PDA

View Full Version : To those reading the HH novels

Heimlich
10-04-2009, 23:25
I want to know if this is just me, because everything was going okay until I had to read The Flight of the Eisenstein. WOW, that's a bad book!
Nothing can ever be as bad as Lee Lightner's Wolf's Honour though......

operational_bumblebee
10-04-2009, 23:33
Haha, the Descent of Angels book is a lot worse; I gave up after the first chapter. I'm also struggling with the Legion book.

"We are Alpharius."

Groan.

Raibaru
10-04-2009, 23:36
I'm not a fan of a lot of the books put out by Black Library. Many have some good moments, but I find myself skimming more pages then I read because things just tend to go on forever with no end in site.

False Gods was an alright book, but I found myself skimming it. I'll probably move on to book 3 and see what happens. I guess I'll take your advice and "read" Flight of the Einstein at Barnes and Noble

Usually I just buy books specifically related to events that interest me. Those will be the 2 Thousand Son books coming out.

I forget the names of the books, but they involved Ultramarines, Necron, and Dark Eldar. They were alright. Same with the Farseer book (was supposed to be an Eldar trilogy, but don't think any other books ever happened).

self biased
10-04-2009, 23:37
neither were as bad as gav thorpe's attempt at scrawling a story down. i certain amount of camp should be expected. go read Dune, if you want a similar setting only more seriousness.

edit: and legion was wonderful. what is your basis for comparison?

Bigbot
10-04-2009, 23:39
I've read them all so far, yes Descent was cheesy but not as dire as people make it out to be, it just has very little to do with the current Herasy and is more setup/history based

susu.exp
10-04-2009, 23:40
I didnīt think it was that bad. But then Iīve read the Battle for the Abyss...
FotE isnīt the best of the HH, but it is not the worst. Legion felt like it was really bad for the first half, but the 2nd half pays off for this and in retrospect I canīt see how DA could have avoided making the first half read like a far too long exposition. Flight suffers from the opposite, after the first 3 books with their huge climax itīs basically just providing an ending to those and it has to be anticlimactic and everything introduced to spice up the basic plot feels somewhat tacked on.

Maine
10-04-2009, 23:43
I'm having a hard time finishing Mechanicum. I'm halfway through it and it just puts me to sleep.

warchild9
10-04-2009, 23:48
Battle for the Abyss and Descent of Angels.......SUCKED BAD

Fulgrim was the Best by far

little brother
10-04-2009, 23:48
Eisenstein was hard work to read, but it has a satisfyingly tragic/frustrating ending. You can't always have a happy ending can you?

Desecent of Angels was bloody awful and I to gave in.

Legion is awesome, stick with it.

I know Abnett can go a little deep and start making up his own stuff up, like the genotype infantry and the teenage girls who command them, but it all turns out to be good stuff, in the end, and adds to the feel of the 30th millenium. Rather than some of the stuff thats come out recently, which consists basicly of someone going somewhere , shooting someone else and then going somewhere else.

It is a really good book with action, intrigue, conspiracies and best of all 2 brilliant revelations at the end. Stick with it, if only for the ending.

a squig
11-04-2009, 00:24
No dont stick with legion its the worst book in the series by far, but if you are determined to read it just read the last 20 pages the rest is just filler.

the best overaal book are the ones with gravil in and the tales of the hersay, especialy the last church part sheer genius

SimonL
11-04-2009, 00:42
I actually found Fulgrim rather corny and OTT. Liked the first three books and FotE. Legion was ok, same with DoA (except the ending was over ridiculously quick....like Gaunt's Ghosts quick). I wish I'd never read Battle for the Abyss. I thought Mechanicum was cool, especially if you've read that short story in the Horus Heresy artbook.

Takitron
11-04-2009, 00:45
I want to know if this is just me, because everything was going okay until I had to read The Flight of the Eisenstein. WOW, that's a bad book!

wow, I thought Flight of the Eisenstein was one of the best! Fulgrim on the other hand....

