PDA

View Full Version : Can Sisters of Battle tanks be used in Space Marine armies?

nexttothemoon
10-04-2009, 12:36
So... can Sisters of Battle tanks... Exorcists, Land Raiders, Immolators ,Rhinos etc be used in a Vanilla Space marine army under the 5th ed codex or are they too different from the SM stuff that it wouldn't be possible?

I'm just wondering because I see a few good deals on Sisters tanks from time to time but as a newbie and not yet knowing a lot about creating Space Marine armies I'm not sure whether they could be used or not.

RichBlake
10-04-2009, 12:39
:evilgrin:
So... can Sisters of Battle tanks... Exorcists, Land Raiders, Immolators ,Rhinos etc be used in a Vanilla Space marine army under the 5th ed codex or are they too different from the SM stuff that it wouldn't be possible?

I'm just wondering because I see a few good deals on Sisters tanks from time to time but as a newbie and not yet knowing a lot about creating Space Marine armies I'm not sure whether they could be used or not.

Well you could use them as "counts as" but if it was anything other then a tempoary thing it'd be a bit lame.

The only two vehicle kits sisters have are immolators and exorcists. Immolators can be used as "counts as" razorbacks and exorcists could be useds as "counts as" whirlwinds. However it would be pretty lame as a permenant thing.

As for Rhinos they are identicle (model wise) to SM ones as you have to buy the SM rhino, same with Land Raiders.

sigur
10-04-2009, 12:40
Do you mean ruleswise or modelwise?

As for rules, you can have a limited amount of SoB Rhinos or Immolators as part of an allied contingent IIRC but you have to have Inquisitorial Stormtroopers or SoB squads with them. But don't take this for granted. Albeit playing a SoB army, my knowledge of allying SoB to SM is somewhat rusty.

As for models....well....I think it would be OK to have SoB Rhinos as stand-ins for SM Rhinos. Having Immolators (with heavy bolters arnament) for Razorbacks would strech it already and of course you can't have Exorcists.

Corrode
10-04-2009, 12:43
It's not possible. You can ally some Witch Hunters units to a Marine army using the rules found in Codex: Witch Hunters, but Heavy Support (which covers Exorcists and Immolators) can't be taken and there's no reason to take a Land Raider or Rhino, since they're both in the Marine Codex anyway. You can certainly use the models for something else - an Immolator might make a very OTT Razorback w/ heavy flamers, or an Exorcist might make a good Whirlwind - but the actual rules are limited to C:WH.

Just like anything else in 40k, you're still perfectly able to do as you please with friends in a private setting, but most pick-up games or tournaments would have a problem with a tank that was used in a context that wasn't 'counts-as'.

nexttothemoon
10-04-2009, 13:21
I definitely just mean modelwise and not ruleswise. We're just planning on a Vanilla Space marines army without anything too complicated to begin with... so I'm not talking about SM and WH alliances or anything like that.

Simply put... sometimes I see some good looking Sisters of Battle tank models for sale (in forums/auctions etc) that look (to my newbie eyes) like they might work in a SM army :) ... but I don't want to get too ghetto and make it look like too much of a jumble I suppose. Or is that all part of the creativity and fun of creating your own unique Chapter within SM? :)

mughi3
10-04-2009, 13:22
Small correction-
immolators are a dedicated transport for a FA slot of dominions from the SOB list that can be taken as allies. as well as the FW repressor that can be taken as a transport for just about any unit in a SOB force that can have a transport.

Exorcists are stright out though. as heavy support is specifically not allowed.

SanguinaryDan
10-04-2009, 13:22
I suppose you'd have to do it the other way round. A SoB (technically WH) army with allied Marines. But then you lose access to any Marine HS options. As well as anything not on that list in the DH book.

So if you hate Predators but love Exorcists that might be the ticket.

Bregalad
10-04-2009, 14:09
You can take all tanks that are in the SM Codex (Exorcists and Immolators are not in).

And Space Marines are not part of the Church, so wouldn't use tanks of the church even if they used tanks of the same type..

sigur
10-04-2009, 15:55
And Space Marines are not part of the Church, so wouldn't use tanks of the church even if they used tanks of the same type..

I absolutely agree.

Sleazy
10-04-2009, 16:29
I always got the idea the relationship between astartes and the church is somewhat strained so no.

Glad noone has used the tired "you can in apocalypse" line.

Forlorn
10-04-2009, 16:43
You can in Apocalypse.

blackroyal
10-04-2009, 16:50
You can in Apocalypse.

Forlorn... you just made my day. Than you. :D

Eulenspiegel
10-04-2009, 18:14
He is talking about using just the models, not the rules, guys!

All Sisters tanks can be used in a Marine army with a little spirited conversion work. That would mean changing gunner models (Sisters out, Marine in) and/or some weapon options.
If the fleur de lys iconography doens´t fit the heraldry of your chapter, it should be filed off.

Exorcists, the heavy support tank in a Sisters army, would use a little more conversion work. The "gunner" model is a little harder to replace. It could count as a whirlwind (and only if the organ look fits your army theme).

CraftworldsRus
10-04-2009, 18:22
If you wanted to use rhinos in your Marine force, and are seeing unbuilt sisters kits for less then SM Rhinos, then grab them, since they come with a Rhino, then sisters upgrades.

Barbarossa
10-04-2009, 19:36
Of course you can use the models in your SM army!
I think it would be pretty fitting for a more religious chapter to have tanks that look a bit like chapels. Just make sure to convert them a bit to look more Space Marine-ish, or people will think your Marines stole them out of the Ecclesiarchy's carpool. :-)

Charistoph
10-04-2009, 19:47
Of course you can use the models in your SM army!
I think it would be pretty fitting for a more religious chapter to have tanks that look a bit like chapels. Just make sure to convert them a bit to look more Space Marine-ish, or people will think your Marines stole them out of the Ecclesiarchy's carpool. :-)

Seconded.

