PDA

View Full Version : Bloodthirster Options!

MajorCorruption
11-04-2009, 18:57
As I play with my Khorne Daemon army and army list I keep futzing with my Thirster's load-out. I was just wondering if anyone out there had anything to say on the subject. Here's what I've been toying with:

Immortal Fury & Armor of Khorne. - 490
Bare bones, under 500 points and really doesn't loose that much effectiveness.

Immortal Fury, Firestorm Blade, Armor & Collar of Khorne. -530
Immortal Fury, Axe of Khorne, Armor & Collar of Khorne. -530
Both are cheap and fairly effective. I often question the usefulness of killing blow on a Thirster, and I don't like the fact that elves laugh at Firestorm Blades.

Dark Insanity, Immortal Fury & Armor of Khorne. - 545
Its FUN! but I'm not really sure its worth the points. Nine attacks on average, that's eight hits after re-rolls, from that point it really depends on what your fighting... Vs an enemy Monster, T6, your looking at four wounds, Vs man sized lords and heroes I can't help but wonder if I want Axe of Khorne.

Obsidian Armor, Immortal Fury, Firestorm Blade. - 550
Obsidian Armor, Immortal Fury, Axe of Khorne. - 550
Max points, same short comings as the 530 point options. Against magic heavy armies I may be better off saving the 20 points.

Now I know a lot of it depends on what I want my Thirster to do, but I'd like opinions of what people think Thirsters should be doing, and the best equipment to get the job done.

W0lf
11-04-2009, 19:10
Most common tourny build seems to be;

Firestorm blade, immortal fury, Obsidian armour.

I myself think;

Dark insanity, immortal fury, armour of khorne is better. Average of 9 S6 with potential for 14 S6 with hatred is just sick.

I find firestorm blade can be a liability (read: HE) and obsidian armour is expensive for a safeguard, because lets be honest my large target flyer shouldnt be fighting tooled up lords with magic weapons...

EDIT; as to what a thirster should be doing? Killing heavy cavalry with low static and supporting flesh hounds vs block units. A thirster should rarely ever find itself in a fight it cant win.

Classical Mushroom
11-04-2009, 19:14
If its a large game i would go with Obsidian Armor, Immortal Fury and Firestorm Blade. 7 str 7 flaming attacks with re-rolls yes please :evilgrin: Tho it is 550pts so if it's 2000pts thats a little over a quarter of your pts in one model :(

IMO a BT should be taking out the enemy heavy hitters eg Knights, chariots that kind of thing. After that he can easily wipe out common infantry units on his own.

Just watch out for HE dragon armor and your as good as gold :p

Whitesox
12-04-2009, 16:59
Awsome Strength & Dark Insanity

Not much defensive properties but what the hell, khorne is all about dishing it out so its more fluffy!

P.s. on average 6 strength 10 hits a phase deals out a lot of hurt to anything

MajorCorruption
12-04-2009, 17:18
On average Dark Insanity yields 9 attacks!

Whitesox
12-04-2009, 17:22
On average Dark Insanity yields 9 attacks!

bugger i meant

Awesome Strength & Infinate Hatred

but wouldnt it be nice Awesome Strength & Dark Insanity :) up to 14 str 10 attacks per turn :skull:

LKHERO
12-04-2009, 17:22
You can also take Firestorm Blade, Axe of Khorne, Armor of Khorne and Immortal Fury.

MajorCorruption
12-04-2009, 17:35
I was thinking yesterday, how big is a 3+ armor save on a thirster? By my logic it really on provides reasonable protection vs str 5 attacks. =< Str 4 need sixes to wound and => str 6 basically negates the save.

LKHERO
12-04-2009, 17:47
I was thinking yesterday, how big is a 3+ armor save on a thirster? By my logic it really on provides reasonable protection vs str 5 attacks. =< Str 4 need sixes to wound and => str 6 basically negates the save.

It's a must. ALWAYS take Armor of Khorne/Obsidian Armor.

MajorCorruption
12-04-2009, 17:56
Ok, just checking.

bob_the_small
12-04-2009, 18:13
Immortal Fury & Armor of Khorne. - 490.

Add the firestorm blade and youve got a winner

AramilSairSianontel
12-04-2009, 19:10
I would say obsidian armour is a must since the thirster has only five wounds and is a large target...some lucky sixes from an archer unit could do a wholla lot of damage for their points

Disciple of Caliban
12-04-2009, 19:27
^^ but if thats all your worried about armour of Khorne works just as well :)

I run the fairly standard obsidian armour, firestorm blade combo (occasionally gets infinite hatred, but for some reason not usually). Its not the best use of a thirster, but i struggle to resist the allure of general on general combat, so the obsidian armour is a must.