I really enjoyed mechanicum and I skipped Decent of Angels entirely. I have legion and Battle for the abyss waiting after I read Titanicus

kaimarion
11-04-2009, 00:53
I've been reading the "The Flight of The Eisenstein" since it 1st came out and I'am still only on page 242, the book is pretty boring but I refuse to move on to the others that I have until I'am finished so "Legion" and "Fulgrim" are still sitting on my bookshelf doing nothing. The best GW where the graphic novels but sadly for some reason or another they stopped making them :(.

susu.exp
11-04-2009, 00:54
If you donīt read the rest of Legion, those last 20 pages wonīt make sense.
A similar thing probably applies to Descent, itīs not the last DA book and sets up the fall. You get to understand the Lion, Luthor and their relationship and without it Fallen Angels will probably make less sense. Thatīs the bad part in being the first of several books in a series with an ongoing storyline, which only has one true climax.

sabre4190
11-04-2009, 01:10
I liked the first three alot, though the second was my least favorite of the bunch. Galaxy in Flames was pretty cool i must say. I did enjoy FotE, which was interesting. Fulgrim was decent, and I thought their portrayal of his downfall was a bit lacking. Descent was my least favorite of the series, and the story just didnt work for me. Legion was alright, but the plot reveal at the end was completely ridiculous. In the awesome kind of way.

Mechanicus was okay. I never found myself caring about the characters, and cant even remember their names. Battle for the Abyss was pretty pointless, and again, I just didnt care about the characters other than the Thousand Sons sorceror and the World Eater. No depth to anyone else.

So yeah, the first 4 in the series are my favorites. After that, they just lose the depth that made the opening so great. The plot reveals are the biggest reason for reading the later books, but the actual stories are not the BL's strongest.

adreal
11-04-2009, 01:11
I like the HH series of books.....but i'll never re-read them,I'm bias with Fulgrim because I play EC so I'm cool with it, but if I didn't I'de find it abit OTT to be honest. And I never finished DoA, it just didn't really grab me, although FoTE didn't either untill the actual flight through the warp

Vaktathi
11-04-2009, 01:15
I've actually like most of the HH books. Descent of Angels was ok, nothing special and certainly rather off topic IMHO, but it wasn't a terrible read either. I'm on Mechanicum right now, my favorites so far were Galaxy in Flames, Fulgrim, and Flight of the Eisenstein.

Treadhead_1st
11-04-2009, 02:15
It took me months to read Fulgrim. Couldn't stand it, but I think it might be more McNeil's writing style than anything else (wasn't keen on the Um omnibus either). The ending was quite good, as was the whole Slaaneshi thing, but the actual book was, to me, excruciatingly boring. I remember only finishing it so I could put it on the shelf, and wasn't interested in the story itself.

Descent of Angels, on the other hand, I couldn't put down. Stayed up all night to read it (and that was in a bloody comfy bed too). I think it's a very under-appreciated book, being the first in a (irrc) trilogy, and isn't set in the Heresy itself - however it has some rather interesting subtext for the Heresy as a whole, as well as what happens to the Dark Angels, hinting that they had far, far more problems than even the World Eaters did from so long in advance of the schism.

Legion was OK - the start was slow, but the intrigue kept me going, and once I got passed half way (ie things got going) it was pretty good, and the ending was awesome too.

Battle for the Abyss...awful book. I could type an essay on why, but I'll spare you - perhaps it was just me, but I found the writing style repetitive, and certain aspects of the plot too ludicrous even for a BL novel (and yes, I've read Gotto).

First 3...can't really remember. Will have to re-read them. I do remember finding them difficult to keep going with (for the most part), and wondered "what is the hype about?" several times. However, things like Loken's reactions toward the remembrancer saved the series for me (they're what I looked forward to most, as it showed a side to Marines, afaik, hitherto unseen).

Not started Mechanicum or Tales of Heresy yet. I'm not keen on the AdMech, but I picked them up as I bought Titanicus at the same time (and that was more because I'd heard there were Salamanders involved, and Abnett did a good jb of fleshing out an Imperial Civilians' standard of living).

tacoo
11-04-2009, 03:38
i thought descent of angels was the worse. legion was alright but i loved mechanicum. i love the admach and the fact that it reers to the void dragon

Light of the Emperor
11-04-2009, 04:41
I loved FotE...so much so I bought a FW thunderhawk for my GK and named it after the vessel! Legion was tough to get through but I have really enjoyed every HH book.
There aren't many books with bad reads imo...they just have too much cliche stuff in them...ie Ice Guard.

