PDA

View Full Version : Need help on finishing Lizardmen List

SiNNiX
08-04-2009, 18:36
Here's a 2,250pt army I'm building and I have 350pts left to spend and I'm not sure what to spend it on. Any help? I'm thinking either Tetto'eko in a unit of skinks, a Stegadon with another unit of terradons or perhaps another unit of Warriors with some razordon packs or maybe a unit of cold one cavalry with a few more terradons lol. IDK!!! HELP!

P.S.: Spirit, I definately stole your idea for the Slann and Skink Priest because, well... it's a really good idea and imo the best way to go lol. SORRY! I seem to be pretty unoriginal with Lizardmen I guess. :(

1 Slann Mage Priest - 275
-Four Disciplines - 150
-Power Stone x4 - 20 each / 80
-Bane Head - 15
-Battle Standard - 25
Total: 545

1 Skink Priest - 65
-Level 2 Wizard - 35
-Rod of the Storm - 25
-Dispel Scroll - 25
-Ancient Stegadon with Engine of the Gods - 290
Total: 440

10x Skink Skirmishers - 70

15x Saurus Warriors - 165
-Spears - 1/model
-Musician - 6, Standard Bearer - 12
Total: 198

3x Terradons - 90

20x Temple Guard - 320
-Musician - 7, Standard Bearer - 14
-Plaque of Dominion - 50
Total: 391

8x Chameleon Skinks - 96

Total: 1900
Remaining: 350

2 Hero Choices remaining, 1 Special Choice remaining, 2 Rare Choices remaining

Any tips? I know alot of you will advise against the TG and chameleon skinks, but I like the TG and I like using the chameleons as march blockers; taking a water terrain piece and hiding them in there in the beginning is great imo.

N810
08-04-2009, 19:02
how about a scar vet for your spear saurus,
perhaps with the hornet sword ?
and what ever other you can fit on him.

cairodude12
08-04-2009, 20:25
Tetto Eko's allways good. Irresistable force on any successfull spell with doubles is allways usefull. Try taking a Scar-vet BSB with sword of the Hornet, add some extra Saurus and make each rank six wide with spears. This will give you a unit that can soak up almost any charge.

Shamfrit
08-04-2009, 20:44
My personal belief is that Slann should not cost such a stupid amount. Not only does it lead to a generally smaller army, but it belies the effectiveness of an otherwise excellent Lord slot.

I assume you'll be taking Cogitation, Rumination, MR3 and the all spells discipline, but in all honestly, with the magic defence you've already afforded yourself you'll not need at least 2 of them; I've yet to use more than Cogitation/Rumination, and use Plaque of Tepok to give 5 spells of one lore at about 380 points and he does perfectly fine. The all spell Lore is only 35 points more than the Plaque and will free up an item slot granted, but it's something to consider. I'd drop a discipline and stone, giving you an additional 70 points left, for 420 total.

The Skink Priest is absolutely fine, but remember, Rod of the Storm is one use only, that ruins it for me personally. I'd take Diadem here due to the cheapening of the Slann. No points gained/lost.

I don't believe two units of Skirmishers is enough, but I know that alot of players will be annoyed with 3+, so, I can strongly recommend improving your Core base by adding a unit of 10 Cohorts, with Brave/Musician, to act as a redirector, add another cheap shot to your army, and improve your deployment options. 70 points on a Cohort sounds about right.

15x Saurus Warriors - 165
-Spears - 1/model
Total: 198

I usually run two units of 2, 6 wide, with musician and standard. It's a personal thing, but it works much better. Use your points reserve to purchase another unit exactly the same, giving you 150 points spare. Drop unit size to 12 each and you free up 90 points, for 240 spare.

3x Terradons - 90

Fine, although I've started to run 4.

