PDA

View Full Version : Cold One Knights, how many is too many?

Bounce Ballington
10-04-2009, 16:42
So what i'd like to know is, how many and in what size units is most ideal, they are without a doubt my favourite models in the current dark elf range. And i will almost definately include around 10-12 of them, generally playing games of 1000-2000 points.

The main question for me is, what size units? I wouldn't class them as 'super heavy' nowhere near in the same league as blood knights of chaos knights which would normally be fielded in the 5-6 size squads. Having said that they're somewhat tougher than cavalry such as silver helms...

Thanks.

W0lf
10-04-2009, 17:07
2x6 with nobles.

Works well.

I did once work out a list something like;

Dreadlord on dragon
3x nobles
3x 5 DR
3x 6 CoKs
2x Hydra.

Not too shabby with ring on a champ and MR 2 units.

Monsterzonk
11-04-2009, 13:27
I'd say go two units of six. deploying them in more than one rank simply is a waste of points. Six wide should ensure that all of them get into base2base with the enemy and can fight. If you want to, you can add a Noble or Dreadlord to a unit.

Tae
11-04-2009, 13:34
So what i'd like to know is, how many and in what size units is most ideal, they are without a doubt my favourite models in the current dark elf range. And i will almost definately include around 10-12 of them, generally playing games of 1000-2000 points.

The main question for me is, what size units? I wouldn't class them as 'super heavy' nowhere near in the same league as blood knights of chaos knights which would normally be fielded in the 5-6 size squads. Having said that they're somewhat tougher than cavalry such as silver helms...

Thanks.

Whilst I would agree that they may not be the 'super heavy' types like Chaos Knights, they do have a 2+ AS.

Plus thing to remember with cavalry is you'll almost always get little to no static combat res. Having a second rank is usually pointless as most times they will get hit by something before you get your charge in, meaning if you have taken a unit of 10 the 4 guys at the back are doing sweet fa for your entire battle.

Personaly I'm far more inclined to take them in 2 units of say 6/7 of them rather than 1 larger unit of 10-12. This not only means that they will all (when they reach combat) get to fight, but your opponent will have to worry about 2 units of CoK's, which means splitting magic/shooting between the two units rather than being able to focus on just the one.

Necromancy Black
11-04-2009, 14:42
While I'm far more use to the Lizardmen kind, I agree with the above and this is also how my riders are run.

6 wide is a good spread and doesn't put a dent on mobility. Adding a rank is costly, arguably of no real benefit and makes a big giant target for things like cannons, bolt throwers and spells like Spirit of the Forge.

Dr.Mercury
11-04-2009, 15:37
5 Knights with a dreadlord or master in the unit.
6 wide frontage, it has never disappointed me!

ekxw
11-04-2009, 15:41
never more than 6, for chivaldry its the best option better 2 units of 6 than one of 12.

and 5 knights + a hightborn better

badgeraddict
11-04-2009, 18:45
5 or 6 wide is usually the best. Maximum unit size 7 I'd say.

5 + character is quite a popular choice.