PDA

View Full Version : questions that need answering AKA stuff that should be FAQed

ser_hag
08-04-2009, 14:11
weve had the book at our local shop for nearly a month now and have gotten several games under our belts. while we all agree that this is the tightest ruleset GW has made in recent memory, it is still a GW game, so it goes without saying that there are some things that just make you go hmmmmm. for example...

1. mumaks, trolls, fell beasts...theyre all ******* huge, yet technically are single company formations, so artillery is -1 to hit them. really? that mumak is as big as a house! on a related note, how come the balrog can hide from shooting behind a unit of moria goblins? he crawls behind them i suppose :D

2. speaking of artillery, whats with the wild disparity between the mordor siege bow and the gondor one? same points cost, yet the mordor bow shoots twice as far and hits 2 points of strength higher. surely this has to be a misprint somewhere...common fantasy logic states that human tech>orc tech!

3. how far apart do formations need to stay? page 26 intimates that it should be 1", but then goes on to say that thats only if the formations accidentally touch. in a game where you can premeasure, that seems to be a fairly rare occurence...so you can get formations right next to each other unless you accidentally bump them together, at which point the bounce 1" apart. hmmm.

4. what happens when you want to put a character in a cavalry unit, but there is no cavalry fig for that particular character? theres nothing in the rules that specifically prohibits it. can grima go in a rohan cav unit? can a unit of galadrim cav act as a delivery system for super-dueller galadriel, protectress?

5. gollum. can he leave the formation he starts with? hes just an epic hero, and the rules say they can leave at the start of their move. so can gollum murderize most of the unit then bug out to another one? and what happens to him if he doesnt vacate the unit? he dies (too efficient!)?

6. this one is tricky. say you have this set up:

uuuu-cbns-uuuu
uuuu-uuuu-uuuu

where u=uruk, c=captain, b=banner, s=saruman. say the unit takes some casualties and the leftmost company is destroyed. the formation then gets flanked on the right side by say shelob and she causes enough casualties to where the entire command company is removed...do all the characters just die? per the rules, you have to pull from unengaged companies first, so does this just make getting flanked that much more punishing?
7. this one is not confusing at all, the rules are clear cut, but astonishingly silly. when the mumak tramples a unit, it says the unit has to fall back. okay, makes sense. fall back says the unit has to go towards the closest table edge...so if the unit is too close to the table edge, they will run away from the mumak and be destroyed, even if there is a good foot of free space moving away from the board edge. durrrrr.

anyways. this game is really quite awesome, but like any GW production a few things sneak through.

Nilhouse
08-04-2009, 14:39
I'll see if I can help here...

1. mumaks, trolls, fell beasts...theyre all ******* huge, yet technically are single company formations, so artillery is -1 to hit them. really? that mumak is as big as a house! on a related note, how come the balrog can hide from shooting behind a unit of moria goblins? he crawls behind them i suppose :D

I don't think this needs to be faq'd, it's just a rules abstraction.

2. speaking of artillery, whats with the wild disparity between the mordor siege bow and the gondor one? same points cost, yet the mordor bow shoots twice as far and hits 2 points of strength higher. surely this has to be a misprint somewhere...common fantasy logic states that human tech>orc tech!

I believe the Gondor one is much better protected. Better defense, command, and fight values. Those mordor orcs on the siege bow will get cut down by arrows really quickly.

3. how far apart do formations need to stay? page 26 intimates that it should be 1", but then goes on to say that thats only if the formations accidentally touch. in a game where you can premeasure, that seems to be a fairly rare occurence...so you can get formations right next to each other unless you accidentally bump them together, at which point the bounce 1" apart. hmmm.

1". I'm not really sure how this is an issue.

4. what happens when you want to put a character in a cavalry unit, but there is no cavalry fig for that particular character? theres nothing in the rules that specifically prohibits it. can grima go in a rohan cav unit? can a unit of galadrim cav act as a delivery system for super-dueller galadriel, protectress?

You just make a figurine, or say something count's as. There are no restrictions on that, other than that I think it specificly says Golum can only go in an infantry unit. Speaking of him...

