PDA

View Full Version : Close combat Magical Weapons and other hidden powers

LKHERO
09-04-2009, 20:53
Let's compile a small database on all the special characters, Lord/Hero weapon combinations, anything magical and mystical that could seriously hurt your army once they get up close and personal. Make sure to include a brief explaination of what the items do.

That way we can look across the field, see an enemy model and know exactly what he's most likely packing.

For example:

I see a Prince on Star Dragon. He might be backing a Star Lance. S7 on the charge, no armor saves.
A Oldblood on Carnasaur could possibly pack a Blade of Realities. Each hit inflicted, you must pass an unmodified leadership test or die outright.
Dark Elf Dreadlord could possibly have Crimson Death. S6 unalterable weapon.
A Vampire Lord on a Dreadsteed with Dread Lance. S7 on the charge that hits automatically.

There are tons of stuff out there, so I would expect this to fill up a lot.

This should also include abilities and hidden vices that could aide to the destruction of your forces:

A Vampire Lord with Dread Lance + Red Fury. S7 on the charge, all hits hit automatically and each wound inflicted means you automatically make another attack (S7, auto-hit).
A Bloodthirster with Firestorm Blade + Axe of Khorne + Immortal Fury. S7 Flaming Killing Blow attacks with re-roll all Misses.

What are some of the scariest stuff you've faced? Try and keep this as close combat orientated as possible!!!

Tizz
09-04-2009, 21:01
Dreadlord with Executioners Axe (givin he has to be with ASF Black Guard to be effective) can be a pretty scary thing

Edit
09-04-2009, 21:05
Skaven Warlord - Felblade (str10 D6 wounds)

LKHERO
09-04-2009, 21:08
Skaven Warlord - Felblade (str10 D6 wounds)

Woah... seriously? That's a pretty serious weapon. Any drawbacks to such a beast?

MarcoPollo
09-04-2009, 21:10
Herald of Slaanesh -- Siren Song (makes an enemy unit make a charge move).

Herald of Khorne on Juggernaught -- Armor of Khorne (0+ armor save), firestorm blade (st 7 flaming).

Herald of Nurgle on Panaquin -- noxious vapours (enemy in contact strikes last).

Plus you can carbon copy these guys in the same army.

Jormi_Boced
09-04-2009, 21:13
Lizards have the Hornet Sword that gives the character ASF, so you get the charge and think you are going to clean up, but you get killed first:)

Lord Inquisitor
09-04-2009, 21:16
Lizards have the Hornet Sword that gives the character ASF, so you get the charge and think you are going to clean up, but you get killed first:)

But everybody gets ASF these days. Doesn't work all that well against High Elves or Daemons!

Malorian
09-04-2009, 21:22
Woah... seriously? That's a pretty serious weapon. Any drawbacks to such a beast?

I think it's at the end of each turn you roll a dice and on a 1 or 2 you take a wound with no armor saves.

The typical combo is this and a 6+ ward for the 100 point allowance.

Spirit
09-04-2009, 21:31
I think it's at the end of each turn you roll a dice and on a 1 or 2 you take a wound with no armor saves.

The typical combo is this and a 6+ ward for the 100 point allowance.

Your exactly right, have to face this combo every time i play my cousin's skaven.

Its even more annoying than it looks because he has so many units, he guarantees to be able to set up his heros after my entire army, so he can face off directly against my biggest, juiciest target.

Saw him flank a treeman with annoyance of nettlings. one hit, dead treeman. Nasty.

Spirit
09-04-2009, 21:34
Not sure if this counts, but my favourite in recent games has been a slann + 3 terradons.

the terradons fly behind a large unit turn 2, my slann uses his spells to guarantee enough magic to cause a panic check on the unit, then uses a power stone right at the end of the magic phase to make the panic check -3

Dead unit. Works rather well.

My other favourite on a slann is banehead + lore of metal/death. Target their battle standard bearer and watch them weep as he dies to a 5+/7+ spell.

