PDA

View Full Version : Are heavy gundrones in the new tau codex?

Hlokk
16-12-2005, 20:08
Right, seeing as we're getting an influs of new drones (Markerlight, sniper etc) are we going to see the appearance of the burstcannon totting heavy drones?

Brimstone
16-12-2005, 20:12
If you buy one of IA3 or one of the older Imperial Armour books yes, they are not in the codex.

The Judge
16-12-2005, 20:53
Expensive in money and points, but with enough of them that's a very scary amount of burst cannon death.

Acolyte
16-12-2005, 22:35
You DO realize that a Stealthsuit is, for 5 points more, better in pretty much every way, right? Better LD, Stealth Fields, Power Armour...the only thing the Drones have is a slight increace in accuracy (TL BS2 vs BS3) and a higher I.

Lanfiex
16-12-2005, 22:56
You DO realize that a Stealthsuit is, for 5 points more, better in pretty much every way, right? Better LD, Stealth Fields, Power Armour...the only thing the Drones have is a slight increace in accuracy (TL BS2 vs BS3) and a higher I.

the drones also have

-- T4
-- can have switch to have markerlights and burst cannons
-- they are heavy slot so there not in competion with the stealth suits.

Pokpoko
16-12-2005, 23:03
-- they are heavy slot so there not in competion with the stealth suits.
instead,there is competing with so much more important hammerheads/sniper drones/broadsides...fair trade:p

Lanfiex
16-12-2005, 23:16
instead,there is competing with so much more important hammerheads/sniper drones/broadsides...fair trade:p

oh dear its so hard, too have a choice! welcome to the world other armies have (execpt necrons). tau codex needed devolping because the army is limited.

Orbital
16-12-2005, 23:35
We don't have the new Tau codex so, unfortunately, we don't know what's in it.

Pokpoko
17-12-2005, 00:01
what hard choice?a choice betwen your best AT weapon and a worsened stealthsquad is no choice.even those fabled markerlights of theirs are no longer any real asset if the rumoured marker drones will be avalible to FW shas'vre.
and most armies don't have a hard choice either-marines take..loads of tornados,eldar take all the tanks they can put into the list, and tyranids max out on MCs...thats the norm,at least.

Brimstone
17-12-2005, 05:42
what hard choice?a choice betwen your best AT weapon and a worsened stealthsquad is no choice.even those fabled markerlights of theirs are no longer any real asset if the rumoured marker drones will be avalible to FW shas'vre.

It's the number of markerlight hits that's important, the more you have the more you can do.

Again though heavy drones are not in the codex.

Orbital
17-12-2005, 05:52
Again, we don't have the codex, so we don't know what's in it. :)

Sephiroth
17-12-2005, 05:54
Again, we don't have the codex, so we don't know what's in it. :)

Brimstone knows what's in it. Tha'ts all there is to it.

Dvalin
17-12-2005, 05:59
Like others have said before me -- if Brimstone says something with that degree of certainty, odds are that he'd right, or at least not far from the truth. ;)

Orbital
17-12-2005, 06:00
Brimstone knows what's in it. Tha'ts all there is to it.

You may be right. But how?

Brightstar
17-12-2005, 07:17
You may be right. But how?

Brimstone's a playtesters or something like that :)

Orbital
17-12-2005, 07:18
Aren't playtesters under a legal non-disclosure agreement?

Nazguire
17-12-2005, 07:20
Something like that, which is why he only gives hints, and only divulges information when a certain time period or the such has passed. If he just babbled all the Tau Empire Codex the moment he got it, he'd be kicked out of the Tech Priests, and probably hanged by the neck until dead as well.

Sir Charles
17-12-2005, 07:27
I thought it was Inquisiter Engel that was a playtester, while Brimstone just had connections inside the studio.

Dvalin
17-12-2005, 07:34
Sir Charles has the right of it. Being an established community figure and having the proper connections, along with a reputation for being careful and reserved with the information given to him by the studio, Brimstone ends up acting as a conduit for those sorts of 'unofficial leaks' that we all know and love. ;)

Orbital
17-12-2005, 07:40
Ok, well let's not turn this into a thing where I end up having to have some sort of fist fight with Brimstone behind the school during recess. :) I'm not trying to get up in anyone's face... I just like to know where my information comes from. No offense to anyone is intended, and that includes Brimstone, so I'm really hoping this stays friendly.

Non disclosure agreements are something I know a lot about. Someone who is under an NDA is forbidden to talk about anything which isn't already publically available from the party you have the agreement with. Saying that Heavy Gun Drones are not in the Tau codex when that person has privileged access to the codex would break NDA and, as such, would incur very real penalites which, in some cases, can include fines and jail. At best, you would never again be put in a position where you are allowed access to sensitive information. If someone's going to break NDA, they'd better do it anonymously.

Like I said, I don't know Brimstone and I'm not picking a fight with anyone. I'm just like to trace the flow of information on rumors I hear so that I can get a sense of how much faith I should be putting into it. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Orbital
17-12-2005, 07:41
Wait: Just re-read what I wrote. I'm not suggesting that breaking a playtesters NDA would put you in jail. I was trying to say that breaking certain NDA's will.

scramasax
19-12-2005, 06:42
But to go in jail for an NDA you will have to talk about the latest development in technological weapon... wait that's what Brimstone do ;)

devolutionary
19-12-2005, 07:07
Ok, well let's not turn this into a thing where I end up having to have some sort of fist fight with Brimstone behind the school during recess. :) I'm not trying to get up in anyone's face... I just like to know where my information comes from. No offense to anyone is intended, and that includes Brimstone, so I'm really hoping this stays friendly.

