PDA

View Full Version : Working on WOC 2250 for future competitive play

dshavers
09-04-2009, 21:54
This is my first go at making a 2250 point army list. It will be a while before I play a game with this many points, but it's bound to happen sooner than later. I'm trying to compensate for the lack of shooting by having my sorcerers deal out the long range damage. I still have a few points to spare so any advice or criticism would be much appreciated. I have in my possession another unit of knights and a giant that I couldn't quite fit into this list. I'm wondering also if it would be beneficial to run my exhaulted and sorcerer on steed with the knights.

Chaos Sorcerer of Tzeentch 201
General
Magic Level 2
Rod of Torment
Chaos Steed

Chaos Sorcerer of Tzeentch 180
Magic Level 2
Spell Familiar
Dispel Scroll

Chaos Sorcerer of Tzeentch 190
Magic Level 2
Book of Secrets
Dispel Scroll

Exalted Hero of Slaanesh 178
Great Weapon
Chaos Armour
Shield
Daemonic Mount

5 Chaos Warhounds 30

5 Chaos Warhounds 30

20 Chaos Marauders of Slaanesh 178
Flail
Light Armour
Full Command

18 Chaos Warriors of Slaanesh 358
Halberd
Shield
Full Command

5 Marauder Horsemen of Slaanesh 101
Throwing Axes
Light Armour
Shield
Musician

5 Marauder Horsemen of Slaanesh 101
Throwing Axes
Light Armour
Shield
Musician

5 Chaos Knights of Nurgle 320
Shield
Lance
Standard
Musician
Banner of Rage

5 Chaos Knights 255
Shield
Lance
Standard
Musician

2 Chaos Spawn 110 Pts

Casting Pool: 9

Dispel Pool: 5

Models in Army: 74

Total Army Cost: 2232

Spirit
09-04-2009, 22:01
Why no lord?

dshavers
09-04-2009, 22:05
Haven't really thought about it to be honest. I was possibly thinking of turning one of my sorcerers into a lvl 4 sorcerer lord, just wasn't sure if it was really needed.

bob_the_small
09-04-2009, 22:10
Thats a perfectly good army u have lots of anvils, and hammers. i would run the horsemen with flails and musicians, then they are a great flanking unit for the rest of your army..

dshavers
09-04-2009, 22:16
Well I already have them built unfortunately, but they are so cheap per box, so maybe I could run a few test games and by a couple more units. What are the advantages between the two?

Thats a perfectly good army u have lots of anvils, and hammers. i would run the horsemen with flails and musicians, then they are a great flanking unit for the rest of your army..

Makina
10-04-2009, 08:36
Some changes I would make:

Get a lvl4 Sorcerer lord, gateway to victory! People will **** their pants. Make 1 lvl 2 nurgle, it's a very nice lore.
Light armour on the marauders feels a bit useless imho, I would drop it and increase their size to 25.
18 warriors seems a bit much to be honest, why not drop 6?
Totally agree on bob's horsemen comment, drop the shields cause they make them lose their fast cav rule.
In general you really don't want lances on your knights, magic attacks and S5 always is better then S6 only on the charge first turn.

Brando
10-04-2009, 19:09
Also, lances on the knights bump them up considerably in the points cost department for something that is arguably worse. I would also toss a warbanner on one of the units that can take it, either the warriors or knights...it's way too good to leave home without it.

As has been said, drop either the shields or the light armour from your horsemen as with both they lose their fast cav rule which makes giving them throwing axes totally useless. Flails are good but it's expensive to equip your horsemen units flails AND taxes. I would probably give one unit the flails as it does make them quite versatile.

Give your exalted on the demon mount a halberd...it's just as effetive (mounted with GW only gives you +1 S) but you won't be striking last. I personally would give him a sword of might or axe of khorne, but that's just me.

20 Marauders is too little in my experience. They tend to be the things that get shot by bowfire as they are fairly easy to kill and killing off 10 will give the enemy at least some victory points.

