PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some quick base size info

jaxom
08-04-2009, 21:49
As posted in my intro, I am a Lizard player and looking for another army with a different flavor so I am experimenting (and of course proxying) a bit while I look.

At the moment I am fiddling with Warriors of Chaos and have borrowed an army from a friend but I find that I am experimenting with some units that he doesn't have. Can someone please help me with bases for proxying the following units (guesses in parens).

Tzeench Disk (same size as a Troll?)

Ogres (also Troll sized?)

Dragon Ogres (chariot or Troll?)

Demon Prince?

Troll King? Is he a standard Troll base?

Malorian
08-04-2009, 21:51
I'd tell you to bugger off and buy the models but I don't want to be a 'troll'.

;)

Witchblade
09-04-2009, 00:21
giant
troll
chariot, I think...
Demon Prince?
giant
troll, I think
Answers bolded.

WhyNotCrashDifferently?
09-04-2009, 01:12
50mm by 50mm, larger than Trolls.

40mm by 40mm, same as Trolls.

40mm, Trolls.

Demon Prince?
50mm, same as Disk.

40mm, Trolls.

Witchblade is wrong on a few counts. The Giant comes with a chariot base, 50mm by 100mm.

EvC
09-04-2009, 01:25
WhyNotCrashDifferently? is wrong on a few counts. The Giant comes with a "Gigantic" base, 50mm by 75mm or so.

WhyNotCrashDifferently?
09-04-2009, 01:40
WhyNotCrashDifferently? is wrong on a few counts. The Giant comes with a "Gigantic" base, 50mm by 75mm or so.

Ah, whatever. Never bought a giant.

The answers in red are correct.

EvC
09-04-2009, 01:42
Yeah, just messing, your answers were right :)

WhyNotCrashDifferently?
09-04-2009, 01:45
I assumed Witchblade wasn't referencing the old metal Giant, because that did come on a 50mm base and he'd be correct about the Disk and Daemon Prince. The plastic kit comes with the base EvC corrected me about.

Chipacabra
09-04-2009, 03:29
All of your base size questions are answered here:
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2480001_feuille_ref_WFB_PU-Socles-Type.pdf

You'll just have to puzzle out the French, I'm afraid.

rottahn
09-04-2009, 05:59
Ah, whatever. Never bought a giant.

The answers in red are correct.

wrong on a few counts, there. daemon princes are on 40mm bases, unless you are belakor. the new plastic one is proibably on a 50mm base. but the metal one that looks 40kish still comes with a 40mm square base and a 30mm round base. the metal "orc" giant is a 50x50mm base, and the plastic one is on a 50x75mm base.

EDIT: oh and the old fantasy daemon princes that are OOP, up to and including Azazel are all on 40mm bases as well.

WhyNotCrashDifferently?
09-04-2009, 11:20
wrong on a few counts, there. daemon princes are on 40mm bases, unless you are belakor. the new plastic one is proibably on a 50mm base. but the metal one that looks 40kish still comes with a 40mm square base and a 30mm round base. the metal "orc" giant is a 50x50mm base, and the plastic one is on a 50x75mm base.

EDIT: oh and the old fantasy daemon princes that are OOP, up to and including Azazel are all on 40mm bases as well.

But for that jaxom was requesting the current standard base size of Daemon Princes, which is indeed 50mm, not the base sizes of all previous models in the range. Check your Warriors of Chaos army book. That being said, it's unlikely an opponent will care if your old Daemon Prince is on a 40mm base but again, that wasn't the question asked.

And had you read my previous post, you'd've seen that the Giant issue has been clarified, though again the legal base size is the current 50mm by 75mm EvC pointed out and not the old 50mm by 50mm.

Perhaps I should also have mentioned that Slaan used to be infantry-sized models a few decades ago, to prevent any passing Lizardmen players from becoming confused. I think you're trolling at this point.

Shamfrit
09-04-2009, 11:30
50mm for the Disc, 40mm for all the others.

WhyNotCrashDifferently?
09-04-2009, 12:28
I'm not the arguing type, and this point isn't worth belabouring. The new plastic Daemon Prince is mounted on a 50mm base (http://i41.tinypic.com/r7j4fm.jpg). The old metal Prince as well as the current metal 40k-centric Prince come with 40mm bases.

