PDA

View Full Version : [WOTR] 1500pts Galadhrim Army

Waaagh Grignak
09-04-2009, 20:27
Hi Guys!

My gaming club is going to get into wotr, a lot of my mates already have a load of figs from playing the SBG but i never got into it.

Ive always been a fan of the lotr elves, so i felt they would be a natural choice to field!

This is the trial list ive come up with to start me off:

1 Celebron - 175pts
1 Galadriel - 175pts

4 Galadhrim Companies + Shields + Cap/Stand - 285pts
4 Galadhrim Companies + Shields + Cap/Stand - 285pts
3 Galadhrim Archer Companies - 150pts

3 Galadhrim Knight Companies + Shields + Cap/Stand - 235pts

3 Haldir's Elves Companies - 195pts

I dont own a single fig yet so im completely open to critique!

Nu Fenix
09-04-2009, 20:59
I don't know much about Good armies, but I will offer you what little insight I have so far.

The price of your Formation of Haldir's Elves is incorrect. They would be an extra 50 points to what you have so far, as the base 95 points you pay doesn't include the first company, merely the command and the value of the special rules. So, for 3 Companies that Formation would cost 245 points, so you will need to find 50 points or trim the unit down by 1 Company.

Which company is Celeborn with? I assume one of the Galadrim Companies, but there is always the option you convert up a version to be mounted and join the Knights.

I still feel amazed looking at how expensive in points Elves are! I'm too used to looking at Orcs and other Evil units.

takaetun
10-04-2009, 03:57
They would be an extra 50 points to what you have so far, as the base 95 points you pay doesn't include the first company, merely the command and the value of the special rules.

Have we checked that? I haven't found that in the book, but on the other hand I haven't been looking.

tabletopnews
10-04-2009, 04:54
The price of your Formation of Haldir's Elves is incorrect. They would be an extra 50 points to what you have so far, as the base 95 points you pay doesn't include the first company, merely the command and the value of the special rules.

The 95 point is for the first company and it includes Haldir, a Hornblower and a Banner Bearer in the base cost.

All Legendary formations are, IIRC, priced in the same manner

Waaagh Grignak
10-04-2009, 07:56
Thats what how i read it, that the inital cost was a complete company

Jorgen_CAB
10-04-2009, 08:15
In my opinion any elite force(which all elves are) works better in small units of 3 sometimes 2 companies. They are expensive and they need to narrow its frontage to reduce the damage taken in a fight against larger formations. This way they can maximize their strength in getting allot of attacks from each company and win the fight. They break their opponent and then charge them while they are disorganized.
With smaller formation you usually can afford more of them and get more might points as well as a tactical advantage. If you play in large enough games then bringing the companies up to a bigger size might be useful, but I still would by more of them to get a tactical advantage instead.

My rule of thumb is to stick as much important command as i need in my units but never more than a total of 40% of the formations points cost (excluding spell caster and epic heroes). That seem to be a good ratio for bringing command figures.

Waaagh Grignak
10-04-2009, 08:23
Sound

Do you reckon drop 2 companies of galadhrim warriors and maybe galadriel to buy more troops?

Another 3 Galadhrim Compnies + Shields + Cap/Stand for 235pts? That would leave 40

Lotoc_Sabbath
10-04-2009, 08:47
fabulous army dude!

maybe u could fit in 2 ents or gandalf and that would be the best thing.

and for being curious how do u pretend to do your Galadhrim with shields?

Waaagh Grignak
10-04-2009, 08:59
fabulous army dude!

maybe u could fit in 2 ents or gandalf and that would be the best thing.

and for being curious how do u pretend to do your Galadhrim with shields?

Cheers!

I want to field pure galadhrim to start, then expand to include forces from Rivendell and Fangorn etc

As for the shields, im hoping that the plastic galadhrim in june will have shield options, otherwise im not sure? Maybe some wfb high elf shields?

phoenixshroud
10-04-2009, 11:55
Cheers!

I want to field pure galadhrim to start, then expand to include forces from Rivendell and Fangorn etc

As for the shields, im hoping that the plastic galadhrim in june will have shield options, otherwise im not sure? Maybe some wfb high elf shields?

There will be shields included in the plastic Galadhrim boxset out in June, it is just a case of how many are in there.

From what most GW staffers have told me it looks like it will compose of 8 archers, 8 w/glaives, 8 w/glaive/shield. High Elf shields will work but I am pretty sure they are not available on the GW website as bitz any more.

Galadriel is excellent for restoring might to other heroes, especially as she gets her first epic action free each turn.

I have been using her with a formation of 4 companies of Galadhrim w/command with great success so far, thanks to her magical abilities increasing the chance of the enemy failing their terror tests.