Non disclosure agreements are something I know a lot about. Someone who is under an NDA is forbidden to talk about anything which isn't already publically available from the party you have the agreement with. Saying that Heavy Gun Drones are not in the Tau codex when that person has privileged access to the codex would break NDA and, as such, would incur very real penalites which, in some cases, can include fines and jail. At best, you would never again be put in a position where you are allowed access to sensitive information. If someone's going to break NDA, they'd better do it anonymously.

Like I said, I don't know Brimstone and I'm not picking a fight with anyone. I'm just like to trace the flow of information on rumors I hear so that I can get a sense of how much faith I should be putting into it. I don't think that's unreasonable.

errr dude, do you really need to bust out the same statement every time someone posts a rumour without naming their source? It's getting tiring, and it's pointless. It is, after all, a rumour thread, not definite news, not a pure statement of fact. Why clutter up the page with double posts and the same lines used over and over. It just makes no sense. Some of us trust Brimstone and his past accuracy, we don't care what his source is. It just confuses me, that's all :eyebrows:

Yay for stealth sutis being more bad ass than heavy drones. I like drones, but they look too much like frisbees for me to really take them seriously.

Orbital
19-12-2005, 07:39
errr dude, do you really need to bust out the same statement every time someone posts a rumour without naming their source? It's getting tiring, and it's pointless. It is, after all, a rumour thread, not definite news, not a pure statement of fact. Why clutter up the page with double posts and the same lines used over and over. It just makes no sense. Some of us trust Brimstone and his past accuracy, we don't care what his source is. It just confuses me, that's all :eyebrows:

Ok, well let me put it differently, then: I like to know where the rumor is coming from. People change information as it gets passed from one hand to another; "I'd like to see this" becomes "it should happen", and "it should happen" becomes "it's probably going to happen", and "it's probably going to" becomes "it's confirmed". If someone has the impetus to go into a rumors forum and say "This is so", then it's well within bounds to say "Where's that info coming from?" I've seen a lot of "confirmed" facts unravel like a loose bandage once someone is asked to give a fact a bit more gravity than "Because I'm in the know". I mean, if you have an anonymous source that can't be named, fine. Just say so. But I want to know that. Am I supposed to not ask because you don't have questions?

I brought up that NDA issue because it was relevant. I'm not picking on anyone. I'm not flaming anyone. I'm not being impolite. I'm not criticizing. I'm not even starting with the assumption that someone is wrong. I just want to know more, so I ask and I do it courteously.

And I'm not going to stop unless it's made clear to me that the rules of the forum prohibit me asking about rumor sources. It's not my forum; I'm a guest here and I intend to abide by the rules. Until then, get off my back.

cenpjas
19-12-2005, 07:49
I was disapointed heavy drones are under heavy. I would of been happyer with them in troop :).....

But really, there not worth taking and I suspect that has hurt sales and put FW for going futher down that path.

I like the idea of heavy drones and other drone types. If you've got a low population and high technology, why would'nt you want to suplement your strenght with drones?

As for Orbital's post, I agree with devolutionary.

-cen

Orbital
19-12-2005, 07:50
Fine. Thanks for making me feel welcome.

DeClaw
19-12-2005, 08:28
I believe that:

A - there is no real place for heavy gun drones in the new codex. Drones arn't here to stand in for battle suites, they (in my eyes) are standard trooper substitutes. They are equiped as such - as trooper (pulse carbine), body guard (shield), scout (marker) or sniper (rail rifle). Heavy weapons (in a tau army) are used by the XV's either the 8's, 88's or the x5's where experiance and training make such weapons usefull to the general.

B - I can see where orbital is coming from and think he should be given a chance (as every member should - this is after all one of the higher quality web forums, thats not a rep that we should want to see lost :)). Orbital I believe that Brimstone has stated or at least hinted as to his source and why he dosn't give more info on it. He has also told us to not take his roumours as 100%, so your level of acceptance of his roumors should proably be at the level that you currently hold them.

Now for the the sake of the other posters who are holding themselves back from unreasonably (or so) posting more 'i'm sick or orbital asking for sources' in these threads, try to only post it once per person you are asking about and (possibly) PM them if you don't get a satisfying reply. Please :).

And I do mean all this in the kindist and most friendly way, please shoot me if I offend.

t-tauri
19-12-2005, 16:40
I think there's a definite place for heavy gun drones in the Tau list as they allow high risk attacks to be made without risking Tau lives. I'd be very, very surprised were they to make it into the new codex as opposed to IA 3 simply because we haven't had any rumours of plastic heavy drones.

Brimstone
19-12-2005, 19:45
And I'm not going to stop unless it's made clear to me that the rules of the forum prohibit me asking about rumor sources. It's not my forum; I'm a guest here and I intend to abide by the rules. Until then, get off my back.

Sigh I really didn't want to get into this. :rolleyes:

No rules prohibit you asking about sources just as no rules stop me from ignoring such requests.

I have multiple sources and they remain confidential unless they request otherwise, as to their validity well that's up to you it's a simple choice but I stand on my record.

And that's my final word on this subject.

Orbital
19-12-2005, 20:02
No rules prohibit you asking about sources just as no rules stop me from ignoring such requests.

It's just a courtesy. Not a rule.

I have multiple sources and they remain confidential unless they request otherwise, as to their validity well that's up to you it's a simple choice but I stand on my record.

If you have confidential sources, fine. Now I know. No drama was necessary. Just "How do you know this?", "I have confidential sources". Fine. Done. Now I know.

And that's my final word on this subject.

It's also your first word on the subject, so that's why I was asking.