If you use your thirster for taking on enemy heavy hitters equipped with more mundane equipment (monsters, heavy cav etc) then the armour of khorne is perfectly good enough, and leaves you more pts for other things

Classical Mushroom
12-04-2009, 20:53
^^ but if thats all your worried about armour of Khorne works just as well :)

I run the fairly standard obsidian armour, firestorm blade combo (occasionally gets infinite hatred, but for some reason not usually). Its not the best use of a thirster, but i struggle to resist the allure of general on general combat, so the obsidian armour is a must.

If you use your thirster for taking on enemy heavy hitters equipped with more mundane equipment (monsters, heavy cav etc) then the armour of khorne is perfectly good enough, and leaves you more pts for other things

Most heavy hitter units I've played against have a nasty Lord or hero in. Famous last words of a thirster when he takes Armor of Khorne and ends up fighting a Vampire with Frostblade or skaven Warlord with Fellblade.

they normally run along the lines of " Oh crud...... so cold :cries:"

sulla
12-04-2009, 23:50
Famous last words of a thirster when he takes Armor of Khorne and ends up fighting a Vampire with Frostblade or skaven Warlord with Fellblade.

they normally run along the lines of " Oh crud...... so cold :cries:"

Only if you charge or strike first with those. I could see it happening with the vamp but not with the skaven.

Classical Mushroom
12-04-2009, 23:59
Only if you charge or strike first with those. I could see it happening with the vamp but not with the skaven.

I agree its unlikely that the warlord will get the charge but iv seen it a couple of times a thirster has got tied up in a unit of slaves and ended up a pile of ash on the floor.

Hey ho hopefully skaven will get some mounts in the near future like rat riders :D

MajorCorruption
13-04-2009, 07:33
Any strong objections to the Barebones 490 point thirster? He fits really well into a list I'm working on.

Disciple of Caliban
13-04-2009, 11:28
^^ Nope, he works, and is worth the pts, he's just not as deadly as some of the less conservative options

sulla
13-04-2009, 12:03
Any strong objections to the Barebones 490 point thirster? He fits really well into a list I'm working on.Always buy infinite hatred just in case you fluff your to hit rolls. Anything after that is optional though IMO.

MajorCorruption
16-04-2009, 19:43
That's Kinda what I was thinking. Immortal Fury & Armor of Khorne, totals 490 and leave me room for everything else I want to put in. The list looks like this:

Thirster
Herald BSB (Chaos Glory)
Herald
12x Letters (x3)
5x Hounds (x3)
2x Crushers (x2)

I know the 280 points I'm spending on crushers could probably be better spent else where, at least some of it, but I really like the little buggers.

LKHERO
16-04-2009, 20:17
A tip to all expensive monster-types (Prince on Star Dragon, Bloodthirster..etc) Do NOTTTT get tarpitted by useless units because it will always lead to their demise.

jax40kplyr1
17-04-2009, 14:08
A lot of folks have commented previously that obsidian armor isn't really worth the points - I have to disagree. With newer books having more insta-killy weapons, or Str bonuses, multiple wounds, tooled up runes from dwarves, etc. etc., I think protecting your 500+ pt investment is worth it.
My favorite set up is the obsidian armor, immortal fury, and firestorm blade. Lets see: for 550 pts, you should average 6 hits, 5 wounds with no armor save, 3+ armor that negates those pesky magic weapons, 5+ invul - theoretically you could charge it into a fully ranked up unit and win. Or - lose by 1 to combat res - maybe take a wound.
The argument about firestorm blade is with High Elves. Okay dragon armor protects against it - alright - go after something else. Your talking 1 army with a couple units that don't worry about flaming. I'm pretty sure the only other army that has immunity to fire is a dwarf with the rune of furnace, which I have yet to see used.
Maybe if you plan on playing a large amount of high elves I could see the argument, but if not, flaming Str 7 just seems too good of an option to waste.
Str 10 and Killing blow seem a waste to me - the toughest monsters out there are only T6. As far as the armor saves, I think WoC has about the only characters out there that can get a -1 AS, with the majority of everyone else having at best a 2+. Normal Lord level characters should have 3 wounds, so if they can roll 3 6's out of 6 dice, good on them.
Dark insanity - too random for my liking. 2d6 for attacks should average 7, which happens to be your normal attacks. Of course, you could roll 12, you could roll 3. Never know.

Fenrir
17-04-2009, 14:19
I agree with the above about firestorm blade. The "High Elves are immune" arguement doesn't really hold up - a couple of units from one army are immune. Theres plenty of other stuff to bully.

For the record - I use Immortal Fury, Spell Breaker, Firestorm Blade and Armour of Khorne.

MajorCorruption
17-04-2009, 19:54
All valid points and valid builds, I'm not really trying to argue one way or the other.
Just for the record Dark insanity is 2d6+2, which makes a pretty big difference.

LKHERO
17-04-2009, 20:40
My two builds are:

Firestorm Blade, Immortal Fury, Armor of Khorne, Axe of Khorne.
Dark Insanity, Immortal Fury, Armor of Khorne.

2d6+2 attacks is 9 attacks on an average. A Dark Insanity BT is the only BT I would send into a RnF unit alone and expect him to prevail.