PDA

View Full Version : Flank/Rear on Monsters?

08-04-2009, 18:57
Okay, maybe it's hidden in plain sight, but I can't find it.

Do round/oval base units have a flank or a rear?

Imagine there's a troll fighting a 3 company formation of Gondor warriors to the front.

I understand that only one company gets it's full number of attacks and the rest are in support.

However, imagine that another Gondor unit charges in from another angle.

Does the monster suffer -3 dice in combat (flank) or -5 (rear) or is there no penalty?

I sure hope it's not the latter as that would be my first disappointment with this rules set.

Nilhouse
08-04-2009, 19:05
Monster's dont have flanks or a rear side. They don't have any sides. In fact, they have 360 vision and can charge in any direction.

It makes sense if you view the -3/5 dice as disorder and inability to issue commands to formations of troops, whereas a monster has to only coordinate itself. Given that monsters don't normally take courage tests from combat either, it makes sense.

08-04-2009, 19:49
So the only benefit would be getting another company's worth of attacks in.

I haven't tried this but does the geometry of the bases allow 3 companies to still touch a round monster base if they're arranged in a triangle around the monster's base? Or would their length prevent all of them from reaching the monster. i.e. you could never get more than two full companies in against a monster.

Jammybee
08-04-2009, 20:32
Monster related question: What size base should a Dwarven Kings champion be on? I can only find that they have to be on round bases so will a small one do or should i make him a big fancy base?

Marauder
08-04-2009, 20:39
So the only benefit would be getting another company's worth of attacks in.

I haven't tried this but does the geometry of the bases allow 3 companies to still touch a round monster base if they're arranged in a triangle around the monster's base? Or would their length prevent all of them from reaching the monster. i.e. you could never get more than two full companies in against a monster.

I don't think you can ever have more than one company on a monster, so I don't think you can charge it with a second formation if its already in combat.

Nilhouse
08-04-2009, 20:50
I believe the book says no more than one company from a formation may engage a monster. I think multiple formations may engage a monster as long as they can touch bases.

Depending on the formation size, and the monster's base size, I could easily see 4 formations attacking a Dragon or Mamuk.

Marauder
08-04-2009, 20:55
I believe the book says no more than one company from a formation may engage a monster. I think multiple formations may engage a monster as long as they can touch bases.

Depending on the formation size, and the monster's base size, I could easily see 4 formations attacking a Dragon or Mamuk.

I don't have my book with me, but I'll check that out tonight. Seems reasonable.

Rirekon
08-04-2009, 21:45
Checked the book and can't find anything which says a Monster can't be charged by multiple Formations...

08-04-2009, 22:30
Checked the book and can't find anything which says a Monster can't be charged by multiple Formations...

Right, but how many can fit? Could you conceivably just make contact at one end of the front face of the first company (let's call this point "12 o'clock" on the monster's base) allowing 3 more companies to do the same at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock?

I know, hard to imagine you'd have units actually situated to charge in such a fashion, but I'm testing what's reasonable.

Put differently, if I charge a troll with a 3 company formation (formation A), I could put the spearhead touching towards the right hand end of the front of its movement tray with the second company hanging off the left of it and the third company behind the second.

Then, assume I have another 3 company formation out on the right flank of "Formation A". Its spearhead charges in and could line up in a similar fashion with the right half of its frontage on the Troll and the left half of its frontage actually overlapping the short flank of Formation A's company already in contact with the troll.

Assuming full strength, the first formation would get 8 + 1 + 1 base dice +1 for each company charging. The second formation would get the same at no penalty to the Troll for flank/rear.

Essentially, I'm trying to figure out how to reasonably dog-pile monsters with massed troops.

Rirekon
08-04-2009, 22:45
It will depend on the Monster, but Trolls have a 60mm round base so you won't get more than 2 Infantry Companies into contact with it, I don't think you'll manage more than 2 Cavalry either.

Captain Shrike
09-04-2009, 08:28
If you have 4 formations waiting to charge one monster, something's going wrong.

Axis
09-04-2009, 09:01
You'll definitely be able to get at least 3 companies in base to base with a mumak!!