In a proxy game I'd recommend using whatever you have available. No 50mm? Use a 40.

it's unlikely an opponent will care if your old Daemon Prince is on a 40mm base

jaxom
09-04-2009, 13:14
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the responses.

Urgat
09-04-2009, 13:26
Latest reference sheet puts the DP on 50*50mm bases.

jaxom
09-04-2009, 18:10
There are reference sheets? Where would those be found? I have not seen anything dated after 2003.

rottahn
09-04-2009, 18:21
I'm not the arguing type, and this point isn't worth belabouring. The new plastic Daemon Prince is mounted on a 50mm base (http://i41.tinypic.com/r7j4fm.jpg). The old metal Prince as well as the current metal 40k-centric Prince come with 40mm bases.

In a proxy game I'd recommend using whatever you have available. No 50mm? Use a 40.

you can buy the plastic daemon prince model? cool buy me one. :)

as for "current models" the only daemon princes that are currently in production are the metal 40k ones, and the nurgle one doesnt come with a fantasy base. or at least mine didnt. but then again, i based mine on the 60mm round "dreadnought" base since he fits better on it.

and if you check GW's stance on basing i think their argument is "use whatever base it comes with".

and finally, how can i be trolling since what i posted was correct. you so gleefully liked to correct others, and i thought it just right to correct the correcter.

Urgat
09-04-2009, 19:28
There are reference sheets? Where would those be found? I have not seen anything dated after 2003.

Yes, the latest one is from this month, it's on the french website. I've posted it in at least 10 different threads since it's been released, I'm not gonna fetch up the link yet again. Run a search, shouldn't be too difficult to find.

Edit: scratch that, I've included the link in my sig. What you're looking for is "prince démon" under either "guerriers du chaos" or "démons du chaos".

what i posted was correct

As I've posted, it is incorrect. 50*50 it is for demon princes.

WhyNotCrashDifferently?
09-04-2009, 19:33
If my original post came off as belligerent that certainly wasn't my intention. I didn't jump at the opportunity to correct someone, I simply did in what I thought was a neutral tone.

And I am as poor in plastic Daemon Princes as the next fellow but the base size is evident in every photograph of it. It's also the only Daemon Prince model featured in the army book. Despite the model not being available yet, it exists and in this new Warriors book its base size is 50mm. I take for granted that that's the new standard.

As for the troll comment, that can be blamed on the same misinterpretation of intent my first post has suffered, so I apologise for that quip. Text has no tone or feeling on the Internet, that old argument. I'm just not much for emoticons, their absence must make me sound like an ********.

jaxom
09-04-2009, 20:07
Thanks again, Urgat. My French is far from adequate for most purposes but I am able to decipher the units I need. I greatly appreciate the information and will fiddle a little bit with the searches to see if I can figure out why my prior searches (chaos "base size") didn't turn up any of your posts.

WhyNotCrashDifferently?
09-04-2009, 20:31
Aye, that is a nice chart to have. Thanks from me as well.

Sirroelivan
09-04-2009, 21:39
Thought I'd best post this here instead of making a new thread.

I was thinking of converting a Hellcanon out of a spawn with a cannon growing out of his back. Now I was wondering what would be the appropriate base size to put him on, since the Hellcanon doesn't come with a base.

Urgat
09-04-2009, 22:11
Her, for the hell canon, they suggest a pretty unusual 80*100, but they insist that the default rules of warmachines not having bases remains valid, and that base is only indicated for GT purposes and shouldn't be enforced otherwise.
That's true for pretty much all the chart anyway, there's a note saying it's made as a reference for GT organisers. As the name suggests, it's just a reference sheet. Anyway, as it's the only up-to-date document from GW concerning base sizes, I'll always point to that one.

EvC
10-04-2009, 00:08
Well just the other day after seeing the sheer thanks to you I mad my Hellcannon's movement tray from a 100 x 80mm movement tray, so it better be right, or I'm coming to kill you ;)

Urgat
10-04-2009, 07:09
Well I'll just point you to GW France if that's the case :p