PDA

View Full Version : Any Interest or need for another Bitz service?

daemonkin
10-04-2009, 10:19
Hi guys,

I am thinking of setting up a new bitz service, based in UK but will service Worldwide, mostly accepting Paypal but can do cheque/PO if necessary. Free postage too.

Just testing the waters, domain name bought but just built the site locally on a development server.

Please keep your comments OT if you can.

D.

Kantur
10-04-2009, 10:39
I know that one of my biggest problems since the bitz service stopped is wanting specific things for specific conversions, or even just specific weapons for weapon swaps.

One thing I've been wanting to get for a month or two is a good cloak for a Vulkan He'Stan conversion that won't involve spending 12/15 and having to decide what to do with all the models I never really wanted in the first place. I know scuplting's an alternative, but when you've never done any before, sometimes what you want's just one small part that won't take days to perfect...

With a bitz service available, I'd certainly have no problems with buying the suitable parts and not then having to trade models away or find something to convert them too.

Tyron
10-04-2009, 10:57
Depends if you will be cheaper then the others. If not then no point I believe.

Verm1s
10-04-2009, 12:27
No! It's a rubbish idea! Go home and stop cluttering up the bandwidth!

...Can you get me a Valkyrie base or two? ;)

I voted for the second option. It reminded me that the bits shops I go to tend to have huge swathes marked "out of stock". It usually includes the bits I went to find.

daemonkin
10-04-2009, 12:43
Vermis: You looking for 1 for your Imperator? I think it would be a perfect fit.

D.

derv
10-04-2009, 12:55
If you have a good range of stock then you would do good business. I've had no luck finding parts I'm after from any of the bitz companies and gave up trying a long time ago.

I'd be happy to pay a premium if it meant I got all the bitz I needed.

stroller
10-04-2009, 13:09
Never used a bitz service. Ebay does fine for the bitz I want on the rare occasions I've wanted one.

Magos Explorator
10-04-2009, 13:28
I voted for the "if stocked regularly" option. I've bought from a couple of Bitz sites, and would have bought more stuff (or shopped more frequently) from them had the bits I wanted all been in stock.

forthegloryofkazadekrund
10-04-2009, 13:42
The only problem is you cant get your bitz stock straight from GW so you will have to go elsewhere to get it

Jedi152
10-04-2009, 13:55
A few bits of advice i'll suggest:

- Have a comprehensive stock, not just marine bits.
- Have decent prices and sensible P&P.

ThousandPlateaus
10-04-2009, 14:05
Hmm - personally, I think new bits services are always welcome, but this is partly due to the inevitable trap that you have with selling bits: certain things will prove to be very popular, whilst vast swathes of kits will remain unloved and unwanted for ages. One can't assume that if you were to break up a kit into it's pieces, that every single piece from that kit would then sell.

I'm sure that the majority of people who complain that the bits service they use are always out of stock will only be looking for very specific items for a conversion - with probably just one of these bits in a kit, and as soon as a new box is opened, that bit will sell whilst the rest will gather dust for ages. New suppliers are welcomed as they in turn open a kit with a desired part in it, which will sell, then the rest of the kit will remain unsold, whilst yet more people complain that the new service is now also always out of stock.

Do you see what I mean? It's a good enterprise, I think, but certainly a double-edged one.

derv
10-04-2009, 14:17
Hmm - personally, I think new bits services are always welcome, but this is partly due to the inevitable trap that you have with selling bits: certain things will prove to be very popular, whilst vast swathes of kits will remain unloved and unwanted for ages. One can't assume that if you were to break up a kit into it's pieces, that every single piece from that kit would then sell.

I'm sure that the majority of people who complain that the bits service they use are always out of stock will only be looking for very specific items for a conversion - with probably just one of these bits in a kit, and as soon as a new box is opened, that bit will sell whilst the rest will gather dust for ages. New suppliers are welcomed as they in turn open a kit with a desired part in it, which will sell, then the rest of the kit will remain unsold, whilst yet more people complain that the new service is now also always out of stock.

Do you see what I mean? It's a good enterprise, I think, but certainly a double-edged one.

Which is why parts should be priced appropriately. High demand items with one to a box I would expect to be expensive, and the other parts could be dirt cheap to get rid of them.

ThousandPlateaus
10-04-2009, 14:53
Which is why parts should be priced appropriately. High demand items with one to a box I would expect to be expensive, and the other parts could be dirt cheap to get rid of them.

Which is pretty much what most bits services do, but then get labeled as being overly expensive as, again, customers focus on the desirable parts (which are inflated in price), and overlook the bulk.

Setha
10-04-2009, 15:10
well , if lots of bits from kits went unsold, put um al into a bag a auction them of, your sure to atleast cover the rest of the cost that initally took to buy that box

badgeraddict
10-04-2009, 15:15
I'd welcome it if it did metals bitz too. I am in dire need of a Black Guard Halberd. :(

Tonberry
10-04-2009, 15:20
+1 vote for 'Yes as long as its stocked regularly'.

Lots of bit shops have ample stock of bitz that people already have millions of, but are constantly 'out of stock' of useful stuff like Mk IV heads or possessed wings.

Robineng
10-04-2009, 17:21
Aslong as its stocked I'd place regular orders, the other places are always out of stock of the things I want. :(

Cypher, the Emperor
11-04-2009, 00:33
Just as long as you have the unhelmeted High Elf BT head. I've been trying to get that thing for AGES!

daemonkin
11-04-2009, 04:57
Cypher: I'll try my best.

Tonberry: I will onl ever display what is in stock.Each week I'll restock whatever is selling or whatever is demanded (I'll have a request form to see what people are wanting/needing)

Badgeraddict: Initially I'll only be doing plastic but if the service takes off I'm sure we can accommodate metal bitz - god knows I wouldn't mind doing my Iron Hands army!

