PDA

View Full Version : Queen Beruthiel model options?

Santiaghoul
09-04-2009, 16:19
I want to include Queen Beruthiel but obviously there is no model for her yet. Her background is that she was the wife of the 12th king of Gondor and used cats, which she hated, to spy on the populus for her own nefarious ends. Eventually, she was left adrift in a boat at sea with only her cats. Supposedly she made her way back to the Eastern realms.

There is a noted lack of female models in the range.My thought is using one of the 3 females and adding a cat to the base. Though I need to find a cat in the right size. Any suggestions as to a model to use either for Queen B or her cat?

jaws900
09-04-2009, 17:47
I would suggest one of farmer magots dog's as a bace for the cat and with cutting and green stuff here it can be done (Tho difficult). For the queen we have to look thats she's eaither Harad or Easterling baced. If she is harad baced then a simple harad cloak will do and maybe Arwen's head ontop of a harad body. you would need to do some stuff the the face and also clouring will be important as i would imagne her with dark hair and a golden robe. If she was eastrerling i would think that she would wear parts of the easterling armour but whould have her face showing or wouldn't but look menising. How this would be done i haven't the foggyist.

dax
09-04-2009, 17:49
Ebob does 2 females - the princess of wales and lady green sleeves have a look at them. The Rebellion range is roughly the same scale as LoTR

http://www.ebobminiatures.com/products/rebellion.htm#3

pyremius
09-04-2009, 17:53
I'm leaning towards the Goldberry model for Beruthiel at the moment, although I'd have to see the mini to figure out whether or not the candle should be removed. I hadn't thought about adding a cat, but that would be a nice touch. I'll have to search and see what ideas I can come up with.

Nu Fenix
09-04-2009, 18:56
When I read her rules, I tried to work out ideas with the redshirts locally, as they know the range better then me.

Ideas we had we:
* Goldberry, as Pyremius has thought, could make quite a suitable form.
* Galadriel, the war form version from the White Council, I feel has a great look. Unfortunately it isn't available on its own, and when I saw one on Ebay, it went for over 7 plus postage on top.
* Twilight Ringwraith, when you look at the picture of them, the right one has a feminin look to me, and would work well, and also couldn't be mistaken for a Twilight Ringwraith since they are bought as a Formation.
* Eowyn, the unarmoured version that is now OOP, but is sometimes found on Ebay. Has simple clothing, carries a sword, and won't be mistaken for another hero.

In regards to adding a cat, if you can somehow get the cat from the old Vampire Counts Queen Neferata model, she came with a black cat that could travel to enemy units and hinder them, ala Grima. It is the only GW model that comes to mind at the moment.

dax
09-04-2009, 20:04
From unfinished tales Queen Beruthiel is of Black Numenorian origin from somewhere south of Umbar she returned there after she was exiled.

Attached is a pic of Mithrils take on her.

lorelorn
09-04-2009, 23:52
I'll be looking outside the LotR range for a suitable Beruthiel model. I want something more 'spirit queen back from the dead to murder you' kind of thing. If war aspect Galadriel were available singly I'd use that, but since not I'll try other manufacturers.

Nu Fenix
10-04-2009, 00:33
I only have a GW store as a venue to play at, so unfortunately I can't look beyond the range, otherwise I would go through my Rackham collection as there is bound to be something nice in there.

Killshot
10-04-2009, 01:07
How about some Viking Valkyries from Foundry?

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/VIK/6/index.asp

Just reread you latest post, ignore me.

Hellfury
10-04-2009, 16:20
I only have a GW store as a venue to play at, so unfortunately I can't look beyond the range, otherwise I would go through my Rackham collection as there is bound to be something nice in there.

Odd thing that.

The book even suggests using proxies from coins to other more appropriate things.

Not to turn this thread into an argument about GW's policy of only allowing citadel minis within its 'hallowed halls' but their own widely circulated publication makes suggestions towards being a bit more open.

Perhaps it might be worth pointing out to those very same people who run the shop.