Classical Mushroom
09-04-2009, 22:03

Well Nagash sure as hell won't like you :p also costs 85pts. As the others have said you roll every turn and on a roll of 1 or 2 you take a wound with no armor save allowed. Fair deal if you ask me :)

Iv always liked Vampire Lord with the Balefire spike, Red fury, Infinite Hatred, Dread Knight.

Spirit
09-04-2009, 22:26
Why waste points for magical flaming attacks? It very rarely makes a difference unless your killing a treeman.

Classical Mushroom
09-04-2009, 23:09
Why waste points for magical flaming attacks? It very rarely makes a difference unless your killing a treeman.

Regen has been popping up a lot around my area plus its only 10pts so iv got more pts to take other items that will offer better protection for my lord. And im hitting on 3+ most of the time with re-rolls its almost as good as Dreadlance and its cheaper. :)

Shamfrit
09-04-2009, 23:14
Vampire Lord
Forbidden Lore
Accursed Armour
4+ Ward, Talisman depending.
Eternal Hatred

Toughness 7, STR7, 7 aattacks at WS4 but with permanent re-rolls to hit.

Nasty nast nasty!

eyeolas
09-04-2009, 23:18
Skink fighty character on stegadon, lets face it, he's gunna have the extra impact hits weapon

kardar233
09-04-2009, 23:26
Meanest Vamp Lord combo I've seen is:

Vamp Lord:
Level 3 upgrade (for extra Dispel Dice)
Red Fury (when causes wound, extra attack, only first time)
Infinite Hatred (for Zombie Dragon)
Beguile (Take LD-test at -3 or reroll wounds)
Dreadlance (Autohitting lance)
Wristbands of Black Gold (3+ ward save vs ranged)
Cadaverous Cuirass (immune to KB/Poison, good vs ASF assassins)
Zombie Dragon

Comes out to be 750-odd points. An absolute monster. He's a terror-causing flyer with 4S7 auto-hit (almost always) rerolling wounds attacks gaining an attack for each wound dealt, on top of the 5-6 S6 rerolling hits attacks from the Dragon, and if somehow someone manages to strike back he's WS7 -1 to hit and T5, so most will be hitting on 6s, and he's immune to Killing Blow. Occasionally someone drops the Wristbands and Cuirass for the Cursed Book when Bloodthirster-hunting, as for the first round of combat the Thirster will only hit on 6s as his WS is reduced to 1.

Also: Konrad. A 5-attack rerolling hit double-wound Hero who gets an extra attack for every wound he deals, and has been FAQ'd so that the double wounds are applied to the extra attacks. It's possible, were he in a unit with the banner that gives flaming attacks, for him to deal 100 wounds on a flammable enemy, and can deal 30 under normal circumstances. Only 140pts.

Watch out for Kholek Suneater: He has M8, 8 wounds, T6, 8 attacks at S8 that cause D3 wounds, and a D6 S6 auto-hit shooting attack. I ran the numbers, and he'll eat ANY combat character in the game, including Archaeon, Orion, 6th ed Tyrion, Kroq-Gar and Grimgor. 605pts.

Also, Valkia is pretty nice. On the charge (which she will get, as she flies), she has 6 S7 AP Killing Blow attacks, all enemy models in base contact lose 1 attack, and those that get through her WS9 have their Strength reduced by 1 and then have to contend with a 2+ armour save. 410pts.

While a bit expensive for a character assassin, at 425pts, Sigvald the Magnificent is excellent at that role, having 7 WS8 S5 ASF I8 attacks, a 1+ armour save and Regeneration, and is quite helpful to the rest of his army because of his Stubborn Ld10 and he, and any unit he is in, gains the ability to always march and treat difficult and very difficult terrain as open ground.

That's what I have to offer for today. It's kind of limited, but hey, I tried.

