PDA

View Full Version : Codex binding quality

Deadmanwade
08-04-2009, 23:51
Hey all, I am having a problem with 2 of my codex's. The pages are starting to come away from the binding in my nids codex (purchased last summer) and my marine codex (purchased on the day of release).
Does anyone else have these problems?

zoodog
08-04-2009, 23:55
It seems to be not an uncommon issues with the marine dex

carldooley
09-04-2009, 00:02
I have, though I don't use mine quite so strenuously. Push come to shove, either use heavy staples to reinforce the binding or get those document baggies to carry your codecii when they disintegrate. on the other hand you could take pictures of the relevant codex pages and use them personally - as long as you don't disseminate them GW probably won't have a problem with you using them in that way.

The_Outsider
09-04-2009, 00:04
The marine codex is well known for having crap binding.

Burke888
09-04-2009, 00:06
Try calling GW and see if they will replace it.

Inquisitor S.
09-04-2009, 00:10
And next time use the search function there was a thread about this not so long ago.

perplexiti
09-04-2009, 00:14
I just took my marine codex back and they replaced with a new brand new one. I remember a while back they had issues with the binding for white dwarf as well, bloody things jept falling apart in a big way. Also my VC army book did it too.

techman
09-04-2009, 00:17
And next time use the search function there was a thread about this not so long ago.

In all seriousness dude...maybe something new has come up that he could learn that wasnt in the last post. Sometimes something being revisited can help open up new ideas, issues, fixes.

To the post, yes the back pages of my codex are falling out. I'm lucky its those to tell the truth, now i can just laminate it and take it to the store with me...its all I need :D

09-04-2009, 00:18
my nid codex started falling apart 3 months after I bought it

Orcboy_Phil
09-04-2009, 00:21
Yes the marine codex is terrible for this. It should have been hardback and the pages sown.

Alessander
09-04-2009, 00:38
Yes the marine codex is terrible for this. It should have been hardback and the pages sown.

Sure, if you don't mind paying $50 for a codex.

The books are the most expensive part of GW product lines - they are printed and bound out-of-house.

Orcboy_Phil
09-04-2009, 00:48
Your actually looking at a £20-30 price range looking at my RPG's which proberly have a far smaller print run than the SM codex.

Threeshades
09-04-2009, 00:52
The only codex that ever started falling apart on me was my 3rd Edition Eldar codex. Though it was quite old an very often used. Other than that my 4th ed tyranid codex had a bit of the trasparent foil layer around the cover coming off.

Otherwise my books are all in good condition.

No wait my 3rd edition rule book was completely falling apart towards the final days of its edition. But it was an old and heavy book in a soft cover that had seen a lot of use and transportation. May it rest in pieces.

Nexus Trimean
09-04-2009, 00:54
Clear packing tape, lots of it.

Conspyre
09-04-2009, 01:02
The quality of the bindings has definitely been going down. A number of people in the area have been taking their books to Kinko's or other print shops, and having the books coil-bound. It's very helpful, as it keeps the pages in nicely, and also allows the book to lay flat on a table or be folded back on itself.

ozzyboy
09-04-2009, 02:37
I have had the same problems with my necron, dwarf, both of my tau codexes, as well as the foil peeling. I was in north California when i saw a gamestore that cut the bindings off of them and then spiral bound them. You could see if you can find something like that, or even do it yourself. thats what im going to look into.

Templar Ben
09-04-2009, 04:05
In all seriousness dude...maybe something new has come up that he could learn that wasnt in the last post. Sometimes something being revisited can help open up new ideas, issues, fixes.

To the post, yes the back pages of my codex are falling out. I'm lucky its those to tell the truth, now i can just laminate it and take it to the store with me...its all I need :D

But he could have posted his query in that thread.

ozzyboy
09-04-2009, 04:45
But then we get into the nasty bit of threadromancy. I think that this thread is fine, and we let it be. Do you three have issues with your codexes?

CraftworldsRus
09-04-2009, 04:56
I too find my marine book are falling into tiny bits, although I take the utmost care with them. The same can be said for most other army books I have bought recently(not orks...for some reason).

Thylacine
09-04-2009, 05:44
Hi.

I have a library background (acquisitions for a uni library) and the binding on the GW codices is up to par for a book of that price. Unfortunately the average gamers codex receives a lot of use and abuse as it is transported from game to game and used as a reference.

You could look up a book binder in your local Yellow Pages and take it to him for repair, this would involve having the pages stitched together and the cover glued back in place.

