PDA

View Full Version : Lost and the damned: what lists are you using?

Lewis
11-04-2009, 14:16
For those of you still plugging away with the old LatD list which editions of the codexes that it depends upon do you use? So far I have continued using its birth era codexes rather than upgrading it when the new chaos codex came along, but with the advent if guard I wonder if it would be better to start using the more modern codexes instead.

I've refrained from using the new chaos marine codex because the chaos lord HQ choice seems impossibly beefy for a human rebellion leader wheras the lieutenant/Arch hereitc seemed perfect. At the same time I feel like the modern guard codex would be more appropriate because then people know what they're dealing with when they look at a Leman Russ or a sentinel or whatever.

Are their other soultions? What do generic LatD players think of the Imperial Armour lists for example, or the idea of running renegade guard using the psyker HQ from the upcomong codex (hard if you're mutant heavy like me.)?

Thoughts please.

P.S I don't play with with summoned deamons so all of those cross generational issues about summoning power specific demons or what ever are moot to me.

Torga_DW
12-04-2009, 04:17
I wrote my own updated codex for LatD. What can i say? i'm a gnome, i like to tinker.

RichBlake
12-04-2009, 04:38
For those of you still plugging away with the old LatD list which editions of the codexes that it depends upon do you use? So far I have continued using its birth era codexes rather than upgrading it when the new chaos codex came along, but with the advent if guard I wonder if it would be better to start using the more modern codexes instead.

I've refrained from using the new chaos marine codex because the chaos lord HQ choice seems impossibly beefy for a human rebellion leader wheras the lieutenant/Arch hereitc seemed perfect. At the same time I feel like the modern guard codex would be more appropriate because then people know what they're dealing with when they look at a Leman Russ or a sentinel or whatever.

Are their other soultions? What do generic LatD players think of the Imperial Armour lists for example, or the idea of running renegade guard using the psyker HQ from the upcomong codex (hard if you're mutant heavy like me.)?

Thoughts please.

P.S I don't play with with summoned deamons so all of those cross generational issues about summoning power specific demons or what ever are moot to me.

Well the FW books have a renegade Guard list which will be defunct with the new codex, but no-one would stop you from using them as traitors.

If you're looking for really playing as LatD though with mutants and all that (so you're playing an "illegal" list anyway) check out the adversaries section of the Witchhunters codex! It's got mutants, traitors and a rogue cardinal in there. It's pretty good.

Gen.Steiner
12-04-2009, 04:47
I've used the Codex: Eye of Terror list with the current Guard dex and the previous C:SM one, I've used the Guard dex by itself, the IA lists, and the Adversaries list with the Guard dex.

My favourite is probably the LatD list or the Adversaries list but by far my biggest traitor army uses the Guard codex by itself!

Hellebore
12-04-2009, 04:51
At its simplest creating a guard army with the chaos marine generic daemons as an option would work.

It's a real shame, I loved that list. I never finished the army I was making for it though so the list disappeared before I ever got to use it.

Hellebore

Gen.Steiner
12-04-2009, 04:56
There's nothing stopping people using the LatD list in friendly or non-tournament games...

Hellebore
12-04-2009, 05:00
Yeah I know, but the disappearance of it just took the wind out of my sails. I was also building a wulfen list at the same time, which I almost finished (and actually played with).

5 wulfen managed to wipe out most of a guard army in 2 turns (20 attacks for the unit is pretty nuts)...

Hellebore

Gen.Steiner
12-04-2009, 05:02
Fair play. Yeh, 13th Company are bonkers. I have one 13th company model, a limited edition runepriest IIRC.

RichBlake
12-04-2009, 06:58
5 wulfen managed to wipe out most of a guard army in 2 turns (20 attacks for the unit is pretty nuts)...

Hellebore

That's why they aren't continued as an army :p

Hellebore
12-04-2009, 07:12
Lol. The whole army consisted of 3 13 man wulfen packs, 2 biker units (1 wolf guard with the wolf lord), 1 13 wolf fenrisian wolf pack, a librarian in terminator armour and a unit of long fangs with melta guns and flamers.

