PDA

View Full Version : [WOTR] Initial 1000pt Mordor

Nu Fenix
08-04-2009, 16:12
A friend of mine is thinking of getting into WOTR, and over MSN I have discussed with him options for an army, and come up with a basic 1000 point list for him to try out.

He wants to be Mordor because he likes the idea of monsters such as Trolls, as well as the war machines they have access to. Plus, it relates to his horde side with him being a Skaven player.

Mordor 1000 Points

Mordor Orc - 115
4 Companies
+ Shields
+ Banner

Mordor Orc - 115
4 Companies
+ Two-Handed Weapon
+ Banner

Mordor Orc - 60
3 Companies
+ Bows

Morannon Orc - 115
3 Companies
+ Shields
+ Taskmaster
+ Drummer

Troll - 100

Troll - 100

2x Siege Bow - 100

Gothmog - 110

Warg Riders - 50
2 Companies
+ Shield

Warg Riders - 25
1 Company
+ Bows

Total - 990

Gothmog lives with the Morannon Orcs, which is why they don't have a banner. We settled on Gothmog over a Ringwraith for now, as Ringwraiths are very popular already, he wanted a bit of variation in his force, and wanted the aggression that Gothmog could put on the table. When I explained the abilities Gothmog has, including the rules for an Army Banner, he felt he was the right choice.

The units are built around what he can easily get from boxes, which is why the normal Orcs are a split of each weapon option.

The Wargs are divided due to what is in the box, and allows the small Formation of 1 company to act as a harassing force, and either be attacked and save other units, or be ignored and run the risk of it catching up with them later.

Captains and other command are missing from most units, due to cost, in terms of points, and also money - Assuming he did no conversions and couldn't pick up models such as Gothmog on foot alone on Ebay, it would cost him 210 retail. So, I am persuading him to convert up the Banners, and showed him an online retailer who has a nice discount, to make the price more bearable.

What suggestions would you offer, based on the information I have given above, as I've not been putting much effort into looking at Mordor, and haven't seen them in action to give much advice.

Nilhouse
08-04-2009, 16:27
Looks pretty solid. I generally think all basic Orcs should be given two-handed weapons. One lower fight skill won't matter, especially if you decide to include some Shades in your army list. If you ever decide to beef up your list, look to shades.

Gothmog is always welcome in any evil army. He is a beast for his points cost. You don't have any captains in your list. This does keep things cheap, but might points are really important. Yeah, you can buy 3 companies of orcs for one captain, but you need them. You have 3(4?) might right now all in one hero.

Just a general aside, I wouldnt get super caught up in wysiwyg in this game as long as the company is armed correctly throughout the majority of the unit. If a few guys have shields, but most have bows, I've never seen it be a problem, especially if the correct guys are in the front.

Marauder
08-04-2009, 20:49
The units are built around what he can easily get from boxes, which is why the normal Orcs are a split of each weapon option.

The Wargs are divided due to what is in the box, and allows the small Formation of 1 company to act as a harassing force, and either be attacked and save other units, or be ignored and run the risk of it catching up with them later.

Just a general aside, I wouldnt get super caught up in wysiwyg in this game as long as the company is armed correctly throughout the majority of the unit. If a few guys have shields, but most have bows, I've never seen it be a problem, especially if the correct guys are in the front.

The mordor orc formations are way too small. I'd recommend just combining them and not buying any upgrades for them. If you have a mix of weapons its perfectly acceptable to say they have no upgrades. Personally I think buying shields for them is a waste - you'd be better off just having morannon orcs with no shields - same price but better.

The morannon orc company is okay for now, but you'll want to make it bigger eventually.

The warg units are way too small. Again, just combine them and don't worry about it. 1 company of wargs with bows is usless. It has 2 shooting attacks, it won't harass anyone - it will die very very fast (2 hits and its gone).

Has he bought the taskmaster and drummer yet? If not, don't, pick up a ringwraith like Khamul and put him in the big orc unit. With the points you saved on the orcs, one less banner and those two you should be able to afford him.

Jorgen_CAB
08-04-2009, 21:59
My current Mordor force at 1000p look like this... which is quite similar to the one you suggested.

