PDA

View Full Version : Black Library

Tennboy
10-04-2009, 14:54
So I'm currently reading Dan Abbett's Double Eagle. It took about a month to clear the first 30 pages, but now I'm really enjoying the book. The same thing happened with "Only in Death", getting through the first several chapters was like pulling teeth, but I consider it one of my favorite in the series now. I'm actually thinking of giving the first HH book another try as I was only able to get bout 40 pages into it before giving up.

So what is everyone's favorite 40K novels? Is it the HH stuff, the Epic Guant's Ghosts, the one off Guard Novels? What novels did you struggle in the beginning with, just to not be able to put it down in the end?

Metaphorazine
10-04-2009, 14:58
The only Black Library stuff I've enjoyed has been the Ciaphas Cain books, havn't tried too many of the others though. Anything I've looked at with SM in it has been absolutely horrible.

Mannimarco
10-04-2009, 15:11
most of the gaunts ghosts books were good, id reccomend necropolis

Tennboy
10-04-2009, 15:30
@ Metaphorazine - I haven't read any of the Ciaphas Cain stuff, but I agree that on average the Marine material is not as good as the guard stuff.

@ mannimarco - I've read all the Gaunt books, they are truly some of the best SciFi stuff I've ever read. I especially enjoyed the tank battles in Necropolis though.

Any good Ork books out there other than Fifteen Hour and Rebel Winter?

EVIL INC
10-04-2009, 15:56
Gaunts Ghosts, Eisenhorn, Ravoner, many of the HH boks. If you can, get your hands on the Inquisition War trilogy to see how it was in the days of Rogue Trader.
Notice that most of these are Abnet's?

sigur
10-04-2009, 16:09
I'm currently reading the Ciaphas Cain books and they are nice. At least I haven't found anything really annoying about them yet. Probably my favorites from the Black Library. Recommended.

Inquisition War was pretty cool but it's been a loooooong time since I read it (also haven't read chaos child) so maybe I'd judge them differently today. Same with Space Marine but it really feels old and weird now. Still, maybe one of the better SM novels out there.

The Last Chancers books are ok to read but maybe a bit embarassing at times. Lots of sweat, muscles, grunts and beefy, bare-chested fistfights. :p The last one was actually pretty cool. Probably enjoyed those books more than the Gaunt's Ghosts stories.

A year ago or so I read two or three of the Gaunt's Ghosts novels. Well, yeah. Let's put it this way: Based on what I read about the imperial guard and 40k, I'm not sharing Mr.Abnett's ideas about it in most ways. I have to admit that the writing is kind of good (for BL standards) though. On the tank battles in Necropolis, I'm kinda partial. They were well done but I'm not completely sure if they were necessary.

BL's books with short stories are ok for the most part. I liked Deathwing (they probably changed quite a lot of the detals though if it's still in print) and Tales from the Dark Millenium was OK.

Frontier
10-04-2009, 16:11
I've been told that Eisenhorn is classic.

Hlokk
10-04-2009, 16:20
I quite enjoyed the Ciphas Cain stuff, its more light hearted than the more serious and dour GG books

As far as the Ghosts books go, Im enjoying these less and less, simply because Abnett will spend 300 pages telling a story and wrapping it up with a deus machina ending (ie: Honour Guard, Straight Silver, His Last Command) where all his threads for the story are resolved in about 4 pages and Im left feeling cheated. He also badly needs reighning in about who he's killing. We've now seen the departures of Bragg, Milo, Corbec, Soric, Feygor, Caffran, Cuu and others . At first, it was shocking, now he seems to be doing it because he can. I get that people die in war, I just have to question the freqency at which he's killing off the series and my favourite characters.

As far as the HH series, hit and miss. Hits are definitely Legion, Galaxy in Flames and Mechanicum. Misses are Battle for the Abyss and Descent of Angels.

I did like the new dark apostle series, which seems very cool.

Lord of Night was also a favourite of mine and the only BL book I've been desperate for a sequal for. Im hoping the main character makes an appearance in the Night Lords HH book if they ever do one

One unfairly overlooked series of books, in the warhammer stable, are the ambassador series by Graham Mcneill. I've read them christ knows how many times and I love them.

As far as Eisenhorn and Ravenor, I thought Eisenhorn was brilliant, Ravenor I didnt care for as much because its about a flying wardrobe.

The Last Chancers aren't brilliant books, all first person and their an OK read, but not exactly earth shattering stuff. Characters are one dimensional, ending is cheesy as hell and I've never been a fan of Gav to be fair.

IN all honestly, the BL has two good things going for it, Dan Abnett and Graham McNeill who is, in my opinion, shaping up to eclipse David Gemell

The blood angels books are rubbish, I read them in prison, they are poo.

Robineng
10-04-2009, 16:51
I've been told that Eisenhorn is classic.