I really do feel bad for the brits who have a distinct lack of independent FLGS around who refrain from using GW's draconian model policies.

pyremius
12-04-2009, 15:04
I managed to find one of the old Fellowship-carded Arwen models (05-45, or 950859 ). Once I remove the sword, it should look non-elven enough to do the job.

takaetun
12-04-2009, 15:05
I'm seriously considering just sculpting some hair onto Dalamyr and seeing how that goes... I'm going to guess 'poorly', but no one else wears clothing similar enough to what she'd have worn.

Santiaghoul
12-04-2009, 22:27
I managed to find one of the old Fellowship-carded Arwen models (05-45, or 950859 ). Once I remove the sword, it should look non-elven enough to do the job.

Thats what I ended up with as well.

Chimera
13-04-2009, 00:53
The new(ish) Dark Elf Supreme Sorceress model - the one with the swirly magic going on around her - painted up in Army of the Dead style colours and stuck on a round base.

Job done :)

Santiaghoul
13-04-2009, 02:59
The new(ish) Dark Elf Supreme Sorceress model - the one with the swirly magic going on around her - painted up in Army of the Dead style colours and stuck on a round base.

Job done :)

How does she look scale wise? My only problem with mixing the lines, is that most LotR models are significantly smaller than those in WFB and 40K.

Nu Fenix
13-04-2009, 03:08
Scale has been a factor for why I haven't looked outside of LOTR, as the don't suffer from the heroic upscaling of other GW lines.

JHK
13-04-2009, 03:38
Scale has been a factor for why I haven't looked outside of LOTR, as the don't suffer from the heroic upscaling of other GW lines.

This is a general problem with going outside of the LOTR line, but I have noticed that Brettonians were modelled closer to true 25mm. They are (along with the Forgeworld Elysian Drop Troopers), quite small compared to the other WHFB figures and thus pretty close to the LOTR figures. I have had success mixing plastic parts between Brettonian and LOTR figures, though I haven;t had experience with their metal figures. Perhaps one of the Damsel figures might be a good place fit for the project.

nesbit37
14-04-2009, 04:31

I have been wondering about this rule lately because of Beruthiel. Not so much for GW stores, but tournaments. What are you experiences with using models from another range to represent a GW character that has no miniature in tournaments?

Nu Fenix
14-04-2009, 09:09
I think it will depend on who is hosting the tournament.

If it was an official GW tournament held at Warhammer World, then I imagine it would have to be 100% GW all the way.

If it was held away from GW by a third party, I would contact the organisers and ask them, as it would probably be on a case by case basis.

On the upside, I won an Arwen on Ebay, so I will be using her :)

Baggers
14-04-2009, 14:25
I am sorry, but where is her background. I can find no reference for her anywhere.

takaetun
14-04-2009, 14:29
Unfinished Tales, a book Tolkein's son collected, edited and finished after his father's death. So, yes, it's a little arcane. :P

Basically she was a Black Numenorean queen who had a fair few cats which she tortured and used as spies, before being expelled from the land on a ship with her cats.

Nu Fenix
14-04-2009, 18:33
Here is an article about her on Wiki, and is how I found out about her - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Beruthiel

de Selby
14-04-2009, 19:38
Doesn't Gandalf or someone in LOTR (or possibly the hobbit) swear 'by the cats of queen beruthiel'? I'd forgotten about her until now.

edit: it's in the article quoted above! Aragorn declares that Gandalf is better at finding his way in the dark.

I had a feeling that GW did a cat model for Mordheim but I can't find it, sorry.

Nu Fenix
14-04-2009, 19:43
As i mentioned towards the start of the thread, there was a cat model done for an old Vampire Count special character, but has been OOP for a good few years now. I think I have one lying about, though it looks quite big for a cat in LOTR.

Damien 1427
14-04-2009, 19:54
As i mentioned towards the start of the thread, there was a cat model done for an old Vampire Count special character, but has been OOP for a good few years now. I think I have one lying about, though it looks quite big for a cat in LOTR.

Not quite OOP, but it's in the collectors section (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1300345&prodId=prod1140297). And yes, that cat is rather large. And it wouldn't, in my opinion, fit in with the aesthetic they've produced for LotR.

Nu Fenix
14-04-2009, 22:57
Wow! I never imagined that model would still be around, and so I never even tried to check.

takaetun
15-04-2009, 00:14
That cat is like... Hobbit sized. I wouldn't want that one sleeping on the end of my bed.