PDA

View Full Version : Adepticon 2009 Fantasy Championships?

CaliforniaGamer
08-04-2009, 20:02
I didnt have a chance to get all the results from Adepticon on this weekend.

I do know:
1. DoC
2. DoC
3. Dwarves
4. Lizardmen
all went 4-0 and overall champion was decided by paint+comp.

Anyone know what #'s 5-10 were? Or perhaps the top 20 armies by battle points?

Malorian
08-04-2009, 21:21
This is a fairly poor battle report ;)

CaliforniaGamer
09-04-2009, 02:52
This is a fairly poor battle report ;)

I can give you my marathon weekend story, which isnt great.

Day 1: Devastation tournament, which I will never do again. Basically you start with 3000 points and carry over with whatever you have remaining after the game to each successive game.

I ran the following:
Vampire Lord (2#, 715 Pts)
1 Vampire Lord @ 715 Pts
Vampire; Level 3 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; Undead
1 Zombie Dragon @ [275] Pts
Causes Terror; Flyer; Large Target; Scaly Skin
1 The Balefire Spike @ [10] Pts
1 The Flayed Hauberk @ [25] Pts
1 Wristbands of Black Gold @ [30] Pts
1 The Cursed Book @ [20] Pts
1 Infinite Hatred @ [25] Pts
1 Red Fury @ [50] Pts
1 Beguile @ [25] Pts

Vampire Lord (1#, 470 Pts)
1 Vampire Lord @ 470 Pts
General; Vampire; Level 3 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; Undead
1 Nightmare @ [0] Pts
1 Dreadlance @ [60] Pts
1 Crown of the Damned @ [35] Pts
1 Master of the Black Arts @ [50] Pts
1 Red Fury @ [50] Pts

Vampire (1#, 208 Pts)
1 Vampire @ 208 Pts
Vampire; Hand Weapon; Undead
1 Nightmare @ [0] Pts
1 Sword of Might @ [15] Pts
1 Book of Arkhan @ [35] Pts
1 Dark Acolyte @ [30] Pts
1 Avatar of Death (Shield) @ [20] Pts

Vampire (1#, 208 Pts)
1 Vampire @ 208 Pts
1 Nightmare @ [0] Pts
1 Dispel Scroll @ [25] Pts

Lord of the Barrows (1#, 252 Pts)
1 Wight King (Battle Standard Bearer) @ 252 Pts
Hand Weapon; Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield; Battle Standard Bearer; Undead
1 Skeletal Steed @ [0] Pts
1 The Drakenhof Banner @ [125] Pts

Black Knights (10#, 274 Pts)
10 Black Knights @ 274 Pts
Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield; Undead
1 Banner of Hellfire @ [10] Pts
10 Skeletal Steed @ [0] Pts

Cairn Wraith (5#, 275 Pts)
4 Cairn Wraiths @ 275 Pts
Great Weapon; Causes Terror; Ethereal; Skirmishers; Undead
1 Tomb Banshee @ [75] Pts
Causes Terror; Ethereal; Undead

Zombie Horde (20#, 80 Pts)
20 Zombie Horde @ 80 Pts
Hand Weapon; Undead

Zombie Horde (20#, 84 Pts)
20 Zombie Horde @ 84 Pts
Musician Mus; Hand Weapon; Undead

Black Coach (1#, 200 Pts)
1 Black Coach @ 200 Pts
Causes Terror; Chariot; Large Target
1 Cairn Wraith @ [0] Pts
Great Weapon
2 Nightmare @ [0] Pts

Crypt Ghouls (15#, 120 Pts)
15 Crypt Ghouls @ 120 Pts
Causes Fear; Poisoned Attacks; Undead

Crypt Ghouls (14#, 112 Pts)
14 Crypt Ghouls @ 112 Pts

My goal was to bring the absolute least number of models on the plane because my stuff was well painted and I feared the wrath of Homeland Security/TSA. My fears would be fully realized on the way home...

With my list above, it was really my day to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and vigorously snatch I did.

The Devastation event had few Daemon armies, some other more fluffy VC one, a few very tough LM and Dwarf lists and host of random lists I was very suprised to see. Basically Adepticon was nothing like I expected (no rock hard daemon lists, VC doggie deathstars, no ugly DE/HE ones either...)

