4 haradrim raider companies, banner, captain
4 easterling kataphrakt companies, banner [Khamul]
1 half trolls company [Amdur]
Mumakil

Any thoughts?

Thanks

dtjunkie19
11-04-2009, 14:46
Where is the infantry? [Not counting the half trolls as they need to be supported otherwise they will be destroyed quite quickly (only defense 5)]. The problem with an all cav list (even with rohan) is that even with the charge you will get bogged down quite quickly by numbers and flankers. And the mumak is quite nice but honestly will quickly find itself alone and surrounded. Especially at 1000 points.

Nu Fenix
11-04-2009, 18:16
I concur with dtjunkie, in that without any infantry in your force other then the Half Trolls, you can face considerable problems.

Is this a force based on what you own, or what you intend to own, as that can influence what we suggest you use in your army.

Be careful with Khamul in your unit of Kataphrakts, as Khamul can't be in the same company as your banner, so even though he can keep them alive with his special ability, at some point you will have to decide if it ends up being him or the banner to die.

How much of this army would you be willing to alter? Some? All? What made you pick these units and characters, as knowing why you picked them can show us what you want from the army, and tells us more about you as a gamer.
Is it because you like the look of the models, and so want them in an army?
Is it because you own them and don't want them gathering dust and ending up as a waste of money?
Is it the theme of a fast moving cavalry army supported by heavy hitters, to smash through the enemy lines?

With all of that answered, we can try better to help you, then saying "Remove X and insert Y".

Babolat360
11-04-2009, 18:46
Yes, this army is based on all the "fallen realms" models I have (apart from the half trolls) and I don't really want to buy several boxes of infantry. I think it would be fun to use an all mounted army but I wouldn't be totally against a few minor changes. Also, why can't Khamul join the same company as the banner?

Thanks

Nu Fenix
11-04-2009, 19:00
p68, under Fielding Epic Heroes, second paragraph - You may never have more Epic Heroes in a company than that company has 'normal' warriors (i.e. not other Heroes of upgrades of any kind).

Because of the banner, if Khamul tried to join that Company, there would be 0 normal warriors, and so Khamul would have to go into a different Company within the Formation.

The risk you have with your cavalry, as dtjunkie said, is being bogged down or flanked, and you will eventually get chewed through. You would have trouble against any Formation that ignored your Resilience for hits, such as Lurtz or Court of the Fallen King, and would also have trouble against a wide infantry force that uses pikes, and can protect its flanks to ensure they force you to go through the front.

The other problem with only one unit of infantry is capturing objectives, as infantry trump cavalry, and with a tough enough block of infantry sitting on the objective, you may have trouble stopping them.

I haven't crunched the points, but will you be using Two-Handed Weapons on the Half Trolls? If you do have the spare 5 points, they would be a great investment in my opinion.

Babolat360
12-04-2009, 10:12
Thanks for the replies.

I've decided to make a few changes:

Suladan
Khamul
6 haradrim raider companies, banner, musician [Khamul]
4 easterling warrior companies (sword+shield) [Suladan]
Mumakil

Total - 860pts

Suggestions for what to do with the extra 140pts?

Thanks

Nu Fenix
12-04-2009, 14:24
You could still squeeze in 4 Katarprakt, without any upgrades but have them joined by Khamul instead of him joining the Haradrim Raiders.

Since you would need four boxes of Eastlings to make your 4 Companies of Cohorts, you could buy 2 Companies of Archers and 2 Companies of Cohort with pikes, since you will own them anyway.

Jorgen_CAB
12-04-2009, 15:19
In my opinion you have much to few number of formations, you will most likely be outmaneuver even by infantry who will flank your cavalry quite easily or cut them down with missile fire, despite Khamul.

I would use the Raider cavalry i two formations with one captain in each and no other upgrades. Useful for flanking in force. Add the Kataphracts as your hammer and use the infantry as the anvil, Khamul can go to whatever unit suits you best for the moment. The Mumakil are fun, so keep that and charge whatever comes near it... :)

I probably would stick with only one Ringwraith at 1000p as well, but you should play with what feels as the most fun army.

Babolat360
12-04-2009, 21:48
I'll give it another go -

Suladan
Khamul
6 easterling kataphrakt companies [Khamul]
3 haradrim raider companies
3 haradrim raider companies
4 easterling companies (sword + shield) [Suladan]
Mumakil

Total - 1005pts

Thanks