Dexter099
10-04-2009, 03:40
The ultimate character killer is a Chaos Lord: Mark of Tzeentch, Aethersword, Chaos Runeshield, Barded Chaos Steed, Word of Agony.

Not only does he have a 1+/6+ save, but you will never get any kind of save against him, since your ward saves will be negated by his runeshield and your armor saves negated by the Aethersword. The Chaos Runeshield also means that he can't be killing blowed since all magical weapons become worthless in its presence. The Word of Agony makes him Assassin proof, and can bring a quick demise to a Vampire Lord.

danny-d-b
10-04-2009, 07:17
The ultimate character killer is a Chaos Lord: Mark of Tzeentch, Aethersword, Chaos Runeshield, Barded Chaos Steed, Word of Agony.

Not only does he have a 1+/6+ save, but you will never get any kind of save against him, since your ward saves will be negated by his runeshield and your armor saves negated by the Aethersword. The Chaos Runeshield also means that he can't be killing blowed since all magical weapons become worthless in its presence. The Word of Agony makes him Assassin proof, and can bring a quick demise to a Vampire Lord.

erm- runeshield only negates magic weapons, not wardsaves! (unless there is some weapon that gives a ward save?)

ICEMANQ
10-04-2009, 07:24
Dark elf dreadlord with the potion of strength and the hydra blade. On a chosen turn he gets+3 strength (one use only) and a possibly 7 strength seven attacks all up. Great for wiping out knight units or buff infantry blocks.

Von Wibble
10-04-2009, 10:23
Your exactly right, have to face this combo every time i play my cousin's skaven.

Its even more annoying than it looks because he has so many units, he guarantees to be able to set up his heros after my entire army, so he can face off directly against my biggest, juiciest target.

Saw him flank a treeman with annoyance of nettlings. one hit, dead treeman. Nasty.

Are you sure you have the right setup rules? I always thought heroes were placed by both armies at the same time, after all units had been placed. Meaning he can't position himself to attack an Ancient, as he doesn't know where it is.

Personally I like the High Elf Prince with Sword of Hoeth and Taslisman of Loec.

Classical Mushroom - Balefire Spike vs High Elves otoh a bad idea. It just pings off Dragon armour.

Mercules
10-04-2009, 11:07
Are you sure you have the right setup rules? I always thought heroes were placed by both armies at the same time, after all units had been placed. Meaning he can't position himself to attack an Ancient, as he doesn't know where it is.

Nope... You simply place YOUR characters all at once as YOUR last unit. You opponent could still be placing units or have had to place his characters as his last unit previous to you finish off with normal units.

Obviously characters with the Scout rule get placed when Scouts do and not during this part.

What? No one is going to list the classic Alter Noble with Hail of Doom Arrow and Helm of the Hunt with a simple Greatweapon?
Move 9" fire the HoDA. Charge 18" with 5 WS7 S6 attacks. He has been known to route units by himself.:D

_Kalas_
10-04-2009, 11:38
chaos lord, mark of khorne, jaggernaught, demon sword, enchanted shield.

-1 Armour Save
7-10 attacks with S 6-8
3 attacks of jagger WS5 S5

not bad ;)

Classical Mushroom
10-04-2009, 18:19
Classical Mushroom - Balefire Spike vs High Elves otoh a bad idea. It just pings off Dragon armour.

Not really he can have a cup of Tea and look :cool: while 5 Blood Knights and Vampire kill them God Bless underlings. Also its more for an all comer list eg tournaments that kind of thing :)

SiNNiX
10-04-2009, 20:00
My personal favorite: Dwarf Defense Lord.

Dwarf Lord.
-Shield Bearers
This gives him US3 making him immune to Killing Blow. It also increases his armour save by +2 giving him an automatic 2+ armour save. Finally, it gives him an additional 2x WS5 S4 attacks. He does not count as a larger target than the unit he's with.
-Shield
Increases his armour save to 1+.
-Master Rune of Steel
Any attacks against the bearer of this rune greater than Strength 5 count as Strength 5. Not only does this mean that your lord will never be wounded on anything better than a 4+, but it also means that your armour save will never be worse than a 3+.
-Rune of Resistance
The bearer of this rune may reroll any failed armour saves. This gives you a 1+ rerollable armour save that can't be decreased beyond 3+.
-Master Rune of Spite
4+ Ward Save.
-Rune of Burning
This weapon has flaming attacks.

