PDA

View Full Version : DE Dreadlord Configurations

CaliforniaGamer
10-04-2009, 17:24
Which of these sound more appealing:

~DE dreadlord on foot in BG unit with bells/whistles (perhaps null talisman, pot of str and hydra blade?)

~DE on darksteed with pendantoK, 1+ armor, lance or ?? as a stand alone model absent of a unit

~DE on cold one with PoK, regen armor, lance ?? in Cold One unit

basically looking for guidance on what do you this guy and where to slap him.

I dont want the dragon-lord config. Im not too found of the manticore either (but could be convinced here).

Im fairly concerned about the lord with stupidity due to the cold one...

LKHERO
10-04-2009, 17:32
Crimson Death, Armor of Eternal Servitude, Pendant of Kaeleth, Sea Cloak, + Xbow on a Cold One.
On a Cold One, I think this gives you 2+/1+ shooting AS, inverse ward, 4+ Regen. On a Dragon, it would be 3+/2+ AS.
I also like a BSB with Armor of Midnight + Death Piercer on whatever (I usually do Manticore).

Just note that a Lord with Death Piercer on a Manticore charges with 8 KB attacks (from his mount too) that re-rolls to hit. But I would rather run a BSB with that since I take a monster-heavy DE list with 2x Hydras, Lord w/ the above config on a Dragon + this BSB on a Manti.

CaliforniaGamer
10-04-2009, 18:04
Crimson Death, Armor of Eternal Servitude, Pendant of Kaeleth, Sea Cloak, + Xbow on a Cold One.
On a Cold One, I think this gives you 2+/1+ shooting AS, inverse ward, 4+ Regen.

Do you run this bad boy solo or within a CoK unit?

LKHERO
10-04-2009, 18:06
Do you run this bad boy solo or within a CoK unit?

You can run him in a unit of CoK with a BSB holding the Hydra Banner, and the CoK standard bearer holding the banner that makes your unit Armor Piercing.

Otherwise, I run him on a Dragon, flying hand in hand with my BSB KBer.

Dark Apostle197
10-04-2009, 18:22
I run him with exe axe and blood armor in a unit of ASF black gaurd. He basically deals with whatever the BG can't. Its funny how people cry cheese at him when there is soooo much worse that they didn't cry cheese at.

LKHERO
10-04-2009, 18:27
I run him with exe axe and blood armor in a unit of ASF black gaurd. He basically deals with whatever the BG can't. Its funny how people cry cheese at him when there is soooo much worse that they didn't cry cheese at.

This works really well.. considering how after 4 attacks he'll be at 1+ easy.

W0lf
10-04-2009, 18:30
My Dreadlord builds;

on foot;

Pendant of Khaleth, Great weapon, Potion of Strength, Regen armour

He rides with black guard with S9 for 2 rounds of combat... nothing like dropping 4 chaos knights before they attack or slapping a chaos lord. With pendant+regen this guy can take pretty much anything and win. To be especially nasty put crimson death on the BG unit champ.

mounted;

Sea cloak, heavy armour, coldone
Crimson death, Pendant of Khaleth, 2x Null talisman.

Nicely compliments a unit of cold ones. Its nice to have him lead one unit and a noble with hydra banner in another.

Ive heard alot about the hydra blade+potion combo but personally i dont rate it because S4 fightning characters are bum (and he will be most the time)

Shamfrit
10-04-2009, 18:39
I am experimenting heavily with the three elven armies at the minute to fight off or fight myself into temptation, and at the minute, I've very fond of:

Dreadlord
Great Weapon, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Repeater Crossbow
The Guiding Eye, Pearl of Infinite Bleakness, Armour of Eternal Servitude.
250 Points.

I run him in a small group of 8 bog standard shades, who scout, offload buckets of shots, then move into position to cause mass havoc with the Guiding Eye giving the entire unit re-rolls, then Highborn charges off on his own to pin units, with a heavy core/fast moving MSU dark elf army.

No Hydras needed :D

CaliforniaGamer
10-04-2009, 22:00
My Dreadlord builds;

on foot;

Pendant of Khaleth, Great weapon, Potion of Strength, Regen armour

He rides with black guard with S9 for 2 rounds of combat... nothing like dropping 4 chaos knights before they attack or slapping a chaos lord. With pendant+regen this guy can take pretty much anything and win. To be especially nasty put crimson death on the BG unit champ.

mounted;

Sea cloak, heavy armour, coldone
Crimson death, Pendant of Khaleth, 2x Null talisman.

