PDA

View Full Version : can a wizard take extra arcane items

The Anarchist
10-04-2009, 20:55
can an empire wizard take a usual arcane item and also take a arcane item from the common magic items selection.

for example rod of power and a powerstone, or would this be two arcane items and so not allowed?

Crube
10-04-2009, 20:57
The only exceptions are those listed, so dispell scrolls, and O&G's Magic mushrooms spring to mind.

So a rod of power and a powerstone would not be permitted.

The Anarchist
10-04-2009, 21:04
bugger, thankyou crube :)

Nurgling Chieftain
10-04-2009, 21:33
Actually, a power stone is one of the listed exceptions, so you can take a power stone and a normal arcane item. See its entry in the BRB.

Note also that this has nothing to do with it being a "common" item, it's just a special exception.

rottahn
10-04-2009, 22:26
check your rulebook under the common magic items section. it describes that dispel scrolls and power stones, while arcane items, dont use up your "one arcane item per wizard" allowence.

Necromancy Black
11-04-2009, 01:07
check your rulebook under the common magic items section. it describes that dispel scrolls and power stones, while arcane items, dont use up your "one arcane item per wizard" allowence.

Actually they do, they just let you take one other arcane item. This is why I argue that if you take a scroll and a stone on a wizard you can't take a third arcane item, but meh.

rottahn
11-04-2009, 05:19
well if you take an item and in taking said item it gives you another allowance, then i would say that my vernacular of "it doesnt use up your allowance" is valid. at any rate, what i said stands.

and to your other comment, im of the opinion that you can take 3 power stones and a dispel scroll on a lord sorcerer, but meh.

Necromancy Black
11-04-2009, 06:54
and to your other comment, im of the opinion that you can take 3 power stones and a dispel scroll on a lord sorcerer, but meh.

You can. But you can't take 2 powerstones, a dispel scroll and then a different kind of arcane item.

rottahn
11-04-2009, 16:58
after rereading the entries in the BRB, im thinking that you can. both items say you can have multiples of each of them and another arcane item. i read this to mean "when you take this item, it uses your arcane item allowance, but it lets you have another arcane item"

Lord Yawgmoth
11-04-2009, 17:17
after rereading the entries in the BRB, im thinking that you can. both items say you can have multiples of each of them and another arcane item. i read this to mean "when you take this item, it uses your arcane item allowance, but it lets you have another arcane item"

Oh God don't let me break out Mannfred Von Carstein with that ruling....
...I plead to you......

...too.......much.......rape......

Edit: in case you don't have access to the rules, Mannfred may take two Arcane items, with no points limit whatsoever....
I'll take a dispel scroll, which lets me take a dispel scroll, which lets me take a dispel scroll.... or, I'll take a Powerstone, which lets me take a powerstone....which lets me take a powerstone. (Hell, why not both, have a Mannfred Cast/Dispel army.)

narrativium
11-04-2009, 21:15
That doesn't make sense. Three dispel scrolls is more than two arcane items.

Necromancy Black
11-04-2009, 22:51
"One other" can mean either mean an arcane item or an arcane item ofa different type.

Seeing as how scrolls say you can as many of them as you want, I think the second meaning is correct.

rottahn
11-04-2009, 23:49
Oh God don't let me break out Mannfred Von Carstein with that ruling....
...I plead to you......

...too.......much.......rape......

Edit: in case you don't have access to the rules, Mannfred may take two Arcane items, with no points limit whatsoever....
I'll take a dispel scroll, which lets me take a dispel scroll, which lets me take a dispel scroll.... or, I'll take a Powerstone, which lets me take a powerstone....which lets me take a powerstone. (Hell, why not both, have a Mannfred Cast/Dispel army.)

this doesnt make sense. then you would be breaking mannfred's rule of "he can have two arcane items"

The_Dragon_Rising
12-04-2009, 13:05
this doesnt make sense. then you would be breaking mannfred's rule of "he can have two arcane items"

I think hes getting at the fact that you can take a scroll and still count the amount of arcane items that you have as '0' therefore he can take a scroll and count it as 0 items, then another, and another until he has 50 which count as '0' items.

Necromancy Black
12-04-2009, 13:16
I think hes getting at the fact that you can take a scroll and still count the amount of arcane items that you have as '0' therefore he can take a scroll and count it as 0 items, then another, and another until he has 50 which count as '0' items.