Eisenhorn is good, but the characters are a bit too nice and good... Atleast from what I can recall, been awhile since I read it.

Tennboy
10-04-2009, 17:52
I bought the Eisenhorn Omnibus, but I think i only made it 100 pages into the first book before I put it down. Just couldn't get into it. If ya'll give it that big of an endorsement, I guess I could try and pick it up again.

Hlokk
10-04-2009, 17:53
I bought the Eisenhorn Omnibus, but I think i only made it 100 pages into the first book before I put it down. Just couldn't get into it. If ya'll give it that big of an endorsement, I guess I could try and pick it up again.

ENDORSEMENT

Is that big enough?

CraftworldsRus
10-04-2009, 18:26
I have read alot of BL books, and can recommend Storm of Iron.(I think that is what it is called, the Iron Warriors book.)

Frontier
10-04-2009, 18:49
ENDORSEMENT

Is that big enough?

Humor on Warseer. Excellent! This is good!

laudarkul
10-04-2009, 19:12
Gaunt's series, Eisenhorn trilogy, Soul Drinkers also...Let's not forget Storm of Iron and the Dark Apostle/Disciple...In top also HH:)...

Sir_Turalyon
10-04-2009, 19:24
My top four titles, in order of favour:

Lord of the Night - simply the best book BL ever published.

Ciaphas Cain series - good read and most realistic depiction of 40k universe anywhere in BL (as for people born in this world it's not dark and depressing place, it's business as usual).

Last Chancers trilogy - if you need your 40k to be dark and depressing without it being stupid. Bonus points for constantly (d)evolving character personality.

Angels of Darkness - purely character based fiction; if you want Space Marines who at least pretend they are believable people, read this one.

As of other books i've read: Storm of Iron is nice read but not much more - it flows nicely as you read it then ends with all plots fading and dying uninterestingly. HH has few nice books (Galaxy in Flames, Descent of Angels), few weak books (most of the rest) and some utter nonsense (Battle for the Abbys, Legion). I threw Gaunt's Ghosts at the wall after first chapter, then decided that series this popular probably deserve another chance and read a few books before throwing it again and never picking it up.

Generaly my preference seem to be at least two-dimensional characters (or one-dimensional but more interesting then "he's like a coolest guy in a galaxy and has a chainsword) ), believable combat scenes (if you have protagonist defeat much stronger opponent, make him do it by being smarter, not by being protagonist).Character development is a welcome bonus. I seem to have trouble standing characters I would be ashamed to roleplay myself, and would punish as GM for lack of player's imagination...

Hlokk
10-04-2009, 19:30
more interesting then "he's like a coolest guy in a galaxy and has a chainsword) ), believable combat scenes (if you have protagonist defeat much stronger opponent, make him do it by being smarter, not by being protagonist).
I think thats a fair comment to level at the Ghosts books, I mean, look at Mkoll, the guy takes out a dreadnought with a grenade, a lasgun and a cactus, he paggers 40+ cultists in the same book, he's an expert tactician, a stealth expert and a crack shot. :wtf:

Mkstein
10-04-2009, 21:46
Personally I really like the Gaunt's Ghosts books. Yes, they are super Imperial guardsmen who can take on nigh on anything and win, but it's an enjoyable read. I do agree about the endings point, that is true, but the other 300 pages are good enough for me to forget about the ending.

Ciaphas Cain was amazing for me - I found it real fun to read, and got hooked on the teaser chapter on the BL website.

Some of the other Imperial Guard books I found a bit too 'get stuck in and fight, YAAARRRGGGGHHH', which is what I think Abnett excels at not doing (hence the great books).

But to top it all off, Double Eagle. The best BL book I've read - yes there are some storyline glitches, but so what!? It's a really fun book, and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone. It's got enough non-shooty/stabby/combat in general bits to keep it fresh and real, but enough of the afor mentioned bits to be good.:angel:

Captain Corallis
10-04-2009, 21:58
The Imperial guard range of novels are quite good, not as clean cut as the marines although some of the endings are agonizingly cryptic( I'm looking at you here Rebel Winter)
They serve as a good counter to the super awesome guardsmen of the tanith 1st and the coming novels look really good too. (Cadians vs plague zombies? i'll have some of that)

Killgore
10-04-2009, 22:22
There are some cracking one off Black Library books

Lord of Night about a Night Lord chaos marine stuck in a hive city and Angels of Darkness about Dark Angels and their murky past are both great reads

I have 50+ BL books and most of the Inferno magazines, there may be one or two stinkers but that doesnt stop me buying nearly every new 40k release

warchild9
10-04-2009, 23:51
I read the arbite books following Shira Calpurnia-ok

the Space Wolves- the orginals were good but Lee l I don't know

I read Faith and Fire like 4 times but I play SOB so very biased

HH are good some just suck