Deadmanwade
11-04-2009, 05:17
Well, I thought most of the books were ok.
I still think that the story of Horus turning to chaos was poorly written though.

EREBUS: "So, do you want to be evil?"
HORUS: "*#%^ Yeah!":wtf:

Despite all the evidence that Erebus lied to him, totally set him up and continued to screw with him even after he'd been exposed as a fraud, Horus still went with him? I liked it better before the books explained why. At least with Fulgrim we get some sense of him slowly sliding into corruption.

Descent of Angels is awful. The writer wrote some mediocre medieval fantasy story and tacked on "...and then the Emperor came and everything was cool, except Luthor was sent home. The End" to make it into a HH novel. There is NOTHING in that book that couldnt be shrunk down to a chapter or 2 at the beginning of the next DA book.:mad:

I thought Mechanicum was really good for the insight it provided into the Emperor. Man, that guy is a total B4st4rd.:)

sabre4190
11-04-2009, 06:00
Well, I thought most of the books were ok.
I still think that the story of Horus turning to chaos was poorly written though.

EREBUS: "So, do you want to be evil?"
HORUS: "*#%^ Yeah!":wtf:

Despite all the evidence that Erebus lied to him, totally set him up and continued to screw with him even after he'd been exposed as a fraud, Horus still went with him? I liked it better before the books explained why. At least with Fulgrim we get some sense of him slowly sliding into corruption.

Descent of Angels is awful. The writer wrote some mediocre medieval fantasy story and tacked on "...and then the Emperor came and everything was cool, except Luthor was sent home. The End" to make it into a HH novel. There is NOTHING in that book that couldnt be shrunk down to a chapter or 2 at the beginning of the next DA book.:mad:

I thought Mechanicum was really good for the insight it provided into the Emperor. Man, that guy is a total B4st4rd.:)

I do agree with you in some parts about the transition being poorly done. Personally, i didnt buy it. The whole thing with showing horus the actual future, where he is not honored by the imperium, was very clever. It brings up some interesting ideas (chaos knew they wernt going to win), and i saw reasons for why horus should convert, but i didnt see enough. Youre talking about a general rebelling against his own father, and i wanted to see some more stuff. There are one liners here and there that give some insights, but none that i truly believed were strong enough.

Erebus never really showed off Iago/Loki levels of manipulation. Those are my favorite villains, the ones who are just so crafty. Erebus wanted to be like that, but his schemes lacked the intricacy to be remarkable.

I usually just remember books 1 and 3, where you get to see some good developments, as well as the awesome character of Saul Travitz. BTW did we ever get confirmation that the whole crew was dead? I remember hearing somewhere that Garv would be showing up again, but this could easily be a flashback. And apparently, in fulgrim there is that big suggestion that some guys could have escaped. I wasnt a huge fan of all the characters, but seeing some of them come back would be awesome.

Though all this prospero stuff looks neat, and are stories that have to be told, im waiting for Horus to get back into the center stage. We saw him set everything up in the first three books, and then step back as other stories are fleshed out. I want to see him get back into the picture.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
11-04-2009, 06:03
I'm just glad that (apparently) I'm so dumb that I can enjoy all the Horus Heresy books they've put out so far. I think we have too many literary critics slumming in the science fiction section.

Imperialis_Dominatus
12-04-2009, 01:49
Loved the first three. The tragedy and irony throughout (because you know how things turn out in 40k, especially the 'might makes right' section) is awesome. Horus' fall could use improvement, but I've got enough imagination to get past it. Also, Sanguinius. And Magnus.

I like Flight of the Eisenstein, especially the description of Dorn.

Daemon swords make lame plot devices, which also sums up my only real gripe with Fulgrim.

Descent of Angels felt out of place but as long as it sets up a story worth the rather rushed ending, I'll be okay. I hope it preserves the ambiguity of the Lion's character.