Quickly summarizing Devastation day: I played a classic Empire gunline game 1 with Stank+Popemobile. I charged my turn 1 with the BK super unit (10 Black Knights+all characters) and the Lord on Zom. Zom Lord eats a empire outrider unit and a unit of knights on the overrun, no suprises. The BK unit fails charge on a 2nd outrider unit as it flees, basically setting up disaster no1 of the long weekend for me: I had misjudged the distance to his Stank and it was able to counter charge on his turn essentially tying up my huge cav unit for the remainder of the game.

A recurring theme would also be set for me: Black coach goes down like a cheap hooker on turn 1 to a cannon..I lost count how many times this happened over the 24 hours of gaming...

My ethereal unit basically mopped up a large number of his units and nearly all his artillery by itself with the judicious use of Danse/Book. Another recurring theme would show itself: the most effective unit of my list is the ethereal hammer, I would begin daydreaming about creating a unit of 7-8 wraiths with an ethereal vampire BSB if I ever did take VC to another tournament.

The real coupe de boondoggle for me was a overrun charge with my Zom Lord that did only 2 total wounds to his Stank and the next turn impact hits churned all on my lord killing him, luckily this was not my general. Another recurrent theme was unveiled to me: I was in such mortal fear of being called on my sportsmanship I never once pointed out my opponent's errors that in this game including failing to make panic tests for about 4 adjacent units when I destroyed units with my zom lord.

Game 1, victory but I had lost a very valuable lord, most of my infantry.

My army was very small, far too small to be very effective in the following games.

Game 2 was against a veteran DE player from the same gaming group as the guy I beat in game 1. He had the lord on dragon with pendant blah blah. I didnt have much to deal with it. The game really hinged on a zombie unit surviving (it was 30 strong) and me counter charging the following round vs. a chariot (which would have been autokilled by my dreadlance lord) and his hydra (which had no wounds inflicted on it from the first game). I figured the zombies could hold, they didnt and chariot+hydra overrun in the flank of my deathstar unit. DE lord on black dragon flying behind when I fail to win combat the next round to seal the deal on my butt.

Loss, game 2.

Game 3 was the real travesty for me. For starters almost everyone I met at the tournament was great, incredibly nice, class A sportsmanship all around. Of course we all tired and cranky by the end of the day. Game 3 was a 1000 pt game (variant list with components from above) vs. a WoC list co-played by a father and son. I really didnt care who won BUT the way I lost sucked major balls.

Basically game 3 began late, after we got beers and started we had roughly 30 min to finish the game. By turn 2 we had both magic missiled some crap down. My turn 3 would have seen my main cav unit destroy his chosen+hero+caster hero. During my turn 3 CC phase (after I had destroyed a good number of his primary unit), the game was called. Now I have never experience this but my opponent argued since he was unable to finish out his turn 3, my turn 3 was rolled back...WTF, I damn near swallowed my beer bottle. When the points were tallied my opponent declared he won by 7 points...there was no draw option in Devastation. I couldve argued this, been an ******* but the guy was nice and his son was there. I let it go.

Loss, game 3.

Devastation was a disaster but unfortunately lessons would not be learned for day 2...

Dungeon_Lawyer
09-04-2009, 03:40
what happened with your models and HS/TSA?

CaliforniaGamer
09-04-2009, 03:47
Day 2 or the Trail of Tears.

Day 2 I played:
Vampire Lord (1#, 470 Pts)
1 Vampire Lord @ 470 Pts
1 Nightmare @ [0] Pts
1 Dreadlance @ [60] Pts
1 Crown of the Damned @ [35] Pts
1 Red Fury @ [50] Pts

Vampire (1#, 208 Pts)
1 Vampire @ 208 Pts
1 Nightmare @ [0] Pts
1 Sword of Might @ [15] Pts

Vampire (1#, 188 Pts)
1 Vampire @ 188 Pts
1 Nightmare @ [0] Pts
Summon ghouls

Lord of the Barrows (1#, 252 Pts)
1 Wight King (Battle Standard Bearer) @ 252 Pts
Hand Weapon; Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield; Battle Standard Bearer; Undead
1 Skeletal Steed @ [0] Pts

Black Knights (10#, 274 Pts)
10 Black Knights @ 274 Pts
Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield; Undead
1 Banner of Hellfire @ [10] Pts
10 Skeletal Steed @ [0] Pts