Leader: Gothmog

1st Orc Regiment
6 Orc Companies, Banner, Task Master, Drummer and Captain

2nd Orc Regiment
6 Orc Companies, Banner, Task Master, Drummer and Captain

3rd Orc Regiment
3 Morannon Orc Companies and a Captain

1st Orc Support Battalion
2 Orc Companies with bows and a Shaman

1st Orc Rider Battalion
2 Warg Rider Companies with Shields

2nd Orc Rider Battalion
2 Warg Rider Companies with Bows

1st Troll Detachment
1 Mordor Troll

990 point

This gives me 7 formations, 4 Heroes (1 spell caster) and 1 Epic Hero.

I would not say that it is a very optimal list, but it is both fun and well balanced. A little short on missile fire but you need to charge full speed from turn one.

You could also trade the shaman for an additional troll, but I like shamans so I will use him instead.

I think that this list is similar to yours but slightly stronger in its make up.

Nu Fenix
09-04-2009, 01:22
Thanks for the replies so far folks.

I have linked this to my friend to see what he thinks, and merging the two combat units of Orcs together, leaving the bows as is seems to be a likely action for him. The same applies to the Wargs with them merged into a 3 Company strong Formation.

So far he doesn't own a single model for this, as he wants to work out a solid list first before he buys anything, so he can work out his budget, and not buy something to later regret it or wish he bought something else instead.

Jorhen - Why not turn the Shaman into Kardush? You pay the same price, get Mastery 2, and with Epic Ruination it means you can do some serious damage with Exsiccate and Bolt of Fire, or even Tremor if you would kill more of them then your own troops.

Emissary
09-04-2009, 02:44
I plan on taking something similar for 1,000 points:

Gothmog
The Dark Marshal
Kardush the Firecaller
6 Morannon Orcs with shields
6 Mordor Orcs with Banner and Great Weapons
2 Mordor Orcs with Bows
3 Morannon Orcs
3 Warg Riders
Mordor Troll
Mordor Troll
1,000 points exactly

The 3 Morannon Orcs are the last thing to buy for me as I can use 3 bases of Mordor Orcs with shields until I get the box. Gothmog goes in the large Morannon Orc Group and the Dark Marshal and Kardush joins the large group of orcs.

I took the Dark Marshal because his leader ability is a great counter to the low leadership of orcs in a large swaith of your battleline plus he can increase the number of attacks my units can get. Kardush costs the same as a regular shaman, but lets you take the spells of ruin and can cast twice. Blast away as they come in (especially against ents!) then when hand to hand starts, begin with the harder to cast shatter shields to lower the defense of those tougher units, then follow up with dark fury (on an easy 2). A 6 company strong great weapon unit with a fight value of 5 (-1 for a total of 4) can give you an extra attack per base against most normal troops. Followed up with the 2 ruin spells, you're reducing their defense by 2 on the tougher guys and rerolling a bunch of your failed hit rolls. Plus you still get the 1-3 spells from the Dark Marshal (like giving your great weapon unit a larger charge range, +2 strength, immunity from long range shooting, terror and so on). Overall, you can dramatically buff up a unit with fantastic weapons and they can go toe to toe with a lot.

If you're worried about might, you can always drop a troll and add in 2 orc captains where needed.

Just some suggestions.

rcal13
09-04-2009, 03:03
Unfortantly I don't have my book and lost my list I wrote up, My list was based on what I had and I have lost of cool models not ones I would normaly play with. So far the bolt thowers have earned their point ever game. I don't like two hand weapons in the stb so I cut the weapon and turned them into crew and made four bolt thowers out of plastic card and some plastic tubes, and wire. I like them and you can take three to a formation. They really force your oppent to react to them and they do massive damage to every thing, so far I have drop a 3 compines of the swan knights with two.. .... Yes I was really lucky. But after that most of the bow fire went for 2 turns to take out my two bolts and forgot to dell with my castlens. Who are a favortie but caost so much money that it will be awhile for me to get a second company of them. Also the stalkers work well as a single company. I love warg riders, the moblity in the game is great. I tend to take large formations and a frew of them so I focus on hitting hard and fast or I get over welmed so maybe a few smaller formation could be helpful.