Legion was sick. Don't listen to people who tell you to just read the last pages. End was rushed and kind of :wtf: in some ways but eh. Still worth it. Especially Grammaticus' description of the Emperor.

Battle for the Abyss had little point save to show the emnity between the Wolves and the Thousand Sons and introduce and kill two awesome characters. Counter should write Ultras as much as Swallow should write Blood Angels- that is, only after heavy fluff-indoctrination and while being coached by better writers (how else could FotE and Galaxy in Flames turn out so good?).

Mechanicum was awesome, though I'll admit the characters besides Zeth, the new Guardian's merry band, and the Fabricator General and Fabricator General Locum were difficult to focus on.

I want Tales of Heresy. But it doesn't come out in the states till the 31st, or so the merry, jeering trolls at Hastings told me.

I also do the DO WANT dance towards the Lightning Tower and Dark King audiobook.

Buddha777
12-04-2009, 02:09
Stick through Legion, its worth it. As others have mentioned the worst is by far Descent of Angels. I thought I was reading a work by a high schooler in a creative writing class (Or worse a CS Goto novel).

If you are looking for a good part of the series Mechanicum was one of my favorites. I'm a bit biased though as it's very mech heavy which is a childhood love.

Horus38
12-04-2009, 02:23
Stick through Legion, its worth it. As others have mentioned the worst is by far Descent of Angels. I thought I was reading a work by a high schooler in a creative writing class (Or worse a CS Goto novel).

Goto's trash doesn't even begin to compare with the worst of the HH books, most of which I found quite good if you consider these are books from Warhammer 40,000.

WorLord
12-04-2009, 03:14
I'm well past the point of being bored with the HH novels. It's time to move the plot forward! I think many of us are just waiting for the battle to reach Earth. If a novel can add something new AND interesting to the fluff, I'm all behind it. Something like Battle for the Abyss - no...:mad:

On the other hand, I'm happy with my purchase of Hellforged. It's not HH, I know but it's nice for my Necrons to get some BL love once in a while. :D

Arcadian
12-04-2009, 03:18
huh.. I liked Descent, and enjoyed Abyss personally. Of all of them I found Fulgrim to be my least favorite.
The newest collection of short Stories (Tales of Heresy) is now amid my top picks for the series.

Imperialis_Dominatus
12-04-2009, 06:08
I don't want them to advance and rush the plot. If they insist on doing a prequel novel for the Dark Angels, I want a few more. I want to explore this tragically hopeful era of Mankind. I want to feel for every single Primarch, to understand why they pursued their destinies as loyalists or traitors, to see them triumph or falter in the face of the darkest temptation. I want to feel the exultation as the Primarchs are found, as Horus and the Emperor lead the Legions to victory after victory, as Mankind overcomes the Old Night to banish the shadows forever. I want to feel the galaxy tremble before the united hosts of Man, from Imperial grunt to mighty Astartes to Battle Titan. I want to savor it before it is destroyed, utterly and hopelessly, by Horus' treachery.

But we're in too deep for that now, I doubt they'll go back. So much for great opportunities. Off to Earth we go. :rolleyes:

Lyinar
12-04-2009, 06:29
The only real problem I've had so far is Battle for the Abyss. The rest, I've liked.

There are some good parts of it, but I still hold that its fundamental problem is that the two Legions that represent the primary protagonists and antagonists are the most utterly boring gits in all of 40k, who both, in their own ways, do things "by the Book".

Sure, the Ultramarines don't have a written-down Codex Astartes to worship as a holy relic of their Primarch's awesomeness, but that's only because he's still developing said book. They still, even before the Heresy, fought by the methods developed by Guilliman that would become the Codex Astartes.

And well, the Word Bearers have always struck me as the least interesting of the Chaos Legions, because they combine all the religious-nutcase fanaticism and bigotry that I had to grow up around in the South of the US with a religion that was actually evil BEFORE they started throwing the "We're right and everyone who says otherwise should DIE!!!!!" crap onto it.

