PDA

View Full Version : Mechanised Guardsmen or Veterans

SonofUltramar
10-04-2009, 21:27
Simple question really, if you were to do a Mechanised IG army which one would you prefer to use Guardsmen or Veterans?

I've been trying to way up the options recently, my main sticking point is taking 50% more Guardsmen squads than Veterans increasing the number of scoring units but also kill points.

The next issue I stumble across is the difference in BS and the increased availability of Special Weapons for the Vets giving them a higher damage potential compared to Guardsmen.

So numbers or hitting power is what it boils down to for me.

How about you?

Raxmei
10-04-2009, 21:32
If I wanted to use my transports I'd use vets. Their special weapons options take better advantage of the mobility. If I just wanted to spam chimeras I'd use platoons.

invinciblebug
10-04-2009, 21:41
Veterans.

The ability to take 3 special weapons is invaluable for mech guard, you can drive up 12'' and unleash 3 plasmas or meltas.

The main thing normal infantry does good is bring masses of ablative wounds with heavy weapons, ablative wounds are wasted on mech due to being inside chimeras and heavy weapons are wasted on mech due to being on the move most of the time.

Additionally if you move up close to an enemy as you do with mech you want quality troopers who can take the enemy down, troopers like veterans.

SonofUltramar
10-04-2009, 21:50
I was thinking Vets with Plasma and Melta but the option for a Heavy Flamer keeps drawing my in, for some reason a pair of Meltaguns and a Heavy Flamer just sounds amazing to me.

Darkhorse
10-04-2009, 22:05
Generally when I use my mechanised company I want to use the IG command structure, so the normal platoons.
If points allow I'll take the special weapon squads to increase the hitting power.

In 1500 point games I'll be forced to use a veteran squad to keep points down.

SonofUltramar
10-04-2009, 22:15
In 1500 point games I'll be forced to use a veteran squad to keep points down.

I think this is the other problem, taking two mechanised platoons is around 700pts with upgrades so I went with one mech platoon and a vet squad which led me to start this thread as the more I look at it I can take an effective list with Vets as the core as long as I don't go overboard on upgrades

Akuma
10-04-2009, 22:24
Vets all the way. BS 4 is very good - next to 3 special weapons it makes great all around soldiers. Althought ... keeping them in chimera will be a total must - 5x Firing points allow for nice drive byes from 3x Plasma Guns.

Da Black Gobbo
10-04-2009, 23:07
Vets unless you are playing with Al'harem then a min sized platoon in chimeras with heavy flammers is also quite good.

Maine
10-04-2009, 23:52
Consider at least giving your HQ and Platoon command squads Chimeras for extra protection and mobility to deliver their orders (assuming the Mobile Command Vehicle rule isn't limited to a single Chimera).

My Steel Legion will include two platoons of 2 to 3 squads each in Chimeras, and one platoon of 3 squads on foot. Then I will use my stormtroopers (the Inquisitorial models, Kasrkins can stuff it) either as stormtroopers in Valkyries, or veterans in Valkyries, I'll have to try both out and see which is more effective.

Darkhorse
11-04-2009, 16:40
In the outgoing codex my mechanised squads became standardised as Vet. Sgt. with bolter, Grenade Launcher and Autocannon. Mounted in a Chimera with Multilaser, H. Bolter, H. Stubber and HK Missile.
Having an entire army of vets. strikes me as, 'a bit gamey'.

Maxtermynd
11-04-2009, 16:48
I guess my major problem with mech platoons is that while inside the chimera your troops can't benefit from orders (or at least I believe this is the case given what I've read on the rumor site here). So with normal guardsmen you will still have a lot of lasguns, but you'll only have one special and your heavy weapon either a)won't be able to fire unless you decide to hold still/get out and fire the next turn or b)won't be able to give it the BID or reroll cover saves orders while in the chimera.

Vets with plasguns in chimeras, on the other hand, will fit very well into my slightly gangster themed army...

invinciblebug
11-04-2009, 16:50
What do people think of putting all your command squads in chimeras? I mean even in a non mechanised army. They add a bit of fire power and they keep the command squads relatively safe were they can issue orders from inside chimeras with added mobility. Additionally they can make desperate objective grabs in the last turn.

decker_cky
11-04-2009, 17:00
Command squads in chimeras is just good policy. It protects your most vulnerable units.

Maxtermynd
11-04-2009, 17:02
I personally love it. On the one hand you give extra protection to your squishy super-order givers/advisers, and on the other you can tool them up with 4 meltas/plasmas and go to town just like you would with a vet squad. I think with PCS it's a little less necessary, but if you have the points go for it.

Kalec
11-04-2009, 21:19
Mechanizing regular guardsmen platoons is way too expensive. Vet squads pack enough firepower to make them worth mechanizing, infantry squads don't.

laudarkul
11-04-2009, 22:50
I would say Veterans since the BS4+ sometimes make a big difference... Coupled with 3 special weapons and the enemy should fear you...

Trench_Raider
12-04-2009, 01:29
Command squads in chimeras is just good policy. It protects your most vulnerable units.

Not only that, but it's a similar concept to the reason some people will take razorback with their SM squads, even if they are too lareg to utilize them as a transport. The attached vehicle is a mobile fire support platform that adds to the killing power of the force and increases it's options. I like to compare it to the role of the BMD in old Soviet VDV units: yes it's technically a transport, but it's more of a fire support vehicle than anything else.

TR

Khornies & milk
12-04-2009, 01:47
Just to 'put it out there'...how does Vet's in Valks/Vendettas, and Platoons in Chimeras sound. Or better vice-versa?