5. gollum. can he leave the formation he starts with? hes just an epic hero, and the rules say they can leave at the start of their move. so can gollum murderize most of the unit then bug out to another one? and what happens to him if he doesnt vacate the unit? he dies (too efficient!)?

I don't see why he couldnt leave the unit he starts with, as long as he stays in infantry formations.

uuuu-cbns-uuuu
uuuu-uuuu-uuuu

where u=uruk, c=captain, b=banner, s=saruman. say the unit takes some casualties and the leftmost company is destroyed. the formation then gets flanked on the right side by say shelob and she causes enough casualties to where the entire command company is removed...do all the characters just die? per the rules, you have to pull from unengaged companies first, so does this just make getting flanked that much more punishing?

Sounds right, but I'll have to review my books

7. this one is not confusing at all, the rules are clear cut, but astonishingly silly. when the mumak tramples a unit, it says the unit has to fall back. okay, makes sense. fall back says the unit has to go towards the closest table edge...so if the unit is too close to the table edge, they will run away from the mumak and be destroyed, even if there is a good foot of free space moving away from the board edge. durrrrr.

Right

stonehorse
08-04-2009, 16:15

The Gondor Avanger Bolt Thrower does a lot more hits; D6+4, or D6+8, which makes a big difference.

I'm sure GW will be bringing out a model soon, or just convert one. Grima stood on a Rohan Cavalry base talking to the rider would be quite apt.

Can't see why he can't leave, and as you have pointed out it is a good way to ensure he doesn't die... fog of war can be an issue for friendly fire.

What I feel needs to be addressed is if the hits saved from Kharmul's Essence Leach can be applied to an enemy formation, I think they can, but it is a bit too open for personal opinions.

Nilhouse
08-04-2009, 16:20
I'm sure GW will be bringing out a model soon, or just convert one. Grima stood on a Rohan Cavalry base talking to the rider would be quite apt.

If I remember my books correctly, Theoden even gave Grima the chance to ride with him to battle to redeem himself, but Grima refused. Being from Rohan he would certainly be good enough rider.

Nu Fenix
08-04-2009, 16:20
What I feel needs to be addressed is if the hits saved from Kharmul's Essence Leach can be applied to an enemy formation, I think they can, but it is a bit too open for personal opinions.

They indeed can, as it doesn't say Friendly in the description. The purpose is the Leech the life essence from the enemy. If it had to be friendly only, you would just discount the hit instead, as that is also an allowed option with his ability.

Rebounding hits onto the enemy is why he is so popular.

stonehorse
08-04-2009, 16:23
Glad to see I was reading it right... I was just worried that it was a little bit too good. So glad I choose Easterlings in SBG!

JHK
08-04-2009, 21:47
A few other things that stood out to me.

Why do Ring wraiths in the individual forms not have Spirit walk, yet they do as Winged Nazgul and in their form as "the nine are abroad". Seems like a typo to me, but I wasn;t sure.

Second thing I noticed is that Beechbone and Quickbeam both had lower courage than a generic ent. This runs contrary to most of the other characters.

Any thoughts on these?

Also as a plus, I think that its amazing that the Outrider Eored has the only level 2 shooting score- beyond any elf or Ranger. I don;t want this to be a typo, since I think it makes the Outriders extra nice, but it does seem strange.

Tae
08-04-2009, 22:40
Why do Ring wraiths in the individual forms not have Spirit walk, yet they do as Winged Nazgul and in their form as "the nine are abroad". Seems like a typo to me, but I wasn;t sure.

There are other 'oddities' in the book too.

For instance, Legolas by himself causes Terror, but yet when you place him with Aragorn and Gimli as part of the Three Hunters, he doesn't.

Surely he would be more terrifying when he has Aragorn and Gimli backing him up? But apparantly no, Legloas is more scarey when you take him on by himself.

Perhaps being an Elf he just wants to hug you, which is truely terrifying for an Orc :p

FuzzyOrb
08-04-2009, 23:30
Hobbits have a shooting score of 3...
Nasty little creatures...