So now you're looking at a lord who has US3, immune to killing blow, 2x additional WS5 S4 attacks, 1+ rerollable armour save, 4+ ward save, flaming attacks and can't be wounded on better than a 4+, armour save can't be decreased past a 3+. This character's only weakness is stuff that allows no armour saves, but from what I've seen in tournaments lately, people no longer take those kind of items and instead have been taking high strength magic items and rely on the Strength to get rid of the armour. If that's the case, you're in pretty good hands.

Another option you have instead of taking flaming attacks is to increase your Lord's Initiative by 1, giving him I5. The point of this being to better his chances against pesky Innitiatve Tests that could outright slay him. I would take flaming just because of the incredible ammount of people who take regen these days.

SiNNiX
10-04-2009, 20:02
What? No one is going to list the classic Alter Noble with Hail of Doom Arrow and Helm of the Hunt with a simple Greatweapon?
Move 9" fire the HoDA. Charge 18" with 5 WS7 S6 attacks. He has been known to route units by himself.:D

Guilty as charged... I used to use this exact combination lol.

LKHERO
10-04-2009, 20:32
For the Dwarf Lord, why not just +RoStone w/ Great Weapon :D S6 is sooo much better than S4.

Classical Mushroom
10-04-2009, 20:45
For the Dwarf Lord, why not just +RoStone w/ Great Weapon :D S6 is sooo much better than S4.

But then he would have to lose either MRoS with is better than str5 is str5 , RoR re-roll armor saves or RoP which makes him immune to KB and poison. ;)

I agree tho hes not a heavy hitter so he not going to be kill many Lords and Heroes. But its going to take a lot to take that Beardy git down :p

LKHERO
10-04-2009, 21:06
Am I missing something? You have room for RoStone if you take MRoSteel, MroSpite and RoResistance. I don't have my book with me.. but I believe the Dwarf Lord can take 125 points worth of stuff and those items add up to 125 exactly.

With a 1+ re-rollable and 4+ Ward that can't be KB'd because you're US3, why would you need RoP unless you're fighting something like Skulltaker?

Classical Mushroom
10-04-2009, 21:16
Am I missing something? You have room for RoStone if you take MRoSteel, MroSpite and RoResistance.

With a 1+ re-rollable and 4+ Ward that can't be KB'd because you're US3, why would you need RoP unless you're fighting something like Skulltaker?

Thats a good point i didn't see that. Tho i presume it must have been FAQ'd if not then yeah you don't need RoP :p

SiNNiX
10-04-2009, 22:55
Thats a good point i didn't see that. Tho i presume it must have been FAQ'd if not then yeah you don't need RoP :p

Lol that's exactly what I pointed out in my post. But anyway, you can definately take a Rune of Stone with a Great Weapon if that's your thing. I like taking shield just in case they destroy your armour which alot of characters like to do but taking a Great Weapon against most armies isn't a bad idea at all. It's all preference.

Classical Mushroom
10-04-2009, 23:10
Lol that's exactly what I pointed out in my post. But anyway, you can definately take a Rune of Stone with a Great Weapon if that's your thing. I like taking shield just in case they destroy your armour which alot of characters like to do but taking a Great Weapon against most armies isn't a bad idea at all. It's all preference.

Oh dear lord I'm getting old my eye sight is crap. there was a time I loved my Dwarfs and knew everything about them alas it is no more :cries: has been a few years since iv used em so don't hurt me :p

LKHERO
10-04-2009, 23:33
I like taking shield just in case they destroy your armour which alot of characters like to do but taking a Great Weapon against most armies isn't a bad idea at all.