Imperialis_Dominatus
12-04-2009, 06:34
My religion is evil? News to me. :p

Mannheim
12-04-2009, 06:58
horus rising - great intro book for the series. it's one of abnett's best, and really lays out all the details of horus' inner circle, fleshing out new characters and settings.

false gods - rides on the coat-tails of horus rising, but still a good book. nice action, interesting plot, and did a good job at revealing some neat details without being too obvious.

galaxy in flames - the third book of the first unofficial trilogy of the series, this one wraps up the loken/torgaddon vs. aximand/abaddon part of the story (virus bombing, civil war, etc.) and is just kind of necessary, despite not having as high quality writing as its two predecessors.

flight of the eisenstein - the story 'overlap' begins, and it's obvious that this book is just filler. i was pretty bored by the plot because any kind of tension building was just lost in a huge amount of unnecessary detail. i just don't care what happens to garro and his group of escapees, and it's obvious that noone else does either because they haven't been mentioned in the past two years.

descent of angels - i enjoyed this one, but only because it laid out the pre-marine days of caliban. what did it have to do with the heresy? no idea. i think the next DA book will draw a lot of source material from this book, so i'm ok with all the exposition it contained.

fulgrim - this book is entertaining, even though quite a few of its flashy moments are terribly campy and over-the-top. i liked the characters, even though several of them just seemed to serve no purpose.

legion - i love abnett's writing style, and i loved the setting and background that this book lays out. that being said, this book reminds me of the matrix trilogy. it lays out this deep, dark setting, shows you that everything has a hidden meaning; every time you cross a threshold, there's no going back. HOWEVER, the last 30 pages just basically says "oh, the first 400 pages didn't mean a damned thing... so sorry, and thank you come again." i was pretty pissed off. it made no sense for the most paranoid and secretive of characters in the 40k heresy background just accepts what he's told at face value without question. ridiculous.

battle for the abyss - not sure what to say about this one except that it was neat to see marines from both renegade and loyalist chapters working together to thwart the evildoers. i hadn't seen any of this since galaxy in flames, so it was refreshing. otherwise, it's almost completely boring.

mechanicum - still reading this, but it's showing promise.

tales of heresy - just bought it.

Staurikosaurus
12-04-2009, 06:59
Battle for the Abyss is the single most horrible book ever written.

Space Marines who act like teenagers, poor dialogue and plot development and reads like it was written by an 8 year old ultramarine fanboy.

Also, it's incredible how many times the "heroes" get hit in the legs and shoulders, even when running up stairs at a full squad of Word Bearers.

I won't tell you the ending but I'll say this - anyone in this thread could write a better one.

This book turned me off of the entire 40K portion of the Black Library.

However, in my area people tend to enjoy the Horus Heresy series so check it out if you like, but skip Battle for the Abyss unless you're emo.

adreal
12-04-2009, 11:46
And well, the Word Bearers have always struck me as the least interesting of the Chaos Legions, because they combine all the religious-nutcase fanaticism and bigotry that I had to grow up around in the South of the US with a religion that was actually evil BEFORE they started throwing the "We're right and everyone who says otherwise should DIE!!!!!" crap onto it.

I'm not exactly clear on what your talking about, is it Chaos? Then cool, is it whatever religion (I'm assuming Christianity)? Then, as intitled to your opinion as you may be, not cool

Templar-Sun
12-04-2009, 14:43
I live in the US and I bought "Tales" last week!

I've enjoyed every every book, some more than other but that is probably due to the fact I am a 40k fanboy. I'm beginning to realize if its about 40k I'll like it. Actually, I already know this and have known for quite some time. Someone mentioned earlier wanting to savor the story and I agree with this. I'm sure every chaos legion went thru some kind of purge of the loyal. Thats a great plot line and is the plot line of the first three. I think of myself as a loyalist fanboy but maybe I'm actually more of a chaos fanboy at heart. Maybe reading about the good going bad is more fun for me. I'm not sure but the first three were about a "fall from grace" and none of the rest have been about that.

I suppose I'm more interested in Legion x vs. Legion x as opposed to Legion x vs. Legion y.

There are two stories in "Tales" that are solid imho. "Scions" and "Call" again are about the rift widening between the Emperors path and the fall into chaos. "Voice" is pretty good as well.

