PDA

View Full Version : Starting LotR

huitzilopochtli
09-04-2009, 18:19
I need some advice. I've never played this game before but am eager to give it a go. I'd like to know what the best way to start is and how the game compares to fantasy. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,
H

Emissary
09-04-2009, 18:31
The game has elements of a lot of the other game systems. It's very similar to Warmaster.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=11400003 is a good place to start to see the basic rules.

The best thing to do is to read over that and pick one of the 10 Lord of the Rings Forces found here: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/landing.jsp?catId=cat1600016&rootCatGameStyle=lotr. Also, you can't pick the Forgotten Kingdoms as your main force.

Nu Fenix
09-04-2009, 19:33
When deciding how to start, I would say it is just like picking an army for Warhammer - What army do you like the look of, but also what style of play do you prefer?

Many armies have similar copies to Warhammer, so if you like using a horde, then Mordor and Misty Mountains are great choices. If you like lots of cavalry, then Rohan would be the top of the pick, although Gondor have some choices too. If you like casting lots of spells, then Evil are arguably best, as they can get alot of magic out for the price with Ringwraiths, but both good and evil have access to unique units of one large block of wizards.

huitzilopochtli
10-04-2009, 11:01
Thanks for your replies. I've read the quickstart rules and I'm confident I could manage a game with someone more experienced pointing me in the right direction. I'm still not sure how to go about building a force though.

I'm leaning towards the fallen realms and want to make an Easterling based force. Can you mix any of the units together, e.g. Easterling infantry and a Harad Mumak? And can you mix evil armies together, e.g. can you have a ringwraith as your character?

Thanks again.

Emissary
10-04-2009, 11:47
Thanks for your replies. I've read the quickstart rules and I'm confident I could manage a game with someone more experienced pointing me in the right direction. I'm still not sure how to go about building a force though.

I'm leaning towards the fallen realms and want to make an Easterling based force. Can you mix any of the units together, e.g. Easterling infantry and a Harad Mumak? And can you mix evil armies together, e.g. can you have a ringwraith as your character?

Thanks again.

Yes, yes and yes. When you pick a force (IE fallen realms) 75%+ of your total points must come from that force. The rest can come from your allies (mordor, isengard, misty mountains and angmar). The corsairs, easterlings, khandish, haradrim, serpent guard, black numenorean and mahud forces are all part of the fallen realms list so you can take any of them freely in your force without counting them as allies. You can take anything from the other forces that you want, but they can't total over 25% of your points.

Normally, the initial epic hero/legendary formation you pick to lead your army must come from your main force list. However, the following ringwraiths count as part of the fallen realms list and won't count towards your allies allotment and can lead the army: khamul the easterling, the knight of umbar, the betrayer, the undying, the shadow lord and the dark marshal (he also makes morgul knights and black numenoreans count as common formations). Note this only counts for the epic hero versions of those nazgul. If you take them as a winged nazgul they count as allies.

huitzilopochtli
10-04-2009, 14:17
Wehay, thanks Emissary. Just one last question, apart from the aforementioned 75%/25% composition, is there any restriction on how a force is built, (like the minimum 3 core in fantasy, a hero to lead etc.) and so could I create a small force out of just two boxes of easterlings and a character?

Emissary
10-04-2009, 14:23
The only for composition things are the rare/common formations. You can only have as many rare formations as you have common formations. IE, if you have 4 common formations you can only have up to 4 rare ones. Legendary formations aren't rare formations but you can only have one of each of them. Epic heroes are not subject to anything other then you can only have 1 of each.

For example, you could have 4 common formations, 4 rare formations, 2 different legendary formations and 2 different epic heroes in your army. You could not have 4 common and 5 rare formations. Also, allies and stuff don't matter for this other then the rare/common split. So you could have 5 common and 3 rare formations in your force then up to 2 rare formations from an allied list. You could also have 4 common formations and 5 rare formations and 1 common formation from an ally.

Odin
10-04-2009, 15:11
The only for composition things are the rare/common formations. You can only have as many rare formations as you have common formations. IE, if you have 4 common formations you can only have up to 4 rare ones. Legendary formations aren't rare formations but you can only have one of each of them. Epic heroes are not subject to anything other then you can only have 1 of each.

For example, you could have 4 common formations, 4 rare formations, 2 different legendary formations and 2 different epic heroes in your army. You could not have 4 common and 5 rare formations. Also, allies and stuff don't matter for this other then the rare/common split. So you could have 5 common and 3 rare formations in your force then up to 2 rare formations from an allied list. You could also have 4 common formations and 5 rare formations and 1 common formation from an ally.

Just to add a bit of clarification to that, you also can't take more rare companies than common companies. So if you have 2 common formations each 4 companies strong, you can have a maximum of 2 rare formations, with a maximum total of 8 rare companies in total.

lorelorn
10-04-2009, 23:56
Two boxes of easterlings will give you:

2 companies of easterling warriors

2 companies of easterling archers

1 company of easterling pike

These are all common formations, with multiple command company upgrade options.

IMO, you need 3-4 boxes of easterlings to get going with them in this game.

There is a thread elswhere on this page from a user called Stonehorse, where he posts a 750 easterling list, you might want to check that out too.

Nu Fenix
11-04-2009, 00:23
I went for 3 boxes to start with, so they were all 3 Company strong Formations, and 6 Kataphrakts with Khamul as my first character.

It allows 3 Formations of infantry for fighting, 2 for shooting, and some heavy stomping power from the cavalry.

From there, you have many directions you can go with them, such as getting that Mumak you mentioned ;)

huitzilopochtli
12-04-2009, 21:12
Thanks again everyone for your help. I'll probably have to get another box or two as mentioned, but right now one and the book will do. Thanks again for the advice.

Spider-pope
13-04-2009, 11:58
Just remember that while the book describes massive battles, you can start gaming straight away with just that first box, which isnt a bad idea since it will let you get a hang of the main rules before you have to worry about what your 20+ companies are doing.

EmperorNorton
14-04-2009, 08:59
I hope the OP doesn't mind me tagging along here.
I am as well thinking about starting LotR.
Years and years ago I bought the Two Towers starter set when it first came out, and I want to play Rohan. So I already have an old rulebook and several minis.
What else do I need? Is a new rulebook necessary or could I make do with the old one I have?
As for minis, I have 12 Riders, 12 Warrios and Theoden, Eowyn and Eomer (all mounted) and I want to pick up a Muster of Rohan box my FLGS still has lying around. Do I need anything beyond that?

undead
14-04-2009, 09:40
You need the the new Wotr book as its a new game entirely. Models wise you will probably want more as that would be a small force but it depends on the size of games you will play

Master Stark
14-04-2009, 10:41
I hope the OP doesn't mind me tagging along here.
I am as well thinking about starting LotR.
Years and years ago I bought the Two Towers starter set when it first came out, and I want to play Rohan. So I already have an old rulebook and several minis.
What else do I need? Is a new rulebook necessary or could I make do with the old one I have?
As for minis, I have 12 Riders, 12 Warrios and Theoden, Eowyn and Eomer (all mounted) and I want to pick up a Muster of Rohan box my FLGS still has lying around. Do I need anything beyond that?

For SBG, you can probably get away with the Two Towers book, since most of the rules are the same.

Will you be joining an existing group of LotR players? Because they will probably be using the updated rules which are a bit (though not much) different. As far as models go, you definately have enough to start the SBG, although some royal guard might be nice.

For WotR, you'll need the new book. It's an entirely different game.