PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Warriors unit size.

Tag
10-04-2009, 08:53
So, I'm sure this has been discussed in the tactica but there are literally several thousand replies and searching unit size gives me 17 pages of results.

Aaaanyway, what size units do you use for your chaos warriors? 12, 18 or some other size? What sort of formation do you put them in as well.

I'm thinking 12 is probably the best tactically, not many points spent on extra ranks at the back for a measly +1 CR, good frontage of 6 and they're hard enough to take quite a bit of shooting and come through with enough numbers left (not that they'll be shooting anything other than your knights anyway). The only bad thing is that it doesn't quite look as epic as a unit of 18 on the table.

Thoughts anyone?

MSU
10-04-2009, 16:16
Do 12 man units, run 6x2 just as you say. I like full command. The only thing that has ever broken them to the front (for me at least) is a Vampire lord on a zombie dragon.

_Kalas_
10-04-2009, 16:23
I run my warriors 3x5, no champ, they work fine, usually able to preserve +1 CR due to rank [sometimes even +2] easier to manouve[sp?] than 2x6.

cheers

Kerill
10-04-2009, 16:26
@MSU, your dice are blessed by the gods it seems.

12 man, FC with a magic banner or 18 FC and magic banner generally. Subtract warriors for any characters that will be going in the unit to save points.

I'm running 14 with shields, FC, war banner, and 4 slots taken up by characters so its 6*3

10 man slaanesh with shields and/or halberds if you want to go for MSU warriors. Or 11 if you want a very fragile second rank.

PARTYCHICORITA
10-04-2009, 17:01
A unit of 16 MoN warriors+mounted scroll caddy in a 6x3 formation with full command and the frenzy banner using shields can be pretty hard. they get 12 warrior attacks+4 from the champion +3 from the caddy+2 from the steed for a total of 21 S4 attacks most of them with high WS and a 2+ save in the whole unit.

The alternative is units of 12 in 6x2 with no command imo to avoid risking 100 extra VP.

Draco74
10-04-2009, 18:09
I'm with Kalas, I run mine 5x3 with standard and musician, no champ.
I don't want a hero charging in on a monster and then only be able to have the champion fight. I think it is 12 points spent that can actually hurt more than it helps. I do give mine the MoK and then the Banner of Wrath. That way if the enemy is avoiding the unit they can still "shoot" at them.

Goruax
10-04-2009, 22:54
My basic set up is a pair of units of 12, 6x2 with MoS and no Command.
202 points makes them dirt cheap units (for Warriors!) and they are no pansies when it comes to actual fighting.

Hell, game against Wood Elves (damn pansies!) had a unit of 12 with Exalted, got shot up and finally got charge by Treekin and a Noble on steed.
Starting the combat with 9 Warriors, they held for 3 turns, even with a Dryad charge in the flank to boot.
They were still holding by the end of the game :p

Units of 18 are too expensive and give no useful benefit.
If you want ranks, run 5 wide and never go above 15 strong, unless you're playing massive games.

Oh, and if they're Chosen, run them 13 strong, 7 wide and chuck an Exalted in there ;)
13 Chosen of Tzeentch, Champion with Favour, Standard Bearer with Rage Banner and just Shields.
Just shy of 400 points, never a waste :D

Jericho
11-04-2009, 03:00
Putting something like Palanquin or the other 50x50 based mounts in a unit of Chosen can be nice for essentially getting you a massive discount on rank bonus. 14 Chosen + a Palanquin is pretty nice for +2 rank bonus.

PopeAlexanderVI
11-04-2009, 03:23

Had to say it.

W0lf
11-04-2009, 08:12
i agree 0.

12 or 18 if you want to field them. I personally dont trust units of 12 to do anything though.

Mabus
11-04-2009, 08:44
I use two groups of Warriors.

One is used 6x2, it contains 11 MoN Warriors, Shields, FC and the Banner of Rage. The extra space is there for my foot MoK Exalted.

The Second unit contains 13, I also run this unit 6x2 with 1 chap in the back row. This unit has the MoK, shields and full command too.

danny-d-b
11-04-2009, 08:47
1 unit of 15 plus festus and a level 4 tzench wizzard with the bloodskull and the puppet with shileds, musician and rapurus standerd
pure nastyness!

Sam skywalker
11-04-2009, 09:01
I take mine 6 by 2... I'm never going to beat anything with combat res so I have to rely on dealing the damage. I do a fully khornate army atm... My fav unit is a Mok AHW! 4 attacks each! though quiet fragile when taking a charge.

Monsterzonk
11-04-2009, 13:14
It depends...

6 wide is the most favoured by far, so it makes perfect sense to field them in multiples of 6, which gives you basically two options:

1. 12 Warriors in a 6x2 setup. This setup is almost as combat effective as fielding 18, but you are really low on numbers. I would advise making units that small as tough as you can. The easiest way to do that is giving them shields. At 12 points for the entire unit you have a 3+ armour save versus shooting, and a 2+ in combat. Nice.
Another way to improve your survivability is the Mark of Nurgle, which is rather expensive at 30 points, but still worth it, IMO.

2. 18 Warriors in 6x3 setup. You can cope with casualties more easily, so you don't necessarily need shields or the Mark of Nurgle, but you will pay at least an extra 90 points for +1 CR, which is a lot.

You can also add mounted characters to the unit, to bump it's size and make it more effective in combat. Any of the daemonic mounts are great for this, as they use the 50x50mm bases, effectively taking the space of 4 Warriors and thus saving you 60 points...

FallenAfh
11-04-2009, 15:47
3 x 10 Khornate with Great Weapons and Shields. Adjust width of front rank as required.

W0lf
11-04-2009, 19:27
I think its worth noting that units of 12 chaos warriors (and 18 to an extent) need to be using Halberds or Add hand weapons in combat.

S4 isnt usually killy enough to generate mnass kills and a 2+ save is all good and well untill you realise your losing by 3-4 on static. Dont expect units of 12 to get a rank bonus ever. Any decent general will put in a minimal effort to killing 2 models to reduce you to ether 0 or 1 static.

Kerill
12-04-2009, 17:40
I've found one solid unit very decent so far, has yet to be beaten in combat so far. Took a charge from a dreadlance and red fury vampire lord on a dragon with hatred today and won. An all warriors army may not be the best idea but one or two units can be very solid if you have the tools to make sure they win combats.

PeG
12-04-2009, 19:30
As always it depends on who you are fighting. I play WE and 12 warriors will never get +1CR but they will usually have an intact first rank when they make contact with the enemy. The challenge is to make that contact in the front.... If you want rank bonuses you need at least 15 warriors 6+6+3 to allow for at least one round of losses.

On the other hand if you play VC, daemons or something 12 is a good number since there will be very little shooting.