I'd say if you like 40k read them all. Some are better than others but none are really bad. Unless of course you really are an english major and/or a literary critic. If you truly are a 40k fanboy you'll like them. I am and I do. The chaos seems more interesting to me tho.

Now if and when they start writing about the Imperial Fists(my latest obsession) and/or the Black Templars I'll rejoin the path of the God-Emperor...:P Matter of fact I'm currently working on an "Ark of the Covenant" for my Templars to carry into battle...lol

Templar-Sun

orkz222
12-04-2009, 14:47
Currently reading legion right now quite interesting at page 100+

IMO

flight of the eisenstein - is the worst book (until legion), too brief with the fluff... not much was mention about how the death guard became corrupt... suddenly they are corrupted... and the ending... LAME!!

descent of angels - I like this book, very interesting on the backgnd history of dark angles though not much action.

horus rising (best HH bk),false gods, galaxy in flame, fulgrim excellent

Joewrightgm
12-04-2009, 14:56
See, that is weird.

I loved all the books through Fulgrim. I gave Descent of Angels a fair shake because I play Dark Angels. It was a good book, but ended abruptly. Hopefully Fallen Angels will correct that.

Battle for the Abyss at the time I read it was a good distraction. I got my 40k novel fix, but it was set in the 31st. Oh well.

I LOVED LEGION because it messed up my preconceived notions of the Alpha Legion. Great cloak and dagger stuff.

Mechanicum owns my soul. Mostly because I play Necrons, and I'm a fluff hound. Much is revealed to those who would see it. :) *paranoid whisper* The Dragon sleeps, it feeds . . .

I just finished all the stories in tales of heresy as well. Wow, just wow. stories like the Last Church and After De'shea make this book amazing, well worth picking up.

Overall, the books are great in the series, especially if you're a 'fan of the period' so to speak.

Col. Tartleton
12-04-2009, 15:00
I think what Lyinar was saying is that the word bearers already have the arrogant self righteousness that a lot of people disdain in religion, and not only are they convinced they are right, they know they're evil and they're okay with it. I don't think he was saying Christianity is evil. He's saying he doesn't like how they act like a born again satanic cult.

I too think this is silly.

Shadowphrakt
12-04-2009, 15:03

There is 1 thats worse...the one where the grey knight has to fight in a daemon pit...left it after the first few paragraphs...

TimLeeson
12-04-2009, 15:04
I think their all pretty cheesey personally. I thought Mechanicum was ok and had some fun moments...Galaxy in Flames bored the hell out of me, I couldnt get past the first 20 pages of False Gods and havent felt the urge to go back and havent read Horus Rising yet. The only interesting thing I found about Galaxy in flames was the references to Murder, The Megarachnids and the Interex..

I meant go back to the first two books if they features Murder/Megarachnids prominently though. Is the first book all about that ? if not, they should do great-crusade books instead - way more interesting IMO, least with that you get new alien races and such to explore and learn about.

axabrax
12-04-2009, 15:31

I have trouble taking posts like this seriously. Before I can respect your judgment, how about telling me why it's a bad book? Was it the plot? Character development? Lack of consistency with prior novels in the series? Bad prose? I mean show me that you even have any idea of what good writing is before I trust your sweeping pronouncement: "Wow, that's a bad book!"

I haven't read Flight of The Eisenstein, but I read Swallow's first two Blood Angels books and thought the writing was very good. If you want to see horrific prose, look at anything written by Gav Thorpe or the fiction written in any of the Imperial Armor books. The editing is atrocious, the grammar if off and inconsistent, full of cliches, repetitive, awful word choices, and all around garbage. I like how Gav has left being a game designer to become a "full time novelist."

Mannheim
12-04-2009, 15:39
There is 1 thats worse...the one where the grey knight has to fight in a daemon pit...left it after the first few paragraphs...

actually, that one is amazing compared to the james swallow blood angel books and the SOB book faith and fire. those are awful. i might have something else constructive to say about them but their sheer awfulness is still causing me to have knee-jerk reactions to reading them. awful.