I might also suggest trying to find room for a chariot to support your infantry. Otherwise, drop the warriors and take more stuff to supoprt the knights.

dshavers
10-04-2009, 19:28
Well I'll have to drop the light amour on the horseman, as I've already built them with the shields. I really wouldn't want to lose the fast cavalry. I'll drop the warriors down a rank and see if I can fit the sorcerer lord in there, cause I agree that would be a bit more intimidating. Thanks for the tips.

Some changes I would make:

Get a lvl4 Sorcerer lord, gateway to victory! People will **** their pants. Make 1 lvl 2 nurgle, it's a very nice lore.
Light armour on the marauders feels a bit useless imho, I would drop it and increase their size to 25.
18 warriors seems a bit much to be honest, why not drop 6?
Totally agree on bob's horsemen comment, drop the shields cause they make them lose their fast cav rule.
In general you really don't want lances on your knights, magic attacks and S5 always is better then S6 only on the charge first turn.

dshavers
10-04-2009, 19:36
Well one of my Knight units built already have lances, so they will have to stay for now, but I do have one more than I can build without them, so I'll just build them with the standard magical weapons, unless I can just specify that the lances are magical. They just look better with them IMO. I'll do some reworking on my list to see if I can a war banner in. I'm sure I can if I drop down my warriors to 12 instead of 18. I guess I don't need the extra rank as my sorcerers and knights will be doing most of the damage. As far as the Marauders 20 will have to suffice until I can get another regiment which might be a while. With the exalted, I'm using the Lord of Demonic Mount model, so I'll have to do a bit of conversion to swap his weapon out, cause he's carrying some kind of hammer like weapon, but I do have have some spare halberd bits that might work. I have some warrior and Marauder bits so I thought about converting an exalted on foot carrying a warbanner that I could then put into my warrior unit. Thanks again for all your tips.

Also, lances on the knights bump them up considerably in the points cost department for something that is arguably worse. I would also toss a warbanner on one of the units that can take it, either the warriors or knights...it's way too good to leave home without it.

As has been said, drop either the shields or the light armour from your horsemen as with both they lose their fast cav rule which makes giving them throwing axes totally useless. Flails are good but it's expensive to equip your horsemen units flails AND taxes. I would probably give one unit the flails as it does make them quite versatile.

Give your exalted on the demon mount a halberd...it's just as effetive (mounted with GW only gives you +1 S) but you won't be striking last. I personally would give him a sword of might or axe of khorne, but that's just me.

20 Marauders is too little in my experience. They tend to be the things that get shot by bowfire as they are fairly easy to kill and killing off 10 will give the enemy at least some victory points.

I might also suggest trying to find room for a chariot to support your infantry. Otherwise, drop the warriors and take more stuff to supoprt the knights.

Kerethar
10-04-2009, 23:35
18 warriors of slaanesh w/halberd, shield, mark and full command = 346 points
didn't check the rest of the points ;o) (it's late)

Having one unit of knights with lances isn't that bad, you sorely lack high strength hits in the army otherwise.. If possible, drop command group and give mark of khorne..
Should be enough to hunt high tougness monsters, tanks, characters..
If you want to field Knights of Nurgle with Banner of Rage, I'd drop the lances there.

Your general on steed wields Rod of Torment = magic missile
If you want to fire these several turns in a row I wouldn't give him a horse and field him with knights or marauders..
Your exalted should be in combat asap, so yes, have him join one of your knight units.

Do you have a sorcerer on disc? Combined with a Golden Eye of Tzeentch u have a "cheap" unit to hunt for war machine crews..

20 marauders w/flails,... = 150pts?
I concur with previous remarks, they're too sweet a target not to shoot at.
If you have the models, I'd drop these and make 2 units of 12 warriors (command group, shields, mark of slaanesh + points to spare (maybe we'll find points for 2x 3 warriors))

If you need 15pts I'd drop the Spell Familiar, your 2nd level sorcerer probably won't be able to cast all three spells. Or change it to a Power Familiar to get an extra power die.