Cairn Wraith (5#, 275 Pts)
4 Cairn Wraiths @ 275 Pts

20 Zombie Horde @ 80 Pts
Hand Weapon; Undead

20 Zombie Horde @ 80 Pts
Hand Weapon; Undead

Black Coach (1#, 200 Pts)
1 Black Coach @ 200 Pts
Causes Terror; Chariot; Large Target
1 Cairn Wraith @ [0] Pts
Great Weapon
2 Nightmare @ [0] Pts

Crypt Ghouls (13#)
13 Crypt Ghouls

Squad (1#, 100 Pts)
1 Corpse Cart @ 100 Pts, Loadstone

Game 1 was against Empire..yet again. This is a good time to chime in on what I saw at Adepticon: lots of Empire and dwarf gun lines, lizardmen heavy caster lists and tons of every possible WoC configuration. I think there was 1 total Skaven list in attendance.

This guy had a Popemobile+usual config of met armor+speculum. Some guns, some infantry and knights+fast cav and interestingly enough a unit of DOW ogre leadbelchers.

Game 1 would repeat my nemesis from game 3 the day before...slow play. I realize my list was hard and non-fluffy, I accept that but dealing with it by basically creating a draw from simply waiting out the clock sucks. At least be sneaky when you are slow playing me, dont look back at the clock 100+times, stare for 30+ minutes at your units doing nothing etc. This was almost a "Quit Warhammer" moment for me. Over the 2+ hours we had to play, I think we had barely 2 rounds of actual CC before it was called and I got a draw. Of course my black coach would go down to the cannons. My wraiths, bless their evil hearts, got a majority of my kill points.

Game 1, Draw.

I was fine with a draw in game 1 because I got alot of the battlefield objectives and it put me in an easier bracket for game 2.

Game 2 was against super nice TK player. He single handedly restored my faith in playing Warhammer again after game 1 and the day before. Thanks wherever you are in the Midwest, Mr. TK player.

Basically he had the classic HP, TP in a chariot unit+2 tomb scorps+unit of tomb guard with reform banner+heirophant with cloak+LP on casket of souls+SCC with head of the foes+some skele archers. The fault of his list lies in the general weak non-hitty nature of the TK army book. They desperately need a rewrite IMO. I moved my deathstar (or at this point my limpy rodstar) up the center. He countered with a charge from a tomb scorp capable of killing blow on my lord. We both agreed it was risky but he had to do it since I had him boxed between my wraith (once again superstarrrss) and infantry crap I had bunched up to take the general's LD10 for the casket, should I let it go off (which I did everytime). His TP chariot unit reformed on my flank and so began the great dispel attempt to stop his flank charge. I stopped the TP incantation+2 from HP+canoptic jar etc, it was crazy. It came down to stopping a 3 power level incantation of urgency with my last DD and I failed..of course.

Flank charge goes off and I begin writing my obituary and looking for a fresh beer (I was already in for 5 beers by lunch on day 2)...he does a total of 4 wounds the entire combat including his impact hits. I reply with 4 of my own wounds, he has flank, I have BSB, we both have banners, music, I have numbers, win by 1. Now, this is where he screwed up. He had a flaming chariot on his list after I read it when the game was over but never declared it during his charge to negate my regen banner. That would have led to a victory for him by 1-2 and I would have reminded him had I known but I didnt at the time. Next turn I pretty much route his chariot unit, kill his TP and the remainder die to CR. The game is over at this point due to his heirophant being cornered. His TG try to set up charge on my ethereal but by that time he has lost of ton of points. Banshee scream on a LP and kills him outright.

Game 2, won.

Game 3...game 3 was the game you never forget, etched in your psyche like the first time Murphy's Law took a total crap right on your head, reminding you when you are the most overconfident Warhammer will shower you with humility.

Game 3 was against a soft Bret list. He was a nice guy. When I placed my wraiths, he outright said he had only 1 single model with magical attacks. I began apologizing for even bringing them. We both thought the game was a forgone conclusion, wraiths up the middle killing everything in their path and avoiding his lord unit. He had NO grail knights. 2 stone throwers, archers, lots of knights errant/realm, pegasi unit.

I moved my units up the middle and prepared for the slaughter. My cav unit was unbelievably more hitty than the Brets could ever imagine. Heck my lord alone could have likely routed his entire army...