Which characters do you normally fight that destroys armor? The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Thorek, and since when did he fight anyone in CC.

Goruax
10-04-2009, 23:37
And Malekith.
But yeah, there are very few items that actually destroy your armour, or ignore it.

Jack of Blades
12-04-2009, 23:10
Vampire Lord

Power Stone
Nightshroud
Crown of the Damned
Cursed Book
Forbidden Lore; Lore of Fire
Red Fury
Nightmare

He's got +2 power dice once to help him cast FSoR, enemies targeting him lose all charging bonuses, lose ASF and have their Initiative reduced to 1 so he will always strike first against other characters when they target him, except if they make him strike last. He also has a 4+ Ward Save and can make his enemies hit him at WS1 for one round (the latter working quite the charm against for example lance-like items). Red Fury gives him one extra attack for every unsaved wound he causes, allowing him to potentially double his attacks. Flaming Sword of Rhuin is what makes the combination. If you can get it off, your Lord will hit on a 2+ unless modified with -to hit as he no longer uses his own WS to hit and strike at S8 with 5 Flaming attacks.

If you want to put a bigger cherry ontop than what you're already doing, put him on either a Zombie Dragon or get a BSB with the Drakenhof Banner to join the same unit. The first will aside from mounting him on a ZD, make enemies hit him at -1 as well (comboed with the Cursed Book this becomes 6's to hit for a round), while the latter recreates the Carstein Ring of old (4+ Ward and Regeneration). If you won't have a combat character which can counter him, or you for some reason cannot dispel FSoR or had to let it through, then a Drakenhof Wight BSB + above Lord + Black Knights + Banner of the Dead Legion + Champion to accept challenges you don't want to take with your characters, is one of the most seriously destructive, mobile and yet surviveable units you can create. 5 BKs with Champion, Standard and BotDL plus Drakenhof Wight BSB and the Lord comes out at 872 points, 632 without BSB and 575 without either Champion nor Standard+BotDL.

Tae
12-04-2009, 23:48
It's not the most overpowered of combinations, and he'll probably end up getting smacked quite hard more often than not, but I simply love my Chaos Lord with his Father of Blades and Armour of Damnation combination.

Must re-roll all successful rolls to hit against him, and any rolls of 1 hit against him hit the attacker instead. Nothing more amusing than watching a Bloodthirster smack himself in the head, or Grimgor's axe imbedding it in his own head :)

Spirit
13-04-2009, 00:40
Vampire Lord

Power Stone
Nightshroud
Crown of the Damned
Cursed Book
Forbidden Lore; Lore of Fire
Red Fury
Nightmare

He's got +2 power dice once to help him cast FSoR, enemies targeting him lose all charging bonuses, lose ASF and have their Initiative reduced to 1 so he will always strike first against other characters when they target him, except if they make him strike last. He also has a 4+ Ward Save and can make his enemies hit him at WS1 for one round (the latter working quite the charm against for example lance-like items). Red Fury gives him one extra attack for every unsaved wound he causes, allowing him to potentially double his attacks. Flaming Sword of Rhuin is what makes the combination. If you can get it off, your Lord will hit on a 2+ unless modified with -to hit as he no longer uses his own WS to hit and strike at S8 with 5 Flaming attacks.

If you want to put a bigger cherry ontop than what you're already doing, put him on either a Zombie Dragon or get a BSB with the Drakenhof Banner to join the same unit. The first will aside from mounting him on a ZD, make enemies hit him at -1 as well (comboed with the Cursed Book this becomes 6's to hit for a round), while the latter recreates the Carstein Ring of old (4+ Ward and Regeneration). If you won't have a combat character which can counter him, or you for some reason cannot dispel FSoR or had to let it through, then a Drakenhof Wight BSB + above Lord + Black Knights + Banner of the Dead Legion + Champion to accept challenges you don't want to take with your characters, is one of the most seriously destructive, mobile and yet surviveable units you can create. 5 BKs with Champion, Standard and BotDL plus Drakenhof Wight BSB and the Lord comes out at 872 points, 632 without BSB and 575 without either Champion nor Standard+BotDL.

