PDA

View Full Version : 1000pt Spider Based Army

Nu Fenix
11-04-2009, 20:33
Sitting away at my computer, I was trying to think up different lists for various armies, to get a better understanding of the units available to me, which units to be aware of, and so forth.

Then I thought hit me - I can make an entire army of spiders with Shelob in charge! It is different, no-one would expect it, and just bizarre!

Shelob - 250
3x Giant Spider - 105
3x Giant Spider - 105
3x Giant Spider - 105
Spider Queen - 145
Spider Queen - 145
Spider Queen - 145
Total - 1000

Four Strength 7 monsters, with everything but Shelob re-rolling 1s To Hit, and Shelob herself re-rolling misses, just seems quite harsh!

I have no idea how good it would be, and wouldn't have high hopes for it. But I could just imagine people seeing me pull it out and looking confused, or admitting they had never seen one like it before.

Sarah S
11-04-2009, 20:56
Not a legitimate list. You don't have a proper leader. The force selection rules say you have to pick a common unit and a leader well before you can think about taking allies. Shelob can only qualify as a leader for Mordor lists.

To pull this off, you would need a leader from Misty Mountains. The obvious one is Druzhag to summon more spiders, so it's not totally bad news!

I think a list like this would actually function better at 2000 points, because then you would have enough points to invest in usefully sized units of Giant Spiders, and would be able to take some Broodling Swarms to protect yourself from enemy shooting.

Nu Fenix
11-04-2009, 21:10
I knew it was too good to be true :(

Well, at least I could tweak it to fit in Druzhag somewhere.

However, it's good to know someone out there thinks it has potential with some more points in it, especially someone who knows the rules pretty damn well already.

General Veers
11-04-2009, 21:10
Following what Sarah S wrote, for WotR, see page 85 under "Choose a Leader" for more information on forging your army.

The legitimate list problem aside, the first thought I had about playing against it was "I can take it". It'll be a fun list to play against as I'd be facing D3 and D5 formations. You only have 18 cavalry models (GSB) and if those get near a significant number of archers you may not have enough companies left to support your Spider Queens.

However, all your units can ignore terrain and that's helpful along with the Poisoned Bite special rule. Cool modelling idea; convert Druzhag into riding a Giant Spider! Not an easy conversion but would look just evil. :cool: