PDA

View Full Version : Guild Wars vs. WOW + general thoughts

fellows
04-05-2005, 21:22
Alright so Guild Wars has been out for, I think, almost a week. I remember that there was a thread on Portent1 regarding Guild Wars while it was in the beta test stage. Now the game has been released and I have heard reports that it is significantly better than what it used to be during beta.

Also I have never played WOW. Although many of my friends would never shut up about how good/balanced/fun it was. I almost got to playing it, but I've never been a fan of paying per month. So I'm sure its not new to state that WOW pwnsss111!! or something to that nature. Lately, however, one of my friends dropped out completely because, with the newest patch, apparently the game has gone to crap... especially for the Horde players.

I've got an idea as to why WOW is regarded so high, but if anyone has played it, and especially with this new patch, can describe why/if its become less stellar.

More importantly has anyone played/playing the actual retail release of Guild Wars. It seems preety intresting and fun, also the lack of Pay Per Month makes it all the more appealing.

Basically I am hoping that Guild Wars is worth it since I always end up getting collectors, or limited editions of games. It retails for 99.99 here and although I wouldn't mind spending the cash if Guild Wars does indeed deliver, IT is a LOT of money.

\thanks for your help Portenters, its good to be back Randomly (a)Musing (myself.)

NaT
05-05-2005, 03:22
I own both WoW and Guild Wars. The best way i can describe guildwars is a combo of Diablo 2 PvP and Counter-Strike. You make teams, clans then you fight CS style. Each player has their own roll and they have to play well to win.

So far i likw WoW better. But guildwars is awsome if you dont have long and just want to play a few rounds.

I've only had guildwars for a day, and wow for like 3 months, so guild wars still has alot of time to grow on me :)

Sylass
05-05-2005, 09:00
You know, there's a very nice PvE setup for GuildWars...

I never played PvP so far and to be honest I don't even see a point in doing that. I never liked the PvP stuff in Diablo2 and I don't think I'll really get used to it in GuildWars.

Doing the quests and exploring Tyria (I think that's the name of the world) was what I was doing so far. And as said, it's not likely to change soon. ;)

It's a great game and the fact that you don't have to pay through your nose for playing it (WoW's monthly fee = insane ripoff in my book), makes it superior to WoW if you ask me...

Cheesejoff
05-05-2005, 09:02
99.99? That's quite expensive, here's is 20, which is cheaper than World of Warcraft.

JarLoz
06-05-2005, 10:38
Well, from what I've heard, Guild Wars is all about PVP. Run there, kill that, gank this, corpsecamp him, grief her. Now, I'm sure that there are many people who like casual adrenaline-powered rampage like this. I admit myself that I like to have a bit of virtual bloodshed every now and then.

But really, the main thing in WoW for me is the RP. Sitting around with friends, talking about things is fun, believe me. I've found some really good friends there, and I'm not leaving my WoW for some ganker's wet dream of a game.

(Note that yours truly doesn't really know anything about PVPing, so his views can be a bit off)

Nameless One
06-05-2005, 11:34
I can't really compare Guildwars with WoW, since I do not own Guildwars.

For some reason I have the general idea that WoW is whee bit overhyped. Even though the graphics and worlds design are beatiful I cannot say that it is the best game that I ever played.

It misses the action/customising abilities that Diablo 2 had. (the talent tree comes close to it but isn't perfect in my humble opinion) Next to that the depth of the quests are laughable. The quests in WoW can best be compared with being the delivery boy. "kill # of that and bring me # number of that and I'll be happy"

With a friend I wondered how many hours of the game are spent travelling in this game.

I don't know if these words come from the frustrated addict within me that has spent (read=wasted) too many hours on playing WoW. (and realises that)

In short, I still like the game but it has several drawbacks. Next to that I cannot imagine what the game will be on PvE or RP servers. I have all my characters on PvP servers. The thrill of being the hunter or hunted gives me the most enjoyment in this game. :)