Reinholt
09-04-2009, 02:33
Regarding the character oddities:

Notice that there's a section where it states the character abilities were included largely in the name of completeness.

Basically, Legolas causes terror because elves cause terror, and so on... they aren't intended to transfer them to units, just there for background, completeness, and future expansion, if I recall.

tabletopnews
09-04-2009, 04:04
Not really an FAQ issue but why can't the Angmar army take Trolls as non-ally troops?

msoong
09-04-2009, 05:09
There are other 'oddities' in the book too.

For instance, Legolas by himself causes Terror, but yet when you place him with Aragorn and Gimli as part of the Three Hunters, he doesn't.

Surely he would be more terrifying when he has Aragorn and Gimli backing him up? But apparantly no, Legloas is more scarey when you take him on by himself.

Perhaps being an Elf he just wants to hug you, which is truely terrifying for an Orc :p

I think in general a legendary formation version of a character is always cheaper than the Epic hero version and therefore whimpier. I think the rationale being that Epic hero is much more useful, and one can play a "higher" level game to have heros that behaves more like a unit for less cost. YMMV

jaws900
09-04-2009, 09:19
Unfortunatly i don't know. I know that the Mumak can be seen all the ime becuase of it's hight but other than that i don't know. If you feel this sort of theing then make a house rule (Rules that applys to your game(s))

I can answer this one. The Gondor both thrower is a Reapeter bolt thrower and as such has a shorter acuracy and strength due to the number of bolts being fired it can store up the tention to give it the range and power of other bolts.

You should try to keep them apart but if it is unavoidable then it is. It's mainly so people don't cheat and comine 2 units of orcs etc.

4. what happens when you want to put a character in a cavalry unit, but there is no cavalry fig for that particular character? theres nothing in the rules that specifically prohibits it. can grima go in a rohan cav unit? can a unit of galadrim cav act as a delivery system for super-dueller galadriel, protectress? Some heros can mount but unless you have the modal for it then you can't. this does mena that grima can't ant the mo but men like Elfhelm who are not modals yet are often replaced by a Royal gurad or captain who is painted diffrently.

He would die if the the unit is destroyed as with any other epic hero. I belive he can jump to another unit but doing so may mean he can use his murder ability that turn. Again i think a House rule is in order here.

uuuu-cbns-uuuu
uuuu-uuuu-uuuu

You ALWAYS remove men from the Non command compaie first meaing that Saruaman should be the last to die.
I would think that they would dart to eaither side to get out of the way so i feel that in this case you may chose where they fall back too.

Hope that answers everything and all the answers are in red (I hope).

Emissary
09-04-2009, 15:08
Something else I've been trying to figure out. I'm probably just missing it.

Does Inspiring Leader pass on the courage for non-tests? Mainly as defense against spirit grasp or whatever it's called. IE, if my orcs are in combat against some ghosts and the dark marshal is nearby is their D 2 or 5?

Nilhouse
09-04-2009, 15:24
Something else I've been trying to figure out. I'm probably just missing it.

Does Inspiring Leader pass on the courage for non-tests? Mainly as defense against spirit grasp or whatever it's called. IE, if my orcs are in combat against some ghosts and the dark marshal is nearby is their D 2 or 5?

I would think C2. It seems similar enough to the situation where you are calculating bonus dice for combat. You use the base fight score of the Regiment you are striking to determine your own bonus dice, and they can use their highest fight score to determine theirs, resulting in both sides having bonus dice to fights sometimes.

The higher stats reflect the leader's contribution to the fight not their ability to make others fight better.

jedimasterwiggy
09-04-2009, 15:57
2 quick questions from me.

1. Can you still charge if you use On the Double? Read book and doesn't saY you can't but I have anagging feeling that I've read otherwise somewher else...

2. Witch King - Must be behind n evil unit to pass on shadow of terror rule. oes this mean Rear arc of unit or closer to your table edge?

Cheers for answers and opinions...