20x Temple Guard - 320
-Plaque of Dominion - 50

This unit is mind numbingly big. Disgustingly too big in fact. Even at 15 models it comes up to the same size as 19 (US18) with the Slann in the unit. You're not panicking, virtually never breaking, the only reason you'd ever take such a stupidly big unit is is you were drastically afraid of ranged attacks. Magic will be reduced dramatically due to your magic set-up, and they're T4 with 3+ saves vs shooting otherwise. If it is the case, then dropping the not always useful and doesn't work vs LD9+ banner (which requires direct LOS to the ACTUAL Banner bearer) and replacing it with the Sun Standard of Huanchi will give you your shooting protection. That's ten points saved, and you must have a champion - which balances. Drop the unit to 15 as a recomendation, that's 60 or so points spare, for a total of 300.

8x Chameleon Skinks - 96

I think the unit is too big, 5, or 6 when one's a Stalker is the optimum running size. They don't need to be bigger as you're still taking panic on 2 deaths and they won't last combat and they need to remain a small unit to seak around and get into small crevices to do the march blocking and harassing.

Total points spare if you were to make these adjustments, 330.

I'd add a Scar Veteran, with about 150 points allowance, and then either another unit of Terradons, at 90, or a small unit of Cold One Cavalry (175 for 5, bargain). 180 points could also buy you 2 Hunting Packs, and a 50 or so points gap to expand other units (terradons to 4?)

Hope some of this helps :)

Spirit
08-04-2009, 21:00
I'd lose one discipline on the slann, as he's gonna be in the unit there will be one that you don't need. I don't agree with making him massively cheaper, you have a huge points denial unit here, if the enemy doesn't try to kill it, they wont win the game, if they do try to kill it, it should be relatively easy to stop them (assuming you spend your free points on some more fast, hard hitting units)

The saurus seem too small and the temple guard too big. Reverse their unit sizes and you'll be onto something.

With the spare points, go for some kroxigor or a stegadon.

If not those, then some salamanders.

I'd also agree that a third unit of skirmishers is a good idea, but go with some javelins, these guys are way better at shooting hard to hit units like skirmishers/single characters and units in cover.

I would run chameleons, but don't have any models for them at the moment. I think 8 of them will do good for killing flankers, 5-6 doesn't really get enough poison in there imo. Also 8 of them can take 4 casualties before they can no longer instagib a fleeing unit, always good in my opinion.

If you do go for another character, i would suggest a skink. Put him on a terradon, give him either poisoned attacks or the piranha blade, hide him in the terradons till your turn 2, then charge him out and maul a mage. That should keep any magic worries at bay. And he gets drop rocks just like the other terradons, always useful.

Edit: Dont take the diadem, keep the bound "kill 2 knights on average" spell. between your slanns extra dice and your power stones, youl easily get a good chance to use it, and if they only have one dispell dice left, use it anyway, its power level 6!

The diadem IMO is a waste, why lose 2 power dice when you want to dominate the magic phase?

Spirit
08-04-2009, 21:03
Tetto Eko's allways good. Irresistable force on any successfull spell with doubles is allways usefull. Try taking a Scar-vet BSB with sword of the Hornet, add some extra Saurus and make each rank six wide with spears. This will give you a unit that can soak up almost any charge.

Tetto's ability only works on heavens magic, good, but not that good when your slann doesnt take heavens.

He already has a bsb, its on the slann.

But i do agree with the saurus.

SiNNiX
08-04-2009, 21:52
Tetto's ability only works on heavens magic, good, but not that good when your slann doesnt take heavens.

He already has a bsb, its on the slann.

But i do agree with the saurus.

But don't you think giving the other skink priest and tetto'eko the ability is worth it? And don't you think redeploying D3 units is definately worth it?

Working on rebuilding the army. We'll see how it turns out.

Spirit
08-04-2009, 21:57
But don't you think giving the other skink priest and tetto'eko the ability is worth it? And don't you think redeploying D3 units is definately worth it?

Working on rebuilding the army. We'll see how it turns out.

Oh the d3 untis is most definately worth it. And i suppose having 7 power dice on heaven magic for a turn after the slann has made them use all their dice would be pretty funny lol.

I would say try it and see what happens. I've never been a fan of special charcters so i dont really know how well he will do lol.

