PDA

View Full Version : Wood elf conversions

MSU
09-04-2009, 19:02
I am starting a wood elf army, as I need a break from the standard "run at your opponent and hack away" with daemons and warriors of chaos. I do like the models, however, I can't stand the wild riders. The models don't instill the "forest spirit" rules in my head and I'm not going to pay $50 for glorified glade riders.

My question is this: How would you feel playing against a WE army that used Centigors as the Wild Riders? They are still expensive, but they are much cooler "forest spirit" models. They would, at the very least be painted with the wood elf scheme. How much conversion would have to be done to sell it to you? I.e. Painting is fine, or add extra parts from dryads, or change the beastman heads.

Would you have any trouble understanding that they still are cavalry and have a rider and a mount and each part would get its attacks?

Any other ideas on what to do for conversions? Thanks for the input.

Nymie_the_Pooh
09-04-2009, 19:13
It really depends on who you are playing. Talk to them before the game and see if they are okay with it. If you plan on entering a tournament then you might want to bring actual Wild Riders or an alternate army list just in case. Personally, I would be fine with it as long as it fit the rest of the army (similar paint scheme and such) and wouldn't care about the fit for a straight up friendly game.

Boreas_NL
09-04-2009, 19:47
There should be no problem. I've seen Wild Riders converted from Elven Steeds (lower body) and Dryads (torso), thus creating (sort of) a centaur type unit... In friendly games they should do fine. In a tournament, they could give you some extra credit as cool conversions... I personally like it when an opponent brings some models which didn't came straight from the box.

Just make sure your opponent knows what he is facing and you should be fine.

Go for it!

The 2 Black Dragons
09-04-2009, 20:54
We had some beautiful conversions with normal size Stags, the unit looked great, with ivy, leaves and elfish rubes all over them

Charistoph
09-04-2009, 21:00
Anyone else getting flashbacks to Warcraft's Children of Cenarious?

I'd remove the ram horns on the models to make them a bit less Chaosy. Try to pretty up their spears. If you can somehow manage it, dear horns or branches in their hair would also help the look.

Jormi_Boced
09-04-2009, 21:11
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j42/Jormi_Boced/winter_we.jpg
I played against this army at Adepticon. He did the dryad horse conversion. It was a really nice looking army.

Watcher_in_the_Leaves
09-04-2009, 23:22
I believe there are quite a few similar such conversions that you can view if you take a trip over to asrai.org. I am planning some similar conversions for my army. Cheers,

Watcher

popisdead
09-04-2009, 23:27
Anything themed or rationally explained is fine. No one sane would have problems with a centaur style wild-rider.

Paint your models though ;)

slirgy
05-12-2011, 17:51
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j42/Jormi_Boced/winter_we.jpg
I played against this army at Adepticon. He did the dryad horse conversion. It was a really nice looking army.
out of interest did you win

Jormi_Boced
05-12-2011, 17:56
I did happen to win that game:)

cyberspite
05-12-2011, 18:46
I've seen some really nice wildrider conversions using the upper torsos of the dark eldar mandrakes instead of the wild rider ones, looked pretty cool to me

found them:http://asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21563

popisdead
07-12-2011, 17:16
My question is this: How would you feel playing against a WE army that used Centigors as the Wild Riders?

That's a common conversion, especially with Dryad tops.