Emissary
09-04-2009, 16:12
2 quick questions from me.

1. Can you still charge if you use On the Double? Read book and doesn't saY you can't but I have anagging feeling that I've read otherwise somewher else...

2. Witch King - Must be behind n evil unit to pass on shadow of terror rule. oes this mean Rear arc of unit or closer to your table edge?

Cheers for answers and opinions...

1) No. What you're thing about is the heroic movement that heroes can spend might to do. If a hero spends a might to do it, they can on the double! (for triple movement) and still charge.

2) Somewhere in the rear arc.

Nilhouse
09-04-2009, 17:49
This is probably an obvious one as well, but it has been bugging me.

Two handed weapons and Lances give a +1 to hit on the to hit chart. Does this apply to second rolls against really high defense targets?

For example, if I need a 6/5 to hit an opponent does it be come 5/4, or 5/5? Or since it is no longer harder than a 6, is it just on a 5?

My impression was that it becomes 5/4, as it seems to be the most literal interpertation. Going from 6/5 to a 5 seems like a huge leap in effectiveness but it seems like the most intuitive. 5/5 doesnt seem right at all.

Sarah S
09-04-2009, 17:53
Yeah, that's my understanding, and is consistent with the idea that re-rolls apply to both the first and second part of rolls like that.

It's interesting that with enough bonuses you can go from 6/6 to 2/2.

Emissary
09-04-2009, 18:14
Agreed. I'd just go with the might precident they give in the book. IE if the hit roll is modified, it modifies every hit roll.

Emissary
09-04-2009, 22:37
If a hero spends a might to do it, they can on the double! (for triple movement) and still charge.
I finally got home and checked my rulebook. If you perform a heroic move you can move triple distance on the double, but may not charge.

dax
09-04-2009, 23:00
Not really an FAQ issue but why can't the Angmar army take Trolls as non-ally troops?

I noticed this as well as I'm looking at an Angmar list and they've lost wargs, warg chieftains as well I know they can be taken as misty mountain allies but that takes up your allies alotment.

and spectral wargs have disappeared entirely

albinoork
09-04-2009, 23:02
can theodan join a unit of cavalry? if so, is he mounted? I hope I just missed the section that explains this.

If I can't use his mounted version how on god's green middle-earth will I be able to yell "Death! ---- Death!-----Death!!!"?

take care

Sarah S
09-04-2009, 23:05
Any epic hero can join whatever you want.

Want him mounted? Put him in a cav unit.
Want him on foot? Put him in an infantry unit.

He becomes whatever he joins.

Nilhouse
09-04-2009, 23:29
can theodan join a unit of cavalry? if so, is he mounted? I hope I just missed the section that explains this.

If I can't use his mounted version how on god's green middle-earth will I be able to yell "Death! ---- Death!-----Death!!!"?

take care

If you are playing with the books as canon, you just have Eomer yell it :)

Odin
10-04-2009, 01:30
Posted this in another thread, but worth repeating here.

The use of the word "hit" where other games would generally use "wound" can be very confusing. It seems to have even confused the writers. For example, roll a 3-5 on the artillery table, and "the target suffers D6 hits at the siege engine's strength". But if it uses the game's definition of "hit", you don't need to use the strength value, because a hit is a wound. What I'm pretty sure they mean is that you make D6 rolls "to hit" using the siege engine's strength. Very poorly phrased, in an otherwise rather well-written book.

Emissary
10-04-2009, 01:36
Yeah, hit = wound.

Any epic hero can join whatever you want.

Want him mounted? Put him in a cav unit.
Want him on foot? Put him in an infantry unit.

He becomes whatever he joins.

Yup, it's on page 68 of the rulebook in the "infantry or cavalry?" box

Sarah S
10-04-2009, 01:39
Yeah, hit = wound.

Well not quite. The spells and war machines and all the other instances where it says the unit takes X number of hits at Strength Y are obviously using the terminology wrong.

They couldn't keep it consistent within the game.