Fate....he moved up, barely caring, both of us wondering what to do for dinner later. I was half in haze of Amstel light with copious amounts of Bud thrown in...during his shooting phase his stone thrower direct hits my cav unit. Vampire lord rolls 1 for look out sir, fails. No problem, rolls 3 for his 4+WS...beads of sweat form on my forehead. Small amount of gastric bile+Amstel light creeps up my throat. Rolls 3 again for regen. I pratically pee on the gaming floor right there. He rolls 3 for wounds. Vampire lord dead. It doesnt even register for like 15min, like a bad dream.

Over the next 2 turns, the entire wraith unit crumbles....The cav unit routes his general, fails to catch it on a measely 7" pursue for 3D6 and its all downhilll from there. All the infantry crumbles, ambassador is killed. General shenanigans.

Game 3, loss.

Game 4 was against THE most beautiful army I played that weekend. BoC list, incredible show board. The works. He was a masterful player as well.
His list was the classic BoC Tzeentch one I had often played with my own BoC: 2 herds with characters, level 4 wizar+bsb, 2 chariots marked Tz, giant, bestigor unit, dragon ogres with GWs.

At this point I was actually feeling quite ill. Beer, a greasy lunch, cold coming on, bird flu??...hell if I knew but I didnt want to be standing another 10min longer than I had to.

...my no1 priority was not puking on either my own or my opponent's beautiful army.

Of course turn 1 I move my coach up, he would intercept it on his turn 2 with his Str7 dragon ogres and per the usual course it dies spectacularily. The wraiths reek revenge and kill his dragon ogres soon after.

This is where things get crazy messy. Im basically out of it, forget to roll stupidity for my lord on turn 2 and 3 (LD10, 3 in 36 chance of failure), forget to roll D6 for the book of Arkhan on turn 3...dumb, will come back to this later.

He baits like no other, trying to lure my limp rodstar out of the gates so he can have a chance at a flank charge. He sneaks a herd down one of my flanks or at that point I simply didnt have my peripheral vision to see it...

His casting does nothing, literally except for some buffs. The BoC spell list is pretty sad. I actually charge my corpse cart into this flank herd to give me some time and I do a fairly decent job of holding him up for 2 turns (along with a zom unit I threw over there). I reform and danse my cav unit into his herd (2 characters with the bsb) and basically it ends up fleeing off the field. He has 1 chance to break through my infantry line and flank charge my general but is unable to it. While he is bogged down I sweep around and danse into his main battle line to seal the game.

At this point a spectator points out I failed to roll that final turn (turn 6, the game went the distance) for the D6 on the Book of Arkhan. At that point we both realize I failed to roll the turn before as well AND forgot to roll for stupidity twice. Craptastic end to the day. I apologize and buy my opponent a beer.

CaliforniaGamer
09-04-2009, 03:54
Flight home...saga continues

Although I intended to carry most of my stuff as carry on for the flight, I couldnt bring all of it. Couldnt carry on my show board and I bought a bunch of crap at the tournament as well. I will never do that again, I swear to baby Jesus.

So....on the flight home I got a big box to put it all in, padded it real well, taped it up and went to O'Hare.

Box is marked as oversized and is taken to the big machine off to the side of the AA check in area. I didnt even see them do it, my wife caught it. While Im standing in line I actually see parts of my army flying in the air as the TSA/Homeland sec people are tossing it around to each other. Horror...horror.

I can only thank a lone police officer who let me out of the line to walk over to the TSA station and ask them not to break everything...save at least something for me...I almost broke at that point, my wife grabbed me as I tried to leap over the railing into the secure area to stop the brutal rape of my army and show board. The head guy took some pity on me and grabbed the remainder of the stuff from the other personnel and tried to delicately pack back up the now brutalized components. I will be repairing this tonight after I finish this post.

pcgamer72
09-04-2009, 04:05
Hey CaliforniaGamer. Those were actually two of my friends you played in the first rounds of the Escalation tournament (I was the Wood Elf player). I believe you referred to it as the "Louisiana Curse!" lol. David, the Empire player, was so proud that he killed a vampire. I hope you had fun playing them.

As far as that airport incident is concerned... wow, that is HORRIBLE. I suppose that's what you can expect from airport personnel though.

CaliforniaGamer
09-04-2009, 04:09
Hey CaliforniaGamer. Those were actually two of my friends you played in the first rounds of the Escalation tournament. I believe you referred to it as the "Louisiana Curse!" lol. David, the Empire player, was so proud that he killed a vampire. I hope you had fun playing them.