RCgothic
12-04-2009, 15:43
Tales of Heresy had some great short stories.

Blood Games is another Abnett Classic, and really fleshes out Terra in the time of 30k.
Wolf at the Door: Space Wolves do their best to bring a human world terrorised by aliens to compliance and find the result heart-breaking.
The Voice: Sisters of Silence from FotE return. Rivalries spill over into heresy.
Scions of the Storm: Word Bearers rehabilitated after BftA. Anthony Reynolds portrays them well.
Call of the Lion: The Imperial and Calibanite Dark Angels really don't seem to get along too well...
The Last Church: Fantastic Story. A man visits the last church on earth and tries to persuade him to give up his faith to save him from The Emperor's purging of religion.
After Desh'ea: Really makes you feel sorry for Angron, and makes you wonder why The Emperor didn't act in a more sympathetic manner.

Mannheim
12-04-2009, 15:44
I have trouble taking posts like this seriously. Before I can respect your judgment, how about telling me why it's a bad book? Was it the plot? Character development? Lack of consistency with prior novels in the series? Bad prose? I mean show me that you even have any idea of what good writing is before I trust your sweeping pronouncement: "Wow, that's a bad book!"

I haven't read Flight of The Eisenstein, but I read Swallow's first two Blood Angels books and thought the writing was very good. If you want to see horrific prose, look at anything written by Gav Thorpe or the fiction written in any of the Imperial Armor books. The editing is atrocious, the grammar if off and inconsistent, full of cliches, repetitive, awful word choices, and all around garbage. I like how Gav has left being a game designer to become a "full time novelist."

by the time james swallow wrote flight of the eisenstein, his writing must have somehow improved considerably. while that book is nothing spectacular, it's leaps and bounds better than his first few books (as mentioned in my previous post).

as for what is bad, specifically, it's the quality of the writing, the weird character development... i dunno. it's just not 'good sci-fi' (i know that's vague) with a purpose. say that a good book is like the most recent Final Fantasy game... swallow's old books were like Mario Brothers (the first one).

Hlokk
12-04-2009, 18:44
I actually enjoyed most of them, the only ones I didnt like were Battle for the Abyss and the truly godawful Descent of Angels, which is probably up there with Wine of Dreams and Inqisition war on the Hlokk scale of unreadable crap.

Graham Mcneill is, to my mind, the hidden gem in BL. Dan Abnett is the one everyone bangs on about, but Mcneill is making leaps and bounds with every book. I realised this when I actually read Heldenhammer and thought "this is better than Waylander", which he was obviously trying to copy writing style wise. Mechanicum was superb and I have no doubt the next one will be even better. I really hope they let him cover the siege of Terra, he could make a great job of it.

Descent of angels, I've said this before, and I'll say it again, is nothing more than a showboat for the main character Zhariel. THe whole book is essentially a sequence of badly written fight scenes to showboat how hard the character is. For example, he kills a calabanite lion (convenient how he equalled the achievements of a primarch there), gets a fancy sword, gets a special pistol though frankly the most unconvincing deathscene ever, meets the emperor and is also a pissing psychic. Why they didnt just have him pimpslap a hive tyrant and shout "Fo shizzle" is beyond me.

Hrw-Amen
12-04-2009, 19:21
I actually enjoyed the HH series up to and including the flight of the Eisenstein, but since then they appear to have lost the thread. Whilst the first few books had a consitantstory arc, the ones following this have in my opinion devited from this. I have found them hard to read in the context of the HH as they are, or at least appear to be jumping around all over the place from one part of the plot to another with no real reason behind them doing this.

laudarkul
12-04-2009, 19:32
I'm waiting for the Tales of Heresy...I like all of them (with a little sensation of boring on BftA) since they provide some hints regarding the heresy and some info's on different SM Legions/Imperial Army/life of Imperium.

TheDarkDuke
12-04-2009, 19:36
I read this book first (I know messed up, but I just wanted some inspiration for my DG. This book has made it impossible for me to finished the 3rd book of the series, I already read it through the eyes of the DG... So I could see if you read it the correct way the book repeats itself for half the book.