Hit should equal wound, but it's obvious that the designers used the term incorrectly a lot of the time, so it kind of jumps out.

stonehorse
10-04-2009, 01:54
Posted this in another thread, but worth repeating here.

The use of the word "hit" where other games would generally use "wound" can be very confusing. It seems to have even confused the writers. For example, roll a 3-5 on the artillery table, and "the target suffers D6 hits at the siege engine's strength". But if it uses the game's definition of "hit", you don't need to use the strength value, because a hit is a wound. What I'm pretty sure they mean is that you make D6 rolls "to hit" using the siege engine's strength. Very poorly phrased, in an otherwise rather well-written book.

As a rule of thumb if it says causes a hit and then gives a Strength, it needs to be rolled. I think the only time a 'hit' causes 1 wound is when it is an automatic, but this still only counts as 1 hit against a models Resistance.

ser_hag
11-04-2009, 03:37
Hope that answers everything and all the answers are in red (I hope).

'You ALWAYS remove men from the Non command compaie first meaing that Saruaman should be the last to die.'

maybe i just missed it, but please point me to a page number that says that.

another thought:

when do you decide where the rebounded hits from kamul are placed? before the dice are rolled? after?

example. kamuls unit takes 10 hits. within 12' are a troll and an infantry unit. say i make 4 saves...do i have to decide before the roll where the hits (if any) will go, or can i wait till after the fact? or can i place 2 hits on the troll (getting a roll on the chart) and put the other 2 on infantry? or should i decide before the roll that its all going on the troll or all on the infantry?

kamul is very close to getting the banstick in our group (following the betrayer, who is beyond ridiculous).

Sarah S
11-04-2009, 03:39
'You ALWAYS remove men from the Non command compaie first meaing that Saruaman should be the last to die.'
That is patently false.
The rules on casualty removal are quite clear, and they make no reference to command companies.

lorelorn
11-04-2009, 04:23
With Khamul it states that each time his formation suffers a hit, you roll a D6. So if, for example, an archer formation causes 4 hits on Khamul's formation you roll a D6 for each hit.

Each hit where you roll a 5+ can be applied to a formation within 12" of your choice. Since you roll separately for each hit, you can apply them seperately. There no requirement to match hits with the resilience of a unit you are applying them to.

And just to echo Sarah S - look again at the rules for removing casualties. There can be circumstances where you can force your opponent to remove casualties from the command company first, and successful players will exploit those.

For example, a formation of orcs, 9 companies strong, will have its command company in the front and centre of the formation. If they deploy 3x3, you can hit them from both flanks and the rear together, the first casualties will be applied to the only unengaged company - the command company.

Take advantage of your opponent's formation errors and you can be removing the command company from a formation still four or five companies strong, which will seriously limit that formation's effectiveness for the rest of the game.

Enfid
11-04-2009, 12:28
What lorelorn said is possible according to the rules on page 49. It's very difficult to pull off such a maneuver, but I found it to be bad foresight when the rule was written (so the unit gets engaged from all sides except from the front and all the command officers and standard bearers just drop dead?)

It works, but I found this to be rules exploitation rather than tactics.

I found even more complications when looking at the Epic Heroes rule accord to their placements in a company. (since we're talking about Saruman here)

On page 68, it says you may never have more epic heroes in a company than 'normal' warriors (i.e. not including captains and standard bearers, etc) Then it says when removing casualties, you may be forced to remove the epic hero if it would leave the company with more epic heroes than normal warriors. With that wording that would mean with the formation in the example: (with the leftmost company destroyed)

cbns-uuuu
uuuu-uuuu (SHELOB)

that means the player will have to remove models from the company not in base contact with the enemy (that means command company first), but if the command company has a captain, banner bearer, and a drummer, and Saruman in it, after removing three normal uruk-hais you're forced to remove Saruman; since by removing one more normal Uruk-hai you will violate the rule that there should be no more epic heroes than normal troops (with the implication that upgrades are not considered 'normal' troops)

That's my interpretation. Those two points above don't make that much sense to me, and the thought of referring to them during a game makes me feel like a rule lawyer.