Jorgen_CAB
09-04-2009, 06:46
Thanks for the replies so far folks.
Jorhen - Why not turn the Shaman into Kardush? You pay the same price, get Mastery 2, and with Epic Ruination it means you can do some serious damage with Exsiccate and Bolt of Fire, or even Tremor if you would kill more of them then your own troops.

You are quite right, Kardush is better... it's just strange that they actually cost the same. On another note I think that Epic heroes are a little cheap overall...

Marauder
09-04-2009, 17:24
Well, since we're posting lists...

1000pts

Khamul the Easterling
The Tainted on Fellbeast
8 Mordor Orcs w/Banner and Taskmaster
2 Mordor Uruk-hai w/Captain
2 Mordor Orcs with Bows
1 Mordor Troll
1 Mordor Troll Chieftan

I've had two games with the list and it did quite well (although not quite a fair statement since my opponents didn't know much about magic).

Khamul goes with the huge orc formation and basically just drives them into combat. I use wings of terror to get them in fast and then strength of corruption. Its funny to transfer some of the wounds from that onto you opponent. Strength 5 orcs with such a large formation (mob rule!) can dish out quite a bit of damage. With great weapons it would be really sick - don't have enough of those models yet though. When they hit you back they do lots of damage to you too, since the orcs only have 3 def... but that's all good because then its just more wounds onto them. Its important to keep a point of might on Khamul for duels. If someone calls a duel then you can call epic strike to save yourself.

The Tainted on fellbeast is a very fun formation. Swooping attack is great for positioning yourself to really harass a unit with spells. Because the tainted won't let formations use a heroes courage, he's great for courage debuffing and everything related to terror. I'll go Sunder spirit then Visions of Woe. If I'm charging I'll use Terrifying Aura (to further increase the penalty on the terror check). The charge is pretty devastating. 4 attacks base, plus 6 for flying cav and then possibly a lot more from Fv if they fail their terror check. On top of that you attack their totally debuffed courage instead of def. I killed 12 gondor archers in a charge in one of my games. Ouch! If I've had to get there via swooping attack I might do one of transfix, strength from corruption or Pall of night on them. Strength from corruption is great on artillery.

The other units I have are okay. Nothing too exciting. I'm planning on getting another troll at 1500 and trying to do an awesome heroic charge with all of them. The Uruk-hai will be decent once I outfit them all with great weapons, but right now they are a bit boring. I'll probably just replace them with Morannon orcs in the short term (it would be nice to have one formation with decent defense!).

Overall I think ringwraiths are amazing. The only downside is the 1 Might. They are great spellcasters and all have a special ability for only 125pts.

Emissary
09-04-2009, 17:38
Overall I think ringwraiths are amazing. The only downside is the 1 Might. They are great spellcasters and all have a special ability for only 125pts.

Agreed on all counts. They're much better then shamans. up to 2 extra spells per turn, extra spell list and a specific ability is easily worth the 25 points. Kardush is worth his points, but I don't think that the Mouth of Sauron is over a ringwraith.

Reinholt
09-04-2009, 17:40
Quick thoughts regarding Orcs:

Do not take them without a captain, unless they are archers. 6" moves means they are relatively slow, and if you cannot at the double with them, they are going to get left behind and outmaneuvered in a lot of engagements. I'm 50-50 on how good the banner is for the hordes of cheap orcs (that's two more companies!), and you definitely want any of the melee units of orcs to be large. I currently field a 6 company unit in my Angmar army, and that does well.

But, captains, man. Captains.

Marauder
09-04-2009, 18:01
But, captains, man. Captains.

Or an epic hero - such as a wraith ;) He's got a much higher courage than an orc captain too (to help with passing the courage test needed).

Banners are hard to say. Failing the charge isn't a lot of fun. But I agree on big companies - that's a must first. The Taskmaster is very handy too - orcs really do need a boost in courage.

Emissary
09-04-2009, 18:12
Banners are hard to say. Failing the charge isn't a lot of fun. But I agree on big companies - that's a must first. The Taskmaster is very handy too - orcs really do need a boost in courage.

Hence why I like the Dark Marshal. giving that courage of 5 12" in every direction is great. Even if you get an epic challenge/duel you stand a good chance at passing the LD test with the -2.