Pathfinders combined with at the double! is lethal for catching out enemy formations that have had to alter its frontage to avoid being bogged down in terrain.

Only yesterday I was able to flank charge a full strength Warg Rider formation on the first turn doing this. One fight phase later, there was only the command company remaining!

Jorgen_CAB
10-04-2009, 11:55
Remember that archers benefit very well from captains and horn blowers. A Captain could make them move on the double and shoot in the same turn. Very good when you have a basic move at 9 inches.

I say that you should experiment and that most basic elven unit works best in sizes of three companies and elite elves in formation with two companies.

I would field the Galadhrim Regiments in blocks of three regiments all with full command (might drop the horn blower though if points are running low), including the archers. You might test some formations of two Galadhrim regiments where you only have a captain. These would be used for either protecting the flank or flank your opponent. I also heard something about pike armed Galadhrim, those would be perfect as flank protection.

I think that you should test and at least give yourself some tactical options from game to game. Test some games with larger formations and some with smaller and see what fits your style best.

Arhalien
10-04-2009, 12:41
From what most GW staffers have told me it looks like it will compose of 8 archers, 8 w/glaives, 8 w/glaive/shield. High Elf shields will work but I am pretty sure they are not available on the GW website as bitz any more.

The Warhammer Fantasy High Elf shields (which the OP was talking about) are still available for order: a friend has just bought about 24 of the things for his Vampire army. However, they are very thick shields, and I don't think they'd fit particularly well on the smaller scale LotR models.

Also, I think that the models with shields in the upcoming Galadhrim box have spears, or at least they looked like they were spears in the pictures from the design studio open day: I'd post a link, but the page that I found all the pictures on (on Heresy Online) doesn't seem to be available anymore for some reason.

Nu Fenix
10-04-2009, 19:57
The 95 point is for the first company and it includes Haldir, a Hornblower and a Banner Bearer in the base cost.

All Legendary formations are, IIRC, priced in the same manner

Then Legendary Formations are much better value then I could ever expect!
95 Points gives you a company [50], a Hornblower [15], a Banner [35] and Haldir with his Take Aim! ability.
That means Haldir is -5 points! That is the best value hero I have ever seen!

That is why I assumed you pay for the Companies, plus the extra cost for what makes them Legendary, as having Haldir worth 45 points is still a bargain.

Sarah S
10-04-2009, 20:06
It's not true. Look at every example in the rulebook, and every example posted online by GW.

In every single case the cost for the first company is X+Y.
From the rulebook:
3 companies of Sharku's Hunters with bows on p.16 for 165 points.
3 companies of Ugluk's Raiders on p.16 for 205 points.
6 companies of Erkenbrad's Riders on p.17 for 355 points.
4 Companies of Rivendell Guard here for 385 points:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=&pIndex=4&aId=15100007&start=5

Also, look at it this way, the entire cost of your formation will be
X + Y per company

So if you take, say, 4 companies of Rivendell Guard, the unit's cost will be:
125 points + 65 points per company (with 4 companies)

That's 385 points.

Note that the unit entries don't say "+65 points per company after the first" or "+65 points per additional company". It simply says "+65 points per company."

If you have 4 companies, then you had better have paid 65 points per company in addition to their special cost.

Edit:
Note that I realize that GW examples on web and in books have been wrong before, but in this case they are perfectly in keeping with the letter of the rule by stating the additional cost to be "per company" and not "per additional company" or "per company after the first."

Lacking any such language will mean that the rule must be interpreted as above, and the examples in this case all point to the same conclusion.

Emissary
10-04-2009, 20:23
I agree with Sarah. Looking at her examples and the book she has it spot on.

Waaagh Grignak
10-04-2009, 20:26
Denied! Looks like i need to do some recosting!

Sarah S
10-04-2009, 20:28
It's the only sensible solution really, otherwise the Legendary Formations are all significantly cheaper than their nearest equivalents, often with many bonuses!

Note that Haldir's Elves are still a steal compared to Galhadrim, as 3 Companies of Galadhrim Archers with full command are 250 points, while 3 companies of Haldir's Elves, even when correctly priced, are only 245.

Waaagh Grignak
10-04-2009, 20:32
True, true... least its less toys to buy :)

Waaagh Grignak
12-04-2009, 18:50
Right, with recomendations from you guys this is the list im going to bring war to my gaming club:

1 Celebron - 175pts
1 Galadriel - 175pts

3 Galadhrim Companies + Shields + Cap/Stand - 235pts
3 Galadhrim Companies + Shields + Cap/Stand - 235pts
2 Galadhrim Archer Companies - 100pts
2 Galadhrim Archer Companies - 100pts

3 Galadhrim Knight Companies + Shields + Cap/Stand - 235pts

3 Haldir's Elves Companies - 245pts