1250 points later your friends refuse to play with special characters any more :p

The Anarchist
12-04-2009, 14:36
i think i may have opened a can of worms on this one lol

WarlockOMork
12-04-2009, 14:52
"You can have any number of scrolls, (powerstones work the same way as scrolls).
as well as your normal one arcane item".

so yes you can take 2 scrolls a stone and some cheap arcane item on your mage lord if you wanted.

So unfortunatly in the case of manfred that would probaly mean he could take unlimited stones, rules wise.
tough i think it is very very cheesy. (and in need of an errata)

but do you really want to start the battle with just 1 char a unit and over 50 powerstones.
Doubt anyone would ever want to play you again. (unless they get the first turn and can line up the Catapults/bolt throwers/cannons.)

Atrahasis
12-04-2009, 14:56
Yes, you can have any number of scrolls in addition to one other arcane item.

ONE other arcane item. A power stone is an arcane item, and so it is one other arcane item.

Scroll + Stone = No other arcane items.

WarlockOMork
12-04-2009, 14:58
after carefully re-reading all the rules and any errata i could find.
I was convinced that currently RAW wise Scrolls + 1 stone is correct. or Stones + 1 Scroll is correct. Scrolls + Stones = incorect
And Stones+Scrolls + other item definitly cant happen.
(but who cares i mean come on, you only got 100pts max :p , how often is it gonna happen, just stack up on scrolls and go get your item. and stack the other on a second char + your normal item)

So these are your only options.
you can indeed either carry X Stones, + 1 Scroll.
or Scrolls + 1 stone.
or if your an OnG player Scrolls + any ammount of mushrooms, +1 arcane/(or)1 Stone.
or if OnG Stones + any ammount of mushrooms + Scrolls/1 arcane
or in the case of skaven, A Warp scroll + A Warpstorm scroll + X DScrolls + any ammount of warpstone tokens + 1 stone/1 arcane
or if skaven any ammount of Powerstones + any ammount of tokens + "1 arcane"/ "1 Warp scroll/1 Warpstorm scroll/1 Dscroll"

Go skaven!

Ps: this also leads me to the conclusion that.
What Manfred Does: He allows you to pick two extra arcane items, wich are In addition to his normal stuff.
What a scroll does: Its an arcane item. You can have multiple of them, you can have them in addition to your normal stuff.
As manfred can have Two extra arcane items in addition to his normal stuff.
So he could have two scrolls. (aka two arcane items, of wich he now has multiple(wich is allowed), in addition to his normal stuff(doubley allowed).)
Same goes for Powerstones.

Edited: Rewritten.
Tough i still think both scrolls and stones where meant to work exactly the same, and both be unlimited. See BEEGfrog's post (next one)
wich semi- agree'd with my previous version. (That GW really sucks at writing rules clearly)

another edit: i had a wait a minute moment: if both "one other arcane item" counts against each other. then... you can also only have 1 Scroll & 1 stone max if you wanted both on the same char, as both are arcane items. due to that anoying way they have written it(the rules), Damn you GW!

BEEGfrog
12-04-2009, 17:09
The rules for power stones and scrolls are written subtly differently and even though they may be meant to work the same way they can be interpreted as working slightly differently.

My best interpretation of RAW was that if you picked power stones first you could have as many power stones and scrolls as you could afford, but if you picked a scroll first then you could have as many scrolls as you can afford and one power stone. Or the other way round, I just play unlimited except by points for both, it stops the brain hurting so much.

Lord Zarkov
12-04-2009, 21:20
The issue is that, although a power stone works like a scroll in that you can have other arcane items & stack it, it is not technically a scroll. So the argument goes that the scrolls and a stone both count towards the others 'one extra item'.

Atrahasis
13-04-2009, 08:05
or in the case of skaven, A Warp scroll + A Warpstorm scroll + X DScrolls +any ammount of warpstone tokens + 1 stone/1 arcane

You can't combine a warpscroll with a warpstorm scroll; a character is allowed only one bound item.

WarlockOMork
13-04-2009, 12:02
ups misread and missed the bound value, tought it was just a scroll.
Yeah your obviously right. i mean Duh. ><

t was late, and i rarely play my skaven ^^.