PDA

View Full Version : Sell me 7th Ed FB

Bingo the Fun Monkey
10-04-2009, 20:20
Hey all, I had been a long time warhammer player (well, not that long, only 9 years) when I was smitten by the Warmachine bug. While I still enjoy my warmachine and hordes, I've been irrationally reluctant to move back into fantasy. I suppose a part of it was that I felt my O/G got the short end of the stick when it came to this edition (being the only army that got hit by the cavalryhammer nerf bat). I understand they are still viable and people can win with them.

I want back in FB because I miss gaming with my FB friends, but now I find myself not wanting to paint 200+ models (this being a result of playing a skirmish game and seriously watering down my paint coats). Perhaps I have a misunderstanding of the game or whatever, but here's a list of things I like and dislike.

Pros
- Fluff is great
- I like the grand scale of the game
- I like that army building in FB is not like building a MTG deck (as WM occasionally feels)
- Unit formations, ranks and standards, flanks, etc seem unique only to this game (and recently WotR)
- It's not hard to make campaigns or custom scenarios
- Over-running into an engaged unit for the double dip killage potential

Cons:
- Painting 60 of the same model
- the general feel of line 'em up and bash 'em
- the lack of terrain interaction (I understand that removing the skirmish aspect causes this)
- the fact that some armies are generally accepted as overpowered (as opposed to certain units or builds)
- it takes sooooo long to set up
- dispell scroll caddies and the magic system in general

I used to love this game and put 1/3 of my conscious thoughts on a daily basis into this game. Being exposed to other game mechanics have probably made me more cynical about certain things (mostly the cons I listed). Even so, I want to play and get back into the game. It's such a great world to escape into...

Should I get back into FB? What armies would mitigate the cons that I listed? Should I wait for more army releases or would that just make me jump back in a few months before a new edition?

Luthor
10-04-2009, 21:02
IDK, I'm new on the FB scene as well after trying some 40K. Do you happen to go to the GW store in Novi, I notice you live in Ann Arbor which is about a 1/2 hour drive from my house.

On the painting note, I have learned that if you build one box at a time it generally doesn't feel as monotonous. If you do everything completely you also get more bang for your buck.

Sirroelivan
10-04-2009, 21:11
Hmm, for the painting you could avoid this several regiments at once, and off course, by doing conversions. Also, you can make each trooper individual in most armies. (For example, I'm painting my Warriors in different colours, but keeping the same colour of cloak to tie them together)

About the set-up: Well it depends what you consider to be a long time, but you get faster in this after a while. Also, deploying your troops is as much a part of the game as the rest, since the tactics start there.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
10-04-2009, 22:03
Yea, deployment is a huge part of the game (esp for dwarfs!), and I imagine that if I got new carrying case platforms it'd probably make things easier.

I generally try to stay out of actual GW stores. It's not the store itself, but rather feeling violated by aggressive sales pitches from the staff. I know that they're required to do it but it really kills the magic for me. My FLGS also has all GW stuff on 20% off :-D.

O&G'sRule
10-04-2009, 23:04
Do wood elves