PDA

View Full Version : How do you win?

bryankia
16-12-2005, 14:13
This thread is inspired by the "When do you lose?" thread. It seems like the topic often deviated to winning (I am guilty of that). So here are the ground rules. Please provide examples that would work for any army not a strategy around one army.

How do I win.
Find what my army does well and play to those strengths. An example would be that my Grey Knight army is very mobile (not fast). So I use the ability to move 6" and shoot 24 every turn to my opponents determent.
Play the mission
Build armies that I think I would like to play against. This way I keep having opponents to play.

There are more but I would like to hear how you guys are doing it.

Thanks,
Bryan

warwizard_99
16-12-2005, 14:17
I would have to say army comp. I build lists to play against every army from Grey Knights to Ork Horde's. Flexability is the key.

Jamz
16-12-2005, 14:24
I use tactically flexible lists... with good tactics build around the strengths of the force I'm playing.

I can't remember the last time I lost a battle, I've drawn and they have been close draws.. but not lost, my small gaming group are dying for one of them to beat me...

warwizard_99
16-12-2005, 14:26
a second way to win is Target Priority. If you know how to prioritze targets, you can gut an enemy force before they have the chance to do the same to your army.

Str10_hurts
16-12-2005, 14:32
Na... the real way of winning is that you pick the fights. (edit: what warwizard_99 said.)

And use to 100% of the terrain you have, ive won battles on deployment.

Colonel Simon
16-12-2005, 14:32
a second way to win is Target Priority. If you know how to prioritze targets, you can gut an enemy force before they have the chance to do the same to your army.

Word! Target priority is very important and has won me and especially my guard army many battles.

ArtificerArmour
16-12-2005, 14:42
play the mission. my opponant has woeful bad luck and forgets that thing like the games over if i kill a cetain person (which has happened, to the loss of only one member of my 15 strong IG kill team).

Rabid Bunny 666
16-12-2005, 14:45
i always use my 13th company list exactly the same, 1,200 odd in a 1500 point campaign and they still work, i mainly use a refused flank and storm down one side, because of the free 6" move before the game, i can potentially get 24" on the board in turn 1, 30" if i charge. i also go for a long fang squad with 4 meltaguns, they rarely earn their points back but they put the fear of the emperor into the enemies

the wolf lord and his squad of grey slayes are designed to win wars of attrition in close combat because they are as hard as nails, one squad of 3 bikers with 2 power weapons and a pack leader with a power fist are designed to carve through several squads before dying, they almost always earn their points back. don't use storm claws, too inflexible, unlike grey slayers

Xander-K
16-12-2005, 15:05
you win by being flexible, and aware of what the enemy units are capable of, oh and also good timing.

Sai-Lauren
16-12-2005, 15:08
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.

That do?

No? Ok, the primary objective is the only thing that matters. Never lose sight of it. Don't be distracted by the big and scary, or the weak and helpless if they're not part of your objective.

If all else fails, shut your eyes, take a deep breath, open your eyes, close the rulebook, grab your dice and go down with all guns blazing.

Or to quote the Paranoia RPG golden rule:-

Put on a good show and fate will smile upon you.
Be boring and you're dead.

Stu
16-12-2005, 15:27
Believe you can win and you will.
Believe you can lose and you will.

This might sound stupid however I find that a optimistic attitude toward the game will be perhaps 30% of your victory.Even if you don't win the game in the end you will feel a lot better if you lose.

Obviously the other 70% will be army composition, your game plan and flexibility to change it, and finally and most important always ALWAYS remember what are the victory conditions.

Orbital
16-12-2005, 16:31
If you're fast, assassinate stragglers.

If you're slow, bunch up.

Exterminatus
16-12-2005, 16:38
Bring loaded dice :D

Adept
16-12-2005, 19:11
1 - Have a plan.

2 - Have, within that plan, a plan for every unit.

3 - Make sure that everything you do with every unit is part of that plan.

So, for example, don't move your Lascannon team to prevent them getting assaulted if it means you can no longer use them to target enemy armour. Take the shots this turn, then take take the hit. Don't keep units stationary so you can fire their heavy weapon, no matter how tempting, if you need to advance. Basically, don't lose sight of the big picture.

starlight
16-12-2005, 19:24
Balanced, flexible list.
Stick to the Mission Objectives.
Stick to your Plan.

Hlokk
16-12-2005, 19:33
How do I win?

I dont. I've won 5 games this year, and I've played over 100 of them. :rolleyes:

Still, at least I had fun, which is the main thing :D

warwizard_99
16-12-2005, 20:07
Stu hit something on the head. I have a friend who is very negative about everything. It can be turn 2 and he's just lost his Land Raider, and will call the game because he can't win...If he doesn't call it, he does stupid things that will throw the game. Is really annoying.

Follow
16-12-2005, 20:31
I'm all about strategy and outflank. I match up my opponent and use my units strengths against his weaknesses. I make feints in my deployment, pretending my show will be strong there and then abandon the flank entirely, leaving his reinforcements to be useless.