As far as that airport incident is concerned... wow, that is HORRIBLE. I suppose that's what you can expect from airport personnel though.

Yeah all the guys from Louisiana were awesome. The cryptic thing about the airport was that one of the guys I was hanging with actually told an incredible tale of how he insured his army for tens of thousands of bucks with the airlines and had it completely destroyed by TSA at a prior tournament.

When he went to collect on the insurance policy, the airlines told them they were not responsible for any damage done by the US government and Homeland Security.

selone
09-04-2009, 13:09
Hey thanks for the reports and really sorry about the TSA (whoever they are) breaking your stuff. Never good.

Dungeon_Lawyer
10-04-2009, 03:51
great reports---losing to that bret list well-LOL! Thats why you gotta love WH!!!

slingersam
10-04-2009, 09:37
I feel sorry for you wow that would really
disappoint me. Other wise I like these types
of battle reports just because it is short and
sweat and gets straight to the point. Obviously
you high light the important parts like what
happened between you and the bret, and
leave all the non important junk on the side.

rtunian
10-04-2009, 13:11
i always imagine government workers aren't much smarter than orcs.

gov1- 'ey boss, wots dees fings ere?
gov2- oy, i dunno git, toss it ova 'ere
*gov1 throws handful of minis across the way*
idiot2- ah hah hah hah! i knows wot dees is... deys lih'ul meh'al dollies!
*gov1 and gov2 share a hearty laugh*
gamer- um, would you mind not throwing my things around so carelessly? they are expensive and took a great deal of care to assemble
gov1- ah hah hah hah! da 'umie wonts 'is dollies back!! *puts one up his nose*
gov2- shuttup ya grot. *turns to gamer* listen 'ere, gitface. youz get back in da line or wez gonna eatcha

cerealkiller195
10-04-2009, 15:06
ouch there are always horror stories about armies being mistreated at the airport. enough to scare the crap out of me, I always pack my army as a carry on the sabol 'platoon transport' is just about the right size to do this with. Sure it means at times that i must 'shrink' the army to make it fit (especially when i play horde type of armies). But the fact that i can see my army safe by my side is more than worth it.

Gork or Possibly Mork
11-04-2009, 03:23
When he went to collect on the insurance policy, the airlines told them they were not responsible for any damage done by the US government and Homeland Security.

Man that sucks. Sounds like you had fun even though your army didn't perform so great.

Was it you that mentioned about some rumoured undefeated LM list of doom?
Was the 4th place guy you mentioned that went 4-0 the same guy? Do you remember what the list look like.Slann+Duel EotG? Slann+Warspear+EotG?

Im more curious about the formation/tactics than the list but anything you can remember would be cool.

CaliforniaGamer
11-04-2009, 03:40
Man that sucks. Sounds like you had fun even though your army didn't perform so great.

Was it you that mentioned about some rumoured undefeated LM list of doom?
Was the 4th place guy you mentioned that went 4-0 the same guy? Do you remember what the list look like.Slann+Duel EotG? Slann+Warspear+EotG?

Im more curious about the formation/tactics than the list but anything you can remember would be cool.

I honestly wish I could tell you. I would love anyone from adepticon who actually won games to chime in on what lists went 4-0.

I was in such a daze that I was lucky to even make it to my own games on time let alone check out the action at the winning tables.

I do know the overall winner was a Khorne/Nurgle DoC list with 4 Heralds, no greater daemons(!!), set up something like:
2xunits of letters with herald on jug
2xunits of plague bearers with heralds, 1 being a bsb
bsb=standard of sundering
6 flamers
blood crushers
khorndogs (I think..)

I will add that Lizardmen seems to be a very competitive tournament army. Every LM army (although I didnt catch the 4-0 guy I was told he had a big block of temple guard+slann, skink with EOTG etc) I saw dismantled Vampire Counts fairly readily to the point Im beginning to think VC is slipping to the 4th power book slot behind DE, LM and of course DoC.

The results for Adepticon are now on the website and I dont think any VC army is even in the top 20 (although now that Im reading the rankings they added my points wrong and I should have been in the top25). Suprises for me is that Empire and Dwarves had such a good showing.

Gork or Possibly Mork
11-04-2009, 04:36
Thanks for replying to my question. Hopefully someone has some more info about it. I think Vamps are still up there 2nd or 3rd overall but LM do have the tools to hurt them possibly more than others.