Nicely compliments a unit of cold ones. Its nice to have him lead one unit and a noble with hydra banner in another.

Ive heard alot about the hydra blade+potion combo but personally i dont rate it because S4 fightning characters are bum (and he will be most the time)

what about:

Dreadlord
General; Hand Weapon; Repeater Crossbow; Sea Dragon Cloak; Shield; Eternal Hatred
Cold One
Thick-skinned; Causes Fear; Stupid
Crimson Death
Armor of Eternal Servitude
Pendant of Khaeleth

With 5 CoK FC with Champ with RoHotek, Armor Piercing Banner then.

LKHERO
10-04-2009, 22:04
ASF on Cavalry is a waste. Armor piercing is much better for combat res :)

And you want 6 wide if you're taking the hero with it.

Goruax
10-04-2009, 23:26
You also might wanna take off the point values, just so you don't break forum rules.

Personally I'm on the recieving end of Dreadlords, and I really dislike the Executioner's Axe/Blood Armour Combo. Especially in the ASF Black Guard unit.
Mind you, he is vulnerable to Killing Blow.

W0lf
10-04-2009, 23:42
make it 6 cold ones and id say thats pretty good.

Id still take MR 2 (2x null talisman) over eternal servitude as he wont be dieing anyway.

Anoither body and MR will go along way to making sure he gets to CC

theunwantedbeing
11-04-2009, 00:05
You also might wanna take off the point values, just so you don't break forum rules.

Personally I'm on the recieving end of Dreadlords, and I really dislike the Executioner's Axe/Blood Armour Combo. Especially in the ASF Black Guard unit.
Mind you, he is vulnerable to Killing Blow.

So far my dreadlord with this setup (no black guard or ASF banner) he's killed a couple of stegadons and carved up a chaos lord (forgot about words of pain on the haos lord as well!!)
So long as you get the charge, he wins.

I am considering putting him in a unit of black guard with the ASF banner though. Just because it allows me the flexibility of letting him take a charge.

I'de lose the banner off my knights though....which is useful if they fail their stupid test and get themselves charged....

whiskeytango
11-04-2009, 18:51
ASF on Cavalry is a waste. Armor piercing is much better for combat res :)

normally i would agree, but CO arent normal cavalry. They tend to go stupid right when you need them. I've had ALOT of luck running this:
Dreadlord on CO
AoES, PoK, potion of strength, shield, SDC, GW
in a unit of 5 COKs, FC, champ with either the ring or a null talisman, and the ASF banner. BSB goes there too with full armor, GW, and Hydra Banner.

Even when charged, in the1st round this unit fights like a unit of HW & shield armed ASF chaos warriors with 21 str 4 attacks, and 9 str 6 attacks, plus 5 of those can be str 9 for a turn if you please. Thats if you dont charge. Imagine what you can do with 18 str 6 attacks, 20 if both units have an expanded front rank.

edit: to be fair though, i only am able to run this because i dont run the ASF BG anymore, freeing up that banner.

W0lf
11-04-2009, 19:13
I really dont like putting hydra banner + lord in the same unit. Such a waste of potential imo and overkill tot eh max.

HYdra banner cold ones will easily rape stuff without a 200 pt dreadlord.

whiskeytango
11-04-2009, 19:46
I really dont like putting hydra banner + lord in the same unit. Such a waste of potential imo and overkill tot eh max.

HYdra banner cold ones will easily rape stuff without a 200 pt dreadlord.

Cant really argue with that. I just like having my lord with my knights for fluff reasons, and i also dont have a better place for my BSB. Also, i cant imagine changing this unit after it demolished (at the same time) the unit of chaos knights it over ran into and the warriors that subsequently charged it, while my lord tore apart the khorne lord on jug in a challenge. Both units broke, both were ran down.

disclaimer: this will never happen again though, i think i used all my good juju in that one combat.

CaliforniaGamer
11-04-2009, 19:57
normally i would agree, but CO arent normal cavalry. They tend to go stupid right when you need them.

I would guarantee this would happen to me, especially if I flew 1500 miles to go to a tourney. Murphy's law.

I swear Im running only totally idiot-proof 100% reliable (or close to it as I can get) lists when I travel. If Im merely driving across town, sure.

chippyman64
12-04-2009, 14:07
My dreadlord

sea dragon cloak
black dragon :)
ring of hotek (12"miscasts)
armor of eternal servitude (regeneration)
caledors bane (+3 str on the charge)
__________________________________________________ ___
i use this guy to take on: chariots (str 7 is sooo good against tomb kings)
knights but only on charge
anything really