I build a balanced list so that I have someone to use for any task I need done and I can time their arrival or lead my opponent. I'm not afraid of leaving a unit to die if it will buy me the time I need to win the objective. I'm not opposed to using even my commanders as bait in order to force my opponent to a position I want him.

It works rather successfully, the only thing that matters while planning your turn is winning the battle. I always have fun when matching wits with someone in the context of a wargame. I like to record my games for later referrence to improve for the next one.

Strategy, tactics.

Follow :)

blitz589
16-12-2005, 20:33
I probably win because of my list, i could probably make several tactical mistakes and still win.

neko
16-12-2005, 20:38
The best bet is to combine all the above, stay flexible, play your strengths, concentrate on the mission, etc. Also, carry a big stick. If all else fails, having a big stick can swing the battle, especially if you know how to use it.

Ophidicus
16-12-2005, 21:55
Learn to judge distances, thus know when you can and can't be charged/shot/squished.

Snakebite
16-12-2005, 22:41
1. Know your army list

Sounds obvious, but how many times have we all (myself included) come up with a wargear selection that is perfect for our heroes, only to forget them in the heat of battle?

2. Know your army's capabailities

Keep in the front of your mind what the units that are on the table can do. How quickly can they react to the flow of battle? How much firepower can your troops provide? How much of a dent will your guys put in the enemy battleline?

3. Know your army's limits

Conversely, be aware of what your troops cannot do. Do not send Assault Marines to provide cover support. Do not send Devastators to win assaults.

4. You don't have to move

It's not always a good idea to move your troops. If you're assaulting or moving across the table to secure objectives then by all means go for it. The main thing is that if you're pulled out of formation when you don't need to be, or your plan doesn't allow for it, you will be out-maneuvered.

5. Support, support, support!

Even the most powerful unit on the table will not last long if it is overwhelmed. I remember reading somewhere once that you should always send two units to do the job of one. That's good advice!

6. Have fun

The Golden Game Winning Tactic. Don't take it too seriously. It's not about winning, it's about telling a good story.

marv335
16-12-2005, 22:44
1. find out what your opponent is good at. then make sure he doesn't get to do it.
2. focus on the objective. i see many games lost because one player just wants to destroy the other.
3. target priority. (the genestealers that infiltrated are a more important target than the carnifex.) kill the fast assault units first.
4. selective assault. don't assault the rock hard assault units, shoot them. instead assault the weaker units where your assault troops will have an advantage.

The Dragon Reborn
16-12-2005, 23:23
I agree with ophidicus, knowing how far things are off, and charge distances is very important

Cherubael
16-12-2005, 23:28
Sheer luck mostly :D

Orbital
16-12-2005, 23:43
1 - Have a plan.

2 - Have, within that plan, a plan for every unit.

3 - Make sure that everything you do with every unit is part of that plan.

Can't say I agree with this. The first thing I heard when I started this game (and has held true ever since) was "No plan survives first contact with the enemy". Flexibility is more important than planning; that's what tactical thinking is all about.

Ophidicus
16-12-2005, 23:48
Snakebite's #6. Absolutely, you know your army's done it's job even if it was mauled, trampled and ground to a fine paste if you both had a damned good time playing. That's why they're there in the first place, right?

Orbital
16-12-2005, 23:48
There are these times when I totally tear the ass off my opponent. If you want to avoid guys like me knocking you into next week, note these reasons why I win:
1. The enemy doesn't know my army.
2. The enemy doesn't care to learn about my army (they just assume they'll figure it out).
3. The enemy fails to grab cover or think tactically.
4. The enemy has bad threat assessment (this ties into #1 & 2)
5. The enemy forgets the mission (focusing on killing me over grabbing objectives, for instance)
6. The enemy, for some reason, decides to hand me my victory points on a silver platter by bringing out units and vehicles he can't actually just because he can't bear to see them waiting patiently behind cover that blocks LOS.
7. The enemy forgets that they may not get first turn, and deploys unwisely.
8. The enemy tries to go in through the wall instead of the door (i.e. puts all their effort into shooting the super-tough front of my tank instead of spending some brain cycles trying to get behind it).

I can't tell you how many *slaughter* victories I've walked away with because of these mistakes. So when you ask "When do I win", the answer would (at least in part) be "When my enemy makes it easy".

brother_fandango
17-12-2005, 05:40
i usually just go with the moral victory thing. i play Deathwing, and well... it doesnt win much. bout 47% of the time. so... i just look at everything before the battle, with the prospect of Greater Deamons comming, and i pick an "alpha" target, a "beta" target, and somtimes an "omega prime" target. thus, i can say if i won or not by how much i killed. i never use this for actual percent wise, i put it under another catagory. my awesomeness winning ratio is 80%

Grand Warlord
17-12-2005, 06:07
For me Target Priority and overall objective. I have enough tactical marines to handle pretty much whatever is thrown at me ... as long as the dice god favors me ...