The 4 herald list is scarier to me than a GD list. I saw a game the other day with an all Khorne list, 4 heralds on juggers and 3x6 flesh hounds few small blocks of Bloodletters and some crushers and a few other things. Extremely brutal list he mauled the other guy by turn 4 who was a mixed Nurgle/tzeentch list.

Good to know the results are in I'll check it out. I looked just yesterday and didn't see it.

CaliforniaGamer
11-04-2009, 05:06
Good to know the results are in I'll check it out. I looked just yesterday and didn't see it.

http://www.adepticon.org/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=224

should be it.
from vague recollection-
Jeff S. DoC
Elliot V. DoC Sea theme with giant sea creatures and a lobster GD! awesome
John Cash had one of the sickest showboard I have yet seen (although Im already working on an uber one with new army that truly dazzle:) he was Empire
Dylan G. who won a ton of painting awards had WoC

Im really not remembering what Gary Luther, Jordan Braun or Adam Hilton(Best General) brought.
I *think* Alex Nikiteniko brought Lizardmen as did his buddy

pcgamer72
11-04-2009, 20:32
Jordan Braun was playing Lizardmen with 2 ancients and a Slaan I believe.

I was playing Wood Elves and went into the 4th round, 3-0. I was matched up against Elliot Vigiils' Daemon army. Wood Elves have a lot of problems against Daemons, as do most armies for that matter.He had a very nicely converted and painted army, and it wasn't too too much OTT. He had a Herald in a unit of Bloodcrushers that I knew if I took out, I might be able to pull off a win. I got them stuck in with my Treeman and counter-charged with my Lord's Wardancer unit. I did the Killing Blow dance, since they are actually US2 cavalry, and landed 3 KBs on the 3 Bloodcrushers! He then proceeded to make all 3 ward saves, beat the heck out of the Wardancers, and run down my Lord. I called it there, only about 20 minutes into the game.

He was a very nice guy though, and it was actually a fairly entertaining game, considering how short it was.

Gork or Possibly Mork
11-04-2009, 21:02
Jordan Braun was playing Lizardmen with 2 ancients and a Slaan I believe.

Interesting. I thought Jordan Bruan was a Skaven player. I could be wrong though as Im not real familiar with the tournament scene and I know players switch armies often.

CaliforniaGamer
11-04-2009, 21:06
Interesting. I thought Jordan Bruan was a Skaven player. I could be wrong though as Im not real familiar with the tournament scene and I know players switch armies often.

I believe he literally has every single army painted to a near Golden Daemon level, must be nice. 25 grand collection? If anyone remembers what Hilton, the best general, was playing please post.

I initially thought only 4 people went 4-0 for the championships but in fact at least 8 did in reviewing the results.

Im thinking of the undefeated armies:
3 Daemons
3 Lizardmen
1 Dwarven gunline
1 ??? Empire perhaps? or WoC?

Gork or Possibly Mork
11-04-2009, 21:22
I believe he literally has every single army painted to a near Golden Daemon level, must be nice. 25 grand collection?

Woah!!! Im struggling just to paint my 3 armies [Lizzies,O&G,OK] up to a basic level of painting and I only have about 3000 pts. worth of each army.

pcgamer72
11-04-2009, 21:37
I'm pretty sure at least one VC player went 4-0. I know that there was a VC player with a Frostblade Lord that took out all of a WoC player's tzeentch characters on turn 2 (or something like that), and I believe that was in the 4th round on one of the tables near me.

CaliforniaGamer
11-04-2009, 21:40
I'm pretty sure at least one VC player went 4-0. I know that there was a VC player with a Frostblade Lord that took out all of a WoC player's tzeentch characters on turn 2 (or something like that), and I believe that was in the 4th round on one of the tables near me.

Fascinating, did he run the lord in a cavalry unit? dogs? knights?

pcgamer72
11-04-2009, 21:41
Fascinating, did he run the lord in a cavalry unit? dogs? knights?

I'm not too sure on that, but I don't think it was a doggy deathstar, so I'm guessing it was in some knights.

Shas'O Vash
12-04-2009, 05:30
VC won the Best General for the Fantasy Capmpionships. Some douche bag (cough , cough) took the Cairn Wraith Army of Doom.

CaliforniaGamer
12-04-2009, 05:54
VC won the Best General for the Fantasy Capmpionships. Some douche bag (cough , cough) took the Cairn Wraith Army of Doom.

any further description of douche bag army of doom? other than lots of wraiths I assume.

