PDA

View Full Version : Setting for world of darkness?

ironduke
16-12-2005, 14:26
So following discussion from the random musings thread, which should be developed into a fully playable setting for World of Darkness e.g. the three core settings e.g. Vampire: The Requiem, Werewolf: The Forsaken and Mage: The Awakening

In the poll there are 10 cities from western continental Europe, please vote on where you think would be more appropriate develop for use in these games and the reasons why

cheers ironduke

p.s. I apoligise in advance if you think there should be somewhere else there but i thought these would be the most appropriate

wanderingblade
16-12-2005, 15:39
Ok, I'm sorry because this will come across as being a dickwad, but I read the thread - and everyone involved was from the UK. How about sticking to something we know, say WoD Yorkshire or whatever? I can appreicate wanting to do a major city with history but at the same time... what use is that if you don't know it?

ironduke
16-12-2005, 16:37
Well the reason i dont want something in the UK is because its been done to death if you play in the Camarilla or do a simple search of the internet you will pull up several versions of vampire or werewolf or mage in the UK for places, especially York as thats where all the hardcore larpers play trust me.

The difference with a european city like Berlin or Paris or Amsterdam you have a city with a rich history but you still have the flexibility to bend or tweak things a little without worry.

Thats one of the reasons why i picked amsterdam because its a old city with a lot of history, it has a port and has a lot of potential when it comes to World of Darkness because its essentially a roleplay about darkness, horror and the story coupled with Requiem which is a social game with supernatural predators who spend a endless existence involved in the political games of the danse macabre. Forsaken with the spiritual side and the merger of the two worlds the fallen (ours essentially) and the spirit world (essentially a copy of ours but inhabited by spirits created from actions in the fallen world. And finally Mage a game of mystery and investigation. I believe it wouldn#t be achieved as well as it would over hear.

Hope that explains it enough

cheers ironduke

wanderingblade
19-12-2005, 01:05
Ok, thats a fairly solid explanation. Not that I have any particular thoughts at the moment...

Brother_McBeaner
19-12-2005, 03:54
Ok, I'm sorry because this will come across as being a dickwad, but I read the thread - and everyone involved was from the UK. How about sticking to something we know, say WoD Yorkshire or whatever? I can appreicate wanting to do a major city with history but at the same time... what use is that if you don't know it?

I'm from California, which is clearly not the UK. Also I have absolutely no knoledge about Yorkshire.

locutus
22-12-2005, 17:50
If you need a quickstarter for a background city, there's also the "Chicago by night" book which was just released, which is quite good :-)

http://secure1.white-wolf.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=702

Hlokk
02-01-2006, 23:13
I would like berlin for our nWoD setting.

Simply because there is a nice Ordo Dracul/Nazi reference in the Ghouls book, whereby a nazi vampire creates a ghoul bloodline. Imagine some of the stuff we can develop along those lines. Remember that the nWoD is nastier and grittier than most things you'll find in 40k.

Also, Perhaps a look at the reqiuem's development from the days of the Carmillia to the First/second and 3rd Reichs would be quite cool. I would also like certain key politicians to be ghouls and so forth. Also, we could make good use of the Predators book for Werewolf, describing some of the areas where the gauntlet has thinned and some of the spirits that have come pouring out. Especially if we were to make up an old SS headquarters or some secret Nazi war cabinet room, this could be a rich source of essence for players, but also be home to loads of war/violence driven spirits with obscure bans, who would make nasty opponenst but also cool tribal totems.

Having had an in-depth read of the chicago book, it really isnt what I expected. Rather than having 3 elements at war with each other, you have 3 elements (Vampire Prince, Mage Council and Uthara elders) keeping the peace and the veil down quite tightly. The prince has all these rules about "Thou shalt not kill another kindred" and "Do not embrace Childer", and the werewolves have some freaking huge spirit protecting the main train station.

So are we going to develop this for 1 book (Vampire/Mage/Werewolf) as that would seem to be a shame when we can do all three. The book also has a dark history that basically sets the scene for the city.

Just promise me that, whatever city we do, we can have either:

1: An ex prince who's just emerged from Torpor and wants his power back
2: Belials brood or
3: An unbound kindred uprising sometime during its history.

Pillx
02-01-2006, 23:56
There are a few sourcebooks for certain cities from what I recall. I haven't play WoD in 8+ years. If those don't give enough background info or help, one could always use the internet and look up tourist guides or something. This is one of the main advantages of Play By Post RPGs -the GM/Players are given time to do research and it's right there on hand.

I would have done multiple choices but since there wasn't that option, I chose Rome. Catacombs, gothic architecture, the seat of power of a major religion with something not very wholesome lurking in the shadows -intrique and conflict always threatenning to boil over and the need to keep it in check and contain it. It also provides an interesting angle for those who might want to play Hunters. Does the Church have something dirty to hide maybe? Mix in some elements of an Illuminati, Da Vinci Code thing? The potential human factions alone would make this place loads of fun....

ironduke
03-01-2006, 11:06
Just promise me that, whatever city we do, we can have either:

1: An ex prince who's just emerged from Torpor and wants his power back
2: Belials brood or
3: An unbound kindred uprising sometime during its history.

well this is kinda what the antagonists for vampire are you have the anarchists "belials brood" the oppressed "the unbound", the looming threat of something older and more powerful than you. Its what makes up the eternal danse macabre.

On question you have to ask is do we want the three venues to mesh or do you want them to be in eternal conflict becaus i think a happy median will work out well what do you think?

Hlokk
03-01-2006, 22:59
I think your right with the happy medium idea. I like the idea of hostile neighbours who dont smack the crap out of each other just to keep the veil clamped firmly down.

Perhaps something like this:

Kindred are the dominant WoD race in the city, however, the prince found himself dragged into forging an alliance with the tribes of the moon, after a series of skirmishes with the Pure tribes threatened to bring attention to the supernatural events in and around the city.

However, the kindred hold Elisium at one key location in the city, which is valued as a wymns nest by the Ordo Dracul and as a massive source of essence by the Forsaken. This has lead to a recent upscaling of force on both sides. while neither side has had the balls to make an agressive move, and the location remains firmly in the hands of the kindred, the Prince has tasked several Coatiaries to assault key forsaken locations. This has led to severl skirmishes and increasing number of pure tribe assaults on both races.

Mages on the other hand, appear to be out to **** everyone off. Although the ruling council of Mages assure the prince that their intentions are simply to exist peicefuly within the city, the truth is that the council is fairly powerless. One random group appear to be attempting to bring down the gauntlet in order to access the spirit world. Another seek to find the spear of destiny, which they were reliably informed, a clue to its location lies in the city, the leader of this group seems to also know theban sorcery.

something along those lines. Neighbours that dont really get along, and each pretty much do their own thing, but theres an escallation of force on all sides which looks to spill out of control at any second.

@Philix: There are currently 4 location books available for nWoD: Boston, New Orleans, The Rockies and Chicago, however, Only Chicago has the scope and the bredth to cover all three races.

ironduke
06-01-2006, 15:03
It all seems a bit to much dams about to burst to me Hlokk. It seems fine but i could see pcs take it over the brink into outright war where to be honest certain groups will be at a disadvantage and others will not.

Id prefer it to be at an earlier stage of escalation if you understand me e.g. potential for escalation but further down the pipeline depending on pcs actions.

world of darkness is very much a game of the unknown of horror.

You have the vampires paranoia, werewolves fear of being revealed and the mages fear of backlash of paradox

anyway im opening up a new thread with the top poll winners so we can actually pick a definite one.

cheers ironduke