PDA

View Full Version : Learn me about Eldar

Arrg
11-04-2009, 00:58
So, I'm thinking about starting up an Eldar army soon. I currently play Black Templars and Deathwing/DA. I've never even played against an Eldar army or seen one being used so I'm pretty clueless.

How do they match up again CSM/Marines? What units are mandatory if any? Are a vast majority of their units useless? What play styles are effective? How would a gimmick all jetbike list work?

carldooley
11-04-2009, 01:09
if you are expecting gargants, the eldar are probably not going to be for you. By this I mean that all the units in the army, with very special exceptions require support from other units in the army.

the Saim Hann list, the jetbike list, is great if you plan for it. my suggestion for you is to take 2 farseers for your HQs - Jetbikes, Fortune, Guide, & Spiritstones at a minimum - this allows the unit that you put them with to reroll failed saves and failed to-hit rolls. As maxed Guardian Jetbike teams can take 4 Shuri cannons, with the Farseer's Guide, this means that you can put out a weight of fire and never have to close with your target. If you take a Warlock and give it conceal, this gives your teams a save against almost every weapon in the game - not to be overlooked on account of the fortune allows failed saves.

To further amp your force, you could upgrade your warlocks to spiritseers to support the wraithlords which would be a wonderful counterpoint to the teams. On the other hand, you could always go with my favorite Heavy Choice - the Fire Prism: these hovertanks are formidable by themselves, but supported by others of their number they just become scary.

sabre4190
11-04-2009, 01:17
Well, compared to Deathwing and BT you have alot less staying power. T3, a generally mediocre armor save and a high point cost means that heavy bolters tear your army to pieces if given the chance.

As for the bike list, it can work. But you have to take alot of other units as well. I never saw bikes as dishing out quite enough firepower to really hurt your opponent, but ive never faced a good opponent whos really tried to make it work. They work best at capturing objectives on the last turn, which they do extremely well. If you take a core of jetbikes, support by vypers with scatter lasers, maybe a prism and you have a bit more power. I would also consider taking some firedragons in a falcon for the anti-tank power, as bikes just cant do this job.

If you want to cut through other MEQs, the units to do it are banshees, harlies, and reapers. Reapers wouldnt fit the the feel of the army, but banshees and harlies can be given transports to do the job.

sigur
11-04-2009, 01:17
So, I'm thinking about starting up an Eldar army soon. I currently play Black Templars and Deathwing/DA. I've never even played against an Eldar army or seen one being used so I'm pretty clueless.

How do they match up again CSM/Marines? What units are mandatory if any? Are a vast majority of their units useless? What play styles are effective? How would a gimmick all jetbike list work?

Why don't you have a look at the Eldar tactica thread? After reading through it, you can ask questions there. The people there will be more competent and helpful than those who post in 40k General (with the exception of good old me of course :p ).

[SD] Bob Plisskin
11-04-2009, 01:45
Pretty much required units especially for a mech list are:

at least 1 full squad of Dire Avengers in waveserpent with bladestorm
minimum 2 fire prisms

I like to keep to squads of 6 jetbikes with 2 cannons. vypers with scatter lasers are great for support due to the longer range than shurikencannons.

Eldar have a large variety of options for how you can build the army and they will all work very differently. How exactly do you want to play?

Irisado
11-04-2009, 13:13
In addition to the Eldar Tactica thread, you may also find the Eldar Guide helpful, which you can access via the link in my signature.

Hellebore
11-04-2009, 14:14
The Eldar are pansy girly men and their fans bray too much over them.

Apart from that, if you don't use too many guardians your army can be pretty good. Dire Avengers are a nice Troops choice if a little fragile.

Hellebore

Maxtermynd
11-04-2009, 16:57
Eldar are a bit fragile but can dish out a lot of firepower and be a lot of fun. When all of your tanks can move 24" and some 36" per turn while flying, good times are had.

As for the jetbike list, it can definitely work. Check out Fritz's blog over at saimhann.blogspot.com (http://saimhann.blogspot.com/) ; he is truly a master of the last minute objective grab, abusing cover saves and the jetseer smash.

You may have to go down a few posts, as right now he's focusing on his harlequin army, but there are definitely quite a few gems in there.

SPYDER68
11-04-2009, 18:35
Fragile.. Fragile ??

If so fragile why is there a "How to kill Jetbike Seer council" thread thats so long in tactics ? :P

Tyron
11-04-2009, 19:10
saimhann.blogspot.com

I like his videos he seems like a cool dude to play against.

Cain The Good
12-04-2009, 22:55
Hi,
Against SMs and CSMs Orks are a very good army. They have very large numbers which the SMs cannot match and you can advance through their firepower with enough boyz to finish them off in close range combat.
Cain

Arrg
12-04-2009, 23:51
What the hell does that have to do with Eldar?