As per the Mumak fallback thing, a formation that has a Mumak ends its movement on top of them has to fall back out of the way. Fall back states that you have move to the nearest table edge. So I guess that's what it is. I found this a bit silly, and I would rather they can fall back anywhere since this is a special fall back.

As for the Witch King.......
"An Evil formation that has the Witch King somewhere behind it...."

That has got to be the least clear rule I've ever seen in a Games Workshop rulebook. XD I'd say rear arc, but some may interpret it as closer to own's table edge. This one's gonna cause a lot of trouble.

Sarah S
11-04-2009, 15:54
that means the player will have to remove models from the company not in base contact with the enemy (that means command company first), but if the command company has a captain, banner bearer, and a drummer, and Saruman in it, after removing three normal uruk-hais you're forced to remove Saruman; since by removing one more normal Uruk-hai you will violate the rule that there should be no more epic heroes than normal troops (with the implication that upgrades are not considered 'normal' troops)

That's my interpretation. Those two points above don't make that much sense to me, and the thought of referring to them during a game makes me feel like a rule lawyer.

That's almost true. The player is allowed to remove the command models as casualties, he just loses the bonuses for them when he does so. So he could lose 3 regular Uruks, the 3 command models and then he would have to lose Saruman.

Remember, you can measure at any time in this game, so if your opponent is going to get a charge on your formation that will cause your Epic Heroes to die, it's your own damn fault.

As for the Witch King.......
"An Evil formation that has the Witch King somewhere behind it...."
I don't think it's open to interpretation at all...

ser_hag
12-04-2009, 20:32
while not really anything serious, this struck me as pretty funny...

in the paragraph talking about counterspells, it makes reference to gandalf using call winds to get rid of pall of night. something along the lines of 'its easy to imagine gandalf calling a gust of wind yadda yadda'. unfortunately, gandalf doesnt have access to the wilderness lore, so no calling winds for him.

easy to imagine? yes. easy to do in game? not so much :P

fubukii
12-04-2009, 21:07
he does in the wizard council :)

Sarah S
12-04-2009, 21:08
And the White Council.

ser_hag
13-04-2009, 02:32
not really, it comes from other wizards. technically. :D

Sarah S
13-04-2009, 02:34
But if all the other Wizards die leaving only Gandalf?

He knows it.

;)

shadowz
13-04-2009, 17:03
Here's a question to mull over. The white counsel. It has 2 casualties at the start of the turn. you then cast blessing of valar and look you get the 2 dead back. does your casting level auto bump back up or do you stay at the level at the start of the move phase. Good I love loop holes :angel:

Kroot Lord
13-04-2009, 21:31
You get your casting level back. They are removed, but then placed back, ergo giving them their regular casting level again.

krashreed
16-04-2009, 20:10
As per the Mumak fallback thing, a formation that has a Mumak ends its movement on top of them has to fall back out of the way. Fall back states that you have move to the nearest table edge. So I guess that's what it is. I found this a bit silly, and I would rather they can fall back anywhere since this is a special fall back.

I thought I read that if a falling back unit comes into contact with another friendly unit they simply stop an inch away. I'll have to look it up later to confirm with a page number. Unless this is something unique to the Mumak.

Jind_Singh
19-04-2009, 21:36
I'd say that it only applies to the 2nd roll - so a 6/6 becomes a 6/5, etc - the double handed weapons would increase the chances to wound higher defence but it'd have to be done in a fair way - otherwise you'd be hitting a huge mumak on 5/5 which wouldn't make sense!

ser_hag
19-04-2009, 22:59
heres a question:

when a characters ability says 'within 12 inches of the character', does it mean from his company, his formation, or the model specifically?

im leaning towards the actual model, as there are cases where it specifically calls for distance to be measured from the formation (army banner).

any thoughts on that? or a page number that answers my question and puts me to shame? :P

Emissary
19-04-2009, 23:18
I'd also say it was the character. The rules for the Nine are Abroad specifically states that when you cast a spell, you nominate a character from the unit and the range is measured from that model.