant B".

Quick note: when you say "devastator captain" and "assault captain", you really mean sergeant. The idea of an army having 5 captains is too terrifying to comprehend.

bocaj
11-04-2009, 17:52
I will collect the 2nd company of blood ravens the organisation form here (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Codex_Astartes)and use special character names and use the fluff to make special rules for the chapter from here (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Blood_Ravens).Probbily make it mechinised and add units on loan from the 1st conpany (add termis and veterans).

Darnok
11-04-2009, 18:50
I have 4th edition mini rulebook which dosen't have conbat patrol and I dont want to spend 30 on one which dose.

Get the "Assault on Black Reach" box set. That provides you with the current rules, and a suitable set of models to start with. Trade or sell the Orks.

And first paint the stuff you'll have at that point, and then decide what to get next. Having a few games under your belt helps a lot.

victorpofa
14-04-2009, 21:07
I was thinking Davian Thule as a dreadnaught

What happened to Captain Thule?! :p

I agree with Darnok. Grab a Black Reach set to get a legal army to start, plus a 5th Edition mini rule book. Sell or trade the Orks if you don't have a use for them.

bocaj
18-05-2009, 22:19
What happened to Captain Thule?! :p

He got attacked by a tyranid warrior and the poison almost killed him but apothacary gordain found a anti-venom to stop him dieing but cvouldn't bring him back to full strentgh so the tech marine martellius put him in a dreadnaught.