Shas'O Vash
12-04-2009, 16:44
2250 Pts - Vampire Counts Roster - Wraith Army of Doom

Heroes (5#, 1145 Pts)

1 Count Balthazar von Carstein Vampire Lord @ 450 Pts
1 Biting Blade @ [5] Pts
1 Helm of Commandment @ [30] Pts
1 Forbidden Lore @ [35] Pts
1 Lord of the Dead @ [15] Pts

1 Draven von Carstein Vampire @ 300 Pts
Vampire; Hand Weapon; Battle Standard Bearer; Undead

1 Renald von Carstein Vampire @ 185 Pts
1 Black Periapt @ [15] Pts
1 Walking Death @ [25] Pts

1 Miklos Kaszas the Acursed Necromancer @ 210 Pts
Corpse Cart; Hand Weapon; Undead
1 Corpse Cart @ [100] Pts
Unholy Lodestone
1 Power Stone @ [20] Pts
1 Power Stone @ [20] Pts
1 0. Invocation of Nehek @ [0] Pts
1 2. Vanhel's Danse Macabre @ [0] Pts

Core (32#, 354 Pts)

9 Skeleton Warriors @ 125 Pts
Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Light Armour; Shield; Undead
1 Banner of the Endless Nightmare @ [25] Pts
1 Skeleton Champion @ [16] Pts
Hand Weapon; Light Armour; Shield

9 Skeleton Warriors @ 125 Pts
Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Light Armour; Shield; Undead
1 War Banner @ [25] Pts
1 Skeleton Champion @ [16] Pts
Hand Weapon; Light Armour; Shield

11 Crypt Ghouls @ 104 Pts
1 Crypt Ghast @ [16] Pts

Rare (14#, 750 Pts)

6 Cairn Wraiths @ 375 Pts

6 Cairn Wraiths @ 375 Pts

Total Roster Cost: 2249

1st Opponent: VC
Highlights: Magic hated me but my Banshees manned up in this game. Stand and shoot reaction to charging Black Knights and rolling box cars = nice. I don’t think I rolled many Banshee Screams under 10 the whole game.

2nd Opponent: HE
Highlights: No Star Dragon, no Book of Hoeth, and only a level 1 scroll caddie. Enough said…

3rd Opponent: WE
Highlights: This was a tough game. The WE army was a fighter, not a shooter. 2 units of Dryads, 2 units of Wardancers, some Wild Riders, a few Alter Kindred, a unit of Tree Kin, a Treeman, and a Treeman Ancient.

I couldn’t roll more than 5” on any overrun or pursue which cost me A LOT of points. I basically won this in the bottom of the 6th when I managed to kill the last War Dancer and the BSB and cause the Tree Man, the Tree Man Ancient, and the Wild Riders to all break from combat; and also managed to finally get to his Ambassador.

4th Opponent: DE
Highlights: Standard DE tournament army. The Death Star unit: Dreadlord with the Executioner Ax, Master BSB with the Pendant on an Elven Steed, Sorceress with the Ring, and an Assassin in a unit of strike first Black Guard with a Cauldron of Blood giving them a 5+ ward save. He also had 2 Reapers, a Free Range Hydra, some Cold One Cavalry, 2 units of Dark Riders, 2 units of Harpies, and a partridge in a pear tree.

I moved up and raised a unit of zombies in front of the BG so I could avoid that unit for as long as possible. In his turn he put killing blow on some dark riders and charged the flank of my Death Star unit to try and off my BSB and charged the zombies with the BG. I screwed up and placed them badly and if he rolled an 11+ on his overrun he would hit my main unit; and then he proceeded to roll box cars. So on turn 2, both our Death Stars were at each others’ throats. My Death Star is casty, his was killy. He killed both my Vampires and dropped the skeleton unit from about 35 to about 7, but it was still there and now it was my turn.

