PDA

View Full Version : ironback boar: fact + opinion

rtunian
08-04-2009, 23:33
o&g enchanted item, 35 points
boar. when charging, this steed does d3 s5 impact hits, in addition to its normal attacks

fact question: to use this item on a character, do i have to pay for the boar upgrade on the character and the ironback boar special item, or does the ironback boar special item include the boar upgrade?

for example, in the reference in the back of the o&g book, under orc big boss it says you can take a boar for 16 points. if i want to use the ironback boar on my big boss, do i have to pay 16+35 for it?

opinion question: is the iron gnashas better take than the ironback boar? killing blow for 30 pt, also an enchanted item (so they both use the same slot), triggers in 50% of combats (3 attacks x 1/6 chance) seems alot more powerful than +1-3 s5 hits that i still have to roll to wound, and beat armor/ward/regen.. plus kb takes out man sized characters...

i may have just convinced myself, but anyway, does anyone have a love affair with their ironback boar?

as always, thank you for infos & opines :)

Shamfrit
08-04-2009, 23:37
Ironback Boar is pretty sick on a Savage Orc Warlord, as he gets 2 STR5 attacks on the charge, D3 impact hits, and then a bucket load of attacks from the Orc himself.

On a normal Orc, not so much, and a Black Orc is better off benefitting from a Wyvern or for that matter, a normal Board to boost his armour save. Savage Orc Boar Boss with this little nugget in a unit of Savage Orc Boar Boyz will be twice as 'itty!

And no, you don't have to pay for the mundane + item, the Ironback Back follows all the rules for Boar, in addition to the impact hits.

Spirit
08-04-2009, 23:50
Killing blow is less % than that, you didnt include rolling to hit.

3 rounds of combat, 9 attacks, 6 hits (hitting on a 3+), 1 KB, 33% of combats.

So you have to have a higher WS (unlikely if your tryng to kill a character) and then you only have a 33% chance.

rtunian
09-04-2009, 01:02
ABOOO!!!
it's rolling to wound, yet my insane self which very much wanted it to be triggered on the hit only read to hit. i read it twice too.

Ikhoornix
09-04-2009, 06:23
In addition, killing blow only works against man sized models

Urgat
09-04-2009, 06:36
On a normal Orc, not so much, and a Black Orc is better off benefitting from a Wyvern or for that matter, a normal Board to boost his armour save.

Boards indeed give good saves :p
Jokes aside, the ironback boar is a boar, so it gives that save too.
Anyway, while it's good, unless you hate the big target deal or really want to put your dude in a unit, a charriot is better.

Braad
09-04-2009, 07:54
You also don't need a spear to use the pigstikka... so no. It's indeed a nice one. May I opt that you convert a really cool model to use as ironback boar (gives away the surprise, I know... but it's cool) and show it to us :D

danny-d-b
09-04-2009, 07:58
the fact the first word says BOAR should help you

kroq'gar
09-04-2009, 08:16
Would be cool to convert an orc riding a juggernaught...

Dvil
09-04-2009, 09:42
Yeah, the Tomb King Chariot of Fire specifically states "Character in chariot only", so you have to pay for a mundane then the magic one. Since the Ironback doesn't say that, I'm going with general opinion here.

Witchblade
09-04-2009, 11:20
Would be cool to convert an orc riding a juggernaught...
Look for a O&G vs DE battle report (part 1/2) on youtube. Someone did that.

rtunian
09-04-2009, 13:43
the fact the first word says BOAR should help you

oh danny, you can stop pretending like all the rules are perfectly cut and dry, easy to understand, with absolutely no contradictions anywhere, where common sense applies 100% of the time.

theunwantedbeing
09-04-2009, 13:54
You take the ironback boar if your expecting to be getting the charge a lot.
Works will with a savage orc warboss with say...Porko's Pigstikka or Ulags Akrit Axe.
Lots of st6 attacks, or not quite so many, re-rolling to hit.

Usually you'll be wanting to shred the enemy troops, not enemy character's.
The +1 attack is more useful for this.

Although if you want to go for character's then Ulag Akrit Axe and Imbad's Iron Ghasha's are a good combo on a Savage Orc Warboss as that'll be 5 attacks so a reasonable chance of a single killing blow hit.(as you'll hit 4-5 times). You can try it with the pigstikka and hopefully get lucky with hitting of course, as that's upto 8 attacks, reaosnable chance of getting the 6 hits you need to almost ensure that 1/6 chance of killing blow.

As for conversions for the Boar......the Juggernaught is simply far too large.
Like using a Carnosaur as a Cold one, sure it looks cool but its overly large and doesnt really look right.

You'de do better to use a motorbike.
Empire get a robotic Horse.
Dwarves get a Helicopter.
Bike for orcs ^_^

Urgat
09-04-2009, 14:02
I'm using a rhinox (well, the conversion has been on hold for... pfewww, two years at least, but still :p + see sig, very first page)

Braad
09-04-2009, 14:20
You'de do better to use a motorbike.
Empire get a robotic Horse.
Dwarves get a Helicopter.
Bike for orcs ^_^

Hehe... I always loved those new bikes they got for 40K :D
Using those might be stretching it a bit too far...

What I was thinking, was getting two Cryx Deathrippers from Warmachine, and gluing those together, ofcourse getting rid of one of the heads in the meantime.

AramilSairSianontel
09-04-2009, 17:20
I would consider the boar from the orc hero plastic sprew with some metal gits over it...or of course Gorbad's model-the boar there looks awesome

No-One
09-04-2009, 22:29
i used the jugger from the khorne chaos lord, took some work but it fits on a normal cav base, you can find it over in the fantasy logs section, i think it looks sweet and the beast makes him sit nearly as tall as an ogre, fitting nicely as a centerpiece for an army