Problem with this is that is is useless if you are charged, because the enemy has a whole magic phase to dispell a 5+ rip spell. Obviously a dragon negates this but i dislike characters with an "if" factor.

Jack of Blades
13-04-2009, 00:45
Problem with this is that is is useless if you are charged, because the enemy has a whole magic phase to dispell a 5+ rip spell. Obviously a dragon negates this but i dislike characters with an "if" factor.

Yeah, I don't consider that combination reliable at all either, but when it does work it really works. In all honesty, I also dislike characters that rely on an ''if'' factor (unless it's not a huge ''if'' factor, which FSoR sadly is), they're fun as sidekicks and such. But since no one else had pointed this character out, I had to do it :)

SiNNiX
13-04-2009, 00:58
Which is exactly why the Dwarf Lord rules! It doesn't kill, but it doesn't DIE! But I'd never take it though lol. Just humors me.

Classical Mushroom
13-04-2009, 01:34
Which is exactly why the Dwarf Lord rules! It doesn't kill, but it doesn't DIE! But I'd never take it though lol. Just humors me.

So if you where to make a Killy dwarf lord how would you outfit him? I'll pay attention this time so i don't end up looking like a prat :p

John Vaughan
13-04-2009, 02:11
My personal favorite to run:

Wood Elf Highborn
=Wardancer Kindred
-Wardancer Weapons
-Annoyance of Netlings
-Amber Pendant

He is just all around nasty for assassinating pesky characters. On the charge: 5 S5 attacks at WS 7, reroll wounds with KB. Its LOADS of fun. Plus, he always will strike first.

SiNNiX
13-04-2009, 03:10
So if you where to make a Killy dwarf lord how would you outfit him? I'll pay attention this time so i don't end up looking like a prat :p

Well I would never really do this, but if I had to, I would probably do the following:

Runic Weapon:
-Master Rune of Smiting (wounds multiply into D6 wounds) 70
-Rune of Cleaving (+1 Strength) 20
-Rune of Might (double Strength against Toughness 5 or higher) 25
Runic Armour:
-Rune of Stone (+1 Armour Save) 5

This would USUALLY give you 4x S10 attacks that multiply into D6 wounds and a 2+ armour save in close combat or a 1+ if on shieldbearers (which you could then get rid of the Rune of Stone). Or, you could get rid of Master Rune of Smiting and take Master Rune of Swiftness. This would give you 4x S5 attacks (S10 against T5 and higher) and ASF. That would also free up 45 points for a Master Rune of Spite (4+ Ward Save) which would be better.

Like I said, however, I would never take an offensive Lord as a Runelord is usually better because of the DD he provides and anti-magic runes he can take (Master Rune of Balance, Spelleater Rune, etc.)

LKHERO
21-04-2009, 19:04
Bretonnian Lord w/ Virtue of Confidence, Lance of Artosis, Armour of Agiluf, Gauntlet of the Duel, on Barded steed.

He re-rolls all hits and wounds in a challenge that can't be refused with WS10 S6 4 attacks with KB on the charge.

Witchblade
21-04-2009, 19:57
Hidden DE assassin with venomsword. ASF 4 attacks at WS 9 with hatred. If you take a wound, you must take a toughness test at 2d6 or lose all remaining wounds. Nasty surprise, although arguably not point economical.

moose
21-04-2009, 20:20
Tomb King - Destoyer of Eternities/Collar of Shapesh combo

2 insta-hit S7 Killing Blowing hits on every enemy model in base to base contact, or 4 normal attacks at WS6. This special attack can also be used in the magic phase (per faq) if you get the spell off too.

Also he passes all wounds onto any nearby friendly model on a 4+.

Rocking.

Moose.