PDA

View Full Version : Itxi Grubs vs Power Stones

Erebion
10-04-2009, 01:47
Is there a significant reason to take Itxi Grubs vs Power Stones?

I can see how if you fail to cast by up to three and than use the grubs it helps, but wouldn't two casting dice from Power Stones almost always be better?
At 25 points it doesn't seem to be worth it compared to the power stones.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,
Erebion

theunwantedbeing
10-04-2009, 01:56
One major difference.
Ixti Grubs, chose to use it after the dice have been rolled to cast.
Power stone, chose to use it before the dice have been rolled to cast.

Ixti grubs guarantees spell success basically.(presuming you were no more than 3 off the needed value)
A powerstone does not, and gives a reasonable chance of a miscast as well.

Darkangeldentist
10-04-2009, 03:56
Also the grubs don't include any risk of miscasting.

Ultimate Life Form
10-04-2009, 04:03
theunwantedbeing already said it. As well as everything else there would have been to say. However, Id like to add, Power Stones have the advantage you can take as many as you want, unlike Itxi Grubs, which are unique.

There is a weird citation in the LM army book:

"Pass me another Itxi Grub"
Last words of the Slann Mage-Priest [insert name here]

When I read it the first time, it puzzled me, and I couldnt solve the puzzle until now. Im 90% sure its some kind of joke, but Im still confused. This is because Im not a native speaker and dont have 100% grasp of the language (well, at least in my country, not even all native speakers have).
So could you please enlighten me what this is supposed to be?

Vsurma
10-04-2009, 07:21
It's just some fluff, not sure what you don't understand, its just part of a story.

Main points have already been made, if you fail to reach your casting value by 3 or less the grubs will make that spell work without fear of miscast, essentially you will always get that spell you really need.

Stones while on average add alot more than the grubs, adding 7 rather than 3 as an average, they also cause miscasts more often and as they are used before it won't really save you when you need it.

If you need to cast a 12+ spell chances are your using 4 dice, or 2 and a stone, if you roll badly and roll 11 that's it, fail. with the grubs you would still be rolling 4 dice but if you roll that 11 you would turn it into a achieved spell.

the Grubs also cost more than the sone which can create problems depending on your max points allowence.

Ultimate Life Form
10-04-2009, 07:31
It's just some fluff, not sure what you don't understand, its just part of a story.

The fact that there cannot possibly be "another Itxi Grub" and these are his last words intrigues me.

Necromancy Black
10-04-2009, 08:36
It's because fluff wise A Slann might have a hold bag full of these grubs, each one helping to focus a little. They'll eat them as they need it and it wouldn't be odd to see Slann in battle with several bags of them.

Game wise your given a single bag which is fully consumed at once. Either that or a single grub, can't remember which.

I would have been alot better had they been made like scrolls or even made to count as scrolls.

Spirit
10-04-2009, 09:01
The slann just dosnt want to eat all his grubs at once, otherwise he will obviously die!

So he stores up all his little grubs and uses them one game at a time. Clearly.