Another good remark is to change one sorcerer from Tzeentch to Nurgle,
if people **** Infernal Gateway, they'll keep a dispel scroll for Magnificent Buboes.
Changing one of the sorcerers to a sorcerer lord isn't such a bad idea, but you'll be pouring some points in. It does allow you to pick Infernal Puppet (maybe Tzeentch has a bad day and you roll loads of double 1's), wear that Collar of Khorne (extra dispel dice and 5+ ward save are always welcome),.. On top of that, people are prone to let the smaller spells pass if you do have Infernal Gateway. (I wonder why)

Marauder Horsemen, drop shield or armour to make them fast cav, as said.
If you do consider to equip them with flails, change the mark to Khorne's.
More expensive but compare 5 s5 attacks to 10 s5 attacks..

I fielded spawns before (in a tourney) but they never performed as desired.
To offset an early death in cc I always gave them Mark of Slaanesh, it's his only defense against an early grave. (provided you kill something ofcourse)

dshavers
11-04-2009, 15:55
*Update*

After a little thought, I made a few changes.

Sorcerer Lord of Tzeentch 339
General
Magic Level 3
Rod of Torment
Bronze Armour of Zhrakk (or maybe a spell familiar)

Magic Level 2
Dispel Scroll
Power Familiar

Magic Level 2
Book of Secrets
Dispel Scroll

Exalted Hero of Slaanesh 174 *Will join the knights*
Halberd
Shield
Daemonic Mount

5 Chaos Warhounds

5 Chaos Warhounds

20 Chaos Marauders of Slaanesh 170
Flail
Light Armour
Shield
Full Command

12 Chaos Warriors of Slaanesh 269
Halberd
Shield
Full Command
War Banner

5 Marauder Horsemen of Slaanesh 96
Throwing Axes
Shield
Musician

5 Marauder Horsemen of Slaanesh 96
Throwing Axes
Shield
Musician

5 Chaos Knights of Nurgle 295
Ensorcelled Weapons
Shield
Standard
Musician
Banner of Rage

5 Chaos Knights of Nurgle 260
Ensorcelled Weapons
Shield
Standard
Musician

2 Chaos Spawn 110

Casting Pool: 11

Dispel Pool: 6

Models in Army: 68

Total Army Cost: 2249

Eta
12-04-2009, 11:15
Make another sorcerer the general as the Bronze Armour of Zhrakk does not allow the wearer to pass their Ld to other models/units in the army. Or even better, drop the armour and the Rod of Torment and use the points to upgrade your lord to lvl 4 and give him a spell familiar. I would recommend to mount your lord on a barded chaos steed for additional protection if you could find the points. That gives him 5 spells and a 2+ armour save and you gain another PD.

Greetings
Eta

dshavers
12-04-2009, 19:17
Ah..good point.

The sorceror is actually mounted, I just forgot to list it. I'll see what I can come up with after dropping the armour, and leveling him up.

Make another sorcerer the general as the Bronze Armour of Zhrakk does not allow the wearer to pass their Ld to other models/units in the army. Or even better, drop the armour and the Rod of Torment and use the points to upgrade your lord to lvl 4 and give him a spell familiar. I would recommend to mount your lord on a barded chaos steed for additional protection if you could find the points. That gives him 5 spells and a 2+ armour save and you gain another PD.

Greetings
Eta

dshavers
12-04-2009, 19:22
Ok hopefully this one will work out. I had just a few points to spare, so I just added scaly skin to the hounds to give them a bit more protection, since they will most likely be living shields. Thanks again for everyone's advice. :)

Sorcerer Lord of Tzeentch 329
General
Magic Level 4
Spell Familiar
Chaos Steed

Magic Level 2
Dispel Scroll
Power Familiar

Magic Level 2
Book of Secrets