SiNNiX
08-04-2009, 22:52
Here's the new list. I have added 8 Chameleon Skinks (but changed the unit sizes), a unit of 15 Saurus Warriors, added 5 Saurus Warriors to the unit of 15 that was already there, added a Brave to the Terradons (because I had 10pts left over - DON'T PATRONIZE ME!), and added a Terradon. I removed a discipline from the Slann because as you said, he's already in a unit so he doesn't REALLY need Regeneration as much as I thought he did. So here's the new list:

-Three Disciplines - 100
-Power Stone x4 - 20 each / 80
-Bane Head - 15
-Battle Standard - 25
Total: 495

1 Skink Priest - 65
-Level 2 Wizard - 35
-Rod of the Storm - 25
-Dispel Scroll - 25

1 Tetto'eko - 255

20x Saurus Warriors - 220
-Spears - 1/model
Total: 258

20x Skinks - 100

13x Skink Skirmishers - 91

3x Terradons - 90

20x Temple Guard - 320
-Plaque of Dominion - 50

5x Chameleon Skinks - 60

I know none of you like the 20 TG idea but they go with the Slann and provide him 360 degree protection which to me is very important. I also still want to work Tetto'eko and a unit of skinks for protection but I don't know what and where to remove to afford him. I think he would work very great with the army; not only the D3 redeploys but the casting bonus with him and the other priest.

Spirit
08-04-2009, 23:22
Well if you wanna go for it, go for it! It looks like a fairly solid list now lol.

I dont see much point in the brave and stalker in the terradons/chameleons. Why not lose them and get another chameleon?

SiNNiX
08-04-2009, 23:38
Well if you wanna go for it, go for it! It looks like a fairly solid list now lol.

I dont see much point in the brave and stalker in the terradons/chameleons. Why not lose them and get another chameleon?

Because that's 16pts and a chameleon is 12 and I HATE not being exact. It's more of a stubborn thing. By the way, you didn't answer the question! If you had to remove 355pts, what would you get rid of?

Spirit
08-04-2009, 23:46
Hmm, 5 temple guard (sorry lol), the small unit of saurus, one of the chameleon units and a terradon. That must come close to the points.

Why 355 points?

SiNNiX
09-04-2009, 00:00
Hmm, 5 temple guard (sorry lol), the small unit of saurus, one of the chameleon units and a terradon. That must come close to the points.

Why 355 points?

'Cause I want Tetto'eko in a unit of 20 skinks (without command upgrades) for a little shooting protection.

Updated the list! What do you think? The chameleons will strictly be for scouts/march-blocking and hiding inside a water feature.

SiNNiX
09-04-2009, 00:19
Newest and final list.

-Three Disciplines - 100
-Cupped Hand of the Old Ones - 45
-Power Stone x2 - 20 each / 40
-Bane Head - 15
-Battle Standard - 25
-War Banner - 25
Total: 520

1 Skink Priest - 65
-Level 2 Wizard - 35
-Rod of the Storm - 25
-Dispel Scroll - 25

1 Tetto'eko - 255

20x Saurus Warriors - 220
-Spears - 1/model
Total: 258

15x Skinks - 75

13x Skink Skirmishers - 91

3x Terradons - 90

20x Temple Guard - 320
-Plaque of Dominion - 50

5x Chameleon Skinks - 60

Slann produces 5 PD and has all six spells from any lore he chooses. If I want, and can have him only use 1 of his generated dice to cast each spell and still have 4 dice to use (+1 free PD for generation and +2 free PD from stones) and then he'll finally have his fifth dice left over and will add a free dice to that as well. THEN you have Tetto'eko who produces 3PD to use lore of heavens and my skink priest who can use 4PD to cast a spell and they both use lore of heavens and cast spells from the lore with irresistable force on any roll of a double! I have 7DD with a scroll in case I need it. I'll put the EOTG in the middle so I can give my Slann, Tetto'eko's unit and my saurus warriors 5+ ward saves against shooting (plus anything else I can fit within 12" of the EOTG).