Setha: Nice idea but I was generally going to include the odd bitz with each order, some extra bang for your buck. Lucky dip bags categorised by army might be a way to go though.

Jedi: As I stated in the first post I'm doing free P&P on orders over 1.00 anywhere.

I have been working a lot on the idea and have built a development site that I will be adding more functionality to - such as modelling projects that will have a 'Buy' button that will add all components to your order, Promotional codes to get either money off total or % off next order.

If you guys have any other suggestions that could make my site stand out from the rest please put them to me, either here or PM.

Regards,
D.

daemonkin
15-04-2009, 09:13
Can I assume from the poll and lack of further discussion that most people would be happy to shop at another bits site if regularly stocked?

Thanks for the input.

Is there anything else anyone can think of that they would want to have on a bits website?

D.

blongbling
15-04-2009, 09:25
i would bear in mind that if you are opening a bits store you will not be able to get an account with GW as you breach the terms of trading with them.

daemonkin
15-04-2009, 09:32
Thanks for that Blongbing but i have that sorted. Nice sig. Hate Ultrasmurfs!

D.

Foolish Mortal
15-04-2009, 12:39
Hell yeah!!

I voted option 2.

I'm sick of going to bits sites, and browsing through for interesting bits, only to find that anything I may want is out of stock - and seemingly is ALWAYS out of stock - week in & week out.

So by all means it would be good, just so long as your bits site actually, you know, has some bits....

daemonkin
15-04-2009, 15:03
Would the people who voted 'No' please leave a comment? What exactly is off-putting about the idea?

Thanks.
D.

5Pointer
15-04-2009, 17:52
The more the merrier when it comes to bits - I use two regularly at the moment, a couple on eBay as well, but to have another chance to get *that* bit is always good!

I like the idea of lucky dip packs, but only if they are army themed. That would be pure win for me - I could grab a small Border Patrol style force using battalions/battleforces and then kitbash with bits and pieces from the lucky dip. Good times.

Charax
15-04-2009, 18:28
free postage over 1 will be useful - my current go-to place for bitz is BitsandKits (http://www.bitsandkits.co.uk/), primarily because of their forgeworld section (I saved a ton by being able to order just the torsos from the Death Guard upgrade kit), and their minimum order for free P&P is 15

as long as the price is decent and the postage isn't insane you'll get customers, everyone wants slightly different things from their stores so there will always be niches to fill (For example, I'll always go for low price, but I don't give a damn how long it takes to arrive - other people value quick delivery above other things)

Wolf Scout Ewan
15-04-2009, 18:31
I love bits services but I find they are too rarely updated wth stock, so, whenever I go to one wanting stuff they are out of what I want/need.

I understand that they arent rolling in cash to buy kits to split up and that you have to balance the prices.

For instance:
Say a service buys 10 tac squads. They have to split that down into a price per item.
So the service has 10 flamers. The problem is that you can only have one per squad.
They have 10 bolter scopes. Some people like putting bolter scopes on every model but they might not want any of the flamers. So you end up with 10 flamers that you cannot sell for 10p but no scopes left even though u priced them at 50p each.

Its very complicated balancing supply and demand through costing. If you can do it without making a loss then all the power to ya!

(I used the prices as an example not an actual price they should be sold for)

Bregalad
15-04-2009, 18:45
Most bitz services I know have a reasonable stock for one or two months after opening and then are out of stock except for things that noone wants. Don't know how they survive that way. I wouldn't risk doing a business like that, if I were you.

Xarius
15-04-2009, 20:41
seems ok but bitzbox (in my sig) seem to have a lot of the uk bits market

Verm1s
15-04-2009, 22:47

How do you know?

Bregalad
16-04-2009, 00:14

How do you know?
Because every half decent bit is out of stock for months;)

parus_ater
16-04-2009, 00:56
If GW could turn a justifiable profit doing it, then I'm sure they'd still be doing it. As it is, they don't, so they don't.

I said no, by the way.

spetswalshe
16-04-2009, 01:07
I said yes, but I'd never risk it myself. As has already been said, the first couple of months seem to go fine, then it just stops being profitable.

I used bitzbox.co.uk, and if they had the things I needed in stock - or even my second choice, okay-that'll-do-in-a-pinch bits - I'd be spending about 5 a month there, not inc p&p. Which, given I'm a miser, is a hell of a lot more than I spend anywhere else but Tesco.

edit; scratch that. It's 2am, I've just tried to order a bunch of 3rd choice, this-really-won't-work-but-I-suppose-it-might-come-in-useful-one-day bits, only to discover that half of them (half!) have been bought in the minutes between completing the order and getting to paypal. Needs me another bitz service now.

ThousandPlateaus
16-04-2009, 18:26
Bitzbox deciding to use Twitter to announce which kits have just been restocked was a very clever move.

The 2 Black Dragons
16-04-2009, 19:12
Another bitz store would not be bad as Bitzbox UK has a terrible service honestly.

I used to order a lot there and never bothered checking if the order was complete as it was supposedly checked and signed off. Total bull!

I check one random order, one bit was missing, from then on 5 different orders all had one bit missing every time. All I got was sum kind of stupid code for my next order as if I would want to order there again

So if your service is better and you are cheaper, even just a little
You have a customer buying every month!!!!!

Although it will be hard being cheaper then horde o bitz!!

Oh and the reason I recon GW stopped the bitz service was not that it was not a justifiable profit, the costs and the room for the storage were just a logistical nightmare for them. A service that concentrates on just this will have no problem.

So now they earn even more by outsourcing there Bitz service and let others have the problem and GW earns even more on it, best move they ever done, from their point of view