PDA

View Full Version : (WOTR) 500pts Dunedain

korskarnkai
10-04-2009, 08:05
Aragorn & Grey Company (3 x companies) - 355

Elladan & Rangers (1 x company) - 65

Elrohir & Rangers (1 x company) - 65

The plan is to use the rangers as fire support and the grey company as the meat grinder. The twins offer counter punch ability to support the grey company if need be. The grey company can also use Aragorn's move ability to reposition behind cavalry etc to throw out enemy battle lines.

The book mentions the twins hunting orcs etc with Aragorn, so obviously that's the basic theme of this list.

Comments, opinions?

:)

Nu Fenix
10-04-2009, 19:41
My biggest thought is that whilst he is good, 200 points of your army is all in one man!

Also, whilst the Rangers can give out some shooting, since each one only needs to lose 4 models to be wiped out, that is quite risky. And are they Rangers of Gondor or Arnor?

korskarnkai
12-04-2009, 10:05
What about putting the 2 ranger units together with the twins in them?

I realise Aragorn is expensive, but he's central to the theme of the list.

Jorgen_CAB
12-04-2009, 10:51
First of all, three companies of the Grey Company will cost you 195p not 155. Re-read the rules about legendary formation and their cost. So you only get two companies to follow Aragorn.

I would also let the twins fight in one formation of two companies or they will be easily destroyed.

You need to hope for a battlefield with some nice terrain to occupy and defend, otherwise you will be overwhelmed by your enemy, especially cavalry and monsters will be dangerous to you.

korskarnkai
12-04-2009, 12:41
I re-read the grey company entry and it says they cost 75pts for the command company (including Halbarad) and 40 points per additional company. Or am I wrong?

ThrowN
12-04-2009, 13:15
It seems to be 75 pts base cost and 40pts for each of the formations, so 75+3x40=195pts. The wording is quite unclear, same problem in the german book btw. The Armybuilder file has it wrong too.

korskarnkai
12-04-2009, 13:48
Wow the wording is pretty ambiguous to say the least.

Jorgen_CAB
12-04-2009, 14:05
If it was including the first company the points cost would be ridiculously low. There are also some example in the book that should clear up the matter I believe, I don't know the page number.

Nu Fenix
12-04-2009, 14:09
It has been commented on it other threads, as if the price included the first company, then the heroes involved would often be worth negative points!

If they included the first company in the price, it would have said, as with the Regiments of Reknown in Warhammer.

korskarnkai
12-04-2009, 15:24
Fair enough guys, thanks for the tip.

How about:

Aragorn - 200

Elladan & Elrohir - 70

2 x Grey Company - 155

2 x Rangers - 60

1 x Hobbit Archer Militia - 15

500 points

This army represents a hobbit community defending their homes and being assisted (whether they realise it or not) by a group of Dunedain.

Just as an aside, is it better to include Aragorn as an Epic Hero or as part of the 3 Hunters?

Sarah S
12-04-2009, 16:35
Aragorn the Epic Hero and Aragorn the "one of the Three Hunters" are totally different things.

The Three Hunters are a pretty decent single formation that can pose a legitimate threat to most enemies of similar cost. On the other hand they are fairly fragile even with their enchanted cloaks, and can't really be used unsupported.

Aragorn the Epic Hero is a walking woodchipper. He turns whatever company he is in into a force to be reckoned with. Epic Journey is outrageous, even with its might cost (his Mighty Hero rule helps mitigate this quite a bit) while Epic Strike and Epic Duel rank him among the most devastating hero-killers in the game. On top of all that he gets Inspiring Hero, and Anduril will let his company mulch enemies.

That said, I would think twice before including either of them in a 500 point army. I actually wouldn't think about putting the Three Hunters in a 500 point army at all, because they're 175 points, and as allies are restricted to 1/4 of your total force, you would need to play at least a 700 point game to include them.

I would think that the Epic Hero Aragorn is simply too expensive for such a small game. While his company hits hard, they don't hit at all if they are all dead, something that will be all too frequent at this points level with such small formations.

I would probably drop Aragorn, but keeping Elladan and Elrohir might be a good idea.
With the 200 points saved on Aragorn, you could take another 6 companies of Rangers or Grey Company.

While I can understand that you want to have Strider in your force for the obvious thematic reasons, I think you will quickly meet with frustration by having so few companies in your force.

Maybe you could take Faramir or the Dunedain of Arnor with Arathorn and count one of those heroes as Strider to represent him not yet realizing his full capabilities?

I do like the theme idea though!

korskarnkai
13-04-2009, 04:34
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

The Dunedain were my favourite part of the books, and I'm keen to build a little force around them. Halbarad could only muster about 30 in haste to reach Aragorn, so having 6 or so companies would go against that theme (as an aside, I'm counting the rangers of gondor as Dunedain and will be using the Dunedain models, since I need to include a Common formation). That gives me a total of 32 Dunedain which is keeping with the books.

I understand that this army is almost critically small, but can Aragorn's epic journey be used to mitigate that somewhat? Since they strike as the same time as cav, most infantry at this scale won't be much of a threat outside of massive numbers hitting at once. The journey rule is what I hope will balance that out.

Or am I way off base?

korskarnkai
14-04-2009, 03:37
One other question, the Ruin of Arnor book lets Rangers of Arnor be taken as troops choices. Does this fit what Tolkein wrote? I was under the impression that the Dunedain were the only Rangers of the North?