Of course, you could call them the Fluer Templars with the inquisition watching over their shoulders looking for Slaanesh taint...

And just so the WH allies things are straight:

SoB & Grey Knights can join any Space Marine army in limited number, HS is 0-0.

Space Marines can join any Inquisitor army that do not have SoB or GK in them.

SM CANNOT join any army that contains any SoB or GK or inducted IG.

IG can be inducted into any Inquisitor army, no matter what is used as the core army, but SM cannot be inducted to such an army.

Note: Obviously all this goes out the window in Apocalypse where Orcs, Deathwing, and Necrons can fight together against Daemons, Black Templars, and Blood Angels.

LonelyPath
10-04-2009, 21:13
You can take Immolators, but only if you take Celestians and/or Dominion squads with them as dedicated transports, but no heavy support choices are available as allies in other forces.

If you take a Canoness with Celestian bodyguard (HQ), a squad of Celestians (Elite) and a Dominion squad (FA) you can squeeze 3 Immolators into your SM army among your allies ;)

SoB can join SM armies, but not vice cersa, strange if you ask me though that it works that way...

nexttothemoon
11-04-2009, 02:18
Great info everyone, thanks a lot. I'm getting a great education in the rules of various alliances along the way... but yes from this newbies perspective, I'm just looking at how easy from a modelwise point of view it would be to easily convert a SoB tank into a viable unit to use in a plain old SM army and not have it look too "goofy" and out of place. :)

I mean I could modify and convert a pineapple and use that as a Predator as well but that might look a little too organic... what with all the fruit flies hovering over it on the battlefield while I'm firing at opponents. :)

Seriously though... :) I guess in the end it just comes down to your modeling and conversion skills as to what you can put into an army. Correct?

Being new to this I am sensing (and I could be wrong) that there might be two general camps in WH40K when it comes to "counts as" conversions and modifications... those that want to encourage creativity and let players design their units as they see fit as part of whatever "chapter" they desire to make and those that still want people to adhere and stick to the general flavors and fluffy themes of the codexes and use only units applicable to the fluff guidelines of their respective codexes.

I have to state again to make it clear that this is all in regards to only the look and feel of the army units and nothing to do with the actual rules. I am only going to use the SM rules codex with no alterations/alliances or any other rules modifications.

Tangentially... I've also just purchased a Blood Angels codex and am looking at purchasing a cheap Dark Angels codex as well but that's more for entertainment and just out of curiosity for seeing what those codexes are all about rather than any plan to make either of those armies.

RichBlake
11-04-2009, 04:30
Tangentially... I've also just purchased a Blood Angels codex and am looking at purchasing a cheap Dark Angels codex as well but that's more for entertainment and just out of curiosity for seeing what those codexes are all about rather than any plan to make either of those armies.

Wait, what?

The Blood Angels codex is available for free off the Gamesworkshop website.

nexttothemoon
11-04-2009, 07:55
Wait, what?

The Blood Angels codex is available for free off the Gamesworkshop website.

Well I got my BA codex as part of a recent auction I just won... a bunch of figures and a Blood Angels codex so I assume it's pretty old. :) I wouldn't actually pay for it separately but since it was thrown in it should be interesting to look through.

Eulenspiegel
11-04-2009, 09:38
Great info everyone, thanks a lot. I'm getting a great education in the rules of various alliances along the way...
Note that Witch Hunters (i.e. Sisters of Battle) and Daemon Hunters have their own rules regarding Allies, it doesn´t work that way for other armies.

Seriously though... :) I guess in the end it just comes down to your modeling and conversion skills as to what you can put into an army. Correct?

Being new to this I am sensing (and I could be wrong) that there might be two general camps in WH40K when it comes to "counts as" conversions and modifications... those that want to encourage creativity and let players design their units as they see fit as part of whatever "chapter" they desire to make and those that still want people to adhere and stick to the general flavors and fluffy themes of the codexes and use only units applicable to the fluff guidelines of their respective codexes.
Quite correct. If you plan on playing in a store or a gaming group, it´s a good idea to first watch some games and note what kind of conversions are being fielded.
If you just play in a group with friends then do what you´re comfortable with.

Tangentially... I've also just purchased a Blood Angels codex (...)
This one should be outdated. Keep it for the pictures, you wouldn´t be selling it for much, anyway.
The current Blood Angels codex is a pdf document that is available here (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?community=&catId=cat210004&categoryId=600005&aId=7000010).

the1stpip
11-04-2009, 12:48
Model wise, go ahead.

My Word Bearers use Immolators cos they look better. Anyone who complains are reminded that they actually have a larger silhouette, and therefore it is beneficial to them.

If you prefer a different model, then do it, so long as it doesn't cause confusion.

htj
11-04-2009, 13:13
One thing to note about using the Exorcist frame, the gunners for the Immolator and in the Rhino cupola are both quite obviously Sisters of Battle. You'd have to find some way of replacing them to make the tanks look like Marine tanks. For a fun time, have a look around this forum at what happens when you mention female Space Marines.

victorpofa
14-04-2009, 20:55
I am going to use a 2nd edition Immolator as a Razorback with TL Heavy Flamers for a codex chapter. The only issue is the gunner. The Flamers have the Sister Gunner's hands molded on the weapon. :mad: I have not started that army yet (Salamanders) so I still have time to decide how I want to handle this issue.

To the OP: as long as they are modeled as a close equivalent to a tank in your actual army and are using the stats in your army's codex like in my example above I don't see a problem.