Unfortunately with lots of use books come apart, I had to repair my 4th ed rule book (in-house) to make it last the last few months and I know how to look after my books.

With a new codex you should place some 'bulldog' clips on the spine so that they cover a 1/4" of the cover at the spine, then open the book starting with the cover bending it back so that a crease is formed, do this page by page and this sets the book. You have now set a hinge rather than using the spine as a hinge, which in modern glued books will soon come apart.

If your codex has split at the spine but no pages are loose, try opening the book at the pages either side of the split and applying a thin line of white glue (you should all have that at hand) to the spine. Don't use too much as this is a time when more = less, close the book, place it on a flat surface and sit a large heavy book (your rule book?) on it overnight to hold things in place.

Now do the thing with the bulldog clips, if any other splits appear in the spine, use the glue again or go to a book binder.

Have fun.

dblaz3r
09-04-2009, 08:36

Depends which currency your talking ;) Me I'm spending another $50 on May 2nd :)

As for my codex woes, I have none to speak of. All of mine are in perfect condition and have not a page falling out, some have had a lot of use some not so much.

Foolish Mortal
09-04-2009, 09:53
Just before Xmas I bought both of the daemon books.

I started to read the fantasy one, & within literally minutes a number of pages had fallen out.

I took it back & got it replaced, but now I'm wary of even touching the damn thing!!

Lordmonkey
09-04-2009, 10:53
I have similar issues with my fantasy army books. They are often kept open near the magic items section and that bit has come right out of the book!

Shoddy quality.

Born Again
09-04-2009, 14:53
My 3rd Ed. rulebook had the cover come right of the day I got it. Got it replaced and it was fine afterwards. All my codecies are fine.

Try looking after the books more, don't crank 'em right open so that the glue cracks open, treat them good and they should be fine.

Cain The Good
12-04-2009, 23:02
I peruse my codex Orks on a regular basis and it is still intact. If it breaks I'll let you know.
Cain

RichBlake
12-04-2009, 23:37
My codexes and rulebooks have always been fine. Then again my memory is good so I can practically write the entire codex out from scratch including points and options after like a month so I dont actually use it often.

Maybe you've got unlucky? Though if you want to stop using your codexes as much in order to preserve them print off a reference sheet. The sta lines are the things I look up the most (then again the new guard 'dex will have loads of new rules, so it may fall apart due to flicknig through/not right loving)

guillimansknight
12-04-2009, 23:41

The books are the most expensive part of GW product lines - they are printed and bound out-of-house.

yeah but if they cut the crap out of the books it would cost the same as a normal codex

JLBeady
13-04-2009, 00:23
As I have shared before, its not a question of if the binding on perfect bound books will fail, but when, especially given how we tend to use them. My tip for you is do what I do. Go to a local copy shop (Kinko’s or the like) and have them cut the spine off and rebind it using Plastic coil (Often pronounced as Plasticoil, not to be confused with wire-o binding which is made of metal). I get mine with the heavy clear Mylar front and back to protect the front and back covers and offers a small measure of protection against liquids This type of binding is perfect as it allows you to lay the book flat and the small holes minimize the chances of the binding failing.

Tyron
13-04-2009, 00:46
I was losing pages from my marine codex, I phoned up customer service and they said I can go into GW and get it replaced, got a new one 5 minutes after the call ;)

LonelyPath
13-04-2009, 00:51
The SM, VC, DoC and DA books all have binding issues, or at least mine have. I had t ohave my DA book replaced twice in the first month as the pages were falling out. On the 2nd copy the first 4 pages fell out when I got it home and opened it.

I've had the others to long really to warrant a new copy, but if it gets to bad I'll tape the pages in place.

Strikerkc
13-04-2009, 00:53
Wow, I'm amazed only one person has sugested going to a copy center to get it coil bound.

Walk into any copy center worth it's salt. Tell them you want the spine trimmed off as close as they can (so you don't loose text when they trim it, don't worry, it's not hard for them to do, just make sure they know you want a close trim or they may forget, or not check the inside text).

Then have them coil bind it. (Coil is the type that lets you lay the book compleetly flat, even fold it back on itself and still lay flat.) Don't get "Comb" binding (also called "spiral" binding sometimes, for some stupid reason). It's crap.

The whole thing should only cost you $3.00 or so. Your codex will be even easier to use than when you bought it, and it will be more durable than it would be after any of the other sugested solutions.