5 wulfen and the wolf lord were all that was left, although they then got into combat range and destroyed the army in 2 turns. 2 demolishers does that to tiny armies.

Hellebore

RichBlake
12-04-2009, 07:21
Lol. The whole army consisted of 3 13 man wulfen packs, 2 biker units (1 wolf guard with the wolf lord), 1 13 wolf fenrisian wolf pack, a librarian in terminator armour and a unit of long fangs with melta guns and flamers.

5 wulfen and the wolf lord were all that was left, although they then got into combat range and destroyed the army in 2 turns. 2 demolishers does that to tiny armies.

Hellebore

To be fair the 13th company in particular were unbalanced, you say two demolishers can kill a small army but they generally don't, scatters and cover saves assure to that.

I wouldn't be surprised if a special character in the new SW codex (whenever that is released) will give some special rule to squads (I think just giving the SW tactical squads rending in CC would be representative...:p) or there might even be the squads themselves, similar to LEgion of the Damned (i.e Oh look, there are some guys who aren't neccessarily part of our army turning up to help us!).

LatD had potnetial, though tbh it needs a full codex to do traitors properly. If I wrote one it'd be a mix of:

Adversaries rules from Witchunters
Generic Daemons from Chaos Space Marines & DH Adversaries
Generic Traitor Marines
Imperial Guard (organised diferently, probably in large mobs of 10-40 Traitors)

Hellebore
12-04-2009, 07:28
One of the problems I saw with is that the elite slot is taken up by storm troopers (set to be even MORE elite soon) so space marines become a bit of a lonely unit in the army.

At what point does the army follow the Guard conventions and when does it stop being guard and becomes a chaos rabble?

Just taking the guard army and adding daemons and marines bloats the list. They would probably have to lose some options to fit those ones in. Mainly because each army is designed as stand alone there are no 'holes' that those units can fill, just a line of units that can be substituted for each other.

So do you just take the guard codex and add marine squads to Elites and daemons to troops (as non choices ala chaos space marine codex) with a few tweaks? Do you drop some stuff out and try to justify why? (traitor guard have less tanks available because of X for example).

Certainly I'd say that the 'platoon' would have collapsed down into a rabble of 55 guys led by their Aspiring Platoon commander.

To allow for the Traitor guard to have everything they should they pretty much turn into 3 arms mushed into one army.

hellebore

Logarithm Udgaur
12-04-2009, 09:33
I used the Eye of Terror list with Loxatl and Death Brigade from Chapter Approved. After all that got scrapped, I used the IG codex by its self. Then I stopped playing because the army did not function in anything like the same manner.

I will probably give it another go with the new codex. The heavy sentinels look great for Stalk Tanks, and there are a few other "chaos" type options in there.

jubilex
12-04-2009, 10:21
I've been running latd and a stealer cult with IG + daemon hunters/witch hunters.

Latd = bog standard IG, vets as death brigade types, assassins, dc assassins and daemon hosts as various daemonaic entities, conscripts as mutant rabbles/minor daemonaic weirdness.
Inquisitors and retinues as all sorts.

The plague cult version does away with the daemonaic stuff and imports grey knights as chaos marines!

Stealer cult is similar, with a broodlord (eversor assassin) and purestrains (arco flaggellants).

Lewis
12-04-2009, 11:21
I think I'm going to go new IG codex + old chaos maine fed through Eye of Terror. The bulk of my army is mutants with the mutation that makes them cavalry (and cost 12 points a piece) plus 8 big mutants (old ogryn) and giant rat/hounds so my chances of appearing to be list building for undue advantage are limited.

Edit: I'm defintiely going to check out Witch Hunters Adverseries though.

Filthy O'Bedlam
12-04-2009, 11:23
I'm not, my LaTD have been shelved. Hundreds of mutants sitting in a box.

I am teh sad Panda