PDA

View Full Version : Taking Grima or Gollum as a casualty

Sarah S
11-04-2009, 02:34
The player who suffers casualties determines which companies suffer casualties, restricted by the rules on pages 40 and 49.

There are a lot of situations where a player could rig it so that either Grima or Gollum is removed early on as a casualty.

What do people think about that?

lorelorn
11-04-2009, 03:09
I think fair enough. It's a reasonable response to the tactic, to try and 'shake' those two as quickly as you can.

Personally, if I found Grima in one of my formations, I'd be taking as many early courage tests as I could in order to get him out of there. Early At the Double! tests seem the best way to lose the snake.

If you find youself charging your opponent's unit with those one of those in, then you should position yourself so that Gollum/Grima are in a company that won't take casualties until the formation is almost gone. Though as epic heroes shouldn't they automatically join the command company? They will always be front and centre in that case, so that can be worked with or around.

Sarah S
11-04-2009, 03:11
I think fair enough. It's a reasonable response to the tactic, to try and 'shake' those two as quickly as you can.

Personally, if I found Grima in one of my formations, I'd be taking as many early courage tests as I could in order to get him out of there. Early At the Double! tests seem the best way to lose the snake.

If you find youself charging your opponent's unit with those one of those in, then you should position yourself so that Gollum/Grima are in a company that won't take casualties until the formation is almost gone. Though as epic heroes shouldn't they automatically join the command company? They will always be front and centre in that case, so that can be worked with or around.

You can load up the command company beforehand so Grima/Gollum is forced to go in a separate company (Grima in any cav formation will automatically be forced into a separate company 100% of the time). In infantry, a regular command company of company champion, standard, musician and one Epic Hero of you own means that Grima or Gollum have to go into a separate company. Then you just reform so that's the first company to take casualties, and boom, gone.

lorelorn
11-04-2009, 03:28
You can load up the command company beforehand so Grima/Gollum is forced to go in a separate company (Grima in any cav formation will automatically be forced into a separate company 100% of the time). In infantry, a regular command company of company champion, standard, musician and one Epic Hero of you own means that Grima or Gollum have to go into a separate company. Then you just reform so that's the first company to take casualties, and boom, gone.

Yeah, it can be nasty. It's how I would deal with Gollum, try to restrict him to depleting only a single company before he gets removed. If it's a company that costs more than 50 points anyway then Gollum's controller has the advantage, otherwise not.

At least expensive units with We Stand Alone are safe from those two!

Spider-pope
11-04-2009, 14:39

Quite a good solution for getting rid of the bugger. I was wondering myself how to deal with him should he show up, since i mainly use a Moria based army at the moment and Gandalf, Aragorn and Elrond are kinda in short supply when you are using Goblins ;)

Sarah S
11-04-2009, 14:46
Quite a good solution for getting rid of the bugger. I was wondering myself how to deal with him should he show up, since i mainly use a Moria based army at the moment and Gandalf, Aragorn and Elrond are kinda in short supply when you are using Goblins ;)

It's especially easy for Goblins, because as far as I know their Goblin Drummer takes up 3 models in the Command Company (it counts as a drum, standard and taskmaster, and the figures include 1 drum and 2 drummers) so all you need is a standard company champion, and then Gollum or Grima have to go in a separate company, making them ripe for the pickin'.

shadowz
12-04-2009, 03:22
Quick Question along the same line, but where in the books doe say you can only have a max of 4 special figs in a command company. The reason I ask is today we had this discussion at the local GW and we where not able to find any clear cut rule that states the command company is maxed at at a certain number.

Sarah S
12-04-2009, 03:28
Page 68.

And that's not quite what it says.
What it says is that you cannot have more epic heroes in a company than the number of normal warriors, so my above interpretation was not quite correct...

So if you have a banner bearer and champion and musician in the command company, you can still join 2 Epic Heroes to the company, because then you would have:
3 command models
2 Epic Heroes
3 regular warriors

So it would take a little more work than I thought to keep Grima or Gollum out of a command company, but not too much more.

stiggie
24-04-2009, 04:04
as far as i know you cant allocate wounds to gollum as he is "undetected" and u cant allocate wounds to your opponents models :|.. but thats just my opinion..

also gollum is an epic hero so he is able to move from unit to unit if im right???