I charged Wraiths into the back of his BG, Ghouls into the flank of his Dark Riders that were on my flank, and a unit of about 30 skeletons into the Dark Rider’s rear. My very first spell was a Vanhel’s Danse into the Wraiths to help them out; I rolled box cars and was in base to base with that damned Sorceress and that more damned Ring. Miscast. End of the Magic Phase. *******!!! The BG and all his characters wipe out the rest of my (formerly) Death Star unit except my lord. My charging skeleton and Ghouls 100% whiff, and it’s all down to the Cairn Wraiths. Have I mentioned that I love Cairn Wraiths? They just go **********!!! Keanu on the BG and wipe them to the standard bearer and the musician. I somehow managed to pass my personal Stupidity check and attacked the BG with my lord instead of the Sorceress who had just annoyed me, and wiped the unit out. I win. I outweigh. I cause fear. I catch everything. My opponent concedes. I have a cigarette.

CaliforniaGamer
12-04-2009, 17:09
Nice report and congrats on best general. Wraiths are indeed so elite I think I spent most of my games figuring out how to get them into combat with total disregard for the remainder of my list.

Im not seeing your "deathstar unit" though. Did you raise up the 10 skeleton unit with war banner to some ungodly amount?

Did your corpse cart float solo or attached to a skele unit?

A big part of that was the match up though. At home I play primarily 2 armies: shooty skaven and EOTG-lizards, both of which eat wraiths like scooby snacks.

I do like your 2 banshees, my lone banshee was definitely my MVP.

Shas'O Vash
12-04-2009, 17:14
All my Vampires go into one unit of Skeletons and I spend the first turn raising both of them up to around 30 or so. The Necro goes in the unit of Ghouls.

Muzzle
15-04-2009, 05:29
A. Shas is definitely a douche bag... ;)

B. Gary Luther played dwarves. (Oops! I mean Dwarfs!)

C. Jordan had lizzies at adepticon, and yes, it seems he
does own most, if not all the armies. Painted to GD
standard though? Um no...

CaliforniaGamer
15-04-2009, 19:02
C. Jordan had lizzies at adepticon, and yes, it seems he
does own most, if not all the armies. Painted to GD
standard though? Um no...

I meant to imply he has a ton of very very nicely painted models. I especially loved his 2008 Alamo Skaven army:

http://gwuscommunity.com/?p=285

but he seems to attend all things Warhammer and typically has a different very well painted force to show off!

PS-Anyone have a link to someone who posted a bunch of the Adepticon 2009 pics? I havent seen too much and my camera broke on the flight over so I got none of my own:(

eyore
16-04-2009, 06:09
I somehow managed to pass my personal Stupidity check and attacked the BG with my lord instead of the Sorceress who had just annoyed me, and wiped the unit out. I win. I outweigh. I cause fear. I catch everything. My opponent concedes. I have a cigarette.

Yeah, I do seem to have this bad habit of failing my own personal stupidity tests... I'm pretty sure if I had just put my BG so that they hung over the right side of that zombie unit you raised, instead of the left, I could have hit and wiped one of your wraith units.... but nooooooo I had to go for the big pork chop.

Anyways, it was a good game.

Stupid Cairn Wraiths.

Shas'O Vash
19-04-2009, 00:19
The Cairn Wraith army is a very paper-rock-scissors thing; either your opponent can deal with them or he can’t. In BashCon I faced three straight armies that could deal with them, and did so with a starting quickness. In AdeptiCon I managed to get lucky and not face off against “The List That Should Not Be” (a Tzeentch Deamon army with a Bloodthirster for the fluff) or any other army that could hand me my ass. I guess every dog has his day.

As a parting thought, I almost had this shirt made for me to wear at AdeptiCon:

douche-bag (doosh-bag) noun.
1. A person who takes fourteen Cairn Wraiths to a tournament.
2. A person who takes fourteen Cairn Wraiths to a tournament and does worse than Night Goblins.
3. This guy. :)

JamesTFL
19-04-2009, 01:58
the dwarfs were not a gunline. They were an very balanced list, no str 7 BTs lord had like 40 points of runes and they came forward. This tourney seemed to be a massive DE orgy I had 3 of 4 games against them.

Lutherblue
27-04-2009, 22:17
Hello,

I wouldn't say my army is a gunline. It has less that 30% shooting. It is a nice balance imho.

It is a dwarf lord, BSB, Runesmith and a naked Dragonslayer for charecters. and only 3 warmachines. An OG, and two non strength 7 Bolthrowers.

Adepticon was a blast, I highly reccomend it to anyone from all levels of gaming since tournaments are where you really learn just how far you can push your army.

I was one of the lucky guys who bid 5 points, and still drew three amazing opponents, including a VC and a Daemon army.

Cheers,
Gary "lutherblue" Luther